Sponsored by:

Dealer ordered wrong tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 09:04 AM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by sabastian458
Honestly I see his point. He asked for a price for tires for his car, they gave it. Now on the other hand, there are a couple of failures in communication in the situation. 1st was the tech. ANY tech worth being called a tech would have realized that the tires were the wrong size. He should have stopped and gotten the advisor involved at that point. If he didn’t catch it before starting, he sure as heck would/should have when trying to set the beads of the 1st tire. 2nd failure, the advisor was clearly confused about the aire situation based on your statements.

Reasonalbe expectation would be paying the price for the correct tires, rental car for the extra time, and no additional labor. If the dealer wants go beyond that, they would cover the price difference and everyone can move along from the situation. Everyone makes a mistake, sadly they didn’t catch it before mounting, but thankfully they didn’t just try to deliver the car back you with the wrong tires.
Fortunately I don't need a rental and I'm not asking for one. I'm frustrated that so many people either don't have the knowledge required or are too indifferent to care. In my youth I used to be a tire tech at Sears Automotive and then became a sales rep. I would have realized that the tires were the wrong ones, and frankly even back in the early 90's our computer system would have instantly warned us that the tires being ordered were not OEM and we would have had to acknowledge that we were installing non-OEM sizes on the vehicle.

To add insult to injury, I actually pulled up the tires on the Tirerack website site and showed them to the service consultant and asked if they would price match. She looked at them and said that they only price match from local vendors not internet but that I was in luck because they're price was actually cheaper than Tirerack.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:06 AM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 137 Posts

Road Force Balanced?
Old 11-16-2018, 09:12 AM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Originally Posted by daixloxbmw
Sorry for making light of your ordeal but that's exactly what I imagine it to look like. Would have been hilarious to see it on a widebody Vette. Good luck with that. I've had bad luck with a national tire shop absolutely destroying two of my wheels when mounting a tire. Cracked the lip all the way around. I believe I posted some pics on this forum before so I feel your pain.
No worries. I didn't flip out or anything like that. I was very understanding, but as I sat there last night thinking about it it bothered me because the reason you go to the dealer and pay extra is because you don't want to have to worry about it and you're expecting that the people who built and sold the car have some clue about how to maintain it.

Truth be told, I also have a 05 Z51 M6 and have been bringing the car to the same dealership for the last 7 years. In that time I've only had one other bad experience where they didn't diagnose the problem correctly and had to keep the car for like 4 days. I started getting the ABS/TC error and they diagnosed that it was the steering wheel position sensor so they quoted me a price and changed it, but then I get a call that after changing it the right read wheel speed sensor was also bad and it was on back order. They changed the wheel speed sensor for free so they took care of me then, but not without a fight.

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Who was the dealer ?

On a mistake this costly and risky, someone should be losing their job.
Bill Hood Chevrolet in Covington LA.

Originally Posted by dfettero
Road Force Balanced?
Yes, and I'm assuming they actually did it or tried because the tires were mounted by the time I saw the car.

Originally Posted by Ozzstar
Time to find a shop that is competent. Wish you good luck with that. Ughhhhh.........
Thank you!

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
Jock,

You already paid for the tires you ordered. They did not put the correct ones on. The end.

The dealership needs to complete the job with the product you paid for. The end.

They removed the original tires, and assuming they have never been off the rims, there should not be any marks on the wheels when they complete the work. If there are any marks from changing the tires, they will be responsible to correct that problem as well.

That's exactly how I feel.

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
If I owned that dealership, I would obviously get you the right tires and give you a $100 credit for future service work with a profuse apology.
I'm hoping that they voluntarily do the right thing without me having to resort to arguing or demanding they do.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 11-17-2018 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-Please use the Multi Quote icon (in the lower right hand corner of each post) to make your responses look like this.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:21 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,719 Likes on 5,599 Posts

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
Kevin, buddy (meaning friend), he made no mistake, zero.
For goodness sake, he took his car to a Chevrolet Dealership that sells tires. The dealership is at fault, period... for all the reasons he stated.
I see you point and I believe my above post makes it clear that the dealer is certainly at fault, however I feel that if you set yourself up for a potential issue, then you have to at least take a little responsibility for that issue.
My point being, if you need tires (especially tires other than OEM) you should go to a tire dealer, not a new car dealer.

A good example from a Toyota forum the other day is where a Tacoma owner took his new truck to his Toyota dealer to have film applied to his hood/painted grill surround area. Toyota offers a film material package supposedly pre-cut for these areas.
He assumed the dealer's tech had experience installing film, well turns out they did not. He picked up his new truck to find dirt under film, areas popping up and multiple razor cuts in his paint all the way to the primer.

So no question, the dealer's fault, however the owner could have avoided this misery by taking his truck to a Xpel dealer to have film installed by experts as opposed to a Toyota tech who had never done it before. Also Xpel would have been less expensive.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:23 AM
daixloxbmw
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JockamoIPA
No worries. I didn't flip out or anything like that. I was very understanding, but as I sat there last night thinking about it it bothered me because the reason you go to the dealer and pay extra is because you don't want to have to worry about it and you're expecting that the people who built and sold the car have some clue about how to maintain it.

Truth be told, I also have a 05 Z51 M6 and have been bringing the car to the same dealership for the last 7 years. In that time I've only had one other bad experience where they didn't diagnose the problem correctly and had to keep the car for like 4 days. I started getting the ABS/TC error and they diagnosed that it was the steering wheel position sensor so they quoted me a price and changed it, but then I get a call that after changing it the right read wheel speed sensor was also bad and it was on back order. They changed the wheel speed sensor for free so they took care of me then, but not without a fight.
I've not had a good experience at my local dealership. My very first experience was the 500 mile oil change, when I drove away, there was a noticeable ticking noise from underneath the car. I thought it was maybe pebbles bouncing around from the sticky tires but after a few blocks the ticking got louder and more frequent as I picked up speed so I pulled over to find all 4 jacking pucks still on the car and there was a small chain hanging off of each one that was flailing around as it dragged on the ground. I turn around and return to the dealership and one of the service managers ask me why I'm back and I just point down and he makes an "eeek" face and jokingly says, "well at least you know he lifted your car up properly with the jacking pucks". I was not in the mood for jokes.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:24 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Ok good. Now we know.

This situation goes far beyond a mistake. Its a series of mistakes made by multiple people across a span of time, and there is only one reason why this happened. Not one person is willing to exert even the slightest bit of effort beyond the absolute minimum definition of their individual job description. Ill bet each and every one of them are experts in finger pointing, and blame evasion. Ill also bet this place is an absolute shithole to work in, but it will have a nice paint job, and a pretty sign out front.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:24 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Sorry for your situation. Although posting on the forum will do little to resolve your issue with the dealer, It would be most helpful to the Corvette community and forum members in your area if the name of the dealership was known so that they would be aware.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:25 AM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I see you point and I believe my above post makes it clear that the dealer is certainly at fault, however I feel that if you set yourself up for a potential issue, then you have to at least take a little responsibility for that issue.
My point being, if you need tires (especially tires other than OEM) you should go to a tire dealer, not a new car dealer.

A good example from a Toyota forum the other day is where a Tacoma owner took his new truck to his Toyota dealer to have film applied to his hood/painted grill surround area. Toyota offers a film material package supposedly pre-cut for these areas.
He assumed the dealer's tech had experience installing film, well turns out they did not. He picked up his new truck to find dirt under film, areas popping up and multiple razor cuts in his paint all the way to the primer.

So no question, the dealer's fault, however the owner could have avoided this misery by taking his truck to a Xpel dealer to have film installed by experts as opposed to a Toyota tech who had never done it before. Also Xpel would have been less expensive.
I wanted OEM-size tires. I'm not sure how getting OEM size tires is a difficult task. It doesn't matter whether I wanted to keep the Sports Cups or go with Invos or whatever, as long as I'm keeping the OEM size this shouldn't have been that difficult.

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
Sorry for your situation. Although posting on the forum will do little to resolve your issue with the dealer, It would be most helpful to the Corvette community and forum members in your area if the name of the dealership was known so that they would be aware.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 11-17-2018 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-Please use the Multi Quote icon (in the lower right hand corner of each post) to make your responses look like this.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:32 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,719 Likes on 5,599 Posts

Last time I was in Covington, it was a pretty small town, so I assume they are a smaller dealership who don't sell many C7s, however (if so) that's certainly no excuse.
If a dealership can't do something as simple as changing tires when correct tire info is given to them you have to wonder if they can do anything right.
I agree that correcting the issue and giving you $100 for your trouble is the least they can do.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:44 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

One of the largest corvette dealers in my area suggested a specialty tire shop when I called them to install a new rear PSS 335 zp. I was a little annoyed by this until I went to the specialty tire shop and they just said sure no problem, and did a great job on it. But not ordering the right tire, then nobody catching it is a big failure. I gotta believe the entire service team knows when one of these bad boys is in the house. Lots of eyes on it.

Last edited by Zjoe6; 11-16-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:17 AM
JockamoIPA
Racer

So they can't get the AS 3+ today, they would come in Monday, but I'm heading out of town on Monday for TG and am taking the car for the road trip. So, they're going to get the Sports Cups today and realign the car. They're not going to charge me the labor for the mount and balance which is about $200. I've agreed to pay the difference for the Sports Cups. I've also asked them to let me know how they plan to compensate me for the inconvenience. I suggested they comp the MRC update which is $350. I've also suggested 2 free future oil changes which is about $250. Waiting to hear back from the service manager. We'll see how they handle it. As I said before, I've been coming to this dealership for over 7 years, have had all the maintenance on my C6 done here except for the radiator that I had to have replaced in Alabama because it cracked while on vacation. I've purchased 2 vehicles for my daughters from here, the point is I'm hoping they take care of a loyal customer. I don't want it for free, and it's not about the money. I'm not rich but I'm not struggling either so I'm not looking for a free ride. It's more of an acknowledgement that we screwed up and since you're a loyal customer we want to make sure we do right by you.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:44 AM
OntarioOrangeC3
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 143 Posts

I wanted OEM-size tires. I'm not sure how getting OEM size tires is a difficult task. It doesn't matter whether I wanted to keep the Sports Cups or go with Invos or whatever, as long as I'm keeping the OEM size this shouldn't have been that difficult.
It obviously isn't a difficult task getting the OEM size tires put on your car. There's no reason or excuse this should have happened, so your frustration is completely understandable & warranted.
As you pointed out in your other post, too many people today in the workforce either don't have the knowledge or are too indifferent to care. From my own experience over the years, I suspect it's more of the latter. Sad but true.
Good luck getting it resolved to your satisfaction.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:50 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

I’d find a dealer that sells and services plenty of vettes...there is not one listed on their site. While they should be able to service any model, we know that’s not reality if they rarely see one.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:58 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

They're not going to charge me the labor for the mount and balance which is about $200. I've agreed to pay the difference for the Sports Cups.
I think this is fair. Asking for the $350 update would likely mean they are under water on this as the margin on the tires wouldn't be that high. They made a mistake and are fixing it. I know its frustrating though.

Last edited by Maxpowers; 11-16-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:59 AM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Originally Posted by TXshaggy
I’d find a dealer that sells and services plenty of vettes...there is not one listed on their site. While they should be able to service any model, we know that’s not reality if they rarely see one.
There is a dealer about 25 minutes away, Ross Downing, in Hammond LA. They are the dealership in our area that seems to be the go to place for Vettes. Will have to strongly consider switching.

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
I think this is fair. Asking for the $350 update would likely mean they are under water on this as the margin on the tires wouldn't be that high. They made a mistake and are fixing it. I know its frustrating though.

We'll see how they respond. It's not a deal breaker, but depending on how they decide to take care of me as a loyal customer will definitely impact my decision to return. In the end, they screwed up and in business when you screw up it's all about how you decide to acknowledged your mistake and make the customer feel satisfied. Counting both cars purchased there (not the Vettes) and having my service done with them for the last 7 years we're talking easy $150k I've spent at that dealership. It's not astronomical, but there aren't many other customer/business relationships out there where you can say you've spent over $100k so it is a significant amount of money that could have been spent elsewhere.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 11-17-2018 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-Please use the Multi Quote icon (in the lower right hand corner of each post) to make your responses look like this.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:18 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 455 Likes on 342 Posts

at least something is going your way!
Old 11-16-2018, 02:30 PM
Luke42_02
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 545 Likes on 192 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by WelderGuy
They'll probably want to charge you for mounting and balancing two sets of tires...even if they put the old ones back on so you can go elsewhere.

Things will probably go better if you change your attitude. Haven't you ever made a mistake?
This is not a mistake, this is malpractice. The medical equivalent of this is: “Well, I opened him up to repair his heart, but I accidentally jumped up on the table and took a **** in his chest instead.”

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer ordered wrong tires

Old 11-16-2018, 02:38 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by Luke42_02

This is not a mistake, this is malpractice. The medical equivalent of this is: “Well, I opened him up to repair his heart, but I accidentally jumped up on the table and took a **** in his chest instead.”
Lol …
I was thinking more along the lines of a surgeon who amputated the wrong arm or leg. Its that egregious.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:40 PM
AKKutz
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts

I'm still lost on how a tech would even try to mount a 245 profile on a 10" rim (or 285 on a 12") with out raising questions!
Old 11-16-2018, 02:44 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by AKKutz
I'm still lost on how a tech would even try to mount a 245 profile on a 10" rim (or 285 on a 12") with out raising questions!
It probably wasent an actual tech, but you can bet someone worked there *** off just to do the job wrong.

Quick Reply: Dealer ordered wrong tires