C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranties on new C7 - Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 10:43 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Dennis Fichtner
Correction from KenHorse post, thank you for mentioning us but my brother and nephew sold Fichtner Chevrolet 4 years ago this month, I am now doing warranties at Denny Menholt Chevrolet in Billings, Mt

dfichtner@dennymenholt.com

If you want a quote send me your VIN, exact miles, date of purchase and state of residence-no longer selling these plans in California!!!
Sorry for the mixup but you did me right on MY GMPP policy
Old 08-21-2018, 10:57 AM
Tim Porreca
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18, '19

Got my GMEPP on my 2016 last month from [Dennis Fichtner]. Much cheaper than this.

Keys?! Are you kidding? I bought a replacement key for $65 from gmpartsdirect after my dog ate it.

Last edited by Tim Porreca; 08-21-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:15 PM
Dennis Fichtner
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 80 Posts

Actually Tim you got it from me and thanks again for your business

Dennis Fichtner
Old 08-21-2018, 04:20 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,409 Likes on 612 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

GM Extended Warraties can be bought at discount, big discount. Approx 50%
Fitchner as mentioned above offers them at or around 50%.
As for “are they worth having?”
I bought one for my C5 when it was new but did not purchase it until I was in month 35 of the original 3/36.
Cost $885. With in months it covered an ABS issue I had that would have cost me $3200. My GMPP then was $0 deductible so I paid $0

On to my C6. Bought new in 2008. GM extended warranty again came in to use in 2015. Covered an engine (LS7) replacement. Parts list alone was $17,000. $0 deductible, cost me $0.

Now in a C7 with a GM extended warranty.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:17 PM
realefire
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C5_
The dealer that I'm buying my 2019 Grand Sport from is offering me the following GM extended warranties:
Bumper to Bumper for ownership years 4-5-6: $1,885, $100 Deductible
Tires and Wheels for years 4 & 5: $649
Keys for years 4 & 5: $449

Are any or all of the above warranties a good deal, did you purchase them, would you do it again, are there better extended warranties elsewhere?

Thanks for any input.
I bought a 7 year, 70k mile one. I also bought the tire one but canceled it as it did not cover the wheels, just the tires. I got a good deal and I sleep better at night. This was for my 2015.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:59 PM
chuckrbt
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

This and other threads made me wonder if I needed an extended warranty for my GS that should be delivered next week. I just talked to Rich at Abel Chevrolet and he quoted $1750 for a 84mo/56K miles with $0 deductible, and $1475 with $100 deductible. This was for a GM plan good here in Cali. He also quoted $980 for a 60 month $0 deductible tire and wheel package. This seems to be in the ballpark with other quotes I have seen here.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:30 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,892 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
you don't have to make a decision now. With the Fichtner GMEPP warranty everybody recommends, including me; you can wait till the end of the 36 month/36000 mile BTB warranty and buy another 6 years and user choice miles so you can have up to nine years BTB warranty, BEFORE THE ORIGINAL MILES/MONTHS expires, whichever comes first.

but 3 years from now is maybe 2 years into the C8 generation, and you may not want to spend $1500-2000 for an extended warranty on a C7 if you are drooling over the dropping prices of C8's after the newness wears off.
or
you may get a problematic C7, and be ready to sell/trade-in long before the original warranty expires.

this is one time where pay Fichtner later for an extended warranty is better than pay the dealer now for one at car purchase.
There is a sliding scale of costing you more $ by waiting until later.

Get a sliding quote spreadsheet on your C7, then decide what if anything you want to move on.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 08-22-2018 at 02:37 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:20 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,964 Likes on 5,350 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
There a sliding scale of costing you more $ by waiting until later.

Get a sliding quote spreadsheet on your C7s,, then decide what if anything you want to move on.

​​​​​​​
Yes, there is a sliding scale but it is still better to wait unless you get a special sale that might encourage you to buy a little earlier. I just purchased the 84 month/56K added miles 0 deductible coverage from Dennis. A few months earlier than planned since Dennis had a sale on. Instead of 7 years extended warranty I will only get 6 years and 7 months as the factory B2B warranty had another 5 months to run. However, the price still works out to about $346/yr or about the cost of one repair service per year. Based on all of the surveys I have seen most cars over 3 years of age will need one repair per year. If I decide to get rid of the car sooner than that I can always get a pro rated refund for the unused part of the warranty.

Bill
Old 08-22-2018, 01:28 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by chuckrbt
This and other threads made me wonder if I needed an extended warranty for my GS that should be delivered next week. I just talked to Rich at Abel Chevrolet and he quoted $1750 for a 84mo/56K miles with $0 deductible, and $1475 with $100 deductible. This was for a GM plan good here in Cali. He also quoted $980 for a 60 month $0 deductible tire and wheel package. This seems to be in the ballpark with other quotes I have seen here.
Don't overlook that your factory bumper-to-bumper warranty runs concurrently to the extended one you buy. So in essence, for the 84mo/56K mile one, you're actually paying for a 48mo/20K one...
The following users liked this post:
chuckrbt (08-28-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 05:26 AM
guido7834
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 125 Posts

One question. Does one have to take the car to a dealer for repairs when covered under GMEPP warranties? Because a dealer is the last shop I'd want repairing my car...
Old 08-22-2018, 10:26 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Yes, there is a sliding scale but it is still better to wait unless you get a special sale that might encourage you to buy a little earlier. I just purchased the 84 month/56K added miles 0 deductible coverage from Dennis. A few months earlier than planned since Dennis had a sale on. Instead of 7 years extended warranty I will only get 6 years and 7 months as the factory B2B warranty had another 5 months to run. However, the price still works out to about $346/yr or about the cost of one repair service per year. Based on all of the surveys I have seen most cars over 3 years of age will need one repair per year. If I decide to get rid of the car sooner than that I can always get a pro rated refund for the unused part of the warranty.

Bill
When we got the GM extended warranty for our C6, and more recently for our C7, the wisdom of buying early or late depended on how long one intends to keep the car and especially on how many miles will be driven.
We put on a lot of miles, and got quotes from Dennis for buying at 6 mos/9k miles, or later. For us, buying early was definitely the better deal even considering the longer period of duplicate coverage.
Everyone should tell Dennis their car's current age and miles, and get an additional quote for something a year or two down the road. Decide on what's best for your expected usage.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:36 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by guido7834
One question. Does one have to take the car to a dealer for repairs when covered under GMEPP warranties? Because a dealer is the last shop I'd want repairing my car...
1. There are some dealers out there who do excellent work, and (within the limits of the contract) you would pay only the deductible.

2. Our previous plan allowed for non-GM shops to do the work, but there was no guarantee that all of their charges would be covered by the policy. And they might want you to pay up front, then wait for the policy to reimburse you. If the repairs don't solve your problem and more work is needed, that could get sticky with a non-GM shop.
At one time, we too didn't have a nearby dealer that I trusted, and I had the old GMPP plan cover some repairs. I did have to pay additional out-of-pocket, not a huge amount but something.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:17 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

I generally avoid extended warranties, but on the new cars with multiple computers and extensive electronics, the cost of a major electronic repair can be heart stopping. Add to that the "unsual" drive train of the 'vette and any drive train maintenance is gonna be spendy, so shopping for the best price on a GM extended warranty made sense..
Old 08-23-2018, 09:26 AM
C5_
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you wait to purchase the GMPP on a new car don't you run the risk of the coverage price increasing when you purchase later on? GM can raise their price and or change the terms of their coverage and likely will if you wait, say 2-3 years, before you buy the coverage, yes?
Old 08-23-2018, 10:28 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by C5_
If you wait to purchase the GMPP on a new car don't you run the risk of the coverage price increasing when you purchase later on? GM can raise their price and or change the terms of their coverage and likely will if you wait, say 2-3 years, before you buy the coverage, yes?
That's correct, and price increases seem pretty common over time.
The increases when you get past the "inflection points" in their pricing curve (i.e., past certain mileage or age points) are quite large, but the yearly general increases are usually much less. Dennis told me he can't predict the yearly increases or lack thereof.

In the past, buying the policy to beat a certain annual deadline (usually in the Fall, IIRC) was a minor consideration for me but buying to beat a certain mileage deadline was major.

Old 08-23-2018, 01:36 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,253 Likes on 3,482 Posts

Wouldn't have one.

Research is clear and consistent that by far and way most never need it and lose their money.

Yeah, yeah, everyone "knows" someone, somewhere who made out like bandits because they had it, much like the two-pack-a-day smoking centenarian everyone knows. To each their own.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:44 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Avanti
Wouldn't have one.

Research is clear and consistent that by far and way most never need it and lose their money.

Yeah, yeah, everyone "knows" someone, somewhere who made out like bandits because they had it, much like the two-pack-a-day smoking centenarian everyone knows. To each their own.
There is a big difference between "never need it" and "lose your money."
We use our 'vettes for long road trips, and every one of them except our almost-new C7 has left us needing repairs far from home. Instead of wasting our vacation trying to fix the car in a parking lot or trying to find someone who will fix it without ripping us off; we get a CF recommendation for a dealership, drive or tow the car there, give 'em the keys, hop in the free loaner car, and say "call my cellphone when it's fixed." The convenience we've received from those events alone is enough to justify the warranty cost.

I'm that someone. In addition to the convenience of road trip repairs, we have indeed "made money" on our three GM extended warranties. Not everyone will have our bad (good?) luck, and a few will totally waste their money. But if you buy the warranty at a good price, put lots of miles on the car, and insist that any problems be fixed instead of just living with them, it can be worthwhile.
I've had several insurance policies on other things where the issuing company grossly miscalculated their future losses for the group, not just me. I saved a lot of money until they figured it out and rates skyrocketed, then I bailed. I sometimes joke that GM went bankrupt because they underpriced our Corvette extended warranties so badly.
Normally, I don't buy warranties/insurance on any product that I can afford cover by myself. But our experience with Corvettes has been different.

BTW, I don't smoke.

Get notified of new replies

To Extended Warranties on new C7 - Yes or No?

Old 08-23-2018, 10:17 PM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

I have the extended and wheels damage warranty
Old 08-31-2018, 01:36 AM
Badgerfan87
2019 GS Coupe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

[QUOTE=C5_;1597830021]The dealer that I'm buying my 2019 Grand Sport from is offering me the following GM extended warranties:
Bumper to Bumper for ownership years 4-5-6: $1,885, $100 Deductible
Tires and Wheels for years 4 & 5: $649
Keys for years 4 & 5: $449

One theme that keeps showing up on the warranty threads is NEVER EVER buys a third party warranty.. My first new car out of college was a 1986 Camaro
IROC Z28 and i was suckered into buying a third party warranty where the company eventually went out of business when i needed to file a claim.
I have had GMPP (platinum) 7yrs /56k miles on my 2019 GS .. Since i live in a winter climate the time is more important than the mileage.
I have had GMPP on 3 suburbans , 1 Tahoe, 2011 C6 GS and now on my 2019 C7 GS
I have $100 Deductible. I have never had issues with getting a claim covered.

Think of the warranty as insurance and amortize the cost of the warranty over the holding period of your vehicle and in many cases you can transfer the
warranty to the new owner of your car in the event of having to sell it while the warranty is still in effect

Tires/Wheels i am on the fence. my quote was $800 approx for the GM wheel/Tire coverage for 5 years.. Still deciding on the wheel/tire.

Dan

Dan
Old 05-28-2019, 09:00 PM
kratedisease
Melting Slicks

Received 2,088 Likes on 906 Posts

I just want to leave a great review for Dennis Fichtner who is a Vendor for the GM backed Extended Warranty service contracts.

I purchased a Platinum protection plan back 3 1/2 years ago in 2016 for my 2014 stingray Z51 2LT that I had purchased used with only 4K miles. The car had about 8 months left on the 3/36 factory warranty when I bought the car. I had two claims that were both very expensive and were covered in full. I paid $1700 for the platinum plan and it paid out a total of $4500 in claims. One day, past factory 3/36 warranty, I was closing my convertible top, and the hydraulic oil from the convertible top started squirting into the interior. Turns out that One of the hydraulic hoses broke. That required disassembly of the entire convertible top assembly and even removal of the passenger seat to repair. My service advisor told me that repair was $2000 paid in full by GMEPP. Then at around 15K miles my fuel gauge stopped working. Well turns out to reach the fuel sending unit to repair the fuel gauge, the entire differential and transmission had to be dropped because the fuel tanks that contain the defective fuel sending units are above the transmission in the rear. I saw the actual paperwork on that repair and it showed that the GMEPP paid $2500 on that repair.

I just traded in that 2014 stingray towards a newer Z06 and cancelled the remaining warranty coverage and got $780 back refunded from Dennis Fichtner since the plan still had 3 years left with only 23K miles on the odometer. ( I purchased a 7 year plan for 56K added miles)

And now I am going to make sure that I am also covered on my new Z06 by purchasing a plan from Dennis.

I shopped around and he matched the best price I was given by several other dealers.

Best price, best service, questions always answered-Dennis always calls back or emails back, while at the same time having piece of mind knowing I am covered for any repairs-- especially since I street park my corvette all year round, it lives on the street in the snow and and simmers on the street in blasting summer heat, and daily drive my Corvette.

Great to have a vendor of these excellent GM backed extended warranty's/service contracts who is price competitive here on the forums.

A great asset to the Forum here to have Dennis Fichtner selling these plans, discounted due to volume.

here is his contact info for anyone looking to buy a plan.

Dennis Fichtner
406-896-3082 OFFICE
406-698-6355 CELL
dfichtner@dennymenholt.com

Last edited by kratedisease; 05-28-2019 at 09:08 PM. Reason: added contact info

Quick Reply: Extended Warranties on new C7 - Yes or No?