Sponsored by:

5 point harness? Who's got one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 04:42 PM
VENOM ACR
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 114 Posts
Default 5 point harness? Who's got one?

I'm not looking for a full on roll cage, but I have seen a bar right behind the seats and then shoulder straps come through the openings in the competition seats. Just wondering who has a 5 point harness setup and didn't turn their interior into a full blown roll cage. I love the way a 5 point holds up in the seat but don't think it's possible without a roll bar behind the seats.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:45 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I know it’s been done. However in a roll over accident they are dangerous and difficult to get out of. Not worth the risk without a cage IMO.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:31 PM
Luke42_02
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 545 Likes on 192 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Do a search and you’ll find lots of info. I copied my setup from the people here. I have a shark bar and under seat anchor from vetteworks and an anti-submarine harness from schroth. It is a 4 point harness with a 5th that can be added if neccissary. I also use a Simpson hybrid device which is like a hans device.

I haven’t crashed, so my advice isn’t worth much, but it seems like a stout setup. The hans device is somewhat controversial because if the roof collapsed you could become a load bearing column and get crushed. The B-pillar is incredibly stout in the C7, if it collapses, I think you were probably going to die anyway. I think you’re at much greater risk of a whiplash or vertebral injury than the roof collapsing, so I wear a Hans-type device. I am not 100% sure, but I believe they wear these devices at Spring Mountain.

I have never heard anyone say that a simple 4 or 5 point harness can be dangerous compared to a standard seatbelt and harnesses are highly recommended if you are doing a lot of HPDE.

Last edited by Luke42_02; 12-17-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:54 PM
VENOM ACR
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 114 Posts

I do a couple track days a year, but I actually find it more comfortable just daily driving or cruising around. I like the feeling of being secured tightly to the seat and having the belts over the shoulder I feel is more comfortable then across the chest. Probably the minority here but I'm more comfortable with an over the shoulder harness and lap belts.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:42 PM
Koan
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a 6 pt and do not use the stock seats. I have racing seats with a lower seating position and higher belt cutouts. I have a BK bar. If you look at the angle between a shark bar and your shoulders, you will see that in the case of a sudden deceleration accident (not even a roll over), you will experience spinal compression forces because the angle of the belt exceeds 20 degrees. I consider that a more dangerous situation than just using a 3 pt and letting the airbag do its thing. The stock "competition" seats are not made to use 5 or 6 point harness unless the bar is VERY high, beyond anything I have seen on the market short of a full cage with custom attachment points, unless you are something like 5'6" or less.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:58 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by nikeair042
I'm not looking for a full on roll cage, but I have seen a bar right behind the seats and then shoulder straps come through the openings in the competition seats. Just wondering who has a 5 point harness setup and didn't turn their interior into a full blown roll cage. I love the way a 5 point holds up in the seat but don't think it's possible without a roll bar behind the seats.
There are several things you can do. The lowest cost method is to use the stock 3 point belt properly in Cinch Mode. With the C7 seats it will hold you in place just as well as a 5 or 6 point belt. The belt isn't meant to hold you in the car, it is meant to hold you in the seat and the seat holds you in the car. To enable cinch mode properly start with the seat all the way to the rear, then pull lap/shoulder belt all the way out until it hits a hard stop, then fasten belt (you should hear the belt ratcheting back into the retainer while doing this), once fastened use both hands to pull lap belt tight by pulling on shoulder belt above the latch. Once you get it tight take one hand and hold the lap belt tight against the latch adjuster and use the other to push any slack in the shoulder belt back into the retractor. Once that is done move the seat forward into your driving position. Depending on how tall you are the belt will get extremely tight across your lap and chest. If it doesn't hurt it isn't tight enough.

If you are tall and can't move the seat forward very much then have a companion outside the car pull (using all of their weight) to get the belt tight and shove the slack into the retainer. When I take people for rides using the stock belts I pull their belt tight before I get in the car. Once they are screaming about the belt being too tight I close the door. The belts whether they are 3 point, 4 point, 5 point or 6 point can't get too tight.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To 5 point harness? Who's got one?

Quick Reply: 5 point harness? Who's got one?