Sponsored by:

Going from a 3LT to a 1LT

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 05:02 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Quietbreaker
In interesting point of fact, I did a search for Corvettes located in Central Florida, with a 500 mile radius on Autotrader. A ton of 1LT Grand Sports came up, virtually no 3LT cars. I'm sure there's no direct logical correlation to be made, I just found it interesting.

Also, I asked earlier, all this talk of performance, does anyone have any realworld back to back testing between a 1LT C7 and a 3LT C7? With the way some folks have gone on about performance being the goal, I just figure there's some information out there I'm missing that shows that the extra equipment available on the 2LT and 3LT models results in something crazy, like the car being a second slower to sixty or running two seconds slower in the quarter, something like that. Anyone got some realworld results to share?
The 1LT, 2LT and 3LT option packages are about creature comforts not performance. The z16 package is about performance. Look up any review of the grand sport and you will see the advantages over a base stingray.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:36 PM
Quietbreaker
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
Yeah, crazy me using the company that makes and sells the car to determine how much the car costs. Seriously? Like I said, I'm making you look silly, because, well, you're silly.

And the only difference between kbb and black book is that the black book prices will all be lower because dealers like to use it to get the best prices when dealing with customers (shocker) there will be no difference in the key point - the difference in price between a 1LT car vs. a 3LT car or a 3LT stingray vs a GS. I never claimed dealers would honor kbb values, i was using kbb values to show you how close a 2 year old vette price would be regardless of option level and how much better a GS holds it's value vs. a 3LT stingray. You're making up a new argument that never existed because I destroyed you in the actual argument.

In summation: A new GS is almost the same exact prices as a 3LT Stingray (check chevy.com yourself if you want)
For used cars, the 3LT packaged stingrays devalue much faster than a GS (that has the z16 package).
For used cars, there is virtually no difference in price between a 3LT stingray vs a 1LT stingray (about $1k).

Those three items are facts that were backed with evidence. If you have any evidence at all to call them into question, you might want to start showing said evidence rather than crying about being wrong.
I'm actually blown away by how you simply can't admit to being incorrect. Virtually everything you've said here is incorrect. I mean, you even said it yourself:

" I never claimed dealers would honor kbb values, i was using kbb values to show you how..." That's it, full stop. If a dealer doesn't honor KBB values...then what good are they? Also, again, if you're throwing out these values, you really need to add the caveat of "In MY home market..." because in MY market, you're flat out wrong. There's about a five grand difference between 1LT and 3LT car, and 3LT cars are scarce and get snapped up quickly.

So, please stop talking about "evidence", because it's just embarrassing at this point. You've provided zero evidence, and what's more embarrassing is that you seem not to comprehend that KBB values will be different based on different markets. I mean...I really don't know how to interface with someone who doesn't understand this simple fact. Sorry, man,
Old 05-20-2019, 05:44 PM
MrClean21
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Wow. This thread plumb wore me out.

Last edited by MrClean21; 05-20-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:45 PM
Quietbreaker
Racer

The 1LT, 2LT and 3LT option packages are about creature comforts not performance. The z16 package is about performance. Look up any review of the grand sport and you will see the advantages over a base stingray.
Please stop sidestepping the question. Does a Grand Sport have significant realworld performance advantages (as in street, everyday use, NOT track) over a base Stingray? I think we know the answer to that. I think you'll find that the realworld acceleration numbers are very close, which means that the idea that 1LT is the most performance oriented car is...well that's a matter of opinion. 3LT cars are giving up zero performance negatives to 1LT Stingrays, and if we aren't talking track performance, seems like the GS doesn't really bring a huge performance envelope over the "narrow" body car. And really, in my market, Grand Sports command a several to ten thousand dollar premium over 1LT Stingrays, and a four to several thousand dollar difference over 3LT cars.

Anyway, I didn't join this forum to argue with people, and it's become a waste of my time. I already own the car I wanted. Everyone here seems to own the car THEY wanted, so arguing over price is counter productive. Gotta say, you really need to grab some different zip codes in different states, and run some numbers. Markets are different, and dealers are definitely not putting 3LT Z51 Stingrays on lots sitting next to Grand Sport 1LZs which are available for $300 more as you claim. It's just not happening at any of the Chevy dealers in my regional area, I know, because I looked. I looked at actual numbers, on actual cars sitting on lots, not what KBB or Chevy.com told me. (shrug) Is what it is. Now all that said, enjoy your Grand Sport, I'm going to enjoy my Z51 3LT Stingray, and we can both be happy with our purchase. I know I am, hope you are too.

Last edited by Quietbreaker; 05-20-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:02 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

No one else drives my 1LT Z51,I ordered it.

HUD is a big issue with some folks and that's fine.I didn't like it on my C5Z and not this time.

The 1LT pkg is hardly stripped down,In my view.

\db2
Old 05-20-2019, 06:08 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts

Originally Posted by dbaker
No one else drives my 1LT Z51,I ordered it.

HUD is a big issue with some folks and that's fine.I didn't like it on my C5Z and not this time.

The 1LT pkg is hardly stripped down,In my view.
\db2
I don't see how any reasonable person could say the C7 1LT is stripped down. It certainly isn't fully equipped by today's standards, but then neither is the 3LT.

1LT Trim/Equipment Package:

A nicely equipped sportscar including 8” touchscreen, Bose AM-FM 9 speaker stereo, 3 month Sirius/XM,MP3, MyLink, OnStar, 4G LTE, 8” HD driver info screen, leather power GT sports seats, power break set/release, power locks/windows, active handling, dual-zone AC, keyless access/start, power tilt/telescopic, leather wrap steering w/flat bottom wheel, cruise control, tire pressure monitor, driver, passenger and side airbags, carbon fiber hood, Bremo 4-piston disc brakes, rear view camera, coup- body color painted carbon fiber roof panels, convertible- power soft-top which can be lowered remotely.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:20 PM
Quietbreaker
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I don't see how any reasonable person could say the C7 1LT is stripped down. It certainly isn't fully equipped by today's standards, but then neither is the 3LT.

1LT Trim/Equipment Package:

A nicely equipped sportscar including 8” touchscreen, Bose AM-FM 9 speaker stereo, 3 month Sirius/XM,MP3, MyLink, OnStar, 4G LTE, 8” HD driver info screen, leather power GT sports seats, power break set/release, power locks/windows, active handling, dual-zone AC, keyless access/start, power tilt/telescopic, leather wrap steering w/flat bottom wheel, cruise control, tire pressure monitor, driver, passenger and side airbags, carbon fiber hood, Bremo 4-piston disc brakes, rear view camera, coup- body color painted carbon fiber roof panels, convertible- power soft-top which can be lowered remotely.
I actually agree.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:49 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Please stop sidestepping the question. Does a Grand Sport have significant realworld performance advantages (as in street, everyday use, NOT track) over a base Stingray? I think we know the answer to that. I think you'll find that the realworld acceleration numbers are very close, which means that the idea that 1LT is the most performance oriented car is...well that's a matter of opinion. 3LT cars are giving up zero performance negatives to 1LT Stingrays, and if we aren't talking track performance, seems like the GS doesn't really bring a huge performance envelope over the "narrow" body car. And really, in my market, Grand Sports command a several to ten thousand dollar premium over 1LT Stingrays, and a four to several thousand dollar difference over 3LT cars.

Anyway, I didn't join this forum to argue with people, and it's become a waste of my time. I already own the car I wanted. Everyone here seems to own the car THEY wanted, so arguing over price is counter productive. Gotta say, you really need to grab some different zip codes in different states, and run some numbers. Markets are different, and dealers are definitely not putting 3LT Z51 Stingrays on lots sitting next to Grand Sport 1LZs which are available for $300 more as you claim. It's just not happening at any of the Chevy dealers in my regional area, I know, because I looked. I looked at actual numbers, on actual cars sitting on lots, not what KBB or Chevy.com told me. (shrug) Is what it is. Now all that said, enjoy your Grand Sport, I'm going to enjoy my Z51 3LT Stingray, and we can both be happy with our purchase. I know I am, hope you are too.
I'm not sidestepping any questions. I test drove a stingray, z51 and a GS before I decided on what to buy. I felt the difference driving the GS over the stingray and z51, it just felt more planted and solid and you could definitely feel the difference in the turns at higher speeds and it stopped better. Those are performance advantages that you feel on the street.

And there really is no argument - I've shown you that the new car msrp of a 3LT stingray is almost identical to the msrp of a 1LT grand sport. That is an indisputable fact. I then showed a kbb trade in price for the same cars 2 years older that showed the 3LT stingray devalued faster and more than the 1LT grand sport. If you look at black book you'll probably see the same exact gap just at lower base prices because dealers use black book to lowball consumers because they like to make as much money as possible (shocker) but the fact remains that the 3LT package devalues faster than the z16 package. You don't have to believe it, but the evidence I presented supports this fact, and you've shown absolutely no evidence to support your argument. 'Nuff said.

And It's great if everyone is happy with their cars, but if you get into an argument about prices, you can't just ignore reality. And I'm sorry but if the msrp of a car is a certain price, that's the price, man, regardless of what you want it to be or if it suits your argument. And it's a fact that the msrp of a 1lt GS is almost the same ($300 difference) as a 3LT stingray. Sure dealers will play with the prices from there, but if you let a dealer charge you $3000 more for a GS over a 3LT stingray, when the msrp is almost identical, then you are getting taken for a ride by the dealer. Then you go off an create arguments I never made, like saying there is no performance advantage between a 1LT stingray and a 3LT stingray - yeah, I never claimed there was - those are identical cars with the only difference being comfort options (The 1LT, 2LT and 3LT are nothing more than comfort options). But there is a performance difference between a 3LT stingray and a 1LT GS, because the GS has better suspension components, bigger wheels, and bigger brakes (because the z16 option pkg, the GS, is about performance options). These are just facts, if you don't like them, it's unfortunate, but they are facts and they are indisputable.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:57 AM
Quietbreaker
Racer

Sorry Kenny, your inability to process facts, and the stubborn attempt to keep pressing your own opinion as fact means that seeing your posts is something I don't need. I'll go ahead and be the adult here. Welcome to my ignore list.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:58 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

I'm actually blown away by how you simply can't admit to being incorrect. Virtually everything you've said here is incorrect. I mean, you even said it yourself:

" I never claimed dealers would honor kbb values, i was using kbb values to show you how..." That's it, full stop. If a dealer doesn't honor KBB values...then what good are they? Also, again, if you're throwing out these values, you really need to add the caveat of "In MY home market..." because in MY market, you're flat out wrong. There's about a five grand difference between 1LT and 3LT car, and 3LT cars are scarce and get snapped up quickly.

So, please stop talking about "evidence", because it's just embarrassing at this point. You've provided zero evidence, and what's more embarrassing is that you seem not to comprehend that KBB values will be different based on different markets. I mean...I really don't know how to interface with someone who doesn't understand this simple fact. Sorry, man,
Oh, I didn't read this before posting my last post, lol.

I've supplied plenty of evidence that can be checked by anyone by going to chevy.com or kbb.com. These are factual prices to show that a new 3LT stingray is almost the same msrp as a 1LT GS. Indisputable fact. The kbb value gives you an idea of how fast the 3LT package devalues vs the z16 GS package. You will see the same devaluation at black book, just with lower overall numbers because dealers use it to lowball their clients on trade-ins. That's a hell of a lot of evidence to support my argument.

Meanwhile, the only thing you have to support your incorrect argument is that 'you've seen' prices that don't match up with what is put out by the freaking manufacturer of the car, and then you claim the kbb values are completely wrong without offering any evidence whatsoever to support that claim.

It doesn't blow me away at all to run into yet another person who simply ignores factual evidence because it doesn't support what he or she wants to believe. But any rational person can look at my argument, see the supporting evidence I have supplied, and come to the obvious conclusion that my argument is correct, and that you are delusional.

The fact remains, a new 3LT stingray MSRPs at virtually the same price as a 1LT Grand Sport, and after a few years, the 1LT GS holds it's value better than a 3LT stingray. If you still want to dispute that, post any evidence at all to support your argument. Any. At all. And claiming you've seen prices to dispute this or that you know it's wrong, does not constitute evidence to support your argument.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:01 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Sorry Kenny, your inability to process facts, and the stubborn attempt to keep pressing your own opinion as fact means that seeing your posts is something I don't need. I'll go ahead and be the adult here. Welcome to my ignore list.

MSRPs are not opinions, they are facts. But please, keep displaying your abundant ignorance.

And I'll take being on the ignore list of some like you as a badge of honor. Because someone like you covers his ears and screams 'lalalalallala' when they are exposed to facts that show their own beliefs or arguments are simply wrong.

Last edited by kennyjames21; 05-21-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:45 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

You guys win! My Stingray is a piece of you know what....
Old 05-21-2019, 12:14 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by joemessman
You guys win! My Stingray is a piece of you know what....
A 1LT Stingray is an awesome car, and if I had went with that I probably would have been happy as hell with it - I hope you, or anybody else, don't take my arguments the wrong way, I'm just posting facts that should dispel some misconceptions about option packages and pricing. The reality is, for most people, the driving experience from the lowest optioned corvette to the highest optioned corvette isn't that big of a deal, most of the time...
Old 05-21-2019, 12:35 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

A 1LT Stingray is an awesome car, and if I had went with that I probably would have been happy as hell with it - I hope you, or anybody else, don't take my arguments the wrong way, I'm just posting facts that should dispel some misconceptions about option packages and pricing. The reality is, for most people, the driving experience from the lowest optioned corvette to the highest optioned corvette isn't that big of a deal, most of the time...
I was just having fun. I have to throw in a zinger once in a while. I get a kick out of reading some of these posts.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:26 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,702 Likes on 5,595 Posts

I'm not sidestepping any questions. I test drove a stingray, z51 and a GS before I decided on what to buy. I felt the difference driving the GS over the stingray and z51, it just felt more planted and solid and you could definitely feel the difference in the turns at higher speeds and it stopped better. Those are performance advantages that you feel on the street.

And there really is no argument - I've shown you that the new car msrp of a 3LT stingray is almost identical to the msrp of a 1LT grand sport. That is an indisputable fact. I then showed a kbb trade in price for the same cars 2 years older that showed the 3LT stingray devalued faster and more than the 1LT grand sport. If you look at black book you'll probably see the same exact gap just at lower base prices because dealers use black book to lowball consumers because they like to make as much money as possible (shocker) but the fact remains that the 3LT package devalues faster than the z16 package. You don't have to believe it, but the evidence I presented supports this fact, and you've shown absolutely no evidence to support your argument. 'Nuff said.
And It's great if everyone is happy with their cars, but if you get into an argument about prices, you can't just ignore reality. And I'm sorry but if the msrp of a car is a certain price, that's the price, man, regardless of what you want it to be or if it suits your argument. And it's a fact that the msrp of a 1lt GS is almost the same ($300 difference) as a 3LT stingray. Sure dealers will play with the prices from there, but if you let a dealer charge you $3000 more for a GS over a 3LT stingray, when the msrp is almost identical, then you are getting taken for a ride by the dealer. Then you go off an create arguments I never made, like saying there is no performance advantage between a 1LT stingray and a 3LT stingray - yeah, I never claimed there was - those are identical cars with the only difference being comfort options (The 1LT, 2LT and 3LT are nothing more than comfort options). But there is a performance difference between a 3LT stingray and a 1LT GS, because the GS has better suspension components, bigger wheels, and bigger brakes (because the z16 option pkg, the GS, is about performance options). These are just facts, if you don't like them, it's unfortunate, but they are facts and they are indisputable.
I did the same as you. I wasn't about to spend $60k>$100k on a C7 without first test driving every model to insure I got just what I wanted. Fortunately, I had some patient salesmen and finally decided on the GS. I always scratch my head when I here those on here say you can't tell the difference between the models unless tracked. You can most definitely feel the difference in handling/breaking/steering during street use.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:49 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

I’m fine with the 1LT or 1 LZ.The 3LT Or 3LZ or overly rated.I believe many of the options I can get aftermarket at a lower price.
The following users liked this post:
MrClean21 (05-21-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 05:21 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

In the span of 3 1/2 years I spec'd and ordered 4 C7s, all in 1LT. Three of these I ordered with the additional $10,000 GS option. Some with comp seats, painted calipers, stinger, optional paint, seat belts, badging, wheels, etc

My ears have no opinion on the lack of an additional speaker, my *** has no opinion on the lack of vented seats, my skin has no opinion on the lack of napa leather, but my eyes thank me profusely for getting to look at the appearance of the Vette I wanted.
The following 4 users liked this post by Iconic:
joemessman (05-22-2019), Kevin A Jones (05-22-2019), Patman (05-22-2019), ShadowGray19 (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 07:03 AM
ShadowGray19
Pro

Received 379 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by US Icon
In the span of 3 1/2 years I spec'd and ordered 4 C7s, all in 1LT. Three of these I ordered with the additional $10,000 GS option. Some with comp seats, painted calipers, stinger, optional paint, seat belts, badging, wheels, etc My ears have no opinion on the lack of an additional speaker, my *** has no opinion on the lack of vented seats, my skin has no opinion on the lack of napa leather, but my eyes thank me profusely for getting to look at the appearance of the Vette I wanted.
Good post (and funny). You trade or sell vehicles almost as often as I do. I have purchased 10 new vehicles (including 2 Corvettes) since 2012.

Last edited by ShadowGray19; 05-22-2019 at 07:03 AM.
Iconic (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 05:50 PM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by ShadowGray19
Good post (and funny). You trade or sell vehicles almost as often as I do. I have purchased 10 new vehicles (including 2 Corvettes) since 2012.

I am right behind you with 8 new vehicle purchases since 2012, all Chevys.
ShadowGray19 (05-22-2019)

Quick Reply: Going from a 3LT to a 1LT