C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stone Chips-Who Cares?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 06:39 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by MMD

You just don't have the facts to back up your claims. Read fine print.
Claims? What claim did I make?
Old 01-12-2019, 06:56 PM
AZ99FRC
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Surprised no one has addressed the OP's last question about how stone chips do or do not effect the value of your vette. In my experience of many years of buying and selling corvettes, I've never had stone chips even brought up, let alone be a negotiating item. And I wouldn't pay a dime extra for one that was covered in a PPF. If you want your car to remain perfect, never take it out of the garage!
The following users liked this post:
4thC4at60 (01-13-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 07:01 PM
AZ99FRC
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by PureJoy
Doesn't it all depend on what type of oil you use???

PS, why is a guy called C5 asking questions on a C7 forum??
Cause some of us have been around here a bit longer that a couple of months.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:06 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Deepdiver
Sorry brah, if you the guy to care enough to spend $$ protecting your paint, you're not gonna forget about the warranty or lose the receipt lol. And I wouldn't expect them to replace the material for the whole car, only the defective pieces.
My XPEL installer will cover costs 100%. I'm completely satisfied. You sound bitter....probably because you walk into the garage and see a bunch of rock chips
ok, you can think however you wish. Once you read the fine print you will realize that your local installer does not have final say in the matter unless they have their own separate warranty that they will cover your PPF. Hopefully you will have that in writing. Your installer will not be reimbursed by Xpel unless Xpel approves the warranty repair. Spend time reading through Xpel's website. Don't make assumptions about anything. Sorry if you are disappointed but 'dems da facts. The warranty will not cover full material replacement unless it is called for and determined by Xpel's adjusters. A few paint chips here and there on my vehicle is not going to concern me. And no, I have no paint chips on my car yet. If it bothered me I would get the panel painted and save $$$ doing this. There have been many owners on this forum who understand this issue and have come to the same realization it is less expensive not putting up a PPF and just respraying a panel. Do your own search for their posts. I couldn't care less what you do with your vehicle. Just be aware of what the facts are, not your assumptions, or you may be in for a disappointment down the road.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:10 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AZ99FRC
Surprised no one has addressed the OP's last question about how stone chips do or do not effect the value of your vette. In my experience of many years of buying and selling corvettes, I've never had stone chips even brought up, let alone be a negotiating item. And I wouldn't pay a dime extra for one that was covered in a PPF. If you want your car to remain perfect, never take it out of the garage!
Actually, when I sold my '14 Z51 last August, the buyer told me he was looking at others but liked mine because of the clear bra and resultant condition of the paint. He also said that as I went to the trouble and expense to protect my car, it was probably "better maintained" than others he looked at

Anecdotal I know but......
Old 01-12-2019, 07:23 PM
Que Rich
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 55 Posts

I’m getting XPEL in two weeks. For me it’s just peace of mind, so the cost it worth it to me. Doing the full front and rockers. I’m not doing it to add value but doing it because I want to prevent the chips for me
The following users liked this post:
MMD (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 08:14 PM
Deepdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 430 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

ok, you can think however you wish. Once you read the fine print you will realize that your local installer does not have final say in the matter unless they have their own separate warranty that they will cover your PPF. Hopefully you will have that in writing. Your installer will not be reimbursed by Xpel unless Xpel approves the warranty repair. Spend time reading through Xpel's website. Don't make assumptions about anything. Sorry if you are disappointed but 'dems da facts. The warranty will not cover full material replacement unless it is called for and determined by Xpel's adjusters. A few paint chips here and there on my vehicle is not going to concern me. And no, I have no paint chips on my car yet. If it bothered me I would get the panel painted and save $$$ doing this. There have been many owners on this forum who understand this issue and have come to the same realization it is less expensive not putting up a PPF and just respraying a panel. Do your own search for their posts. I couldn't care less what you do with your vehicle. Just be aware of what the facts are, not your assumptions, or you may be in for a disappointment down the road.
Yup, got it all in writing bud. enjoy your rock chips. Enjoy making sure your body shop matches your paint 100%. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:15 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Yup, got it all in writing bud. enjoy your rock chips. Enjoy making sure your body shop matches your paint 100%. Good luck.
Ohhhhhh nooooooo. I am going to lose sleep tonight thinking about getting a rock chip and not matching the paint color.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:32 PM
Deepdiver
Burning Brakes

^ That's too bad bruh! Check out PPF, it might help you sleep better.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:01 PM
MMD
Safety Car

^ That's too bad bruh! Check out PPF, it might help you sleep better.

Spending $4,000 on a new set of forged wheels is a better choice than purchasing a vehicular plastic prophylactic. I'll take a sleeping pill instead should a paint chip ever keep me awake thank you.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:15 PM
Deepdiver
Burning Brakes

^ Sorry bruh, it doesn't run $4K to protect all your common impact areas. Dems da facts
Old 01-12-2019, 10:54 PM
MMD
Safety Car

^ Sorry bruh, it doesn't run $4K to protect all your common impact areas. Dems da facts
There you go again making assumptions. Who said anything about common impact areas? Also labor rates vary widely throught the country so a full PPF could easily cost 4K or more. Remember...no more assumptions. You get yourself in trouble when you do.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:33 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

There you go again making assumptions. Who said anything about common impact areas? Also labor rates vary widely throught the country so a full PPF could easily cost 4K or more. Remember...no more assumptions. You get yourself in trouble when you do.
Are you familiar with the expression "pissing up a rope"? You are up against two mouthpieces for Xpel. Nothing you say, no matter how accurate, factual or rational, counts at all - to them. Their minds are set in cement. They can't even read when you point them to the text!

Given the off-topic political nature of Ken's sig, he is strongly aligned with a blowhard who has issues with facts. So you lost before you began.

Tell them how nice the yellow film looks on their vette and move on.

Some buy cars to drive, some buy them to put in a time capsule. To each...
Old 01-13-2019, 08:52 AM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

I got a price for my 19 Suntek. $4600.00. I have at least 2 more months to decide before the beast comes out of hibernation. Lol.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:59 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by C5_
Do you obsess over stone chips? Do you accept them as a price to pay for the privilege of owning a vette? Do you take reasonable precautions to avoid stone chips? How much do or did stone chips decrease the value of your vette?
If you live in the Northeast and don't want your wide body Vet sand blasted then yes ,I believe in protection. I think when you private party your Corvette for sale then the investment is worth it.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:54 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Got the car out yesterday for a nice sunny drive. A truck from a distance away got me with a rock just as I got in the right lane for my exit. Just a bit of bad luck. Hopefully they aren’t to hard to replace.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:12 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Renfield
Are you familiar with the expression "pissing up a rope"? You are up against two mouthpieces for Xpel. Nothing you say, no matter how accurate, factual or rational, counts at all - to them. Their minds are set in cement. They can't even read when you point them to the text!

Given the off-topic political nature of Ken's sig, he is strongly aligned with a blowhard who has issues with facts. So you lost before you began.

Tell them how nice the yellow film looks on their vette and move on.

Some buy cars to drive, some buy them to put in a time capsule. To each...
So what. I couldn't care less. I am not trying to convince them they are wrong. They already know that. I am just testing the thickness of their skull. It's fun to do.

Last edited by MMD; 01-13-2019 at 10:47 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Stone Chips-Who Cares?

Old 01-13-2019, 10:14 AM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by saleen556

Got the car out yesterday for a nice sunny drive. A truck from a distance away got me with a rock just as I got in the right lane for my exit. Just a bit of bad luck. Hopefully they aren’t to hard to replace.
I feel your pain I've been there. Hope it works out well for ya.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:33 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

I feel your pain I've been there. Hope it works out well for ya.
Thanks. I had one replaced in my previous BMW without an issue. Hopefully this goes as smooth.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:36 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Originally Posted by saleen556

Thanks. I had one replaced in my previous BMW without an issue. Hopefully this goes as smooth.
I've had windshields replaced on a C5, C6 and C7 by SafeLite. They do fine work (they won't do a 'vette in your driveway as they will most other cars - they require you take it to them. That's part of what convinced me to give them a try in the first place).

Just demand OEM parts

Last edited by KenHorse; 01-13-2019 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Stone Chips-Who Cares?