Sponsored by:

Aftermarket remote start for M7?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 04:21 PM
Toddiesel
Drifting

Received 400 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by eseibel67
My guess is the car knows what gear its in by a calculation of input shaft speed and vehicle speed which it could not figure out when the car is parked waiting for a remote start. It would take too many additional sensors to actually know the position of the lever. And even if the car was convinced that the lever was in the N position while parked, it would still be unsafe to have remote start on a manual trans. Lawyers anticipate every angle of potential liability and theres too much risk in a flailing driver flopping into a running car and inadvertently ramming the lever into 1st because he thinks its a grab handle.
Assuming you have a C7, just sit in the car with it running and parked. Push in the clutch. Run through the gears. You car will show 1, 2, 3, etc all the way up to 7 when you're not even moving. The car KNOWS what gear you're in. That being said, there are far too many people that are just going to **** on this idea. There are people that like to put spark plugs in their exhaust tips and shoot flames out the back. It's dumb and unsafe, but if I saw a thread where someone was asking how to do it, I'd say "Probably not the best idea, but here's a youtube video on how to do it!". I don't understand everyone's dying need to act like my father. He's 70 and is a curmudgeon and even he isn't as bad as all this. And to the guy who says I have a simultaneous thread in the Z06 forum, no **** sherlock. If you look at the start of the thread it says specifically that but that I wanted to extend it to general C7 forum because it's not JUST applicable to the Z06 and I asked people to jump in on THAT forum so that it could be centralized in one thread. Guess I need to unsubscribe to my own thread AGAIN. And as I mentioned in the Z06 version of this, if anyone has any helpful info, please shoot me a PM. Unsubscribed.

Oh and just to throw it out there, it's pretty common to have it done, I just don't know how to do it on a C7 https://www.mobileedgeonline.com/can...-transmission/

Last edited by Toddiesel; 12-04-2018 at 04:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Toddiesel:
defaria (12-04-2018), DWillys (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 07:06 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Now you experience all the **** I get from what I call the haters. I have a list of them. It's called my ignore list. I feel better all the time when I see their **** is hidden from me. I just wish sometimes that people wouldn't quote them because that's when I see what they wrote. But many of them incorrectly assume I'm not blocking them. I guess they just don't know how the ignore list works. It's not the only thing they've gotten wrong....
Old 12-04-2018, 07:31 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddiesel
Assuming you have a C7, just sit in the car with it running and parked. Push in the clutch. Run through the gears. You car will show 1, 2, 3, etc all the way up to 7 when you're not even moving. The car KNOWS what gear you're in. That being said, there are far too many people that are just going to **** on this idea. There are people that like to put spark plugs in their exhaust tips and shoot flames out the back. It's dumb and unsafe, but if I saw a thread where someone was asking how to do it, I'd say "Probably not the best idea, but here's a youtube video on how to do it!". I don't understand everyone's dying need to act like my father. He's 70 and is a curmudgeon and even he isn't as bad as all this. And to the guy who says I have a simultaneous thread in the Z06 forum, no **** sherlock. If you look at the start of the thread it says specifically that but that I wanted to extend it to general C7 forum because it's not JUST applicable to the Z06 and I asked people to jump in on THAT forum so that it could be centralized in one thread. Guess I need to unsubscribe to my own thread AGAIN. And as I mentioned in the Z06 version of this, if anyone has any helpful info, please shoot me a PM. Unsubscribed. [AGAIN]

Oh and just to throw it out there, it's pretty common to have it done, I just don't know how to do it on a C7 https://www.mobileedgeonline.com/can...-transmission/
Youre conflating two things Vindiesel... Just because the dashboard displays what gear it is in while on, doesn't mean the remote starter system could use it (while the power is off I might add) to confirm the stick shifter is in neutral with the parking brake engaged, which is what the system needs.

If you watched your own linked video (which is from 2009 btw with a demo of a SUV, so you might want a recent video of a sports car...), you'll see there is a standard workaround to turn off the car (push off) with the clutch out, stick in neutral, and parking brake engaged, but the engine stays on until you get out and close the door, then the engine turns off. By getting out the stationary car, you confirm indirectly to this workaround that the car must be kosher to remote start (unless someone opens the door first). Or you can pay a dude to sit in your car to confirm the shifter is in neutral with the brake on so you can remote start your car.

From your-father-is-70-comment, I guess you're my age but I never would have guessed. I would have guessed 99 from the perseveration with the crazy idea , or 20, because of the naivete. Your father might be as you say a "curmudgeon" because he's frustrated his son keeps asking him how to remote start a manual??

Again, godspeed (until next year's thread and resubscribing) and may your parking brake never fail you (and may your car be far from children)!

Last edited by Parcival; 12-04-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:10 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Parcival
Youre conflating two things Vindiesel... Just because the dashboard displays what gear it is in while on, doesn't mean the remote starter system could use it (while the power is off I might add) to confirm the stick shifter is in neutral with the parking brake engaged, which is what the system needs.
But it does show that it is detectable in an electronic circuit. Such a value could be preserved in NVRAM and the system, even when off, could interrogate that value. Even in the video, the system must store the state in order to interrogate it when the remote start is attempted. In the video they call it reservation mode but it's clear that the state of the vehicle is stored when the car is off and interrogated when remote start is pushed. Basically it proves that this is indeed doable. Now why you want to poo poo this idea and attack Toddiesel says a lot more about your crappy personality than his.

If you watched your own linked video (which is from 2009 btw with a demo of a SUV, so you might want a recent video of a sports car...), you'll see there is a standard workaround to turn off the car (push off) with the clutch out, stick in neutral, and parking brake engaged, but the engine stays on until you get out and close the door, then the engine turns off. By getting out the stationary car, you confirm indirectly to this workaround that the car must be kosher to remote start (unless someone opens the door first). Or you can pay a dude to sit in your car to confirm the shifter is in neutral with the brake on so you can remote start your car.

From your-father-is-70-comment, I guess you're my age but I never would have guessed. I would have guessed 99 from the perseveration with the crazy idea , or 20, because of the naivete. Your father might be as you say a "curmudgeon" because he's frustrated his son keeps asking him how to remote start a manual??

Again, godspeed (until next year's thread and resubscribing) and may your parking brake never fail you (and may your car be far from children)!
Uncalled for. The guy was just trying to discuss something and you have to bash him? For what?
Old 12-04-2018, 09:47 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,367 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
Now you experience all the **** I get from what I call the haters. I have a list of them. It's called my ignore list. I feel better all the time when I see their **** is hidden from me. I just wish sometimes that people wouldn't quote them because that's when I see what they wrote. But many of them incorrectly assume I'm not blocking them. I guess they just don't know how the ignore list works. It's not the only thing they've gotten wrong....
Because you treat people like ****. Get a clue. Somebody please quote this.
The following users liked this post:
Mayor111 (12-05-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 12:13 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
But it does show that it is detectable in an electronic circuit. Such a value could be preserved in NVRAM and the system, even when off, could interrogate that value. Even in the video, the system must store the state in order to interrogate it when the remote start is attempted. In the video they call it reservation mode but it's clear that the state of the vehicle is stored when the car is off and interrogated when remote start is pushed. Basically it proves that this is indeed doable. Now why you want to poo poo this idea and attack Toddiesel says a lot more about your crappy personality than his

Uncalled for. The guy was just trying to discuss something and you have to bash him? For what?
I hear that you two are philosophically on this Apollo 13 mission together ...and you both are certainly free to juryrig whatever FrankenVette with your own cars.

However, commercial systems like Viper and Clifford need to not only make something that is "doable", but also have something that will be cost-effective and not open them up to liability by morons: hence, the engine-door close workaround. They're not hacking the C7 system at the level you want.

Because this is a free discussion forum, I and many others have opined on the related safety risk and risk-reward over two long years of OP's obsession (luckily i missed 2017). And as hard as this may be to believe, this is in fact not your eponymous Twitter site that you control...

Originally Posted by Woodson
And THIS^^^

Last edited by Parcival; 12-05-2018 at 12:23 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:01 AM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,967 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
I've reported Defaria to the admins and so should everyone. If enough people share his behavior with the admins, he will get banned. After Defaria actually texted profanities to my phone, it went too far for me and the admins told me that they informed him, that if he continued his nonsense, he would be banned - so, share this behavior with the admins and we will finally be rid of this disgraceful person.

Don't reply to his posts - dont give him an audience - just report him cause there is no place for someone like him on this or any forum.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:05 AM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,772 Likes on 4,193 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

We're done here....another pissing match. Another closed thread.

I see no halo's above anyone's heads here....there's no perfect angels here.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket remote start for M7?