Sponsored by:

Is Range effecting my car ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 08:54 PM
Nghia Vu
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is Range effecting my car ?

Well, the device been good to me. But until today i got this in my email.
Is it will void my warranty ? I still need my dealer to plush my car. I got the shudder issue and the dealer told me that their flush machine is down and they have to wait for GM to send them new one. I been wait for that almost 2 month and i decide to call them last week to see what going on. And they told me still waiting, so i ask if they can contact the other dealership to get it fix while they machine is down. They told me the other dealership not gonna have it. And i was like WTF ??? really.
Anyway I got this report every month to my email and i don't know how they can track it.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:18 PM
90eclipsegsx
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nghia Vu
Well, the device been good to me. But until today i got this in my email.
Is it will void my warranty ? I still need my dealer to plush my car. I got the shudder issue and the dealer told me that their flush machine is down and they have to wait for GM to send them new one. I been wait for that almost 2 month and i decide to call them last week to see what going on. And they told me still waiting, so i ask if they can contact the other dealership to get it fix while they machine is down. They told me the other dealership not gonna have it. And i was like WTF ??? really.
Anyway I got this report every month to my email and i don't know how they can track it.
Obviously the range is going to effect the car or else it would not work. As far as I know the device itself leaves no trace once unplugged. If you were to take your car in for warranty service you should be fine as long as you have unplugged your range module before taking it in.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:21 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,148 Likes on 2,248 Posts

This does NOT look anything like an email from OnStar/GM. To your point, will void you warranty? NO...NO...No, unless you walk into your dealer and say...I plugged an aftermarket device into my OBD port.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:55 PM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

The older Range versions did this. The current version allows OnStar to collect data from your car.
The following users liked this post:
Vegas1500 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:57 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

I used the Valentine Savvy unit plugged into our OBD port for a month or two on our 2017, to power the detector and provide low speed muting, nothing more. It worked well for those tasks.

But I received a message from OnStar similar to OP, saying basically that OnStar couldn't get information from our car. And I also noticed that our Tire Temperature said Warm even when the overnight temperature was about 25'.

So unplugged the Savvy unit and have avoided plugging anything else into our OBD port.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 01-11-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:11 PM
Nghia Vu
Advanced

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
The older Range versions did this. The current version allows OnStar to collect data from your car.
I bought it from a member and he told me this is the latest version
Old 01-11-2019, 10:15 PM
Nghia Vu
Advanced

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
This does NOT look anything like an email from OnStar/GM. To your point, will void you warranty? NO...NO...No, unless you walk into your dealer and say...I plugged an aftermarket device into my OBD port.
I agree with you.
But it is from Onstar. Because they tell the exact miles, tires pressure, oil life in that email.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:18 PM
Nghia Vu
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I used the Valentine Savvy unit plugged into our OBD port for a month or two on our 2017, to power the detector and provide low speed muting, nothing more. It worked well for those tasks.

But I received a message from OnStar similar to OP, saying basically that OnStar couldn't get information from our car. And I also noticed that our Tire Temperature said Warm even when the overnight temperature was about 25'.

So unplugged the Savvy unit and have avoided plugging anything else into our OBD port.
I don't really trust the tire temperature. I just drive for a bit to make sure my tires is warm. There is no way it warm while you leave it overnight with 25 degree.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:25 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

I would not worry about this. The message say there "may" be an aftermarket device present. It does not say there is one. Just make sure if you ever bring it in for service disconnect the Range device while the vehicle is still under warranty. If any one ever asks you about a message like this just tell them you live near Electric High-Tension lines that cause interference with the Onstar system connecting and reading your vehicle.
Vegas1500 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 12:57 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Even though they said it is the current version, check it. When you power it up it flashes LEDs that you need to count and it will tell you the version number. They have the info on their website that explains this.

I never have issues with getting my onstar report and mine is plugged in all the time.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:15 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Also if you have the DSC Sport Mag Ride Module, you get the same.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:42 AM
gmarcucio
Drifting

Received 603 Likes on 319 Posts

So you purchase the range unit and worry about plugging it in and then having to fight with GM warranty if there is ever an issue or you don't purchase the range unit and worry about fighting with GM warranty when transmission fails? Can't win, other than not purchase the car at all or at least an A8 equipped one.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:43 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

I have the newest range device and receive the same exact email monthly.. I have a 2014 so that may be the reason....I like that it is blocking an external company that I do not wish to monitor my vehicle on a daily basis...

Even though it says they can not gather information they still are able to get your oil life and mileage, I suspect even more information than those 2..
Old 01-12-2019, 08:46 AM
gmarcucio
Drifting

Received 603 Likes on 319 Posts

What year car does the OP have? Does anyone have this issue with the Range unit on a 2019?
Old 01-12-2019, 09:15 AM
daveven
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you contact RANGE about the message ?
Old 01-12-2019, 09:36 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Most devices plugged into the OBD II port will cause that issue including most of the insurance snoops. If you are signed up with OnStar's plan you will get that monthly email, it isn't a special warning or diagnostic from OnStar but simply their usual nag message and with a device using the OBD II port OnStar.can't run their full remote diagnostics.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:54 AM
cdnrx1
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I have a 2019 GS, A8, 2LT and have had the latest version of the Range AFM disabler installed since taking delivery of the car in early April. I too have received the same message from OnStar although it was only the most recent notification in November shortly before the car was put into storage. All prior emails were normal and made no mention of an aftermarket device being plugged into the OBD II port.

I'm not concerned about it and don't believe that it will affect the vehicle's warranty status in any way. The Range device is always taken out prior to any visit to the dealer and it's use cannot be detected after being removed.

Get notified of new replies

To Is Range effecting my car ?

Old 01-12-2019, 11:22 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

I am sure that there is a random component so if the Range isn't actively suppressing the AFM "triggers" when OnStar runs the remote scan then a normal diagnostics report will run. I suspect if you contacted OnStar to run remote diagnostics while your Range (regardless of version) is plugged in there is a very high probability that they will be unable to do so. Back when I had my 2016 Z06 in for its required 500 mile oil change the service manager was explaining to a customer why her Progressive snapshot "insurance snoop device" caused the same OnStar error report that started this thread.
cdnrx1 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 01:00 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Try this, the next time you take the car unplug the Range before you start the car. Drive it awhile, and let OnStar do their thing. I should be OK then. And no, the Range will not void your warranty. I took my '16 in for the transmission flush in the fall. I just unplugged the Range, and left it at home. The dealer took the car out, came back and said yep we'll change the fluid. No problems.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:07 PM
Pisswilly
Melting Slicks

Received 834 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by cdnrx1
I have a 2019 GS, A8, 2LT and have had the latest version of the Range AFM disabler installed since taking delivery of the car in early April. I too have received the same message from OnStar although it was only the most recent notification in November shortly before the car was put into storage. All prior emails were normal and made no mention of an aftermarket device being plugged into the OBD II port.

I'm not concerned about it and don't believe that it will affect the vehicle's warranty status in any way. The Range device is always taken out prior to any visit to the dealer and it's use cannot be detected after being removed.
Yes, but ONSTAR has a record of it, so even if you remove it, GM will know you were using it.

Quick Reply: Is Range effecting my car ?