Sponsored by:

My Vette stolen from dealer service bay

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 08:35 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ99FRC
Wow, between the wannabe lawyers, who's legal training came from watching Law and Order, screaming "sue", the internet tough guys saying they and their friends would take care of the thief and the joker who thinks the media would be interested in the story of a Corvette owner losing the use of his car for a few hours, I gotta wonder; what kind of fantasy world do some of you guys live in? Seriously...
I'm with you on the lawyer thing and the press thing. But, you are pretty damn naïve if you think you can steal something of so much value, and the owner is going to live with it. Just because you would, doesn't mean everyone else will, which is why its so odd that police would provide a victim with the address of the perpetrator (see post 194).

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 10-25-2018 at 08:36 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Malum1 (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 08:49 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
A man who works with his hands tends to be pretty good at managing physical risks, but you wont see any techs saving a customer car.
You will see them pushing their toolbox out the nearest overhead door, Lol.
That was my thought.

While many may not have the price of a new car invested in tools, some will and for a real mechanic, who makes his living with his tools, the box goes first!

GUSTO
Old 10-25-2018, 09:29 AM
SneezyKevinA
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ99FRC
Wow, between the wannabe lawyers, who's legal training came from watching Law and Order, screaming "sue", the internet tough guys saying they and their friends would take care of the thief and the joker who thinks the media would be interested in the story of a Corvette owner losing the use of his car for a few hours, I gotta wonder; what kind of fantasy world do some of you guys live in? Seriously...
It's been stupid entertaining.
My thought is to contact your insurance company and at least talk with a Lawyer on it. They should be able to guide you as to what you should do.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:11 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
That was my thought.

While many may not have the price of a new car invested in tools, some will and for a real mechanic, who makes his living with his tools, the box goes first!

GUSTO
I can fully understand how popular it is to "play to the crowd" vilifying dealerships and their personnel on this Forum. As someone who has actually spent most of a lifetime in dealerships, I can attest to having witnessed on more than one occasion exceptional bravery and effort in cases of emergency and conflict... by techs. All was done with little thought to personal safety and personal property. In addition, I have never had a shop where we did not pay for box&tool insurance.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:45 PM
akers4000
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 15 Posts

so they pulled through on the extended warranty, got me platinum 60/75000, no deductable. very happy to get this. in all my years of buying new cars they have been the best dealer.
The following 11 users liked this post by akers4000:
dmaxx3500 (10-25-2018), JALLEN4 (10-25-2018), JNorthstar (10-25-2018), John Ulrich (10-26-2018), Malum1 (10-25-2018), Mike Mercury (10-25-2018), Mikey Morris (10-25-2018), Ranger5 (10-27-2018), redzone (10-25-2018), RoadVettes (10-26-2018), Slynky (10-25-2018) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-25-2018, 01:23 PM
Demnos
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 113 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

So glad to hear you were able to get that warranty. Someone must have done a cost assessment and realized that it would be a heck of a lot cheaper to give you that than to pay a lawyer to defend a potential lawsuit. The dealer would likely win but would have still had lawyer fees (not everyone has a lawyer on retainer). Makes sense for everyone involved.

How was the condition of the rest of the car? I saw above you said that they waxed it and filled the tank but did the car look ok other than that?

Last edited by Demnos; 10-25-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 01:26 PM
akers4000
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Demnos
So glad to hear you were able to get that warranty. Someone must have done a cost assessment and realized that it would be a heck of a lot cheaper to give you that than to pay a lawyer to defend a potential lawsuit. The dealer would likely win but would have still had lawyer fees (not everyone has a lawyer on retainer). Makes sense for everyone involved.

How was the condition of the rest of the car? I saw above you said that they waxed it and filled the tank but did the car look ok other than that?
yes interior looks good,dont see any damage thanks
Old 10-25-2018, 01:47 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by akers4000
so they pulled through on the extended warranty, got me platinum 60/75000, no deductable. very happy to get this. in all my years of buying new cars they have been the best dealer.
Finally a car theft story with a decent ending.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vet Interested:
akers4000 (10-25-2018), Malum1 (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 01:52 PM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
Here we go again, it is getting more humorous. No, OSHA does not prohibit customers in the service area. That would be a made up excuse to keep nuts out of the area bothering techs while they are trying to work. Customers are taken to the bays daily in most every store to show them problems found on their car. In case you have never been in a store, service bays are often separated by a hundred yards or more and often on different floors. That doesn't even account for the detail shop or body shop often found in separate buildings.

I spent forty years owning and operating multiple dealerships. I saw one car stolen out of the building during working hours in all those years. This is in dealerships where a hundred or more RO's were written daily. It is not a problem that needs a solution that costs more in a month than the insurance loss on one car every 40 years. I know people mean well giving their advice but sometimes the total lack of knowledge quickly shows through.
Forty years owning & operating multiple dealerships & you only saw 1 car stolen out of the building during working hours in all those years.
Which is what I'd expect, because for the life of me, I can't understand how a total stranger could walk into a dealer's service bay area & take off with someone's vehicle without being stopped & questioned by someone who works there.
Old 10-25-2018, 02:21 PM
Malum1
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

Congratulations!!!!!! Really nice to hear the dealership came through for you!!!!! To bad it had to be under this type of circumstance.
akers4000 (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 02:45 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by OntarioOrangeC3
Forty years owning & operating multiple dealerships & you only saw 1 car stolen out of the building during working hours in all those years.
Which is what I'd expect, because for the life of me, I can't understand how a total stranger could walk into a dealer's service bay area & take off with someone's vehicle without being stopped & questioned by someone who works there.
I can understand your question but you would need to be in the environment for awhile to understand how it works. To start, a dealership of size can easily have 150 or more employees with a number of those rather transient. As a result they may not always even know their fellow worker. Added to that is a constant flow of customers on the property and the constant flow of vendors coming and going. You have a parade of delivery people to various areas, people who are repairmen of various different equipment, salespeople of various kinds, factory people, and many more examples of temporary but essential visitors. It is an environment constantly in motion with vehicles and people.

While I have only seen one vehicle stolen out of the interior of the service department, I have seen a number of other items stolen on a semi-regular basis. Parts go missing, equipment disappears, and mechanics tools have been lifted by walk through thieves. I have also seen a number of inventory cars stolen when thieves found the office in the service department where we kept the keys to cars in process. Like any other retail business shrinkage has to be controlled and like any other business there are tricks to that process. One of them is not removing keys from cars inside because the various risks attached are more costly and potentially dangerous than the benefit.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:21 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

OK, what is this warranty? Is it just an exact extension of the 36/36000? Is it from GM?
​​​​​​​
I've never heard of the "platinum 60/75000." Is this something that you (or any of us) could have purchased when we bought our new C7s?

My Chev. dealer mentioned zilch about GM extended warranties.,, when I paid for my new C7.
In fact, when I asked about GM extended warranty pricing? The finance guy said; "oh, you can always buy that in the 3/36000." He had no interest in even answering my question about extended warranty
pricing.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:58 PM
Mikey Morris
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad everything worked out since Stealerships can be so shitty.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:15 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

id bet I could walk into 20+ dealers ,get into any car and drive it off,with-out anybody stopping me
Old 10-25-2018, 09:17 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
id bet I could walk into 20+ dealers ,get into any car and drive it off,with-out anybody stopping me
Its virtually certain you could do that.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:36 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
OK, what is this warranty? Is it just an exact extension of the 36/36000? Is it from GM?

I've never heard of the "platinum 60/75000." Is this something that you (or any of us) could have purchased when we bought our new C7s?
Warranty sold by gm. Chevrolet Protection Plan (GMEPP) is a product of General Motors. There are two levels, silver coverage and Platinum coverage. Many lengths of time and mileage. Then you can have 100 deductible or 0 deductible.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:48 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

Interesting thread. OP has every right to be pissed. But, no harm, no foul. First off, no lawyer would take this case. You might get one to write a letter, but that’s about it. The police certainly didn’t give out the thief’s name so that the OP can take care of this himself. If OP did, he would need a lawyer. He got his car back with no apparent harm done and the dealer stepped up and made a gesture to make the OP feel whole. That’s it. Life goes on.
The following 2 users liked this post by SRQStingray:
akers4000 (10-26-2018), RoadVettes (10-26-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To My Vette stolen from dealer service bay

Old 10-26-2018, 01:44 PM
topper7788
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

well I have been in the car business (running or owning stores) for just under 40 years and have NEVER had a car stolen out of service.. and keys were left in cars as well ( industry norm ).. with that said I have had many cars from inventory stolen, key swaps, porters selling copies, one driven through a fence, employee theft etc. but to date have never seen a customers car stolen out of service.

Its a a really unusual event. Now I have certainly seen my share of customers cars damaged etc.. but not stolen.

And to the poster that said he could steal a car from almost any store. Yes sir, a car dealership is probably the easiest place to steal a car from If you want. Years ago we were having a huge issue with salesmen leaving keys in cars, during a sales meeting I excused myself, went next store to the neighboring Ford store, went to get ready, pretended to be a salesman and drove out with a new Taurus. I took it back to my store called over every sales person get ready person etc and said exactly what I did and mentioned in not very nice language that this better not happen here

Then I called the GM (friend of mine) at the Ford store, told him I had one of his cars and explained how I got it, he laughed, said guess I am also having a store meeting... anyway just a old war story ...

but service thefts are indeed a rare occurence.
JALLEN4 (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 01:57 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by topper7788

well I have been in the car business (running or owning stores) for just under 40 years and have NEVER had a car stolen out of service.. and keys were left in cars as well ( industry norm ).. with that said I have had many cars from inventory stolen, key swaps, porters selling copies, one driven through a fence, employee theft etc. but to date have never seen a customers car stolen out of service.

Its a a really unusual event. Now I have certainly seen my share of customers cars damaged etc.. but not stolen.

And to the poster that said he could steal a car from almost any store. Yes sir, a car dealership is probably the easiest place to steal a car from If you want. Years ago we were having a huge issue with salesmen leaving keys in cars, during a sales meeting I excused myself, went next store to the neighboring Ford store, went to get ready, pretended to be a salesman and drove out with a new Taurus. I took it back to my store called over every sales person get ready person etc and said exactly what I did and mentioned in not very nice language that this better not happen here

Then I called the GM (friend of mine) at the Ford store, told him I had one of his cars and explained how I got it, he laughed, said guess I am also having a store meeting... anyway just a old war story ...

but service thefts are indeed a rare occurence.
Pure and utter
Old 10-26-2018, 02:20 PM
topper7788
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Pure and utter
ah, didn’t take you long... with your days of experience hanging around car dealerships you should really shut your mouth, as you have zero idea of what actually goes on in a car store! plus your posts usually make you look like an idiot to those of us that have actual car experience .. just sayin......

You never know maybe some people here may actually want to know what really happens in a car dealership from people that have actually spent their lives there.. of course you know better... Jeez.....

Quick Reply: My Vette stolen from dealer service bay