C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can somebody explain this, please

Old 10-10-2018, 06:30 PM
REZ1
CF Senior Member

Isn't it wonderful..everyone has a right to their choice.
I am a chrome or polished aluminum person.

No harm...No foul..!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to REZ1 For This Useful Post:
gurneyeagle (10-11-2018), Mike Mercury (10-11-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 06:31 PM
Yoggi
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
With arctic white they create a striking contrast along with the black trim. It makes the paint pop. With a black car it creates a somewhat menacing look.
i agree. I think they look great on the Artic White. Some other body colors not so much.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:42 PM
lakemg
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by pdiddy972 View Post

Does it have wheels? I can't tell...
Did your dog steal your glasses????

The Following User Says Thank You to lakemg For This Useful Post:
d3jxy (10-11-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 06:56 PM
joemessman
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,392 Times in 934 Posts

"please explain how the popularity has risen so well for black wheels?"
I don't think anyone answered your question yet. Let me try.
Some of the younger set a few years ago bought their cars and had the wheels powdered coated black. More and more liked the looks and then people picked up on it and manufactures started offering them as and option, and so they some were ordered by the dealers with black. Became a very popular item and as it turned out consumers now got another option to satisfy a preference. A win win situation for all involved. Consumers and manufactures.

Last edited by joemessman; 10-10-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:08 PM
roadbike56
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16-'17

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie View Post
Beauty in the eye if the beholder is the obvious answer, and first thing that comes to mind, of course.

I just can't figure how black wheels ever became popular... where the popularity came from, what it originated from.

Some sort of popularity of drag racing, road racing, NASCAR, etc... the "typical" color of wheels found in motorsports racing??
Maybe you're too young to remember the first time black wheels were "in". Back in the mid-sixties black wheels became the cool thing. Basically, guys took stock wheels and if they weren't painted black from the factory, the spray bombed them black. Then you painted the lug nuts and dust protector silver. I did it too my dad's car. He wasn't amused and the hubcaps went back on. The fad back then was short lived and didn't catch on as much as the black wheel thing today. As to why black wheels became popular, who knows. Like anything else, a group decides it's "cool" and that's all it takes. It's pretty well ingrained as factories are marketing black wheels as extra cost option.
The Following User Says Thank You to roadbike56 For This Useful Post:
Deweyox (10-24-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 07:27 PM
vdavenp802
CF Senior Member

This is NOT true. I've seen most black wheels that are covered in dust. looks like ,,,,,$..t
The Following User Says Thank You to vdavenp802 For This Useful Post:
g.reed (10-13-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 07:37 PM
Sconn
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by z06inVB View Post
The original owner of my z51 replaced the black wheels with chrome. I absolutely despise them. This car has zero chrome on it anywhere and the wheels look so totally out of place on it.

Back in the day cars had lots of chrome trim in the interior, chrome bumpers and grills just lots of chrome. Chrome wheels really set them off.

I am going to go back to factory black z51 wheels as soon as practical. Also these are factory chrome wheels and every one of them is blistering and peeling.
I think this is one of the main reasons chrome doesn't work as well anymore. There just isn't a lot of chrome on most cars anymore. Even the door trim is black on cars now.

When the only chrome accent is giant chrome wheels, it's just too in your face and doesn't relate to anything on the car. That's key to design... Features must relate to eachother to work well.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:53 PM
JFJr
CF Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gtam85 View Post
well I wouldn't say it looks like crap.. cause I'm sure many others with the orange chose a diff color wheel.
OP: I had black wheels on a 350z years ago and said to myself I wanted to try something new also cause I knew many others would go for the traditional red/white/blue color combo with the black wheels (as per GM's promo photos of the GS), so I went with the pearl nickel aluminum but every so often I'd look at her and wish I had black wheels (mainly for contrast and to make myself feel better about the brake dust). I also regret not getting the red seat belt option
Brake dust on black wheels makes them turn brown, so there is no advantage.
The Following User Says Thank You to JFJr For This Useful Post:
g.reed (10-13-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 08:22 PM
falcon5619
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by JFJr View Post
Brake dust on black wheels makes them turn brown, so there is no advantage.
Maybe that is the answer, the brake dust brown wheel option. They never need to be cleaned.

Last edited by falcon5619; 10-10-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:31 PM
laserjack
CF Senior Member

HELL YES...because (to me) shark gray with chrome or machined wheels just isn't meant to be. It's called an opinion, there's no right or wrong.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:05 PM
Kevin A Jones
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,127 Posts

Originally Posted by 4*CRUIZN View Post
I went with Black wheels when I bought my '17 BRM Grand Sport. I was going for the "Blackout" look. All of the wheel detail just got lost, what with the Black Calipers, Wheels and Tires. I recently had the OEM Black wheels machine faced. I really like the way it came out. You can see the wheel detail, and there is much more contrast with the calipers and tires. I know some will not like it, but it works for me!

Before

After
IMO, the machined wheels brought this C7 "To Life"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevin A Jones For This Useful Post:
4*CRUIZN (10-11-2018), dataporter (10-14-2018), Mike in IA (10-22-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 11:33 PM
ZERRY 316
CF Senior Member

Why do you care?
Old 10-10-2018, 11:40 PM
owc6
CF Senior Member

Thanked 2,387 Times in 1,683 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones View Post
IMO, the machined wheels brought this C7 "To Life"

It's like the best of both worlds for all colors.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:55 PM
z06inVB
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by laserjack View Post

HELL YES...because (to me) shark gray with chrome or machined wheels just isn't meant to be. It's called an opinion, there's no right or wrong.
i think the above pic says it all. This is my shark gray z51. Carbon flash painted spoiler mirrors and badges. There is zero chrome on this car. The chrome wheels simply do not match the car.

The Following User Says Thank You to z06inVB For This Useful Post:
laserjack (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 06:32 AM
Frodo
CF Senior Member

For what its worth.... Every day I see chrome wheels on trucks, SUVs, crossovers, cars, sports cars, you name it. Almost all are late model with factory wheels. Its become a game of sorts that I point out "those beautiful chrome wheels" on all kinds of vehicles to my wife every time we drive to town. We laugh about it, its so common. Hasn't anyone been noticing or are the chrome haters just singing the song they want to hear?

If you haven't picked up on it yet, I'm a chrome wheel fan. But I don't care what you have on your car, after all Its your car. In fact I LOVE it that many like black or other kinds of wheels. Makes my chromies just a little bit more special. Thanks guys!
Old 10-11-2018, 07:48 AM
Walt White Coupe
CF Senior Member

Yea, my silver polished aluminum wheels just look horrible on my all white car. NOT

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Walt White Coupe For This Useful Post:
dataporter (10-14-2018), Deweyox (10-24-2018), JFJr (10-13-2018), Mike Campbell (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 07:57 AM
Carvin
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by ahero4eternity View Post
Black wheels have been popular for > 10 years. I am not usually a fan of them as I think the design gets "lost" and under appreciated, but they came on my Shark Gray Z06 and don't mind them at all. I think my car looks much more aggressive with the black wheels. The car would still look good with silver wheels, just not as "mean."
Have the same car. The black wheels complete the stealth fighter look. Having said that, I am a black wheel convert. Had chromes on my silver 2008 and agreed with those who say black wheels get lost in low lighting conditions. This is true but in good lighting they look outstanding.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:16 AM
airforcex
CF Senior Member

Racing culture, which I think is good overall for motorsports. Basically saying, "look how similar this is to our race car." Every major manufacturer's doing it. What almost no one does is chrome. Most Europeans will do machined or painted.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:37 AM
glava2876
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie View Post
Not to ruffle any feathers, but can someone please explain how the popularity has risen so well for black wheels?

Absolutely no disrespect to those who own them and like them, heck I have them on mine but just don't care for them, l just can't figure how they became so popular...

To me, and again absolutely no disrespect, they resemble a car that's missing hubcaps.

Is it that they resemble NASCAR racing, or something like that? How did they become so popular? And what is the attraction?

Thanks

I agree that everyone should choose the rim that they like!
I think that part of the "mean" black look is because, for a few years now, most upper level HP vehicle models, American and European especially, have featured black rims?
Old 10-11-2018, 09:54 AM
z06inVB
CF Senior Member

I even even pulled the chrome wheels off my new Ram truck. Same reason. It has no other chrome on it.

But to prove I am not a chrome hater

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can somebody explain this, please

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: