Sponsored by:

Thoughts on this Dexos 2 oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 10:55 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by MrHix
So what? Mobil 1 ESP 0w-40 is not available locally around me. Why do you feel the need to jump all over people who decide to use a different path? Obviously I "am not looking" for the right oil and I must "think I saving $$$."

I thought this was supposed to be a good place to get information . . . . .

MrHix
Really. Not available? Is there not a Corvette dealer nearby? Well if that's true, most any Chevy parts department in the country will ship it to you. If you don't want to buy from a Chevy dealer then how about these boys:

https://www.thelubricantstore.com/mo...-case-6-quarts

they're just down the street from you. There are others on the Internet too. So the oil is widely available. Now if it's a matter of you not wanting to pay the cost of purchasing this oil...well that's another matter. All I would have to say is why? Are you really saving anything going with Brand X? If you're not tracking the vehicle you're changing the oil every 8-12 months. The dollars you think you are saving is only enough coin to purchase what...an extra tank of gasoline? Just don't understand your logic. You buy a car that cost 50K ++ and the cost of a tank of gas is an issue?
Old 01-04-2019, 11:02 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Originally Posted by itch808
Mobil 1 0W-40 seems like unobtanium for a lot of people or is pricey, what are motor oil gurus' thoughts on this alternative:

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...tic-motor-oil/

Amsoil has both a 5W-30 and 5W-40 that are dexos 2 approved. Amsoil tends to be pricier than most typically brands. But at the cost of Mobil 1 0W-40 dexos 2, it seems like a reasonable alternative that is easier to source.
Wrong, Amsoil has NO Dexos 2 or Dexos 1 approved oils whatsoever. Amsoil claims their oil "is engineered for use in gasoline or diesel vehicles that require any of the following specifications:

• GM dexos 2™
...".

But that is not the same as being Dexos approved. Check the official list of Dexos 2 approved oils here: https://www.gmdexos.com/owner/brands/dexos2/index.html (Dexos 1 here: https://www.gmdexos.com/owner/brands/dexos1/index.html)

Also note that their bottles do not have the Dexos 2 logo.
The following users liked this post:
MMD (01-04-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 03:31 AM
itch808
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
Another thing people never consider is the OLM algorithm GM uses in the car is based on using oil properties of their recommended oil. If you are using an off brand oil then all bets are off. The OLM reading will be bogus for other oils. So then, how do you really know when to change the oil? What...every 3,000 miles?...but are you sure? The LT1/LT4/5 engines are high-performance engines that demand a lot from the oil. How do you know the oil you use is up to snuff?
Drink the Koolaid much?

There are a lot of high performance engines that don't have an oil life monitor, they seem to do just fine. The OLM is not the end all of oil changing statistics.

And to the guy who posts aalink to Walmart, yes I know about the 0W-40 non dexos2 oil. I use that in my other German car. It's not what everyone here is looking for.

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Wrong, Amsoil has NO Dexos 2 or Dexos 1 approved oils whatsoever. Amsoil claims their oil "is engineered for use in gasoline or diesel vehicles that require any of the following specifications:

• GM dexos 2™
...".

But that is not the same as being Dexos approved. Check the official list of Dexos 2 approved oils here: https://www.gmdexos.com/owner/brands/dexos2/index.html (Dexos 1 here: https://www.gmdexos.com/owner/brands/dexos1/index.html)

Also note that their bottles do not have the Dexos 2 logo.
Something useful, thanks
Old 01-05-2019, 08:15 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Drink the Koolaid much?

There are a lot of high performance engines that don't have an oil life monitor, they seem to do just fine. The OLM is not the end all of oil changing statistics.
Has to be one of the most meaningless statements I have read yet on the CF to date. Will do just "fine". SMH. This is just another reason why I never purchase used cars. Guys who maintain their vehicle like this guy. You don't know what you're getting.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:56 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Default GM's Oil Life Monitor and Why You Should Rely On It

I found this info on a GM website regard their Oil Life Monitor (OLM) and the reasons why you should be using this on your Corvette. Using the age old standard of changing your oil, every 3,000 miles, is for dinosaurs. Take the time to learn something today aout your vehicle so you can better maintain it and just maybe save yourself money.

--------------------------
GM OIL LIFE SYSTEM...HOW DOES IT REALLY WORK ?

(From the May 2003 GM Techlink publication)

How often should engine oil be changed? 3,000 miles, 5,000 miles, 7,500 miles, 10,000 miles? Actually, all of these are correct, depending on operating conditions. Oil life is affected by many factors other than just miles driven. The type of driving, temperature, and engine load all play a part.

That's why GM has developed the GM Oil Life System, an electronic watchdog that keeps track of all these variables and notifies the driver when it's time to change oil. This system has become standard equipment on nearly all GM products since 2000.

Briefly, the Oil Life System is programmed with a certain number of engine revolutions. As the engine runs, this number is reduced until it reaches zero, and the Oil Life light or message comes on. But there's more. Operating the engine under low or high temperatures, and under high load conditions subtracts (penalizes) extra revolutions, so the light comes on sooner. Changing engine oil according to actual need rather than an inflexible schedule provides several benefits. First is simplified determination about when to change oil. No more decisions about normal conditions vs. severe conditions. Second are reduced operating costs for GM's customers, who now have to change oil only when it's needed. Third is minimizing the amount of used oil that must be disposed of. And fourth, engines will always be running with sufficiently fresh oil, for long life.

Traditionally, the vehicle maintenance schedule has been based on miles or time, while the oil change interval is now based on the GM Oil Life System.

When the change engine oil light or message comes on, it means that service is required on the vehicle. It should be serviced as soon as possible within the next 600 miles. It is possible that, under the best conditions, the engine oil life system may not indicate that vehicle service is necessary for over a year. However, engine oil and filter must be changed at least once per year, and at this time the system must be reset.

----------------------
Here is a link to a very useful PDF FAQ file that has more details about GM's OLM and why you should be using this tool.

https://assets.cobaltnitra.com/teams...145efa6b30.pdf

Last edited by MMD; 01-05-2019 at 09:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gmarcucio (01-06-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 04:21 PM
itch808
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

Has to be one of the most meaningless statements I have read yet on the CF to date. Will do just "fine". SMH. This is just another reason why I never purchase used cars. Guys who maintain their vehicle like this guy. You don't know what you're getting.

I prefer to change my oil earlier than OLM. I base my oil changes on miles, time, type of driving, and oil analysis (Blackstone labs). But I guess an oil analysis is just voodoo. You can stay on your high horse, have fun. I pity all the Porsche, BMW, Audi, etc. cars that don't have a fancy OLM.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:34 PM
MMD
Safety Car

I prefer to change my oil earlier than OLM. I base my oil changes on miles, time, type of driving, and oil analysis (Blackstone labs). But I guess an oil analysis is just voodoo. You can stay on your high horse, have fun. I pity all the Porsche, BMW, Audi, etc. cars that don't have a fancy OLM.
As the saying goes, ignorance is bliss. If you had read the PDF attachment provded you would have learned something. GM's lubrication engineers, who have developed the system and OLM software, know more about GM engine wear and their own engine oil requirements than does Blackstone. Back in the day people refused to get off their horse and buggies and drive an automobile. Same mindset I guess, just 100 years later and with the same attitudes.

Last edited by MMD; 01-05-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:44 PM
Torque Obsessed
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by MrHix
I decided to use the Dexos 1 option 5w-30 Mobil 1 (regular) in my 2019 GS. It is about $26 for 5 quarts. "For the LT1 and LT4 engines only, if 0W-40 dexos2 oil is not available, SAE 5W-30 dexos1 full synthetic engine oil may be used for street use."

Cheers,

MrHix
Does anyone know why the 0W-40 is Dexos 2 but the 5W-30 is Dexos 1? What's the difference between Dexos 1 and 2?
Old 01-05-2019, 05:20 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
brain fart....
Let he who has never brain farted cast the first stone.

I personally think the engine should last a minimum of 200K if you're not tracking.
Reader warning: My 2¢ follows

In the past I've run cars with similar production tolerances that long using 15w40 and 20w50 synthetic oil, so I doubt if a viscosity difference of five in this case will make any significant difference. I've also never had a problem with a cat in any car I've ever owned. I don't put nearly the miles on cars that I used to and will never get even 100k on my current C7, or for that matter even my other vehicle that I put more miles on.

Many people think that using a certain brand of oil will transform their cars into wear-free marvels that will last forever, but after making an effort to understand lubrication over the decades I think these claims are largely lacking in evidence despite efforts of manufacturers to demonstrate it to us. I'll agree that most wear in an internal combustion engine is achieved during cold starts, but I just don't think the difference will realize any difference to most of us. When I had my last free oil change a month ago they used 5w30, probably because that's what is recommended for that car in street use, and I didn't ask for a substitution. Regardless, I doubt if they would've approved 0w40 had I requested it. I believe most of the decision to change to 0w40 was based on having an oil that could be used for street and track, and I think it's safe to say that most of us don't track our cars. Just because it is likely the best single oil to use in that dual-purpose situation doesn't mean it is necessarily best for street or track only.

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
Personally, I don't understand why anyone would not use the oil specified by the manufacturer just to save $60. Besides the benefits MMD lists above, by not using GM's specified oil you are just giving them an excuse not to honor your warranty if you were to have an engine problem.
The spec for my 2017 GS is 5w30 Dexos1 for street, 15w50 for track. That said, would GM honor my warranty for using 0w40? As long as it's Dexos rated I have no doubt they would. If I had a 2019 I would use 0w40, but if I used 5w30 I think I'd be safe as long as the car was not tracked. Using an oil that is not Dexos rated is quite another matter.

Last edited by iclick; 01-05-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:11 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,709 Likes on 5,596 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
The spec for my 2017 GS is 5w30 Dexos1 for street, 15w50 for track. That said, would GM honor my warranty for using 0w40? As long as it's Dexos rated I have no doubt they would. If I had a 2019 I would use 0w40, but if I used 5w30 I think I'd be safe as long as the car was not tracked. Using an oil that is not Dexos rated is quite another matter.
Yes they would honor as GM bulletin #18-NA-129 states on pg 2 that though the dexos2 0w-40 was released for 2019 model C7s it can be used in 2014>2019 C7s. However using the 5w-30 in a 2019 "could result" in an excuse to deny as the dexos2 0w-40 is the recommend oil.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
GM Oil Bulletin 18-NA-129.pdf (775.1 KB, 149 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
fdxpilot (01-05-2019), gmarcucio (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 07:30 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by Torque Obsessed
Does anyone know why the 0W-40 is Dexos 2 but the 5W-30 is Dexos 1? What's the difference between Dexos 1 and 2?
dexos2 was originally the specification for diesel oils while dexos1 was for gasoline engines, but in the past few years dexos2 has started being specified for gasoline engines too. The good thing about the dexos2 oils are that they have a higher HTHS number (high temperature high shear) which basically means the viscosity of the oil stays thicker at higher oil temps for better protection. A dexos2 oil must have an HTHS of at least 3.5, while dexos1 oils are typically closer to 3.0 to 3.1. dexos2 oils are also low SAPS oils (lower sulfated ash, phosphorus and sulfur) so they'll keep the engine and the emissions systems cleaner than a dexos1 oil in the long run.

The problem with Amsoil is that they like to try and fool people into thinking their oils are dexos1 or dexos2 certified, with tricky wording on their website, but if you don't see the dexos logo on the bottle of oil, then it hasn't got the certification. A lot of people confuse dexos1 generation 2 as being dexos2 certified oils too. The quick way to know which oil has which certification is by the color of the dexos logo itself. If it's dexos1 the logo will be in green (and the little 2 you see in it is generation 2) If it's dexos2 certified it'll have a blue logo. It's really as simple as that, no logo, no certification.
The following 3 users liked this post by Patman:
cowboy casey (01-06-2019), GM'er (01-07-2019), gmarcucio (01-06-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 10:07 AM
Slick6
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

" Really. Not available? Is there not a Corvette dealer nearby? Well if that's true, most any Chevy parts department in the country will ship it to you."

Yes, really. When I took my '19 Base Coupe in for it's first oil change, the Chevy/Cadillac dealer in my hometown did not have the 0W-40, so they put 5W-30 in it. Just because you can get it doesn't mean that it's available everywhere else...
Old 01-06-2019, 12:01 PM
PureJoy
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

OMG!!!
My brain hurts!!
Whatever my Chevy dealer puts in my 1998 C5 is good with me at $65 for oil & filter change!

Unsubscribed............................ .....
Old 01-06-2019, 01:57 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Slick6
" Really. Not available? Is there not a Corvette dealer nearby? Well if that's true, most any Chevy parts department in the country will ship it to you."

Yes, really. When I took my '19 Base Coupe in for it's first oil change, the Chevy/Cadillac dealer in my hometown did not have the 0W-40, so they put 5W-30 in it. Just because you can get it doesn't mean that it's available everywhere else...
Well, did you call bother to call your dealer in advance of your service appointment to see if they had the proper oil in stock first? You could of had the oil shipped to you from another dealer you know. Would that be that too difficult to do? If you don't have a Chevy dealer that you know of, let me know and I'll provide you with 6 contacts who can supply the oil to you. Also, if you read my posted thread there was a link from a retailer that has that oil in stock. There are many more retailers that also have the specific oil for you car. It's not hard to find it online. All it takes is a little effort on your part. Apparently, you prefer to rant.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:33 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Well you can use cheaper oil and change it every 3 months or do like I do use Mobil 1 and change your oil every 6 months no matter what the oil index says unless you take a long trip 3000 miles or then the index will tell you or ONSTAR report !!! In fact I use Mobil 1 in all my cars especially if they are out of doors because it is easier starting and the car warms up faster !!!! Wayne
Old 01-06-2019, 03:50 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Old 01-06-2019, 05:12 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Dexos 0-40 has less zink (anti wear) then the standard 0-40. Dexos is an emissions factor not a longevity issue.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on this Dexos 2 oil?

Old 01-06-2019, 05:29 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
Dexos 0-40 has less zink (anti wear) then the standard 0-40. Dexos is an emissions factor not a longevity issue.
Zinc has been reduced because it degrades catalytic converters. According to Mobil 1's web site, they engineered the ESP oil formulation to help prolong the life and maintain the efficiency of emission systems by lowering Zinc, Sulphur, and Phosphorous. They added anti-wear additives to counter the reduction of Zinc and the benfit it provided.

Last edited by MMD; 01-06-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:07 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

Well, did you call bother to call your dealer in advance of your service appointment to see if they had the proper oil in stock first? You could of had the oil shipped to you from another dealer you know. Would that be that too difficult to do? If you don't have a Chevy dealer that you know of, let me know and I'll provide you with 6 contacts who can supply the oil to you. Also, if you read my posted thread there was a link from a retailer that has that oil in stock. There are many more retailers that also have the specific oil for you car. It's not hard to find it online. All it takes is a little effort on your part. Apparently, you prefer to rant.
You would think a Chevy dealer would have the right products to service a Corvette. As an owner I should not have to check on them. But apparently dealers are not competent to do their jobs
Old 01-06-2019, 06:23 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ulrich
Once again, not true. Oils with the dexos certifications will keep your engine cleaner, which in turn gives it longer life. And just because an oil uses less zinc and phosphorus doesn't mean it'll cause your engine to wear out sooner, because there are many other anti wear additives that oil companies can blend in to take their place. Most oils sold today have considerably less phosphorus and zinc than oils made 20 years ago, but yet engines are lasting just as long if not longer.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on this Dexos 2 oil?