Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supra evolution vs. Corvette evolution

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 09:03 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,827 Posts

I frankly don't mind what they did with the Supra from a business standpoint. It's affordable and will sell. If they created the 90s version today and it was at a 100k+ price point it would fail. Look at the NSX. Look at the GTR. Not the right moment in time.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:11 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette
Ok but realize they two of the most dependable and nicely built cars for a long time. Wish GM was more like them!
I understand but they have flooded our market. I prefer to give the other car markets a shot at my $ and they are very dependable choices as well.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:26 AM
2FastCorvette4U
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Nissan did a really good design job with the Infiniti Q60 red sport. Very good balance of looks and power and I hear the power potential is very stout. The new Supra I am still hoping they have a secret that no one knows yet. Does anyone know what the internals are in the motor yet? The 07-08 BMW N54 motor came with forged internals and if Toyota decided to forge the internals on this car as well then this car actually could be something very special which is what really made the last gen so special in reality.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:52 AM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 2FastCorvette4U
Nissan did a really good design job with the Infiniti Q60 red sport. Very good balance of looks and power and I hear the power potential is very stout. The new Supra I am still hoping they have a secret that no one knows yet. Does anyone know what the internals are in the motor yet? The 07-08 BMW N54 motor came with forged internals and if Toyota decided to forge the internals on this car as well then this car actually could be something very special which is what really made the last gen so special in reality.
i’m With you, my guess it will basically be a n54 motor. That’s a big deal if you know anything about that motor. With that in mind the tunning market is going to explode with the introduction of the new Supra. My guess is we will see a lot of 500hp supras with basically a tune only. Would I buy one...probably not, or at least for a couple years when I can pick on up in the teens.

Last edited by chefcg1; 01-19-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:25 AM
2FastCorvette4U
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by chefcg1

i’m With you, my guess it will basically be a n54 motor. That’s a big deal if you know anything about that motor. With that in mind the tunning market is going to explode with the introduction of the new Supra. My guess is we will see a lot of 500hp supras with basically a tune only. Would I buy one...probably not, or at least for a couple years when I can pick on up in the teens.
If the internals are forged I will buy one for sure. I had a 94 Supra turbo six speed and I loved it. Although when I started going over 800whp the car just did not feel safe to me anymore. High modified Corvette's honestly feel so much more safe than any Supra ever could.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:05 AM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,364 Likes on 1,160 Posts

Default Sake Buyer

Most new Supra shoppers would never consider a Corvette. Different attitudes dare I say different age demographic. Fun to see the first one when they arrive. Then the amusement park is closed for me.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:13 AM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII
This just tells you how GOOD the old Supra was. Well other then its price which was insane at the time. The new one? Not feeling it. I think the Infiniti Q60 Red Sport is a better choice. The upmarket Nissan is heavily but has more power along with AWD and looks much better, especially the interior. Plus if you want a BMW Z4 just buy one. A Supra with no targa top, no hatch and no manual transmission is not a Supra in my book. About the only thing I like about it is the smaller size. The 'Vette is a step above.
The price WAS insane at the time. The price quoted above can't be correct. My '94 TT Supra listed for $48k and I bought it new in '95 for $38000. They couldn't sell many for the near $50k list. I still have the sticker. Car was absolutely bullet proof but never as fast as I thought it should have been. I sold it in '07 for $17500 with 117000 miles on it to buy an '08 Vette coupe. I'm not even close to liking the new Bimmer Supra.

Quick Reply: Supra evolution vs. Corvette evolution