Sponsored by:

Fuel injector cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 12:50 PM
JJB82
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel injector cleaner

I heard chevron with techron is the best fuel injector cleaner to use. I have also heard that it’s best to use it right before an oil change because some of the contaminants that the fuel injector cleaner gets rid of can end up in the oil pan. Is there any truth to this?

Popular Reply

10-14-2018, 01:24 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Techron usage used to be recommended by many manufacturers such as BMW before the advent of the TopTier™ fuel standard. Before that, many manufacturers had injector clog issues, and that's what led a consortium of manufacturers including BMW, GM, VW and others to develop the standard.

Exclusive use of a TopTier™ certified fuel eliminates the need to do that. Techron is similar to the additives specified by the TopTier™ standard. As a matter of fact, GM still recommends in the owner's manual the use of GM-branded additive periodically if not using TopTier™ fuel.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:06 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by JJB82
I heard chevron with techron is the best fuel injector cleaner to use. I have also heard that it’s best to use it right before an oil change because some of the contaminants that the fuel injector cleaner gets rid of can end up in the oil pan. Is there any truth to this?
I use to use Techron until I viewed all the YouTube videos that show it to be ineffective. Save your $$$. I would recommend you use something like Stabil in your gas tank this winter if your car will be garaged most of the winter. Ethanol is a killer for gunking up fuel systems.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:24 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Techron usage used to be recommended by many manufacturers such as BMW before the advent of the TopTier™ fuel standard. Before that, many manufacturers had injector clog issues, and that's what led a consortium of manufacturers including BMW, GM, VW and others to develop the standard.

Exclusive use of a TopTier™ certified fuel eliminates the need to do that. Techron is similar to the additives specified by the TopTier™ standard. As a matter of fact, GM still recommends in the owner's manual the use of GM-branded additive periodically if not using TopTier™ fuel.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-14-2018 at 01:27 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Foosh:
DALE#3 (11-10-2018), jimmie jam (10-15-2018), orca1946 (10-16-2018), Perf n Restore (10-15-2018), Quick99 (11-15-2018), Rebel Yell (10-14-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-14-2018, 02:14 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

^^^
Foosh nailed it. Check it out: https://www.toptiergas.com/
Old 10-14-2018, 02:47 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
^^^
Foosh nailed it. Check it out: https://www.toptiergas.com/
Not exactly. The American petrol industry will be shortly rolling out E15 at a fuel station near you. Top Tier fuels do not address the slow degradation and fouling that takes place in modern autos as a result of ethanol based fuels. If you let ethanol fuel stand idle for a month you will see the chemical separation that takes places. Ethanol fuel is hygroscopic and the energy value of this fuel is lower than non-ethanol based fuels. Expect your vehicle's fuel efficency to diminish another 5-10% with the roll out. Stabil is the only additive one needs to consider but it is no cure-all for the poor fuels we all paying for now.

Last edited by MMD; 10-14-2018 at 02:47 PM. Reason: spelling
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (10-15-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 03:28 PM
AZav8r
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Regardless of the use of "Top Tier" fuels, the "additive" doesn't always make it into the product during the tanker upload process at the terminal. Some additive products aren't mixed with the fuel until it delivered to the fueling station. So while you may be fueling with "Top Tier" products, it varies when...and sometimes if...the additive makes it into the fuel. So, the use if an additive like Techron is a good idea.

I became sold on Techron after the replacement of a fuel tank level/pump assembly years ago in my last truck. The problem was that the level sending unit was fouled, sending erroneous readings to the gauge. The assembly was replaced under warranty. Talking to the dealer shop foreman, he educated me on the use of Top Tier fuel and the periodic use of Techron (as recommended by the manufacturer) to keep the variable resistor of the fuel level sending unit clean. At the time, Top Tier fuel wasn't as widely available as it is now. So, whenever I notice the fuel gauge is off, I add a bottle of Techron, and at the next fill up it reads normally again. I use Costco fuel almost exclusively in my current truck, more often than not in the C7. Even with Costco being a Top Tier provider, adding a bottle of Techron at about every fifth fill up has been the norm for all of my vehicles since.

Ironically, I noticed the other day after filling up my truck (at Costco), that the gauge was off a little. I guess that it's been a few too many fill ups since the last time added a bottle of Techron.

Last edited by AZav8r; 10-14-2018 at 03:31 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:39 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AZav8r
Regardless of the use of "Top Tier" fuels, the "additive" doesn't always make it into the product during the tanker upload process at the terminal. Some additive products aren't mixed with the fuel until it delivered to the fueling station. So while you may be fueling with "Top Tier" products, it varies when...and sometimes if...the additive makes it into the fuel. So, the use if an additive like Techron is a good idea.

I became sold on Techron after the replacement of a fuel tank level/pump assembly years ago in my last truck. The problem was that the level sending unit was fouled, sending erroneous readings to the gauge. The assembly was replaced under warranty. Talking to the dealer shop foreman, he educated me on the use of Top Tier fuel and the periodic use of Techron (as recommended by the manufacturer) to keep the variable resistor of the fuel level sending unit clean. At the time, Top Tier fuel wasn't as widely available as it is now. So, whenever I notice the fuel gauge is off, I add a bottle of Techron, and at the next fill up it reads normally again. I use Costco fuel almost exclusively in my current truck, more often than not in the C7. Even with Costco being a Top Tier provider, adding a bottle of Techron at about every fifth fill up has been the norm for all of my vehicles since.

Ironically, I noticed the other day after filling up my truck (at Costco), that the gauge was off a little. I guess that it's been a few too many fill ups since the last time added a bottle of Techron.
Do you believe in the Easter bunny too?
rogergcam (11-12-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 03:45 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

I had a problem with the fuel gauge in my 96. It stayed on full . After 2 fill ups with techron added the gauge went back to working perfectly. I would add some every so often and never had a problem I have used it in the 15 a few times whether iot has helped or not I dont know
Maxie2U (10-15-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 04:58 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

I agree on this problem from a number of yrs ago with the gas gauge sticking on empty & after using this stuff it started to work again..
The following 2 users liked this post by robert miller:
AZav8r (10-14-2018), JerryU (10-16-2018)
Old 10-14-2018, 05:06 PM
AZav8r
Advanced

Originally Posted by MMD
Do you believe in the Easter bunny too?
I guess that you don't believe in your own philosophy:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598141914

Originally Posted by MMD
Slamming people is no way to win respect from anyone.

I'll stand by verifiable information provided by the vehicle manufacturer, the experience of a management technician at a well respected dealership that's been in business for over a century, plus my personal observations and experiences...over your opinion substantiated by a few "youtube" videos.
bjones7131 (11-11-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 12:35 AM
bankers1
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Techron every 3rd fill up, and Techron fuel "System" cleaner every 5-6 fill ups. I was sold when I was a mileage counter
in another car and it increased my mileage 10-14% after a few bottles.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:50 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Those additives have to make it into the fuel at a Top Tier station, if it doesn't and they test the fuel that station could get heavily fined. So the chances of the trucker forgetting to add the additives are extremely slim. He wants to keep his job.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:58 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

My brother owns and operates a fuel tanker business, which delivers to both TopTier and non-TopTier stations. The additives are mixed at time of loading, and the loading process includes a checklist which verifies the proper additive package for each customer is added at time of loading if it's being delivered to a TopTier retailer. The consequences for mis-delivery are very costly for the carrier, and it would be as bad as delivering 89 octane to premium tanks or diesel to gasoline tanks. It is tested.
Old 10-15-2018, 08:27 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Ok, that is incorrect. (and yes I was a terminal manager for an oil company..

Additive is injected into the fuel as it is loaded into the tanker for delivery. It is VERY precisely metered to ENSURE that ALL fuel is dosed. Yes, the State department of weights and measures inspects and calibrates the injector rates

Gasoline is a fungible commodity. Meaning that the gas you buy at Exxon, may in fact be loaded at almost ANY branded terminal. It will have additive that meets or exceeds the requirements the customer requires.

The only segregated product that I was aware of, (in Maryland) was the 94 octane Sunoco premium...We has segregated storage and delivery rack for that product. We loaded trucks for EVERY brand gas station in Md, WVa, northern Va, south central Pa, and even Delaware... (Exxon/Mobil, Sheetz, Costco, Amoco, Jiffy Mart...)

Gas is gas... (for the most part at large retail stations.)
The following 2 users liked this post by rrsperry:
astaggs (10-22-2018), orca1946 (10-16-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 09:25 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

^^^ Re the above by rrsperry. I recall when Top Tier gas first came into being. Unless I'm wrong, some of the first gas retailers to join were relatively unknown chains in the NE US. One of them was QuikTrip. Also, I think Sunoco was very late to join (maybe because of the number of octane-rated grades they sell, and the requirement that Top Tier gas has to be for all levels/grades sold, not just one or two) as was the successor company to Amoco in the US, BP..

Last edited by AORoads; 10-15-2018 at 09:26 AM.
daygojunior (05-13-2022)
Old 10-15-2018, 09:28 AM
ahero4eternity
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Is this the Techron that people are using?

https://smile.amazon.com/Chevron-928...5%3A2470955011

Or this?

https://smile.amazon.com/Chevron-677...=techron&psc=1
Old 10-15-2018, 01:54 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by ahero4eternity
The latter.
ahero4eternity (10-15-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel injector cleaner

Old 10-15-2018, 02:07 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harry
The latter.
Use the concentrate one thats the best
Old 10-15-2018, 02:33 PM
MMD
Safety Car

GM Corvette has been recommending ACDelco 88865595 Fuel System Treatment - 12 oz since 2013 in their Corvette and other GM products since 2013 to help resolve the sulphur problem with the fuel sending unit. If you check you will find the recommended product chemistry is "not" relabeled Techron.

The ACDelco Product is manufactured by:

Excelda Manufacturing
12785 Emerson Dr.
Brighton, MI 48116

Techron is manufactured by:

Chevron Products Company
a division of Chevron U.S.A. Inc. 6001 Bollinger Canyon Rd.
San Ramon, CA 94583

These products appear to have different chemistries.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:49 PM
AZav8r
Advanced

Originally Posted by Patman
Those additives have to make it into the fuel at a Top Tier station, if it doesn't and they test the fuel that station could get heavily fined. So the chances of the trucker forgetting to add the additives are extremely slim. He wants to keep his job.
Originally Posted by Foosh
My brother owns and operates a fuel tanker business, which delivers to both TopTier and non-TopTier stations. The additives are mixed at time of loading, and the loading process includes a checklist which verifies the proper additive package for each customer is added at time of loading if it's being delivered to a TopTier retailer. The consequences for mis-delivery are very costly for the carrier, and it would be as bad as delivering 89 octane to premium tanks or diesel to gasoline tanks. It is tested.
Originally Posted by rrsperry
Ok, that is incorrect. (and yes I was a terminal manager for an oil company..
Regardless of the processes in place, mixing does NOT always take place as intended, and violations do happen. That said, my experience is with aviation fuels...and fuel loads from the terminal have been refused because they have not passed testing prior to acceptance. Having worked with the "terminal", these occurrences are taken seriously and rectified.

As it happens, albeit rarely, with aviation fuel products, it does occasionally happen with automotive fuel products. Mistakes still happen.

Quick Reply: Fuel injector cleaner