Sponsored by:

Explain Header Match Up to Me

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 08:53 AM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Explain Header Match Up to Me

I have NPP exhaust on my 2014 Z51. I have a Borla X-pipe sitting at home waiting for me to stop being lazy and put it in.

In the future, I want to do headers. With the Borla X-pipe, does that mean I need to do mid-length headers? Are there disadvantages to mid-length vs full-length headers?

Basically, can I still make headers work with the X-pipe, or should I just not even install it?
Old 09-25-2018, 10:28 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

The Borla X pipe bolts up like stock. So far the only headers I know that will bolt directly to the Borla X pipe are the ARH Midlengths. This is exactly what I did on my C7. ARH Mids into Borla Catless X into Borla S-Type NPP rear section. Sounds amazing.

If you want longtubes you won't be able to use the Borla X pipe unless you cut it and that would only work if you buy a header package that allows you to cut and band clamp into the factory exhaust. You can pretty much treat the Borla X pipe just like OEM xpipe fitment when trying to figure out what will fit.
The following users liked this post:
LbulletM (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 12:38 PM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
The Borla X pipe bolts up like stock. So far the only headers I know that will bolt directly to the Borla X pipe are the ARH Midlengths. This is exactly what I did on my C7. ARH Mids into Borla Catless X into Borla S-Type NPP rear section. Sounds amazing.

If you want longtubes you won't be able to use the Borla X pipe unless you cut it and that would only work if you buy a header package that allows you to cut and band clamp into the factory exhaust. You can pretty much treat the Borla X pipe just like OEM xpipe fitment when trying to figure out what will fit.
That is exactly the answer I was looking for. Thank you. I knew the Borla was basically stock minus the cats, but wasn't sure if replacing the X-pipe would be a waste of money if I would have to rip it out later. Basically didn't know from stock either haha.

Sounds like ARH midlengths are the choice with the current set up!

Are there really any significant tangible benefits to longtube vs mid?

Last edited by LbulletM; 09-25-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:39 PM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by LbulletM
That is exactly the answer I was looking for. Thank you. I knew the Borla was basically stock minus the cats, but wasn't sure if replacing the X-pipe would be a waste of money if I would have to rip it out later. Basically didn't know from stock either haha.

Sounds like ARH midlengths are the choice with the current set up!

Are there really any significant tangible benefits to longtube vs mid?
Longtubes are a little louder than mids and worth maybe 5-8HP/TQ on a stock heads and cam LT1. Unless you're tracking the car you won't miss the power. Some dyno graphs show even less of a gain over LT's. I had my reservations about mids vs LT's but I, like you, had already invested in the Borla X pipe. I have no regrets going mids at all. In fact my C5 Z06 and my C6 Z06 both had long tubes which is why I was worried about mids on my C7. I was afraid it wouldn't sound as good or the power gain wouldn't be felt or I would be disappointed in the seat of the pants feeling. I was able to dismiss all of those worries. ARH Mids are a wonderful product. You won't regret it.

The great thing about the ARH mids is that the car still retains most of its docile behavior in tour mode. Car is quiet on the highway in tour mode but deafening loud at full throttle in Track mode. To me it really is the best of both worlds. I researched for a long long time before making the decision I did on my setup. I get so many compliments on how my car sounds. It's a little unique because of the mids which changes the tone and volume itself, then the Borla X pipe being stainless steel and the design of the real X section(based on nascar proven design) changes the tone even more away from what you would expect. Then add the deep rumble of the Stainless Steel Borla S-Type rear section. It's like a fine tuned instrument making loud beautiful BALD EAGLES from the tailpipes.

I've heard a lot of loud exhausts on a lot of different cars. Some people don't realize there is more to it than just being loud. It has to have the right tone and feel and sound and I have it in spades.

Last edited by Internets_Ninja; 09-25-2018 at 01:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Internets_Ninja:
ajcarson11 (08-18-2019), LbulletM (09-25-2018)
Old 09-25-2018, 01:43 PM
LbulletM
Burning Brakes

Ahhhh, BALD EAGLES is exactly what I'm going for. Thanks again for all of the help!

Get notified of new replies

To Explain Header Match Up to Me

Quick Reply: Explain Header Match Up to Me