Sponsored by:

Corvette Racing School (Detailed Version) - Ron Fellows Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 05:15 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
What it doesn't demonstrate or mention is drifting in the corners.
Drifting looks cool but its slow. Watch a professional race... they avoid any type of sliding. Ideally you want to maximize grip, this way the car can slow down, turns and accelerates as best as possible.

The reason you run over the rumble strips is that is the shortest way around the course. Distance and angle are paramount. Yes this upsets the car slightly, but you can carry way more speed by using the full track width, this means clipping the apex.

While track driving is a great way to learn car control there isn't much that translates into safe street driving. The biggest thing would be where your eyes should be looking and hand position along with general car control. The street is no place to try to put track driving skills to the test.

Last edited by JMII; 03-18-2019 at 05:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JMII:
duckvett (03-18-2019), Silver C7 (03-23-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 02:29 AM
Mike's Sweet 19
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I echo your experience and it showed how tough these corvettes are, so I now have a better understanding on how to safely drive my 2019 Z51 Stingray.
The only comment I would add is that you really could not tell the difference between the GS, Stingray or Z06 performance when they were clustered in the same group: then it came down to the driver.
But whatever car as out htere the whole experience was fun.
During my 3/13,14 class the wind was blowing the track cones over and some times it was hard to find the apex. Thank goodness for the tire marks on the green and white tiles near the apex and the field spotter repositioning the cones to vertical.

Last edited by Mike's Sweet 19; 03-19-2019 at 02:34 AM. Reason: modification of verbage
The following users liked this post:
Ozzstar (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 09:14 AM
Demnos
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 113 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

I think the biggest takeaway for me for street driving is to always look for an exit. Get into the habit of looking ahead. They had a great example in one of the classes where he said that a semi was heading toward you on a curvy street "what do you do?" You always want to have an exit plan so that it is second nature to try and get out of trouble. Knowing and understanding how your car can and will react can mean the difference between just getting a few scratches on your paint and having a full blown wreck.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:52 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Your videos are awesome as always Ozz. I'm here at SM on the 2nd day and it's my birthday. Can't think of anywhere I'd rather be.
The following users liked this post:
G8R-Vette (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 10:58 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII
Drifting looks cool but its slow. Watch a professional race... they avoid any type of sliding. Ideally you want to maximize grip, this way the car can slow down, turns and accelerates as best as possible.
Not entirely true. While the drifting that DH Joe is a fan of is definitely the slowest way around a track, you do want some slip angle.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:55 AM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

Wow, I could have used this video BEFORE I went last December. It was an awesome experience and your video captured exactly what I saw, felt and did.
My only regret: I screwed up and didn’t load my disc for the skid pad nor the ride-along with the instructor. Anybody yet to go, make sure you do that!
also, maybe I missed it in your video but there are instructors parked in side-by-sides along the course and they feed your instructor info so he or she can correct your technique. The instructor is juggling two radios while driving a manual Camero and could drive away from you in two seconds. They are really watching and you better do it the way they instruct or you are in for a scolding! Safety first! The first time the instructors spoke to me about my improper hand positions on the wheel, I was like, how the F did he know where my hands were!?!
What was so impressive was the capability of these cars. I asked Richie Hearn which model he liked best and he said the GS. When you get up in the RPM, there is plenty of power without supercharger. I was in a manual Stingray and the car did everything I needed it to do and kept up with the wide bodies. The Z06 gained on me a little on the long straight but the Ray caught back up on the rest of the course. I doubt we were pushing the car past 70% by the end of day 2.
every owner should do this school.
Great video, thanks for creating it and posting it. SM should put it on their website! And maybe buy you a new car for the effort.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:03 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

If you're going slow enough, you won't need to brake - just apply throttle and drift the turns.

What it doesn't demonstrate or mention is drifting in the corners. Probably not advanced enough to risk drifting with the throttle? . It halfway explains that you need to aim for and hump it over the raised rumble pavement, but I'm wondering why that's employed versus steering clear of the rumbled pavement? The telemetry of the car must be thrown off by this, but it must offset avoiding it?
Basically, we were told to start the turn at the entry cone which is later than expected. Then, take the shortest route which was over the curb on the inside of the corner where the apex is.
We set the cars in track mode 1. I don’t know how much drifting could be done before the car corrected. I never felt the controls come on.
We were taught to brake hard going into a turn to transfer weight forward which increases the front grip to improve steering. The timing of this was tricky. At any rate, the car never got loose in any way.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:42 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

If you're going slow enough, you won't need to brake - just apply throttle and drift the turns.
Good lord.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:48 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffthunbird
Basically, we were told to start the turn at the entry cone which is later than expected.
Most new comers to track driving apex too early. Its very common because your brain is like "oh hell no... I am not going to make the corner, better turn NOW". Years of street driving has taught you to maintain lane control and drive right down the middle so turning late seems wrong (at first). The problem is the sooner you turn in the later your exit - and a late exit means your off track. The key to going fast to maximize the exit speed, which means slow in / fast out. If done correctly you shouldn't require any steering correction, it should be one smooth motion. As you power out the weight transfers to the rear and car should naturally track from the apex to the outside of the corner.

I borrowed this from: http://nwalfaclub.com/track/track-driving-basics.html

B is your brake zone. A is the apex. As you can see if you early apex (red line) you can go off track. As crazy as it seems the later you turn-in the safer the route (yellow line). However the fastest line (green) requires you to be pretty much on the very edge of the track at the point of full acceleration (point O).

As mentioned learning the timing is the hard part, especially since approaching the braking zone your at top speed covering more distance in less time. Thus even a fraction of a second delay causes the green line to turn into the yellow line.
The following 2 users liked this post by JMII:
joemessman (03-19-2019), Ozzstar (03-19-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 01:10 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

^all true, but your apex partly depends on what is before and after the corner.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:19 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

OZZSTAR:
What are the basic take aways you can and do use on the streets and highways in everyday driving?
I am no expert on this subject but I would say looking up while driving, down the road. Far in front of you and to the sides will help you avoid potential issues.
Thanks for checking out the video!
Old 03-19-2019, 08:20 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by Foosh
Nice job OZZ, brings back great memories of that same track when I was there last fall. I also did Level 1 Z06 school back in 2006 shortly after they opened. The only thing there was one building and a couple of garages. They've come a long way over the last decade, with many more track configurations and very nice amenities.
Yes Foosh it's really cool to see the track prospering and growing. Hopefully it stays that way with so many new features to come. Take care. -Glen
Old 03-19-2019, 08:23 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by spinkick
Awesome video, It looks like a blast. You did great out there.
Thanks spinkick. I really appreciate you watching and the positive feedback! -Glen (Ozz)
Old 03-19-2019, 08:26 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by DALE#3
Gotta say,Video was Very well Dun and informative,Big Time.Very cool to be able to purchase a Race Car today.Not Cheap.What the Hell is? Want cheap go to the dollar store.
I know what you mean about the braking.You did very well for first track by the way.I was watching the brake meter.Yes makes sense on braking hard as you explained it.That is why going to fast entering you hear tires more cause car wasn't planted.
Never knew that.Got over 100k miles on both of my Colorado pu trucks on first brake job.True story.Learned from UPS Driving School,look way ahead,like track,But let off before braking.
I didn't go to school after my GS Purchase.To be honest,afraid of myself driving faster when i got home.I drive fast.That is why i spent 75k.Love fast and a handling car.
I want to go.May still try to get in?My year ran out.Got a couple ideas...
Glad you were happy you went.Thanks.Great job
Dale thanks for the feedback! -Glen
Old 03-19-2019, 08:27 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by Ranger5
Ozz,
Very well done! I had the same instructor about a year ago. Took me awhile to get the concept of hard braking down also. I understood what the instructors were saying....intellectually it took awhile to translate it properly. Great video.
Thank you Sir!
Old 03-19-2019, 08:31 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by socalspringmountain
awesome video and descriptions! I like how you explained the exercises too, as a lot of people have questions on that.
much, much appreciate the work you put into it Glen!
cheers sir!
Vic.
Hi Vic. I tried sharing information that was prudent, accurate and detailed as much as I could in 42 minutes without putting anyone to sleep! haha I appreciate what you guys do at Spring Mountain and look forward to being there again sometime in the future. Thank you for the feedback. -Glen
Old 03-19-2019, 08:32 PM
G8R-Vette
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Demnos
I think the biggest takeaway for me for street driving is to always look for an exit. Get into the habit of looking ahead. They had a great example in one of the classes where he said that a semi was heading toward you on a curvy street "what do you do?" You always want to have an exit plan so that it is second nature to try and get out of trouble. Knowing and understanding how your car can and will react can mean the difference between just getting a few scratches on your paint and having a full blown wreck.
Great comment.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Racing School (Detailed Version) - Ron Fellows Corvette

Old 03-19-2019, 08:35 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by socalspringmountain
awesome video and descriptions! I like how you explained the exercises too, as a lot of people have questions on that.
much, much appreciate the work you put into it Glen!
cheers sir!
Vic.
Originally Posted by Demnos
Great video!! Gets the heart pumping just remembering the class so thank you for putting this together. Totally agree too that the instructors are top notch and very patient. Can't wait to go back someday
I will admit that while editing the video it did get my adrenaline pumping and the blood flowing!! haha Thanks for checking it out! -Glen (Ozz)
Old 03-19-2019, 08:40 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
Your videos are awesome as always Ozz. I'm here at SM on the 2nd day and it's my birthday. Can't think of anywhere I'd rather be.
That is awesome Joe!! What a great place to be for your birthday. I hope you had awesome weather and a great two days while at Ron Fellows! Happy birthday. -Glen
Old 03-19-2019, 09:04 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by Jeffthunbird
Wow, I could have used this video BEFORE I went last December. It was an awesome experience and your video captured exactly what I saw, felt and did.
My only regret: I screwed up and didn’t load my disc for the skid pad nor the ride-along with the instructor. Anybody yet to go, make sure you do that!
also, maybe I missed it in your video but there are instructors parked in side-by-sides along the course and they feed your instructor info so he or she can correct your technique. The instructor is juggling two radios while driving a manual Camero and could drive away from you in two seconds. They are really watching and you better do it the way they instruct or you are in for a scolding! Safety first! The first time the instructors spoke to me about my improper hand positions on the wheel, I was like, how the F did he know where my hands were!?!
What was so impressive was the capability of these cars. I asked Richie Hearn which model he liked best and he said the GS. When you get up in the RPM, there is plenty of power without supercharger. I was in a manual Stingray and the car did everything I needed it to do and kept up with the wide bodies. The Z06 gained on me a little on the long straight but the Ray caught back up on the rest of the course. I doubt we were pushing the car past 70% by the end of day 2.
every owner should do this school.
Great video, thanks for creating it and posting it. SM should put it on their website! And maybe buy you a new car for the effort.
Hi Jeff. First off thanks for your awesome comment! There was so much information and so many more details I could have included but did not want to make the video too long. You bring up some really good points and info regarding the instructor critiquing and exactly how they do it on track. Out of all the videos (approx. 190+) I have filmed, edited and posted on my YouTube channel Ozzstar, the Spring Mountain video took the most time, work and effort. I really enjoyed making it and glad to hear people such as yourself like it as well. The positive input really means a lot to me. I wouldn't be upset if you contacted Spring Mountain and told them how much you liked the video and I might deserve a freebie. :-) It probably would never happen but if SM did give me a car you would be the first person I give a ride to because of the suggestion! Thanks and take care. -Glen

Quick Reply: Corvette Racing School (Detailed Version) - Ron Fellows Corvette