Sponsored by:

I want your input....Roadtrip

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 04:42 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos Thomas
from June 22nd - July 3rd to give you an idea of the snow.

Some really Beautiful Photo's of your trip.I think there is a Winter Photo Contest floating around here? Ha,Who's checking dates

The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 05:02 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Highway 61
A couple of things no one has mentioned yet is the Woodward Dream Cruise (www.woodwarddreamcruise.com) in Detroit on August 19 this year and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.
Yes, The R&R HOF can be an all day visit but it is stunning and about 6miles from my home. Too bad you won't have time for everything thing. Grab a few AAA Travel Books for the states you're traveling through and you'll get some great ideas.
Maxie2U (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 05:46 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Originally Posted by Glennm27
While visiting Cape Cod driving out to the tip Provincetown is cool and then back to Falmouth (Woods Hole) where you can take the Ferry to Martha’s Vineyard.
Hyannis is a nice central location on the Cape to stay overnight.

After Cape Cod if you plan to head south find your way towards Newport, RI. Very cool town with gorgeous old mansions and fishing ports.
I'll second that about Cape Cod. Go to the end and spend a night. Otherwise you spend most of your time driving as a lot of the hwy is only 2 lanes and a bunch of small towns with lights, traffic and 35mph. Go off season for sure.
And as to the ferry to Block Island....we stayed at a big motel right across from the ferry. Huge parking lot. BUT-also a million squawking sea gulls. Motel does not like visitors using the bath towels to protect their cars.......lol. Be forewarned though.

To OP..... love road trips. Hoping to head out to Southwest and CO next year to see some old friends.
But hankering for a run to The Keys for a month. Campgrounds get you into the wild part. Or do the tourist route in Key West.
Its all good and on my permanent bucket list.

Last edited by bmans vette; 01-21-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Maxie2U (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 05:52 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Newport RI is cool also. My BIL who passed last year lived in RI. He worked at Electric Boat. Several years back we went on a boat tour of Newport Bay for all the lighthouses.....very cool.
If you love saltwater fishing (I DO). Point Judith is a great spot.

Too much to do sometimes with so little time.
You will be close to Canada on your planned route. Plenty of nice diversions up to there also.

Enjoy whatever you do.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:30 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,164 Likes on 2,250 Posts

Originally Posted by bmans vette
I'll second that about Cape Cod. Go to the end and spend a night. Otherwise you spend most of your time driving as a lot of the hwy is only 2 lanes and a bunch of small towns with lights, traffic and 35mph. Go off season for sure.
And as to the ferry to Block Island....we stayed at a big motel right across from the ferry. Huge parking lot. BUT-also a million squawking sea gulls. Motel does not like visitors using the bath towels to protect their cars.......lol. Be forewarned though.

To OP..... love road trips. Hoping to head out to Southwest and CO next year to see some old friends.
But hankering for a run to The Keys for a month. Campgrounds get you into the wild part. Or do the tourist route in Key West.
Its all good and on my permanent bucket list.
Another great place along the keys and way less crowded is Key Largo.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:30 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
I agree, sunset, Mile Marker 95, Key Largo, Florida Feb. 2018.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:26 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Maxie2U

Originally Posted by ricks327
I agree, sunset, Mile Marker 95, Key Largo, Florida Feb. 2018.

That is Upper Keys which were much more crowded before the 7 Mile Bridge rebuild and the moratorium on building in the Lower Keys was lifted.
I loved going there (Lower Keys) in the 70's and 80's when it was known as the Conch Republic.
Jimmy Buffet and Hard Rock Cafe along with tour ships changed that image.....
I'll check out the Middle Keys more next time. Liked the flats in Marathon. First time there in 74 had a 18' Grumman aluminum canoe. Some great times drift fishing there.
Scuba and snorkeling was clean.
John Pennykamp Campground was always booked (upper keys of course). So you often had to find an opening a little further south. But being a preserve the snorkeling alone was awesome.
Knight's Key wild campground....$5 a night.

Oh the memories.....

Find a live conch, hang them on a fishing line and hook and wait for them to drop the shell. Conch fritters and salad along with a beautiful shell. File off the pointed end of the shell and make into a horn to call friends across the water with......yep
Old 01-21-2019, 11:15 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default The Keys in the good old days

Just some from my files

Sunset Pier at end of Duvall St

Buddy of mine on his 63 Comet with boat, fishing, scuba gear on trailer in Lower Keys 1978

Heading out off Key West in am for fishing

Lower Keys bridge 1978

Sunset in the keys 1975

7 Mile Bridge

My GF in the Keys 1975

GF campground shower/bathroom shot 1975

Surf at Jupiter Inlet, FL 1975

Me in 74 in canoe off Monroe Co beach.

Last edited by bmans vette; 01-23-2019 at 02:37 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:28 AM
jsmcol
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts

If you are still going by Cleveland, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is definitely worth the time to stop in. Can see the whole place in about 4-5 hours depending on how much you stop and read all the info...
Too bad you aren't heading south a bit and could see the Corvette Museum and the Plant in Bowling Green Ky.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:47 AM
Michael T*
Drifting

Received 945 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO SEE on I10 between San Antonio and El Paso. 552 miles of boredom. Here, this will save you the drive.

I don't know about I10 through New Mexico and Arizona, though.

I would suggest you visit Big Bend National Park and stay at the lodge in the Chisnos Mountains. It is south of I-10 between Van Horne and Fort Stockton. I have read it is the least visited National Park (likely due to its remote location) but has the highest rate of return visits. The hiking is great and the stars at night are unbelievable.
Walt White Coupe (06-18-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 02:05 PM
Pro

Received 303 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327
My thoughts: Go thru the UP of Michigan, then cross into Canada at Port Huron, Mi. It may be a few more miles but I would guess a shorter travel time, more enjoyable and no tolls. Plus, going thru Canada from Port Huron is shorter.
Michigan's UP yes. Especially the Keweenaw Peninsula/Brockway Mountain Drive/Copper Harbor. Take 26 to Brockway Mountain Drive into Copper Harbor and drive all of 26 back to 41. I lived in this area for nearly 4 years when I went to college at Michigan Tech. It is very scenic. Also Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore on Lake Superior is scenic. From there drop South to Hwy 2 along the Lake Michigan shoreline.

Wrong on the tolls. The Mackinaw bridge connecting the UP with the Lower peninsula and the International bridges have tolls and sometimes takes it a while to cross the border and go through the customs screening. 407 in Ontario is an expensive toll also.

Quick Reply: I want your input....Roadtrip