Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 driving in Winter???

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 03:48 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I don't know how you did that. I tried but was unable to make the car spin in weather mode on the wet skidpad.
Old 10-25-2018, 04:37 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

IIRC, I did a sudden change from left turn to right turn, and jabbed the gas. The "spin" part was more like 200 degrees, the remainder was the turn before the rear got loose.
Since I was only going 20-30 mph at that time, it was interesting but not dramatic.
Old 10-26-2018, 02:29 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Bondojohn
This is my question.Has anyone “actually” driven a Z06 in cold weather and experienced cracking or other structural problems with the tires.

I ordered a 19 Z06. I live in Midwest Illinois. It will be my daily driver only if streets are clean. Can I drive it In winter? I know the tires are Summer only and I was told they “can’t” be driven in very cold weather. This is what they also told me on my 15 and 17 base Stingray. Although I know the base is more of a summer tire than the Z, I drove them in temperatures as low as 8 degrees with no problems and traction was fine. Unless there’s someone that’s actuality driven a Z in cold weather and can contest to the tires breaking down I plan on driving on them and see what happens. Just by driving the tires will heat up by themselves but I guess driving on them prier to heating may be the problem. If they do start to crack I won’t be able to sell them and It’ll cost me more than just buying another set of tires. The Z cost enough by itself so I don’t want to spend more for another set of tires unless it’s absolutely necessary.
In 2015 after a rash of new Corvettes being delivered with cracked tires Michelin said not to operate or store the high performance tires in temps at or below 20 degrees F. Here is the quote:

A Michelin rep has now addressed the cracked tire complaints, advising Corvette owners to not drive or move their cars in cold weather if they’d like to prevent cracks from appearing in their tires.

“This winter has been extremely harsh in much of the country and some recently shipped Corvette tires may exhibit cracking. In general, summer tires should never be driven on or moved in temperatures under 20°F because they may crack. Tires should be carefully inspected at the dealership before taking delivery of a vehicle. Never use a tire with freeze cracks, breaks, or damage to the sidewall or tread. For those residing in colder climates, Corvette owners should have a plan for vehicle storage during cold winter months. If your garage drops below 20°F regularly, consider removing tires and storing them inside. If you live in colder climates and want to drive your vehicle in temperatures below 40°F we strongly recommend investing in a set of winter or all-season tires.”

Bill
Old 07-04-2019, 06:46 PM
dbd723
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes drive the Z in winter

Yes you can drive your z06 year round, no problem, my dad did it on a 25 mins 15mi one way commute all winter in central indiana. just make sure you switch to michelin alpin PA4 when it gets colder. Not blizzaks, not other full on snow tires that are terrible in wet and dry, michelin PA4. Anything else you are wasting your money. 3 to 4 inches of snow is no problem at all for those tires, and they grip at about 90% of a michelin PSS dry grip and have a nice sporty feel so you can still put some power down and enjoy the cars handling when its nice out.

However, his commute is relatively flat and the roads usually cleared reasonably well. If you are going to have to drive on unplowed streets in rural areas with more than 6 inches of snow, or steep uphill in more than 3 or 4 inches of snow or ice you will want something with AWD or more ground clearance for those instances (and also dedicated winter tires as well). In central indiana you are talking about a handful of really snowy days, the rest let that Z loose.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:46 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

An older thread revived. My C7 with PA4's stops and turns better than my X5 winter beater with all seasons. If the A/S3+'s were available at the time I bought my C7 I probably would have got them based on forum reviews. We never have deep snow here as the plows are always out. It's more of a temp issue when it gets cold.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:49 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
An older thread revived. My C7 with PA4's stops and turns better than my X5 winter beater with all seasons. If the A/S3+'s were available at the time I bought my C7 I probably would have got them based on forum reviews. We never have deep snow here as the plows are always out. It's more of a temp issue when it gets cold.
Yet another RELATED THREADS fiasco...
Old 07-04-2019, 08:06 PM
dbd723
6th Gear

Default Google searches

This thread comes to top few of gooogle search, so still relevant i guess even if old.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:33 PM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

if only...

The following users liked this post:
L8ter (07-05-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 08:36 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by dbd723
This thread comes to top few of gooogle search, so still relevant i guess even if old.
^^^

Ya buddy - nothing against you . Based on your post count over 7 years you may not be aware that the forum updated its system and old threads (zombies) are linking to new threads and members scroll down not knowing they're old. I know the Mods tried to revert to "opt out" on this without success. STEVE / Zymurgy - help us here...

Last edited by Maxpowers; 07-04-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:38 PM
dbd723
6th Gear

Yeah not totally sure what that even means... but will take your word for it.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:39 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Maybe the op could mount a plow & salt spreader on his Z06 & make some money cleaning some parking lots....geez
Old 07-05-2019, 09:43 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Yes you can drive your z06 year round, no problem, my dad did it on a 25 mins 15mi one way commute all winter in central indiana. just make sure you switch to michelin alpin PA4 when it gets colder. Not blizzaks, not other full on snow tires that are terrible in wet and dry, michelin PA4. Anything else you are wasting your money. 3 to 4 inches of snow is no problem at all for those tires, and they grip at about 90% of a michelin PSS dry grip and have a nice sporty feel so you can still put some power down and enjoy the cars handling when its nice out.

However, his commute is relatively flat and the roads usually cleared reasonably well. If you are going to have to drive on unplowed streets in rural areas with more than 6 inches of snow, or steep uphill in more than 3 or 4 inches of snow or ice you will want something with AWD or more ground clearance for those instances (and also dedicated winter tires as well). In central indiana you are talking about a handful of really snowy days, the rest let that Z loose.
Yeah not totally sure what that even means... but will take your word for it.
Whoa! Careful there Rip Van Winkle, you might "get a blister on your finger" at this new rate of posting. J/K
You're right, it will always be a relative thread.

Last edited by L8ter; 07-05-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Z06 driving in Winter???