Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help deciding on which C7 to get

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 07:27 AM
thirtythird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Walk around the lot and just stare at them all for a bit. I saw a sweet white z51 convertible with red interior, jake stinger hood decal, red calipers, black wheels, black mirrors and rear spoiler, 2lt optioned. Was perfect...but I was not ready to buy yet in July because I felt the deals were not right just yet. However, I knew that it had to be similar to this one.

In December while on vacation in Las Vegas I noticed an add in these here fora for a 2016 z51 coupe, glass top, black wheels, red calipers, 3lt, manual car. It was stickered at 73K, on sale for 56 so I pulled the trigger immediately, sight unseen, from Las Vegas on a car in Ohio. Destiny...lol. Deal went perfect (thanks, Rick Conti). The only option this car did not have that I would have liked was the magnetic suspension. However, this was the sweetest car I've ever had, or probably ever will have. Just awesome. It did not have the Jake stinger decal, but I ordered the OEM one, watched a few youtube videos and applied it myself. It came out great.

Anyway, what I wanted to pass along is that for me doing a walk through a large Corvette dealership may help you narrow down what you want since you can look at all the cars on the lot and compare them all. For me, the white one "grabbed" me more than any other so I was locked in (I also rented a white stingray while on vacation in Florida, so I knew I liked white because it popped and it was not gaudy (to me).

Good luck!
Old 12-27-2018, 08:53 AM
Cliffp
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the reply! Where were you able to rent a c7 in Florida?
Old 12-27-2018, 09:01 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,842 Likes on 5,646 Posts

Originally Posted by Cliffp
The major car rental companies (Enterprise) would be a good place to start.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:13 AM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,110 Likes on 523 Posts

If you aren’t going to track it no need for a z51. If you like the wide body go with the GS. If not base car is fine. Some like myself prefer the base look.

Sounds like you want a convertible. I find with the roof removed from my coupe the turbulence is not the best experience. Only down side is loss of some storage.

I currently have a 2LT. Personally if I ordered new I would get a 1LT. I just don’t use the items that come with 2LT. As for 3LT I can’t see the value for the cost.

Mag ride is great whatever you get.

Make sure to sit in one and drive it. Personally I do not like the seats in my C7 vs my C6. But others love them. It’s subjective.

If you do go for a vert good luck finding M7’s. Even the big dealers don’t carry many.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:41 AM
Thatsok
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Buy base one. Most people not need z51 package.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:12 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

If your just looking to cruise over to the golf course get a base stingray in 2LT, clearly the sweet spot IMO for those who never push there car or desire to do so. I live I FL too, top off season is limited to the cooler months, just to damn hot in the summer. I have never seen any FL dealers be even closely competitive with the big forum dealers, Kerbeck being one of them.

Last edited by cheapthrills; 12-27-2018 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:25 AM
j-wireman
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You're in South Florida: You need a light color like white, yellow or light gray.
You want options: Top up or top down. Get a convertible. Yes, there is room for your clubs.
Don't get a black interior. (Personally, I believe the interior of a convertible should be colorful so, I went with the Spice Red package. Twilight Blue is nice, too).
At the very least, get the 2LT interior (3LT required for S. Red or T. Blue pkgs).
After purchasing, I would recommend getting something to protect the paint from stone chips on the lower sides and the nose.
I have a '90 convertible and a '16 convertible. You'll love the C7. It really is the best one ever.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:31 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Don't overpay by using a local dealer who cannot compete with the volume corvette dealers. Buy from one of the forum dealers-Kerbeck, McKulken, Criswell-and arrange a courtesy delivery to your local dealer. Costs $300-500 which will be more than absorbed by the saving you will get.

My advice based upon what you indicated is to get a 2LT convertible w/o the Z51 pkg. You don't need the extra handling the Z51 or GS gives you for street driving in Fla. Contrary to what some might say or infer, the base non Z51 has way more handling ability then you will ever need on the streets.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:43 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Only you can decide whether you want a coup or convertible, storage space shouldn't be an issue with either.

A 2018 will be discounted substantially greater than a 2019, however if you want a manual you may have to order a 2019 depending on how specific your color/combo and features as dealers carry very few manuals in inventory, even fewer manual convertibles.
You may be able to negotiate as much as a 20+% off MRSP discount on remaining in inventory 2018 at some of the larger regional Corvette dealers. 2019 will be more like 10%>14% off MSRP.

Both Stingray and Grandsport are Great sportscars, Choice as to which to purchase depends how much you like the wide-body look and how much you value the performance/handling/breaking aspects. Z51 addresses the performance factor to an extent if you don't care for wide-body.
NPP exhaust and MRC are a must in my opinion.

Below is a little info that may help in your decision:

There's basically (3) reasons the Grand Sport is appealing to so many:
The beautiful and exotic wide-body look is VERY POPULAR.
The exceptional marrying of power-handling-braking makes the over-all Grand Sport driving experience among that of the very finest sportscars in the world.
The GS package offers the most bang for the buck of any C7 package.

Z16 GS Performance Package features ($10,000): Specific front fender inserts; Z06 style grill; wider rear fenders; front splitter; rocker skirts, additional brake cooling vents and wickerbill rear spoiler; GS CUP-style wheels; Michelin super-sport summer only tires (P285/30ZR19” front, P33525ZR20” rear); 6-piston front and 4-pison front Bremo brakes; Slotted brake rotors; Magnetic Ride Control and Electronic Limited-slip differential; NPP exhaust, Dry-sump oil system; Rear differential cooler; transmission cooler.

Z51 Performance Package features ($5,000): Performance brakes; Black painted calibers; Slotted brake rotors; Dry sump oil system; Z51 performance package, specific shocks, springs and stabilizer bars; NPP exhaust; performance gear ratios, Electronic Limited-slip differential; Rear differential cooler; transmission cooler and Areo package.
Note: Magnetic Ride Control adds $1800 to $5000 Z51 cost.

1LT Trim/Equipment Package:
A nicely equipped sportscar including 8” touchscreen, Bose AM-FM 9 speaker stereo, 3 month Sirius/XM,MP3, MyLink, OnStar, 4G LTE, 8” HD driver info screen, leather power GT sports seats, power break set/release, power locks/windows, active handling, dual-zone AC, keyless access/start, power tilt/telescopic, leather wrap steering w/flat bottom wheel, cruise control, tire pressure monitor, driver, passenger and side airbags, carbon fiber hood, Bremo 4-piston disc brakes, rear view camera, coup- body color painted carbon fiber roof panels, convertible- power soft-top which can be lowered remotely.

2LT includes (adds $4500):
Adds a few necessities including everything found in the 1LT plus: Console and door panels in interior color, Lumbar/wing adjust, Heated/vented seats, Seat emblems, front camera, 10-speaker Bose® premium audio system, Universal Home Remote, Auto-dimming mirrors, Memory Package, Head-Up Display, SiriusXM Satellite Radio with one-year subscription, Enhanced Theft-Deterrent Package, Luggage shade/cargo net

3LT includes (adds $9745):
Everything found in the 1LT and 2LT plus: Navation, PDR upgraded leather.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Not to worry, I go through the same thing every time I decide I want a new Corvette. And, I've owned them for over 30 years. Kevin has given you all the info. to help. So, I'll give you my simple thoughts. If you can travel to get your car, call Criswell Chevrolet, Kerbecks, Coughlin, or MacMuklin's. All are forum vendors, and have great prices. Also, if you don't need the options that go with the higher trim lines just go with a 1LT with the M7. The 1LT's are great cars and with the base options (that are still many) the prices are cheaper. And, coupes are cheaper than convertibles. Good luck, after you pick the trim level the next biggest mountain to claims is "What Color". The good thing is the C7 looks great in any color.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 12-27-2018 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:49 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

"MacMulkin" Chevrolet
Old 12-27-2018, 03:29 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,012 Likes on 2,891 Posts

New or Used??
Old 12-27-2018, 03:39 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Not to worry, I go through the same thing every time I decide I want a new Corvette. And, I've owned them for over 30 years. Kevin has given you all the info. to help. So, I'll give you my simple thoughts. If you can travel to get your car, call Criswell Chevrolet, Kerbecks, Coughlin, or MacMuklin's. All are forum vendors, and have great prices. Also, if you don't need the options that go with the higher trim lines just go with a 1LT with the M7. The 1LT's are great cars and with the base options (that are still many) the prices are cheaper. And, coupes are cheaper than convertibles. Good luck, after you pick the trim level the next biggest mountain to claims is "What Color". The good thing is the C7 looks great in any color.
If he buys new, and out-of-State, he may be waiving any and all his State's Rights to exercise Federally mandated Lemon Law proceedings against the manufacturer. That's being SOL.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:16 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

A loaded Grand Sport Convertible is now selling (with discounts) for about what I paid for my 2016 Z51 Convertible in September of 2015. If you like the features that the Grand Sport offers, it's a no brainer. Otherwise a base convertible will do the trick for about $10,000 less.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:24 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,778 Likes on 3,186 Posts

OP. Life is short.

if you can afford it? Get the nicest one to your eyes and mind you can get.

the sensible thing to do if using for pleasure only is get a 2LT stingray convertible.

the standard body C7 in convertible form looks great. I love the widebody and I took advantage of 20% deal on my 2016 Z06. Otherwise I would have bought a stingray. I'm glad I did it as this is truly on par with supercar performance.

but I came from an 08 C6 and i really could have owned and kept enjoying it forever. But......life is short.

Go shopping.... go with your heart. You'll know what to do.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:29 PM
Cliffp
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I found a 2018 convertible 1LT with the magnetic ride control plus a few other options. The msrp is $66k and they are asking $56k. Thoughts? Color combo is nice.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:55 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,936 Likes on 4,815 Posts

I found a 2018 convertible 1LT with the magnetic ride control plus a few other options. The msrp is $66k and they are asking $56k. Thoughts? Color combo is nice.
Always better deals out there if you want to keep looking for the so called ultimate deal. This is a pretty good deal, you can see if they will move off the 56k number a few grand if not the hell with it good enough meets all my needs I would buy it.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 07:08 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

The consensus of CF C7 is to get at least a 2LT.
.. I'd strenuously recommend a 3LT, since that's what I have and I'm overjoyed in the quality of C7 satisfaction that my bought new 2017 Stingray has it!! .

Get notified of new replies

To Need some help deciding on which C7 to get

Old 12-27-2018, 07:13 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 477 Likes on 309 Posts

Hertz has Corvettes available for rent you will need to check availability in Florida. If I remember Tampa was one of the places. Will probably be an automatic car though
Old 12-27-2018, 07:39 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,135 Likes on 1,831 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
.. I'd strenuously recommend a 3LT, .
I knew if i yelled Loud enough you'd e Show..Joey 3LT!
Skid (mark)Row Joe and 3LT Are like PEAS AND CARROTS
Old 12-27-2018, 08:13 PM
H Watkins
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16, '21

Quick Reply: Need some help deciding on which C7 to get