Sponsored by:

Be wary of Rev Match and Insurance monitors

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 10:54 AM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by golden2husky
After getting a $4,000/year insurance bill from Geico to insure three cars, I gave Liberty Mutual a try. Slightly better coverage for $1,800/year. Being greedy I then opted into the 3-month monitoring devices for two of the cars (the third one is older than OBDII). I figured the Vette was in its winter slumber and my wife does not drive much. I have a car provided by work so 98% of my driving was in that. I figured I would easily get close to the 30% discount. So one day I took the Vette out for some exercise. I drove very carefully to keep the monitor happy but did use Rev Match a number of times. When I checked my computer for the driving record, I had a bunch of "excessive acceleration" events recorded. It seems the device records all quick throttle inputs regardless of the fact that the computer made them. A call to Liberty did nothing to remove the "events" other than the advice to not use rev match.

Just a heads up for the Vette community. And think twice about the monitoring program. Leaving the privacy issues aside, the system is extremely sensitive. What we would all consider normal braking is often logged as excessive. If you had to commute in traffic, your discount would disappear in a week.
thanks for posting.

just more fodder against getting a monitor.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:18 AM
Stealthy4
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Switched to progressive in Jan 2018. Pay my premium in 6 month increments. Jan 2018 payment was 1158 for two cars. Six months later i have to renew my policy and they want exactly 10% more. So i figure its just because i have different cars than i did 6 months ago (i get corporate leases that change out every 3-5 months)...didnt think anything of the extra 115 bucks. Now comes Jan 2018 and they jacked the rate another 10% exactly. Yea...i called them and talked to 2 people, both which couldnt lower my rate. So while im on the phone cancelling my policy, i'm on their website starting a new policy. Thats right, im cancelling my progressive policy and starting a new one with progressive at the exact same time. The new policy went into effect before i even cancelled the previous policy. New policy cost? $1058 as compared to the 1400 they wanted. I literally explained this to the lady i'm on the phone with and she says "that's not right" as i'm literally printing off my new proof of insurance cards...literally the exact same coverage, same cars...hell, they even automatically pulled over the same coverages as my previous policy with them! The lady tried to explain its a cost of living increase..yea 10% and 10% compounding. BS. Insurance is a racket...

Last edited by Stealthy4; 01-13-2019 at 11:22 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stealthy4:
joemessman (01-13-2019), V Vette (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 11:32 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealthy4
Switched to progressive in Jan 2018. Pay my premium in 6 month increments. Jan 2018 payment was 1158 for two cars. Six months later i have to renew my policy and they want exactly 10% more. So i figure its just because i have different cars than i did 6 months ago (i get corporate leases that change out every 3-5 months)...didnt think anything of the extra 115 bucks. Now comes Jan 2018 and they jacked the rate another 10% exactly. Yea...i called them and talked to 2 people, both which couldnt lower my rate. So while im on the phone cancelling my policy, i'm on their website starting a new policy. Thats right, im cancelling my progressive policy and starting a new one with progressive at the exact same time. The new policy went into effect before i even cancelled the previous policy. New policy cost? $1058 as compared to the 1400 they wanted. I literally explained this to the lady i'm on the phone with and she says "that's not right" as i'm literally printing off my new proof of insurance cards...literally the exact same coverage, same cars...hell, they even automatically pulled over the same coverages as my previous policy with them! The lady tried to explain its a cost of living increase..yea 10% and 10% compounding. BS. Insurance is a racket...
You are so right...... Ive said this many times, Insurance and Pharmaceutical companies are destroying this country and NO one is stopping them!!!!!
Old 01-13-2019, 11:32 AM
SuperdadZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 246 Posts

Excuse me for venting but in this screwed up intrusive world we live in with Google, Apple and other tech companies constantly mining data and having to protect from scammers 24/7 I am almost ready to jump off the grid as it is. The last thing I am going to do is allow my insurance company to monitor my driving habits in my Z06!!
Old 01-13-2019, 12:07 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

The corvette isn't a family sedan.I do notice many corvette owners baby it.My insurance company would revoke my policy.
I drive the thing.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:22 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Add $2,000.00+ to what you're paying now..... You'd be 1st in line there. Read the posts.
Not everyone is a tightwad willing to sell their privacy to the highest bidder. Your assumption is incorrect.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:51 PM
trumanjd1
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by kenownr
i'M ALREADY A BIT PARANOID; If you think they are not watching you - THEY ARE!!
No way I'd intentionally give access to an insurance company too monitor my driving no matter the savings. As said above, I don't like the semi-hidden recorder that's already in the car. In my opinion allowing a plug-in to the OB port is a sure way to say "yes I'm guilty" in case you do make a mistake and have an accident. Mistakes happen!! Don't jump right out and say "yes I did it". JMO
I wonder if anyone ever was successful locating and disabling the manufacturers' 'black box"?
Interesting though..I dont remember signing off my rights ....for invasion of privacy by the black box monitoring my driving habits!
Old 01-13-2019, 03:58 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,408 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by trumanjd1
I wonder if anyone ever was successful locating and disabling the manufacturers' 'black box"?
Interesting though..I dont remember signing off my rights ....for invasion of privacy by the black box monitoring my driving habits!
The as you guys call it “Black Box” is also known as the Airbag Control Module. We use it in crash reconstruction and accident analysis. How it works may suppress your paranoia. It is recording data in a 20-30 second loop. Currently there is no standard to wHat is being record but there is a minimum of what they record which is Speed, Steering Angle and Brake Pressure. Some manufacturers record more data than that but they don’t have to. Bosch makes what seems to be the most sophisticated ACM’s which record extra data.
Anyway they are recoding as mentioned above in a 20-30 second loop then of course writing over itself as it goes on. The recording stops once an airbag deploys. With that we have the above mentioned data for 20-30 seconds before and up to the accident. 20 seconds is long before anyone has an idea they will be in an accident so we learn a ton from the data pertaining to that accident but certainly nothing about a persons long term driving habits.

Last edited by Glennm27; 01-13-2019 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 04:59 PM
Glenn Kline
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by golden2husky
After getting a $4,000/year insurance bill from Geico to insure three cars, I gave Liberty Mutual a try. Slightly better coverage for $1,800/year. Being greedy I then opted into the 3-month monitoring devices for two of the cars (the third one is older than OBDII). I figured the Vette was in its winter slumber and my wife does not drive much. I have a car provided by work so 98% of my driving was in that. I figured I would easily get close to the 30% discount. So one day I took the Vette out for some exercise. I drove very carefully to keep the monitor happy but did use Rev Match a number of times. When I checked my computer for the driving record, I had a bunch of "excessive acceleration" events recorded. It seems the device records all quick throttle inputs regardless of the fact that the computer made them. A call to Liberty did nothing to remove the "events" other than the advice to not use rev match.

Just a heads up for the Vette community. And think twice about the monitoring program. Leaving the privacy issues aside, the system is extremely sensitive. What we would all consider normal braking is often logged as excessive. If you had to commute in traffic, your discount would disappear in a week.
That is just crazy. If you don't have rev match on, you still need to manually blip the throttle to rev match or you are putting unnecessary wear on the drivetrain plus it can be dangerous since it could cause wheel hop and reduced grip in the rear.

It would be interesting to use the PDR 100% of the time then pull it into the Cosworth toolbox to see exactly what the thresholds are for an "event."

I always thought it might be funny to get one of those devices and use it during a track session. Not from your primary insurer of course for obvious reasons.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:08 PM
trumanjd1
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Glennm27

The as you guys call it “Black Box” is also known as the Airbag Control Module. We use it in crash reconstruction and accident analysis. How it works may suppress your paranoia. It is recording data in a 20-30 second loop. Currently there is no standard to wHat is being record but there is a minimum of what they record which is Speed, Steering Angle and Brake Pressure. Some manufacturers record more data than that but they don’t have to. Bosch makes what seems to be the most sophisticated ACM’s which record extra data.
Anyway they are recoding as mentioned above in a 20-30 second loop then of course writing over itself as it goes on. The recording stops once an airbag deploys. With that we have the above mentioned data for 20-30 seconds before and up to the accident. 20 seconds is long before anyone has an idea they will be in an accident so we learn a ton from the data pertaining to that accident but certainly nothing about a persons long term driving habits.
Thanks for the explanation...having little or no knowledge of the operation of this recorder...seems to be less invasive than I thought.
Old 01-13-2019, 05:17 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,408 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Blipping the throttle can’t have anything to do with an “Acceleration” event in Liberty Mutual’s Right Track data collection. Right Track uses the accelerometer in your mobile phone. Liberty Mutual’s Right Track system does NOT connect to your car. It is not connected to your OBDII port. It is Bluetooth connected to your phone. So, if your phone happens to be loose in your car it could cause unwanted events. If it’s banging around in a cup holder for instance, that could cause a “hard braking” event or an “acceration” event.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:16 AM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

My wife asked whether we should install one of these monitors to try to qualify for a discount. No way in hell that's ever going to happen. Beyond the fact that I don't like the intrusion, I had to remind her how she drives. She's a speed demon!
Old 01-14-2019, 10:32 AM
Matthewstorm
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Yeah, this is crazy. Like, I just need to put on the gas for this to happen.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:41 AM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 661 Likes on 318 Posts

I am sure if I had one it would report about the same as that ^^^
Old 01-14-2019, 01:38 PM
USCG
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Do some research

Before you get sucked in on the fantasy of a big (15 - 40% ??) insurance discount, check with the actual insurance company. If you do drive less than 30 mph for the entire 3 months, coast to a stop at every red light, and park the car before 5pm, you MAY pass their test and be eligible for the discount. Then you will discover that the discount does NOT apply to your entire insurance bill, only a very small portion. ...a very small portion.
The following users liked this post:
GS60th#47 (01-15-2019)

Quick Reply: Be wary of Rev Match and Insurance monitors