Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infotainment Screen flickering cheap fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 04:38 PM
dfwvetteguy
Navigator

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Replacing the cable worked for me on my 2015. I no longer use the up/down button to raise and lower the screen as that is what eventually wears out the video cables. These are not usb cables but they are miniature hdmi cable. There are two of them. The one on the left is the one that needs to be replaced. The one on the right is for the PDR if you have that option. Dealer will not replace the cable. Their fix is to replace the entire infotainment module. Price of part is about $700 plus their high dollar labor. About a $900 fix from the dealer. Cable from "Amazon is only $7 , but you will need some basic tools like plastic panel tools from Harbor Freight. It took me a couple of days to take everything apart and replace the cable. Look for videos on line from youtube to replace the dash and how to remove the infotainment module. You just have to be careful.
The following 2 users liked this post by dfwvetteguy:
Flattman (06-24-2022), Luzifer (04-07-2022)
Old 05-22-2020, 07:25 AM
Silverboost
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mike884
Has this been proven effective for 2014's or is that still an early hardware issue. Basically it seems like replace the screen or replace the cord
The cord worked for me also. I went a yr or so by grabbing the wire behind the console and moving it to get the screen to stop flickering but eventually it would start back flickering again.
Old 08-13-2021, 10:09 AM
Mineolajoe
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwvetteguy
Replacing the cable worked for me on my 2015. I no longer use the up/down button to raise and lower the screen as that is what eventually wears out the video cables. These are not usb cables but they are miniature hdmi cable. There are two of them. The one on the left is the one that needs to be replaced. The one on the right is for the PDR if you have that option. Dealer will not replace the cable. Their fix is to replace the entire infotainment module. Price of part is about $700 plus their high dollar labor. About a $900 fix from the dealer. Cable from "Amazon is only $7 , but you will need some basic tools like plastic panel tools from Harbor Freight. It took me a couple of days to take everything apart and replace the cable. Look for videos on line from youtube to replace the dash and how to remove the infotainment module. You just have to be careful.

After reading all this I still have questions.

Is the cable from Amazon a direct replacement-plug and play - or must it be cut and spliced?

Is it absolutely necessary so that even the dealer must cut/trim/pry apart the plastic to replace the cable even if they replace the unit and the cable?

The display on my 2014 failed on the way home from the dealership (Corvette Warehouse in Dallas) and they repaired it. They did not say what the technician did to fix it. A month later it failed again and they won't even respond to my inquiries about working on it again. Needless to say, I'm not impressed with their communication abilities or customer service. At 72 I don't work on my stuff any more but my Corvette mechanic might work me in to his busy schedule. He said flickering is usually a sign of a failing unit but this string of posts makes me believe otherwise.
Old 08-13-2021, 02:22 PM
Fred Craddolph
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No cutting on the Amazon cable. The only cutting or trimming is on the bottom of the unit, where the cable is located. You to do that to get the cable replaced.
The following users liked this post:
Mineolajoe (08-13-2021)
Old 06-24-2022, 07:40 AM
Pauljglassman
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This worked for my 2014 . The cable was not damaged at all, just loose where it goes into the monitor. I confirmed this by wiggling it with the screen on. I will probably do it all over again just to better affix the new cable where it enters the monitor housing so it can't loosen from the monitor. I'm guessing that's probably why people who have replaced the entire infotainment screen end up having the same problem again. The oem cable just does not stay attached tightly to the monitor
Old 06-24-2022, 12:24 PM
Red4Me
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue and for now, I can unsnap the beauty panel on the console, pull off the small triangular plastic access panel and reach my hand (yeah, girl hand) in to push the connector with the tip of my finger nail. There are two connectors from what I can feel. Sometimes, I can push on the top of the connector and it fixes it, sometimes from the bottom, sometimes the one on the right, sometimes the one on the left. I really wasn't wanting to take my Vette's dash apart. Of course, the dealer told me I need a new electronic unit. Being an engineer, I knew better after I got to the "wiggling" of the wires...It's just getting old to keep doing this almost every third time I drive it. I thought about a gob of plumber's putty to hold them - NO, not, but.....
The following users liked this post:
COVetteHunter (10-05-2023)
Old 09-26-2022, 02:58 PM
Johnchrysostom
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much of the center console needs to be removed in order to expose these wiring harnesses? Thank you
Old 11-08-2022, 07:45 AM
JorgeAM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by agriffin1300

This is the Bottom of screen where the screen connection is located.. I popped the screen Housing off of the front and used pliers to fold down the middle portion of the plastic in order to unplug the connection and reconnect.

This is the Wire harness connection from the car itself

I trimmed the plastic overhang where the metal is located so that my connection would fully swat and then I taped the two together for added security

The connection that will seat onto the frame of the screen

Used a dremmel to cut factory wire housing from the factory blue wire connection and fixated it on the new wire in order to have a place to secure it to the frame in its original seating place. ( u can easily get creative and secure how you want

Ok fellas here are some updates pics to give guys a more vivid pic of what I did.. and the screen actually working
My screen has stayed black, before it flashes. I'm going to try that solution. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2023, 03:59 PM
C6_Prodigy
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Red4Me
I have the same issue and for now, I can unsnap the beauty panel on the console, pull off the small triangular plastic access panel and reach my hand (yeah, girl hand) in to push the connector with the tip of my finger nail. There are two connectors from what I can feel. Sometimes, I can push on the top of the connector and it fixes it, sometimes from the bottom, sometimes the one on the right, sometimes the one on the left. I really wasn't wanting to take my Vette's dash apart. Of course, the dealer told me I need a new electronic unit. Being an engineer, I knew better after I got to the "wiggling" of the wires...It's just getting old to keep doing this almost every third time I drive it. I thought about a gob of plumber's putty to hold them - NO, not, but.....
Can you elaborate on what the beauty panel is and where the triangular piece is? I'm helping a friend with his flickering screen and was hoping I could easily reach the wires to give them a wiggle, but I can't find my way in there.
Old 07-26-2023, 10:54 PM
Red4Me
8th Gear

When sitting in the drivers seat, the slightly padded interior trim on left side of console by your right leg…where the piece tapers toward the dash, carefully pull that end off the snap tabs, and a couple more but not the whole piece.

Feel just above where that end of the trim was…just above the end of that taper is a 2” x3” triangular piece that snaps flush. It’s on the left off and below the left side of the radio/screen but on the side.

The connectors plug into the unit (they would push in toward front of vehicle). Don’t unplug them, you will never get them plugged in. The other person’s post shows some pics….I’m not that brave to take that much apart. Reach in with your left hand, no jewelry, feel wires and follow to the connector, it doesn’t take much force AT ALL but put a little pressure on the one on the left….up, down, fingernail on the left most corner of the connector. You will figure out which way to apply pressure

The triangular piece is loosely sitting outside the slightly padded console trim that tapers. My padded trim is gray. The little triangle is black.
——it is not always the same way!!
Old 07-27-2023, 12:03 AM
C6_Prodigy
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Red4Me
When sitting in the drivers seat, the slightly padded interior trim on left side of console by your right leg…where the piece tapers toward the dash, carefully pull that end off the snap tabs, and a couple more but not the whole piece.

Feel just above where that end of the trim was…just above the end of that taper is a 2” x3” triangular piece that snaps flush. It’s on the left off and below the left side of the radio/screen but on the side.

The connectors plug into the unit (they would push in toward front of vehicle). Don’t unplug them, you will never get them plugged in. The other person’s post shows some pics….I’m not that brave to take that much apart. Reach in with your left hand, no jewelry, feel wires and follow to the connector, it doesn’t take much force AT ALL but put a little pressure on the one on the left….up, down, fingernail on the left most corner of the connector. You will figure out which way to apply pressure

The triangular piece is loosely sitting outside the slightly padded console trim that tapers. My padded trim is gray. The little triangle is black.
——it is not always the same way!!
Thank you so much. This thread is a wealth of knowledge and your description was the missing piece for me to get in there and check out the connection.

Edit: I was able to get in there and push on the connections. Screen is working fine now, no more flicker. We'll see how long it lasts. Was super easy to get in there with your instructions. Thanks again.

Last edited by C6_Prodigy; 07-28-2023 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:56 PM
IA-SteveB
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

I know this thread is old, but I wanted to say thanks to everyone who participated. I was contemplating a dealer visit, knowing what they would say. This helped me a ton. Mine is a loose or frayed cable on the head unit. A horn tap brought it out of it for about ten minutes and I can exacerbate the problem with lowering the screen. What a terrible design for something meant to be used as a storage compartment. I ordered the cable mentioned because I am not sure if mine will have the extra unused cable for the PDR on a 2014 1LT.
The following 2 users liked this post by IA-SteveB:
Blackcherry20 (04-12-2024), jmarkey77 (04-11-2024)

Quick Reply: Infotainment Screen flickering cheap fix