Is Range effecting my car ? - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Range effecting my car ?

Old 01-12-2019, 02:27 PM
MlwYlw
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Pisswilly View Post

Yes, but ONSTAR has a record of it, so even if you remove it, GM will know you were using it.
I also have an Owl camera that when left plugged in does the same. I don't think a dash/security cam will 'void my warranty'. How can OnStar tell if it's a Range AFM or Owl or other?
If it that was their basis, I am reasonably comfortable that an attorney, electrical engineer and a competent mechanic's testimony would refute their claim.
The Following User Says Thank You to MlwYlw For This Useful Post:
NSC5 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 03:05 PM
NSC5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 1,002 Times in 678 Posts

Exactly as MlwYlw stated, any number of things plugged into that port will prevent OnStar from running diagnostics. After a mouse attacked my 2006 GMC pickup several years ago I got the same OnStar "unable to run diags" email two months in a row due to a blown fuse. And OBD-II code reader plugged in when OnStar tries to run monthly diagnostics will create the same "fault".

There are a lot of things you can do which will kill your warranty but an email to the owner because OnStar couldn't complete diagnostics isn't one of them.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:14 PM
orca1946
CF Senior Member

So Range is still the answer.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:32 PM
cdnrx1

OnStar is speculating that " This issue may be caused by an aftermarket device plugged into your vehicle's diagnostic port. " It could be one of any number of legitimate OBD II devices that could be used at any given time, as mentioned above. They don't know for a fact that a Range AFM disabler is being used as it leaves no electronic footprint.

I'm comfortable that there will be no negative issues regarding the vehicle's factory warranty as a result of using the Range device.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Range effecting my car ?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: