Sponsored by:

Used Covette advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 11:22 AM
shineocd
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
Yeah sorry for my ignorance. I had no idea they had that clause. You're right it's no big deal but you still have to deal with getting the title lean cleared. Kind of a hassle if you just want to pay cash and be done with it.
Funny you mentioned cash If you offer them to buy it for cash the price is higher than what's posted if you finance it
Old 12-27-2018, 11:39 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

"Certified Pre-Owned" is a Red Flag. Be very careful when considering buying into this language. Bring your mechanic before you purchase one of these. CPO means nothing other than someone is picking up the cost of an extened warranty. Find out the specifics of the warranty and who is picking the warranty up (GM or the dealer). Caveat Emptor.
Umm... Not sure if that advice was meant for me or the OP. I hadn't even noticed it was CPO. I was just posting the high advertised price of a local car.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:44 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Originally Posted by shineocd
Funny you mentioned cash If you offer them to buy it for cash the price is higher than what's posted if you finance it
Yeah no surprise. They're getting a kick back from the financing. Maybe wait until after Jan 2nd. I remember Kerbeck was selling for a thou or two higher than MacMulkin when I bought mine and Kerbeck said it was because of their 1.5% financing or something like that. I told the guy I don't need financing and I'll just deal with MacMulkin.
Old 12-27-2018, 11:46 AM
shineocd
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sconn
Umm... Not sure if that advice was meant for me or the OP. I hadn't even noticed it was CPO. I was just posting the high advertised price of a local car.
I think he was helping me out with some good advice.
The following users liked this post:
MMD (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 12:15 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Sorry, no idea what either of you guys is talking about. Like I said I just bought one and never heard of this. The price in green is what I paid, no financing BS or any other tag on's. The two I posted have no financing contingencies.
I never even asked for financing and they made the same offer to me regardless. I puchased from Mac also recently. Dealers make a lot of money financing but you already know this.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:51 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

8spd Automatic, 2LT, IO6 radio with Navigation, GS chrome wheels, red calipers, HUD, black hash marks on the front fenders, etc. $59,900
Remember, price is always negotiable, and this price should be also. Also, some of the A8 trannies came with a fluid that wasn't the best, and there is a Technical Service Bulletin for a newer fluid. This one may, or may not have the correct fluid. So, just for the general principal of the matter I would ask them to change the fluid to the new stuff as part of the deal. I don't see why they wouldn't, GM pays them back for the parts and labor. Good luck.

And, do not buy into the post that every A8 is flawed. There were some, but every manufacturer has those problems. The reason I mentioned the fluid is the trannies would develop a "shudder" because the viscosity of the original fluid wasn't correct. Some of the first A8 car had some fairly serious problem with the torque tube, but GM seems to have a handle on that now.

Also, as stated if you don't really need the things that come with a 2LT package check out these prices at Criswell Chevrolet in Maryland. We just drove the 400 miles from North Carolina to pick up our '19 GS from them. I don't know where you live, but if you can travel do yourself a favor. Call, ask for Mike Furman, and get his rock bottom price. I'll bet my hat you can drive away with a brand new A8 1LT for the same, or better price than the used one. Mike is the most knowledgeable Corvette salesperson you will ever meet.

Here is a list of Criswell's 1LT's. Youa may want to check out the prices of the 2LT's on the site. You just never know.

https://www.criswellchevrolet.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=new&model=Co rvette&trim=Grand%20Sport%20Coupe%201LT

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 12-27-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 02:09 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Can I walk into any GM dealer and get the VIS with just the VIN number?
Should be: any GMC, Cad, Chev., Buick dealer w. the vin should be able to call it up on their computer (svce dept) and either print it out for you free or let you read it on the screen. Just remember not all cars are serviced at a dealer, but the tsb's done, the recalls done and some/all of the service done at the dealer will show.

And as to CPO meaning nothing more than language, that is not true for every make and model. So, it depends. To an extent my opinion of what I've read on here for over ten years is that CPO means something in/about Chevs but may not be quite as good as some other makes. And, rather than taking your mech/tech with you to the dealership, ask to be able to have someone take it TO your mech/tech's shop with a rep of the dealership standing there as well as yourself. If I were a dealer, I may not let YOUR tech/mech put the car up on the dealer's lift.

Last edited by AORoads; 12-27-2018 at 02:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AORoads:
Rebel Yell (12-27-2018), shineocd (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 07:26 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,002 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Financing, undoubtedly will always cost you more. However, read the fine print of their contract/purchase order. Paying cash new or used, has never cost me more.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:10 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

I never even asked for financing and they made the same offer to me regardless. I puchased from Mac also recently. Dealers make a lot of money financing but you already know this.
Hmm maybe the interest rates going up changed that. They never even mentioned it last June. Just asked how I was going to pay for it.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:18 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Hmm maybe the interest rates going up changed that. They never even mentioned it last June. Just asked how I was going to pay for it.
yes, interest rates did go up during the summer. I even told Mark on day 1 that I would be paying cash and still got 2 offers to finance from them.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:32 PM
speedDriver
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@Sconn now that's a beauty
Old 12-27-2018, 10:24 PM
hemistar1
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Lots of choices

Hello All,

As I said in my new member intro I will be buying my first Corvette. Looking very seriously at 2017 Torch Red GS 2LT with about 5300 miles on it. Still factory warranty remaining. I have bought used cars before but not a Vette. Anything i need to be looking for in particular? I know seems like fundamental question and I don't want to over think it but just want some expert advice. I have the Car Fax report. Looks good. One owner no reports of any issues on that document. Thank you in Advance for any advice or links you can provide.

I am a new owner 3 weeks in and chiming in just bought a 17’ Z51 from carmax 1LT with 2K miles..extremely satisfied and have balance of factory warranty and picked up extended warranty to 100k.I miss the navigation but my son helped set up android auto and I now have free navy from my phone to my dash.

Three things I looked for :
  1. tire wear front and back
  2. driver seat wear
  3. service and repair history
with low miles not too worried about anything mechanical just cosmetics.

59K Is not bad price if car is exceptional but 54k to 55k is the low range Ive seen so..some dealers in my area have new 2017 still on lot but they are mostly 1lt non GS or z51..Good luck and send me a pm for any specific questions.

I recommend carmax I have sold and bought cars there for last 10 years.if they have what you want get them to deliver it.

Check out this dealer with brand new 2017 GS 2 and 3LT never titled and you may want To go for a new car for 3 or 4 k more.they’ve been sitting on these for a while.

https://www.prioritychevrolet.com/Ve...model=Corvette

check this this one below...

https://www.krietzauto.com/all-inven...model=Corvette

Last edited by hemistar1; 12-28-2018 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-27-2018, 11:44 PM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Do i get the service report from the dealer? Can any dealer run t with a VIN#
Vehicle identification number number?
The following 2 users liked this post by ZERRY 316:
KCV (12-27-2018), shineocd (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 01:41 PM
shineocd
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
Remember, price is always negotiable, and this price should be also. Also, some of the A8 trannies came with a fluid that wasn't the best, and there is a Technical Service Bulletin for a newer fluid. This one may, or may not have the correct fluid. So, just for the general principal of the matter I would ask them to change the fluid to the new stuff as part of the deal. I don't see why they wouldn't, GM pays them back for the parts and labor. Good luck.

And, do not buy into the post that every A8 is flawed. There were some, but every manufacturer has those problems. The reason I mentioned the fluid is the trannies would develop a "shudder" because the viscosity of the original fluid wasn't correct. Some of the first A8 car had some fairly serious problem with the torque tube, but GM seems to have a handle on that now.

Also, as stated if you don't really need the things that come with a 2LT package check out these prices at Criswell Chevrolet in Maryland. We just drove the 400 miles from North Carolina to pick up our '19 GS from them. I don't know where you live, but if you can travel do yourself a favor. Call, ask for Mike Furman, and get his rock bottom price. I'll bet my hat you can drive away with a brand new A8 1LT for the same, or better price than the used one. Mike is the most knowledgeable Corvette salesperson you will ever meet.

Here is a list of Criswell's 1LT's. Youa may want to check out the prices of the 2LT's on the site. You just never know.

https://www.criswellchevrolet.com/Ve...%20Coupe%201LT
What would be the correct fluid?

Quick Reply: Used Covette advice