Spring Mountain expansion/insurance factor

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 10:30 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I've done Spring Mountain twice (2001 and 2018), learned a lot and had a lot of fun both times even though I had lots of autocross and HPDE between those two years.

At my first HPDE weekend many years ago, someone asked the lead instructor if HPDE students were better and safer drivers.
He said that in his experience, they were better but no safer, because they tended to push the cars more on the street. I have no statistics but anecdotal evidence suggests that he is correct.
The following users liked this post:
Jeffthunbird (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 12:58 AM
Silver C7
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I've done Spring Mountain twice (2001 and 2018), learned a lot. At my first HPDE weekend many years ago, someone asked the lead instructor if HPDE students were better and safer drivers.
He said that in his experience, they were better but no safer, because they tended to push the cars more on the street. I have no statistics but anecdotal evidence suggests that he is correct.
And that’s the initial thought of my post. 400 students a year, some repeaters, still a few thousand drivers, a good sample size. What do the numbers say? That’s what I’m curious about...
Old 01-05-2019, 01:06 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski

Wow, Sesibaba seems to have struck a nerve. Seriously, that post set you off? I hear older generations joking about “snowflakes”, but I have to wonder did he invade your “safe space”?

I’m neither 34 nor 65 (45)...and I didn’t take his observations as a slight. If you drive like a pro and screw like an 18 year old, then good for you...but Relax. You have to be aware that MOST (not all) of your generation do own garage queens and are noobs to this kind of event. I attended Spring Mountain 2017 in my early 40’s and I too found most of the gray hairs to be frustratingly slow. It’s an open class/event, so it comes with the territory and overall found it to be highly enjoyable.

Im going back to SM in late February and can’t wait. I’ve always driven manual, but got an A8 Z06 when I attended last time. This time I’m looking forward to driving a manual.
No, he didn't strike a nerve, I just find it a bit funny the way he observed things. I'm neither under 34 or over 65 myself, and I've done a few years of Autocross (although in a much less powerful car than my current ZO6), but no on track experience. I've done the Corvette Owner School once and the Level 1 3 day once, and in the Level 1 there were 3- 30 somethings and 2- 20 somethings, the rest in the 40's, 50's and one guy 72. Quickest guy was 52, second was 40, I was third and tied with the 72 year old, so much for the younger is better theory. One observation I had was that although we were told in the classroom that "smooth and deliberate= fast", the younger guys seemed to be trying way too hard, guess they hadn't figured out that the car goes faster in a straight line than sideways, drifting may be cool, but it ain't fast.
The following 2 users liked this post by TKgs2010:
blkvet6 (01-06-2019), jimmbbo (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 01:15 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Another interesting aside here, I asked Chief Instructor Rick Malone the percentage of Corvette owners that actually take advantage of GM's deal for the Corvette Owner School, and he told me it hovered in the mid 30% range. That's pretty sad, considering we all spend between $50k to upwards of 100k depending on which form of Corvette we buy, you would think spending another $1,000 to actually learn what the car is capable of in a controlled track environment, my local Corvette Club has around 400 members and I only know of about 4 or 5 other than myself that have been to Spring Mountain. I guess looking at it that way, it does support the "garage queen/waxer" theory.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:35 AM
madski
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't imagine its 30% - the math does not work (like 30k cars sold a year would leave 9k students - that's a 173 drivers per week, every week of the year at SM). It is sad that more people don't take advantage of this great program.
I did mine in 17. In my late 40's. I have some car track experience though most of it is well over a decade ago as well as some AutoX. I do a good bit of track time with motorcycles, a dozen plus days on track a year on the bike(s). I ended up as one of the 2 fastest guys on track (oddly both in M7 Z51's - great having the instructor call the group of Z06's in front of you to pull over so you can go by )
I think that initially limited track time and limited instruction may be somewhat counter productive so far as street safety is concerned. You get a false sense of confidence at first which does not translate well toward well being off track. With additional track time you tend to get prospective and understanding that things track-like are best left on track.
I find this true with motorcycle riders. All of the street guys think they are good and "fast" riders. They get served a serious dose of humble pie their first time on track. Unfortunately some think that the bits they pick up in the their first few days on track make them invincible on the street, often to tragic results. I'm fairly sure that 100+ days I've done on track on a bike have made me a better rider and even the limited track (and autoX) time in a car has made me a better driver. But neither is guaranteed to bring wisdom or common sense and I'm guessing the insurance companies understand that part.

Last edited by madski; 01-05-2019 at 01:38 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:06 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by madski
I can't imagine its 30% - the math does not work (like 30k cars sold a year would leave 9k students - that's a 173 drivers per week, every week of the year at SM). It is sad that more people don't take advantage of this great program.
I did mine in 17. In my late 40's. I have some car track experience though most of it is well over a decade ago as well as some AutoX. I do a good bit of track time with motorcycles, a dozen plus days on track a year on the bike(s). I ended up as one of the 2 fastest guys on track (oddly both in M7 Z51's - great having the instructor call the group of Z06's in front of you to pull over so you can go by )
I think that initially limited track time and limited instruction may be somewhat counter productive so far as street safety is concerned. You get a false sense of confidence at first which does not translate well toward well being off track. With additional track time you tend to get prospective and understanding that things track-like are best left on track.
I find this true with motorcycle riders. All of the street guys think they are good and "fast" riders. They get served a serious dose of humble pie their first time on track. Unfortunately some think that the bits they pick up in the their first few days on track make them invincible on the street, often to tragic results. I'm fairly sure that 100+ days I've done on track on a bike have made me a better rider and even the limited track (and autoX) time in a car has made me a better driver. But neither is guaranteed to bring wisdom or common sense and I'm guessing the insurance companies understand that part.
Rick said it hovers right around the 30% range, give or take. I think GM sold a bit over 18,000 Corvettes in 2018, but it's still pretty sad more don't take the class. I did the Owner School on my new ZO6, but paid for the 3 day Level 1 on my own dime, and I'm already planning on returning for the Level 2 school. In my mind, its money well spent, and I did learn quite a lot in both Schools, and it has made me a better driver on the street, and the people who don't do the Owner School are doing themselves a real dis-service. A lot of guys do engage in street racing, which is both dangerous and stupid, so I will be doing some track events so I can drive my car the way it was intended to be driven, on a track. Do some guys develop "big *****" after the School? I'm sure some do, but the smart ones put what they learned in practice to be better and safer drivers. But, that being said, if common sense were common, everyone would have it, and you can't fix stupid.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:12 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
Another interesting aside here, I asked Chief Instructor Rick Malone the percentage of Corvette owners that actually take advantage of GM's deal for the Corvette Owner School, and he told me it hovered in the mid 30% range. That's pretty sad, considering we all spend between $50k to upwards of 100k depending on which form of Corvette we buy, you would think spending another $1,000 to actually learn what the car is capable of in a controlled track environment, my local Corvette Club has around 400 members and I only know of about 4 or 5 other than myself that have been to Spring Mountain. I guess looking at it that way, it does support the "garage queen/waxer" theory.
I would say 30% would be pretty impressive given people's other responsibilities. I would have gone but wife (only 61 at that point) had unexpected medical problem requiring surgery, so the window of opportunity for the discount passed. That also meant my C7 slipped into garage queen territory. What can you do?
Old 01-05-2019, 02:23 AM
wdwinder
Drifting

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '24

This year I moved from a '13 BRZ to '17 Z06. My rates actually went down. Very slightly, but down. Which amazed me based on the potential cost to repair in a collision. I have actually noticed that the various karting seasons (speedway and enduro shifter) and autocross, about 9 years worth, slowed me down on the streets. Bondurant school in 79 made me reckless on streets. Real track time cooled it off.
Insurers dont recognize the schools, but they should. I put daughter through So Cal SCCA Ladies only autocross way back, and Im pretty sure it has saved her life.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:32 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

I fully agree. My wife and I both took the class in 14 when I bought my 14 Stingray, I was able to add the third day to my class back then, and my wife did the two day. So I had to foot the whole bill for her class. Was worth the money. You learn so much about the capabilities of the car, and its handling. My wife and I both learned a lot, and we both enjoyed it.

I got the 18 Grand Sport in April, so I am going back to the Class Feb 5th. I called but you can no longer add the 3rd day. If you could I would have. To me, the class is money well spent, especially when its only 1K. I'm so looking forward to taking the class again. I am sure I will learn more. I know I will have a blast and it will be money well spent.

I find it unbelievable that most owners do not take advantage if this offer. To me its foolish not to use the offer.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:01 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Unfortunately, the total cost is usually a lot more than $1,000.
For most people:
Use a week of vacation time, or lose a week of income if self-employed.
Add airline tickets both ways, maybe $500. Bring your spouse along and its $1,000.
Add airport parking for you own car at home, maybe $50-150.
Add car rental in Nevada, maybe $120.
Add a hotel night in Pahrump, maybe another $120 for a nice place.
Add outside meals including airports, maybe $100 or $200 if spouse comes along.
Since you've spent that much money already on tickets, most people I know do at least one extra night in Las Vegas, sometimes no choice due to flights. Maybe $200 per night including meals.

Some people will be able to do the school for only a little more than the "tuition" cost. I did it in 2001 that way, 2018 was more "luxurious".
For most people, it's a week out of your life and more like $3,000. So I'm not surprised that most people, especially those who don't do autocross or HPDE at home, skip the school. Too bad.

Old 01-05-2019, 04:27 PM
LimeyC5
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Unfortunately, the total cost is usually a lot more than $1,000.
For most people:
Use a week of vacation time, or lose a week of income if self-employed.
Add airline tickets both ways, maybe $500. Bring your spouse along and its $1,000.
Add airport parking for you own car at home, maybe $50-150.
Add car rental in Nevada, maybe $120.
Add a hotel night in Pahrump, maybe another $120 for a nice place.
Add outside meals including airports, maybe $100 or $200 if spouse comes along.
Since you've spent that much money already on tickets, most people I know do at least one extra night in Las Vegas, sometimes no choice due to flights. Maybe $200 per night including meals.

Some people will be able to do the school for only a little more than the "tuition" cost. I did it in 2001 that way, 2018 was more "luxurious".
For most people, it's a week out of your life and more like $3,000. So I'm not surprised that most people, especially those who don't do autocross or HPDE at home, skip the school. Too bad.
Agreed. I heard a rumor a couple of years ago that Spring Mountain would also run classes at the NCM track. I called them and they laughed at the suggestion (nicely, I might add). If some other school would offer something similar there, I would sign on, as I can drive easily to western Kentucky. Nevada is not really doable for me.

PS: For information, what is the full cost now of the Spring Mountain class? (I bought my car used).
Old 01-05-2019, 05:35 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by NolanTA
If you didn't leave Spring Mountain a better driver than when you arrived, the trip was wasted on you.
OP was asking about insurance and potentially lower rates. The insurance companies do not take courses like Spring Mountain into consideration when setting rates. You may THINK you're a better driver for having been there for two whole days and going around the short track as fast as you can, but compiling such information into something statistically valid for real-world street driving would take a mountain of research and cooperation that, frankly, is not going to happen and may turn out to be invalid anyway. It's an interesting idea, though. Perhaps when Hal 9000 comes online (rather late, I'm afraid) we'll be able to find out.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:51 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Really?? Good observation there, ace. Maybe next time I'm at Spring Mountain and not washing or waxing my ZO6/ZO7 we'll see who keeps up with who, but then again mine is a manual, so you're probably too young to handle one of those. Last time there I had 3 guys in my group in their late 20's, and they couldn't hang with any of the "old" guys, so I'm thinking maybe age is only a state of mind?
Im sorry because it looks like my post offended you. Im sure there are lot of guys in their 60s and 70s who could kick my *** in driving and they probably bench, squat and deadlift more than me as well and im sure you would kick my butt in a race. That being said you cant deny the fact that the "Average" new Corvette buyer is that guy who drives it once a week and stares at it more than driving because whenever I look at used corvettes for sale I find 10 year old ones with less than 10k miles on them everywhere.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:01 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski

Wow, Sesibaba seems to have struck a nerve. Seriously, that post set you off? I hear older generations joking about “snowflakes”, but I have to wonder did he invade your “safe space”?

I’m neither 34 nor 65 (45)...and I didn’t take his observations as a slight. If you drive like a pro and screw like an 18 year old, then good for you...but Relax. You have to be aware that MOST (not all) of your generation do own garage queens and are noobs to this kind of event. I attended Spring Mountain 2017 in my early 40’s and I too found most of the gray hairs to be frustratingly slow. It’s an open class/event, so it comes with the territory and overall found it to be highly enjoyable.

Im going back to SM in late February and can’t wait. I’ve always driven manual, but got an A8 Z06 when I attended last time. This time I’m looking forward to driving a manual.
This is why I am not the member of any Corvette Club. People take this way too personally when it simply happens to be the "TRUTH". This car attracts primarily senior citizens like fleas. I have several friends in my age group who can afford my car but instead spent MORE and went with a 911 or a GT-R because they didn't like the Old man Corvette stigma. When I posted my new car on facebook my cousin posted if it came with free adult diapers, free prostate exam and a free bottle of Viagra or Cialis because corvettes come with those for free.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:05 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LimeRay
His generalization is probably more than accurate. Everything slows down with age, reflexes, golf swings, boners, etc.
At least you are willing to accept the truth. I am 34 but when I was in my 20s I could eat everything I wanted and not get fat, get drunk till 4am and be perfectly ok at work at 9am and screw 5 times in a row back to back. Cant do any of that now at 34. I am sure it will only get worse with time.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:11 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Some people spend way too much energy worrying about what other people think.

We bought our first Corvette in our late 20's and our fifth one last year. We are officially senior but don't give a hoot.
We have continued to buy Corvettes because we like the car, not what others think about it.
Our club has red hot autocrossers who qualify as "senior", and waxers/cruisers in their 30's.
If they are friendly and enjoying their car, nobody cares.
The following 3 users liked this post by Gearhead Jim:
AaronZ51 (01-07-2019), Jeffthunbird (01-05-2019), Tally Ho (01-07-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 09:49 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

I’m 55 and I’m probably average age for a C7 owner. I feel like 55 is the new 35. Older but haven’t lost a step. Yes, there are many old fellas and wax and washers who buy C7’s. To each his or her own!
That Spring Mountain expansion looks like an awesome addition to an already amazing facility. I was there in December and it was a great experience. I knew nothing about driving on a track and at the end of day 2, I was hauling ***!
I feel like I became a better driver but not to the extent where I would expect an insurance discount.
As far as age group in the class, there were many young drivers. One of the fastest drivers was an older fellow who races motorboats so don’t underestimate anybody sitting next to you. We had a nice, nice 80 year old lady who received a Stingray from her husband for her birthday. We had a couple of other women also who could bring it on the track.
If you are thinking about going (I recommend highly), and you think you are a great driver, you will be humbled quickly when you ride with an instructor. Class size is about 20. On day 2, you will be placed in a group that drives similarly to you. There will be half of the class in a fast group and the other half in the second group. Within your group, you are further split up. We had 2 very fast guys out front, 3 the next group and then 4. If you prove to be fast and safe, you won’t be held back. In the afternoon of day 2, they certainly aren’t parade laps!!
It was apparent that the GS and Z06 had little advantage over the Stingray on the track. It came down to how well you could corner. The fastest driver was in a Manual Stingray Z51.
As far as cost, the class is $2500 for the 2 day owners class and nearly $4000 for a Stingray 3 day class. It’s higher for GS and Z06.
I did the $1000 coupon special. You drive the similar car that you bought. In my case, a Stingray mn7. I spent about $3000 total as my wife and I made a vacation out of it. I used FF miles to buy the plane tickets. 2 nights at SM and 2 in Vegas. We went to 2 shows and spent way too much on food on the strip. We visited Hoover Dam which was awesome. Also Red Rock Canyon. It was all well worth it.

Last edited by Jeffthunbird; 01-05-2019 at 10:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Spring Mountain expansion/insurance factor

Old 01-05-2019, 10:14 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
I fully agree. My wife and I both took the class in 14 when I bought my 14 Stingray, I was able to add the third day to my class back then, and my wife did the two day. So I had to foot the whole bill for her class. Was worth the money. You learn so much about the capabilities of the car, and its handling. My wife and I both learned a lot, and we both enjoyed it.

I got the 18 Grand Sport in April, so I am going back to the Class Feb 5th. I called but you can no longer add the 3rd day. If you could I would have. To me, the class is money well spent, especially when its only 1K. I'm so looking forward to taking the class again. I am sure I will learn more. I know I will have a blast and it will be money well spent.

I find it unbelievable that most owners do not take advantage if this offer. To me its foolish not to use the offer.

If you've taken the school in the past, you can sign up for level 1 or level 2 school rather than retaking the "corvette owners school". They can apply the discount towards those classes. It will be more than $1000 because these classes cost more, but more time will be spent focusing on track driving, especially in the level 2 school.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:24 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by desibaba
Im sorry because it looks like my post offended you. Im sure there are lot of guys in their 60s and 70s who could kick my *** in driving and they probably bench, squat and deadlift more than me as well and im sure you would kick my butt in a race. That being said you cant deny the fact that the "Average" new Corvette buyer is that guy who drives it once a week and stares at it more than driving because whenever I look at used corvettes for sale I find 10 year old ones with less than 10k miles on them everywhere.
I wasn't necessarily offended by the post in itself, just the fact that you generalized it a bit. Your observation about "most" Corvette owners is basically correct, there are a lot of guys that just go to Club shows and lobby for votes to get a plastic trophy, as soon as they pull in, they're cleaning the car every 10 minutes or so. I hate judged shows, if I go to any it's usually a Cars and Coffee where there's a little bit of everything to look at. I probably don't drive mine as much as I'd like, but that's because even though I "retired" at a young age, I'm still pretty involved in the Specialized Transportation business and I train people in the operation of Heavy Tow Rotator trucks and equipment. Honestly, I make no pretentions of being Mario Andretti 2.0, and I really don't care to be, I just enjoy driving my ZO6 fast without risking accidents or tickets on the street, so maybe I'm quicker, maybe you are, it really doesn't matter to me. As far as the lifting stuff, I really don't try, but I've spent a lot of years doing heavy work, so you may not want to challenge me to arm wrestle or anything like that. I'm guessing maybe the reason most Corvette owners are a bit older may be the price of the car, a lot of younger guys can't afford something like a Grand Sport, much less a ZO6, but I do know a lot of guys that have $1,000/month loans on their Corvettes, but not for me. I'm a bit old school in thinking if I can't afford to pay for it, I probably don't need to have it, so mine was paid for when I took delivery. So, long story short, no offense taken, we're good.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:38 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jeffthunbird
I’m 55 and I’m probably average age for a C7 owner. I feel like 55 is the new 35. Older but haven’t lost a step. Yes, there are many old fellas and wax and washers who buy C7’s. To each his or her own!
That Spring Mountain expansion looks like an awesome addition to an already amazing facility. I was there in December and it was a great experience. I knew nothing about driving on a track and at the end of day 2, I was hauling ***!
I feel like I became a better driver but not to the extent where I would expect an insurance discount.
As far as age group in the class, there were many young drivers. One of the fastest drivers was an older fellow who races motorboats so don’t underestimate anybody sitting next to you. We had a nice, nice 80 year old lady who received a Stingray from her husband for her birthday. We had a couple of other women also who could bring it on the track.
If you are thinking about going (I recommend highly), and you think you are a great driver, you will be humbled quickly when you ride with an instructor. Class size is about 20. On day 2, you will be placed in a group that drives similarly to you. There will be half of the class in a fast group and the other half in the second group. Within your group, you are further split up. We had 2 very fast guys out front, 3 the next group and then 4. If you prove to be fast and safe, you won’t be held back. In the afternoon of day 2, they certainly aren’t parade laps!!
It was apparent that the GS and Z06 had little advantage over the Stingray on the track. It came down to how well you could corner. The fastest driver was in a Manual Stingray Z51.
As far as cost, the class is $2500 for the 2 day owners class and nearly $4000 for a Stingray 3 day class. It’s higher for GS and Z06.
I did the $1000 coupon special. You drive the similar car that you bought. In my case, a Stingray mn7. I spent about $3000 total as my wife and I made a vacation out of it. I used FF miles to buy the plane tickets. 2 nights at SM and 2 in Vegas. We went to 2 shows and spent way too much on food on the strip. We visited Hoover Dam which was awesome. Also Red Rock Canyon. It was all well worth it.

Same for me. I took my wife both times, did 2 days in Vegas before, and 3 days after, 2 days in condo for the Owner School (Manual ZO6), 3 days in the condo for the 3 day Level 1 with 1 day in Vegas before and 3 after the class. I plan on going back soon for the Level 2 class, but haven't made any arrangements yet. Spring Mountain is an incredible facility and with the expansion, it will only get better, and I think anyone who has been there will agree that Rick and his staff are second to none in their instruction, all you need to do is listen and apply what you've learned on the track. One observation I had after driving all 3 versions, the Z51 is very capable, better than the C6 GS and about equal to the C6 ZO6, and the C7 GS is a step above that, with the C7 ZO6 a couple steps above the GS. It's easier to go fast in the GS, but you can go a lot quicker in the ZO6, it just takes more effort and concentration, that extra 200HP gets you to that next turn pretty fast.

Quick Reply: Spring Mountain expansion/insurance factor