C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper Hood Closing Procedure

 
Old 10-02-2018, 10:50 AM
  #1  
gmarcucio
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gmarcucio's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Location: Hagaman New York
Posts: 645
Liked 84 Times in 68 Posts
Default Proper Hood Closing Procedure

Is there a recommended or proper hood closing procedure? When closing the hood should the hood be held a certain height and then dropped to close it? Or should it be gently rested on its latches and then pressed on one side at a time to close it? Looking in the owners manual it says, "pull the hood down and close it firmly"
gmarcucio is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 11:00 AM
  #2  
Slynky
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Slynky's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2012
Location: McDonough, Georgia
Posts: 1,157
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gmarcucio View Post
Is there a recommended or proper hood closing procedure? When closing the hood should the hood be held a certain height and then dropped to close it? Or should it be gently rested on its latches and then pressed on one side at a time to close it? Looking in the owners manual it says, "pull the hood down and close it firmly"
Interesting question (in that it is hinged on the front--never had a car like that). Without having taken possession of mine, my first inclination is to NOT press on a paint job on any car...
Slynky is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 11:07 AM
  #3  
KCV
CF Senior Member
 
KCV's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 417
Liked 176 Times in 93 Posts
Default

In order for both latches to secure I drop the hood from a couple feet up. If I donít slam it rather hard only one latch usually catches.
KCV is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by KCV:
danh63 (10-02-2018), JK 23112 (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 11:10 AM
  #4  
eboggs_jkvl
Tech Contributor
 
eboggs_jkvl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 10,420
Liked 1,049 Times in 589 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist
Default

Yup, I let it drop also. 1 -2 feet and let it drop. Gently lowering it and then pushing on the corners to "latch" might break the hood.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 10-02-2018 at 11:11 AM.
eboggs_jkvl is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by eboggs_jkvl:
owc6 (10-02-2018), Slynky (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 11:13 AM
  #5  
Zjoe6
CF Senior Member
 
Zjoe6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Location: West Bend, WI
Posts: 2,368
Liked 560 Times in 428 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KCV View Post
In order for both latches to secure I drop the hood from a couple feet up. If I donít slam it rather hard only one latch usually catches.
Same here. Very easy closing hood if you drop it from the correct height. My 2004 was a pain to close. Took just the right touch. This one is easy as long as itís NOT dropped from 6 inches.

Last edited by Zjoe6; 10-02-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Zjoe6 is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 11:13 AM
  #6  
Slynky
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Slynky's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2012
Location: McDonough, Georgia
Posts: 1,157
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl View Post
Yup, I let it drop also. 1 -2 feet and let it drop. Gently lowering it and then pushing on the corners to "latch" might break the hood.

Elmer
LOL... that's a scary thought !
Slynky is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 11:14 AM
  #7  
gmarcucio
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gmarcucio's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Location: Hagaman New York
Posts: 645
Liked 84 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Slynky View Post
Interesting question (in that it is hinged on the front--never had a car like that). Without having taken possession of mine, my first inclination is to NOT press on a paint job on any car...
I'm not really sure if pressing on the paint is really the issue. When closing a rear hinged hood most times you press the hood down to latch it. If concerned about finger prints keep a soft cloth handy for this purpose. I was asking the question because letting the hood drop I would think would hammer items such as the latches and the hood structure itself. But I'm not sure, that's why I wanted the input from members. When I owned my C6 I used to hold it and let it slam down. Then one day I had another Corvette owner tell me not to close it that way. He said to lower the hood onto the latches and then lightly take a soft cloth and press down on each side to latch it. Now that I have my new C7 I was showing the engine to some friend Vette owners and then closed the hood in this manner and they yelled at me and said don't close it that way and to hold it up and let it slam. I would think it either one of these two methods were incorrect it would state it in the owners manual. Is it just personal preference?
gmarcucio is offline  
The following users liked this post: gmarcucio
Slynky (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 11:18 AM
  #8  
Slynky
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Slynky's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2012
Location: McDonough, Georgia
Posts: 1,157
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gmarcucio View Post
I'm not really sure if pressing on the paint is really the issue. When closing a rear hinged hood most times you press the hood down to latch it. If concerned about finger prints keep a soft cloth handy for this purpose. I was asking the question because letting the hood drop I would think would hammer items such as the latches and the hood structure itself. But I'm not sure, that's why I wanted the input from members. When I owned my C6 I used to hold it and let it slam down. Then one day I had another Corvette owner tell me not to close it that way. He said to lower the hood onto the latches and then lightly take a soft cloth and press down on each side to latch it. Now that I have my new C7 I was showing the engine to some friend Vette owners and then closed the hood in this manner and they yelled at me and said don't close it that way and to hold it up and let it slam. I would think it either one of these two methods were incorrect it would state it in the owners manual. Is it just personal preference?
Well, I'll be interested in seeing if the two approaches can be resolved into a preferred method (unlike the auto/manual and black/chrome wheel discussions... LOL).

All my previous cars were rear hinged and metal. My current car--due to be sold today--is a 370Z and I have learned its sweet spot--about 6-8 inch drop). However, keeping a MF cloth around is a nice idea but then again, I read that post above about a chance of cracking or breaking the corner by pressing down.
Slynky is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 11:23 AM
  #9  
dvilin
CF Senior Member
 
dvilin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Rochester New York
Posts: 39,187
Liked 3,150 Times in 2,252 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KCV View Post
In order for both latches to secure I drop the hood from a couple feet up. If I donít slam it rather hard only one latch usually catches.
Same here usually works other times you have to press on it to get it latched. Fortunately or perhaps not I do not open the hood that often.
dvilin is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 11:26 AM
  #10  
ant812
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2003
Location: voorhees nj
Posts: 222
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Default

I don't think it really matters. I do it both ways depending on my mood, always have. don't have my c7 yet, but I have done this on an 85, 92, 99, and 05. I had a 71 that had to be pushed down on each side because the air cleaner used to barely touch the hood, didn't way to drop that one.
ant812 is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 11:28 AM
  #11  
ahero4eternity
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: San Diego
Posts: 776
Liked 198 Times in 126 Posts
Default

I gently lower mine and press on each latch with a microfiber.
ahero4eternity is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 11:30 AM
  #12  
gmarcucio
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
gmarcucio's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Location: Hagaman New York
Posts: 645
Liked 84 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ant812 View Post
I don't think it really matters. I do it both ways depending on my mood, always have. don't have my c7 yet, but I have done this on an 85, 92, 99, and 05. I had a 71 that had to be pushed down on each side because the air cleaner used to barely touch the hood, didn't way to drop that one.
Well...has anyone damaged a hood from using either method?
gmarcucio is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 11:31 AM
  #13  
Sconn
CF Senior Member
 
Sconn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2018
Location: Washington State
Posts: 853
Likes: 0
Liked 282 Times in 192 Posts
Default

Rubbing your fingerprints off a dirty car can do more damage than just leaving the fingerprints until you wash it. Especially depending on the quality of your microfiber cloth. The less you touch your paint, the better.

If you must clean the fingerprints off, always use a detail spray.
Sconn is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 11:33 AM
  #14  
The HACK
CF Senior Member
 
The HACK's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2018
Posts: 559
Liked 267 Times in 149 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl View Post
Gently lowering it and then pushing on the corners to "latch" might break the hood.
It's going to take significant twisting force to break CFRP.
The HACK is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 11:38 AM
  #15  
Slynky
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Slynky's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2012
Location: McDonough, Georgia
Posts: 1,157
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by the hack View Post
it's going to take significant twisting force to break cfrp.
cfrp?

(Wow! Won't let me edit to capitalize those letters...weird)

Last edited by Slynky; 10-02-2018 at 11:39 AM. Reason: CORRECTION
Slynky is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 11:52 AM
  #16  
96GS#007
Tech Contributor
 
96GS#007's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2000
Location: Los Angeles CA
Posts: 8,448
Liked 242 Times in 209 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Slynky View Post
cfrp?

(Wow! Won't let me edit to capitalize those letters...weird)
CFRP aka carbon fiber
96GS#007 is offline  
The following users liked this post: 96GS#007
Slynky (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 12:03 PM
  #17  
Co-Vette
CF Senior Member
 
Co-Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: Fairfax VA
Posts: 195
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Default

When I took Museum delivery, they had me stand in front of the car, fingers of both hands in the hood vent louvers (you can put a cloth over it if you have one handy) then lower the hood to about 1 ft above the latches, then one quick push of the hood to close. They had me practice a few times. Works almost all of the time for me. They discouraged the final left-right latching after lowering the hood to the latch which seems safer than the drop but could also crack the hood. YMMV.

Last edited by Co-Vette; 10-02-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Co-Vette is offline  
The following users liked this post: Co-Vette
Slynky (10-02-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 12:12 PM
  #18  
Bubbletop409
CF Senior Member
 
Bubbletop409's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: Castro Valley State of Insanity
Posts: 1,371
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Zjoe6 View Post


Same here. Very easy closing hood if you drop it from the correct height. My 2004 was a pain to close. Took just the right touch. This one is easy as long as itís NOT dropped from 6 inches.
Totally agree with that statement. My current 2016 hood closes easily with the two foot drop previously mentioned, unlike the hood of my 02 which could be problematic regardless of the procedure used.
Bubbletop409 is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 12:22 PM
  #19  
KCV
CF Senior Member
 
KCV's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2018
Location: Texas
Posts: 417
Liked 176 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Co-Vette View Post
When I took Museum delivery, they had me stand in front of the car, fingers of both hands in the hood vent louvers (you can put a cloth over it if you have one handy) then lower the hood to about 1 ft above the latches, then one quick push of the hood to close. They had me practice a few times. Works almost all of the time for me. They discouraged the final left-right latching after lowering the hood to the latch which seems safer than the drop but could also crack the hood. YMMV.
That’s an interesting way to do it that I never thought of. I just grasp the rear edge of the hood at the midpoint and drop it.

Last edited by KCV; 10-02-2018 at 12:26 PM.
KCV is offline  
Old 10-02-2018, 12:24 PM
  #20  
Hopper12
CF Senior Member
 
Hopper12's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Location: SLC area Utah
Posts: 1,117
Liked 603 Times in 308 Posts
Default

Never thought about it. Whichever side of the car I'm on, I just grab the corner of the hood and 'throw' it down with the right amount of force. Closes great every time. I'm not going to worry about a finger print or two on the corner of the hood, and if that cf hood breaks from closing it I'd be totally shocked.
Hopper12 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Proper Hood Closing Procedure


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: