Sponsored by:

Not a nice dealership!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 01:30 PM
Deweyox
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony s
I was told by the service department of Robert Chevrolet in Hicksville, NY to go back to the dealer I bought the car from if I had any possible warranty items. First time for me. I’ve brought other cars there without a question to do regular & warranty repairs. I purchased a 2019 grandsport out of state. I am concern about the paint on the barrels of the chrome rims didn’t look right. Just wanted them to look. They made jokes and said sorry. Has anyone experienced this?
they shouldn't make jokes but seriously, I hate to be the one to tell you the jokes on you with the black rims. Get a can of Rustoleum black paint and fix it yourself.
The following users liked this post:
iw172 (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 02:55 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
I didn't want to deal with this so I found a decent dealership and ordered through them to make sure I had a good relationship so I could feel good about getting my car serviced there.
It might be short-sighted on my part, but before I would spend an additional $5-7,000 more for a Corvette at a local Long Island dealer just to keep them happy and service my car, I would stop buying Corvettes. While I like my play toys as much as the next person, it isn't a daily driver, and for the 1,500-2,000 miles per year I use it, I probably wouldn't be that much less happy driving a Mustang GT350 or something similar; or just abandon my "always buy American" and pick up a 488 or 570S.
AORoads (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 03:03 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
It might be short-sighted on my part, but before I would spend an additional $5-7,000 more for a Corvette at a local Long Island dealer just to keep them happy and service my car, I would stop buying Corvettes. While I like my play toys as much as the next person, it isn't a daily driver, and for the 1,500-2,000 miles per year I use it, I probably wouldn't be that much less happy driving a Mustang GT350 or something similar; or just abandon my "always buy American" and pick up a 488 or 570S.
you could still buy it wherever you like and get it serviced in NJ. There are 3 dealers right over the GW that will service any Chevy. (paramus, hawthorne, schumacher)
Old 10-10-2018, 03:04 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
I don't blame you. I paid probably about $1.5 to $2k more than if I bought one remotely and I did it for the above reason and the fact I didn't want to buy a car without being able to physically inspect it first. I wouldn't have paid $5-7k more for that either.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:30 PM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 369 Likes on 218 Posts

Dealers live for the surveys. Each bad survey means less money from the manufacturer for their quarterly and yearly bonuses. This can be big money to the owner and GM over a year. It may also end employment for the appropriate department manager/employee. The sales surveys are reviewed with each salesman at the end of each month and an explanation for each bad survey is required. All departments surveys are reviewed each month with the department head and most employees. if you get to specific on the survey the GM/DM will figure out who wrote in.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:32 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RMS73
Dealers live for the surveys. Each bad survey means less money from the manufacturer for their quarterly and yearly bonuses. This can be big money to the owner and GM over a year. It may also end employment for the appropriate department manager/employee. The sales surveys are reviewed with each salesman at the end of each month and an explanation for each bad survey is required. All departments surveys are reviewed each month with the department head and most employees. if you get to specific on the survey the GM/DM will figure out who wrote in.
Unless they actually accept the car for service, the OP won't get a survey, they told him to go pound sand.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:51 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

I am not sure how the original warranty reads but the Chevrolet protection plan states in case of breakdown you should return your vehicle to the selling dealer or nearest dealership to ensure proper service etc.

It does go on to say if the selling Chevrolet dealer or authorized dealership is not available you can take the car to any licensed repair facility but that the repair must be authorized first.

I wonder if if you took the car to another brand GM dealer or a good Indy and tried to get authorization because basically no local dealer will service your car what might happen.

I had had this issue years ago with a Ford dealer. I bought a GT 500 from a distant dealer and my usual local dealer got pissed and would not service it. What they didn’t know was at the time I had both my fleet vehicle business and my parts business at said dealer to the tune of about 750k a year combined sales. So their refusal to service one car lost them millions in business. I not only cancelled everything I had with them but took them off my future bidder list and encouraged every other fleet buyer I knew to do the same.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:27 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Thunder22
you could still buy it wherever you like and get it serviced in NJ. There are 3 dealers right over the GW that will service any Chevy. (paramus, hawthorne, schumacher)
You don't really mean to say a guy living on Long Island has to take either the Belt Pkwy. or some other means to go over the GW Bridge, or the tunnels to get his car serviced with maybe 25 dealers between his home and New Jersey---do you? I find that ludicrous and some very bad performance by the Long Island dealers if only a few out of the dozen or so will service his "not-bought-at-our-store" Corvette. Wouldn't you agree?
Old 10-10-2018, 06:40 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AORoads
You don't really mean to say a guy living on Long Island has to take either the Belt Pkwy. or some other means to go over the GW Bridge, or the tunnels to get his car serviced with maybe 25 dealers between his home and New Jersey---do you? I find that ludicrous and some very bad performance by the Long Island dealers if only a few out of the dozen or so will service his "not-bought-at-our-store" Corvette. Wouldn't you agree?
he can do whatever he likes read my other posts i already agreed that the LI dealers suck except for East hills.

Last edited by Thunder22; 10-10-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:03 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by z06inVB
I am not sure how the original warranty reads but the Chevrolet protection plan states in case of breakdown you should return your vehicle to the selling dealer or nearest dealership to ensure proper service etc.

It does go on to say if the selling Chevrolet dealer or authorized dealership is not available you can take the car to any licensed repair facility but that the repair must be authorized first.

I wonder if if you took the car to another brand GM dealer or a good Indy and tried to get authorization because basically no local dealer will service your car what might happen.

I had had this issue years ago with a Ford dealer. I bought a GT 500 from a distant dealer and my usual local dealer got pissed and would not service it. What they didn’t know was at the time I had both my fleet vehicle business and my parts business at said dealer to the tune of about 750k a year combined sales. So their refusal to service one car lost them millions in business. I not only cancelled everything I had with them but took them off my future bidder list and encouraged every other fleet buyer I knew to do the same.
The Chevrolet Protection Plan is insurance, not warranty. Chevrolet will not authorize an independent and is extremely rare to authorize a non-Chevrolet GM dealership.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:41 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

I think I would also get annoyed about someone complaining about the paint on the barrel of a wheel. Sounds like a lost one hour of labor to pull a wheel and wipe it off with a wet nap to show the customer it isn't nothing, when the paint on a barrel isn't nothing. Is there actually a warranty on paint chips from the road, or a rock rattling around inside the barrel of a wheel?
Old 10-10-2018, 07:44 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
The Chevrolet Protection Plan is insurance, not warranty. Chevrolet will not authorize an independent and is extremely rare to authorize a non-Chevrolet GM dealership.
Correct. It is actually run by AMT but it is marketed by GM. So if you had overlapping coverage as many do I still wonder how it would be handled.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:53 PM
Submerge
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Good grief. What if you moved across the country with your Vette? If they refuse service, just go somewhere else. If they ask if you bought it at their dealership just say “No”. When they ask where did you buy it, say “will you service my Vette or not?”. Act based on their answer.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:16 PM
Mikey Morris
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure why a Stealership service writer would not help you with service or even care where you bought the car. They get a piece of the pie even on warranty work.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:11 PM
montanaman
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Depends on where one lives as to how big a deal this is. In rural area's there are not 5 dealerships to choose from. There's usually one. I know that my local dealer here (where I did not buy the car) has a tech that is Corvette/Camaro savvy and will service the car so I'm good but if they blew me off it would be at least a 100 mile trip to see if the next one would take me. That just doesn't sound right. I was sadly under the impression that warranty work on any new vehicle had to be accepted at any dealership at any time. Is this a GM thing?
Old 10-10-2018, 10:38 PM
l.i. bruce fan
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 77 Posts

They did you a favor! While they may provide “good” service it’s only once they get around to it. I used to use Robert Chevrolet to service my Pontiac, and even with an “appointment” they wouldn’t even look at my car until it had been sitting in their lot for 2-5 days, then wait for parts etc.

I never took my Vette there, and never will although it’s very close to my home. I have my Vette serviced at Huntington Chevy (and I bought it at MacMulkin and still have the MM license plate frame on). Make your appointment with Eric, their Corvette tech (although you may need to wait a while as he is likely busy with everyone getting ready to store their Vettes for the winter).
Old 10-10-2018, 10:52 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,213 Likes on 825 Posts

You don't need a corvette tech to look at a corvette wheel...So op, do a dealer inquiry about a car from their website via email...then make a visit (you may not even have to do that) and you'll get a survey for that and you voice will be heard lol...

Good luck...its a dumb *** dealer that turns down free easy money from GM...they are paying the techs to be there regardless. Service writer is an idiot OR you have something offensive tattooed on your forehead that gives you away..

Get notified of new replies

To Not a nice dealership!

Old 10-11-2018, 04:08 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie

Hi Anthony s,

Who at Robert Chevrolet in Hicksville, New York, was it that said to you the dealership will not work on your Corvette that is currently under warranty?

Was it a service writer?
Was it the Service Manager?Was it the dealership Operations Manager?
Was it the General Manager over the whole dealership?

Originally Posted by Anthony s

Two service writers, countermen . One has been there a long time. The other not as long, Didn’t argue, repeated what he said when he said go back to the dealer...

Anthony s,

Try this, you may have some luck getting what you need accomplished.

Call the General Manager over the dealership, he is over everything. In a kind way, let him know you need his help please, and let him know of how his employees turned you and your business away from his dealership, and what they said to you.

You may get a whole new attitude from the service department employees and get what you need done.

He will have likely gotten the report you made with GM.

Last edited by HorsePower Junkie; 10-11-2018 at 04:11 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:04 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by z06inVB

Correct. It is actually run by AMT but it is marketed by GM. So if you had overlapping coverage as many do I still wonder how it would be handled.

If it is covered by the factory warranty, that is always primary thus warranty rules are in effect.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:51 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie

Anthony s,

Try this, you may have some luck getting what you need accomplished.

Call the General Manager over the dealership, he is over everything. In a kind way, let him know you need his help please, and let him know of how his employees turned you and your business away from his dealership, and what they said to you.

You may get a whole new attitude from the service department employees and get what you need done.

He will have likely gotten the report you made with GM.

after the initial altercation, i wouldn't let that service dept anywhere near my car, trust is completely broken.
Landru (10-11-2018)

Quick Reply: Not a nice dealership!