Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel & tire rant

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 02:06 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Received 666 Likes on 275 Posts

Interesting to see a Z51 wheel issue. You said you bought the car new, but no one has asked the obvious question of what wheels are on your car? It's not unheard of for dealers to swap/change the wheels on inventory vehicles.

Can you provide a pic please?
Old 01-27-2019, 02:38 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

He meant he has the OEM Z51 wheels that came on the car. It's almost unheard of for dealers to swap wheels.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:29 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Foosh
He meant he has the OEM Z51 wheels that came on the car
OEM Z51 is what I assume as well, but sometimes the obvious needs asked. Especially when one person has had so many issues.
Originally Posted by Foosh
It's almost unheard of for dealers to swap wheels.
There are several companies here in the business of modifying dealer inventory. Wheels & tires being the most common, lift kits, lowered, appearance packages, ect... Ridiculous if you ask me, but they do it and they charge handsomely for it!

Spotted this overpriced turd the other day https://www.drivekelleychevrolet.com...-IN/3358418063

The Dodge dealer here has more hoe'd out cars, trucks and jeeps than any place I've ever seen.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:39 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default Thats fixable

just switch to a smaller wheel and a higher profile tire.....like buying different shoes only much more expensive
Old 01-27-2019, 04:49 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by HooosierDaddy
There are several companies here in the business of modifying dealer inventory. Wheels & tires being the most common, lift kits, lowered, appearance packages, ect... Ridiculous if you ask me, but they do it and they charge handsomely for it!

Spotted this overpriced turd the other day https://www.drivekelleychevrolet.com...-IN/3358418063

The Dodge dealer here has more hoe'd out cars, trucks and jeeps than any place I've ever seen.
Yes, that's a more common sales tactic for Jeeps and trucks to do lift kits and big wheels. I've never seen it done on a sports car.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:36 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Our car came with the GM chrome wheels that I use for the PSS during summer. For the AS setup I bought a set of used silver painted GM wheels, had them inspected and spun before mounting the AS tires- perfect.
After ruining the first tire last year, I had them inspected and spun by a different shop- still good.
Only after ruining the tire this week did anyone find any bends.
So far, no vibration that I can notice, so the bends must be pretty slight.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:53 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Sounds like the bead of the A/S tires is the weakest point and is failing. You mention that the bead broke the first time and the rim spun ok. The second time the bead broke and slightly bent the rim.....to me you took a bigger hit than the first time and since the bead failed, the energy got transferred to the rim and bent it slightly. No tire/wheel expert here, but I say the tires are the problem. What are the A/S tires?
Old 01-27-2019, 09:10 PM
HooosierDaddy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Our car came with the GM chrome wheels that I use for the PSS during summer. For the AS setup I bought a set of used silver painted GM wheels, had them inspected and spun before mounting the AS tires- perfect.
After ruining the first tire last year, I had them inspected and spun by a different shop- still good.
Only after ruining the tire this week did anyone find any bends.
So far, no vibration that I can notice, so the bends must be pretty slight.
Jim,

Sorry you are having to deal with all this. Sounds like your rolling along okay now though, so that's a good thing.

Out of curiosity, these extra wheels you bought. Were they 18/19 or 19/20?
Old 01-28-2019, 07:12 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

19/20.
In both my cases, the sidewall compressed so much that the rim cut into the sidewall right next to the bead. The bead did not actually fail, and the tire still held air.
I started a thread about this a year ago, and how the people at Spring Mountain helped us out. There’s a picture if you can find the thread, this time was identical.
Some people have posted that the C7 Michelin’s have all the runflat stiffness in the inboard sidewall, and in both my cases the damage was on the outside sidewall.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:31 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

PS
Spending the night at the Gage Hotel in Marathon, TX outside of Big Bend National Park. Drove our private version of the Big Bend Open Road Race this afternoon.
Life is good.

Quick Reply: Wheel & tire rant