Sponsored by:

7MT dash display alert

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 04:04 PM
N875ED
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 7MT dash display alert

Can someone with the M7 help me here?...I very occasionally get a message on the screen that starts out "Manual Transmission...." But it is displayed for such a short time, 3 seconds or less, that it disappears before I notice it and can read any more than the first line. I don't know if it is indicating a temperature issue, traction issues, clutch problem, dissatisfaction with the fact that manual transmissions are not to be included on the C8, or what. And most of the time (maybe 5 total in 2,500 miles driving) it appears when I'm stopped.

Is there any GM documentation that lists ALL the messages that can be displayed on the center screen?
Old 05-22-2019, 04:13 PM
Quietbreaker
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 59 Posts

It might be the "Shift to fourth" message? Are you winding up through first with fairly light throttle? I am usually heavier on the throttle in first, so I see a message blip for a second about doing the skipshift thing, but it goes away almost immediately because I'm fairly leadfooted.
The following users liked this post:
VetteDoc311 (05-22-2019)
Old 05-22-2019, 04:27 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Checked for any code(s)?

Nature of these computerized vehicles when absent codes means not much can be done.
Not until message remains, anyway.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:01 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Quietbreaker
It might be the "Shift to fourth" message?
It also says something like "shift denied". And yes depending on how much throttle you apply the message might go away very quickly.
Next time see if your going from 1st into 2nd, that is the only time it will appear.

If there aren't any stored codes I wouldn't be too worried. If it was a real serious problem the check engine light would remain on.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:17 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Yeah I'm thinking you're seeing the 1-4 message. That fits. The easiest way to never see it again is to rev to 3000 before you shift 1 to 2. Everybody, including car, will be happier. Freaked me out the first coupla times it happened to me. What the hell happened to my torque??? But it was just a matter of learning the M7. Never happens to me any more--except this one stupid short round-about I hate SO much!

Last edited by mschuyler; 05-22-2019 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:26 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

"...it appears when I'm stopped." It is not going to be "skip-shift" when he's stopped. I HOPE!

4700 miles on my C7 St'ray and have never seen it or any other message, ever.

Now, on my C5 when still quite new, I got a flash of a message a couple times about who knows what when setting still. The dealer just happened to see it, too--once--but it never ever showed long enough for anyone to actually read it, and they had no clue--no codes set. In the intervening 17+ years I've never seen it again. But, maybe the next time I start the ol' sled, who knows?

As noted, if yours doesn't set a code the odds of anyone being able to do anything with it until something falls off are slim to zero. Drive on and see what happens... if anything.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:25 PM
VetteDoc311
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts

The fact that there is even a thing as a 1--> 4 shift thingy blows my mind. I just drive ride first gear > 20 mph then it goes away. then shift into 2nd. I feel like 1 --> 4 would lug the engine, not sure how that provides better " fuel economy" ... who the hell buys a vette and cares about fuel?
Old 05-23-2019, 09:01 AM
dave_2012_tt
Burning Brakes

Received 344 Likes on 207 Posts

with the great engine/exhaust sound of the c7 why would you shift before 4,000 RPM's?
Old 05-23-2019, 09:06 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII
It also says something like "shift denied".
It doesn't say this in an M7. You're Thinking A8.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:14 AM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDoc311
The fact that there is even a thing as a 1--> 4 shift thingy blows my mind.
It is effective during the EPA mandated city driving test cycle.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:42 AM
Quietbreaker
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
"...it appears when I'm stopped." It is not going to be "skip-shift" when he's stopped. I HOPE!

4700 miles on my C7 St'ray and have never seen it or any other message, ever.

Now, on my C5 when still quite new, I got a flash of a message a couple times about who knows what when setting still. The dealer just happened to see it, too--once--but it never ever showed long enough for anyone to actually read it, and they had no clue--no codes set. In the intervening 17+ years I've never seen it again. But, maybe the next time I start the ol' sled, who knows?

As noted, if yours doesn't set a code the odds of anyone being able to do anything with it until something falls off are slim to zero. Drive on and see what happens... if anything.
(facepalm) I completely blanked on the "when I'm stopped" part! That's on me!
Old 05-23-2019, 10:52 AM
monicatomokc
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by N875ED
Can someone with the M7 help me here?...I very occasionally get a message on the screen that starts out "Manual Transmission...." But it is displayed for such a short time, 3 seconds or less, that it disappears before I notice it and can read any more than the first line. I don't know if it is indicating a temperature issue, traction issues, clutch problem, dissatisfaction with the fact that manual transmissions are not to be included on the C8, or what. And most of the time (maybe 5 total in 2,500 miles driving) it appears when I'm stopped.

Is there any GM documentation that lists ALL the messages that can be displayed on the center screen?
First, maybe to help us narrow this down a bit, what model year do you have? This might be something new for newer models (2018/2019?). I have a 2014 and have not seen such a thing, but I'm usually not looking at the DIC very much when in motion except to glance down at my speed occasionally. Never seen such a thing at start-up or with the vehicle running and stopped either. Also, in my 2014 owners manual, Instrument and Controls section, Vehicle Messages section, it lists all the messages you can get in the DIC, and this one you are receiving is not listed. So my thought is that if this is a newer car, there might be something new in the software that is giving this information and those of us with earlier models wouldn't have this feature, what ever that might be.

Last edited by monicatomokc; 05-23-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:59 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,909 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Yeah I'm thinking you're seeing the 1-4 message. That fits. The easiest way to never see it again is to rev to 3000 before you shift 1 to 2. Everybody, including car, will be happier. Freaked me out the first coupla times it happened to me. What the hell happened to my torque??? But it was just a matter of learning the M7. Never happens to me any more--except this one stupid short round-about I hate SO much!
2200 RPM for me..... smooth as butter....
Old 05-23-2019, 12:18 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Received 336 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDoc311
The fact that there is even a thing as a 1--> 4 shift thingy blows my mind. I just drive ride first gear > 20 mph then it goes away. then shift into 2nd. I feel like 1 --> 4 would lug the engine, not sure how that provides better " fuel economy" ... who the hell buys a vette and cares about fuel?
GM had to implement that feature to meet federal fuel guidelines to avoid a gas guzzler tax. Too bad there isn't an easy way to disable it. Like you, I just accelerate past it.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:20 PM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Originally Posted by monicatomokc
First, maybe to help us narrow this down a bit, what model year do you have? This might be something new for newer models (2018/2019?). I have a 2014 and have not seen such a thing, but I'm usually not looking at the DIC very much when in motion except to glance down at my speed occasionally. Never seen such a thing at start-up or with the vehicle running and stopped either. Also, in my 2014 owners manual, Instrument and Controls section, Vehicle Messages section, it lists all the messages you can get in the DIC, and this one you are receiving is not listed. So my thought is that if this is a newer car, there might be something new in the software that is giving this information and those of us with earlier models wouldn't have this feature, what ever that might be.
I have a 2019 M7 and the only alert I get is the shift 1-4 message.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:14 AM
N875ED
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No, this is not the 1 -> 4 skip shift message...that does occur under light acceleration, warm engine, etc. This is a 2019 M7 Stingray, and the mystery message occurs with the clutch depressed and waiting to start moving. No tone to alert you to look. It has happened a couple times just prior to releasing the clutch in first gear after holding it down for 30 seconds or so (As in waiting for a traffic light to change green. Can you believe that...somebody actually NOT looking at their cell phone at a red light!)

All three times I've seen the message it disappears just after I read "Manual transmission blah, blah, blah...."
Old 06-03-2019, 10:36 AM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by N875ED
No, this is not the 1 -> 4 skip shift message...that does occur under light acceleration, warm engine, etc. This is a 2019 M7 Stingray, and the mystery message occurs with the clutch depressed and waiting to start moving. No tone to alert you to look. It has happened a couple times just prior to releasing the clutch in first gear after holding it down for 30 seconds or so (As in waiting for a traffic light to change green. Can you believe that...somebody actually NOT looking at their cell phone at a red light!)

All three times I've seen the message it disappears just after I read "Manual transmission blah, blah, blah...."
Saw the same thing one time on my new 2019 M7 Z06. Couldn't read past "Manual transmission...." as it disappeared almost as soon as it appeared. I have had the car almost two weeks now and only saw it once. So you're not imagining it. This is not 1->4 skip shift message.

Get notified of new replies

To 7MT dash display alert

Old 06-03-2019, 10:41 AM
TNSQUIRE
Drifting

Have you connected a code reader to see if it stored a code?
Old 06-03-2019, 12:48 PM
Bubbletop409
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by TNSQUIRE
GM had to implement that feature to meet federal fuel guidelines to avoid a gas guzzler tax. Too bad there isn't an easy way to disable it. Like you, I just accelerate past it.
You can put the 1-4 shift eliminator on the tranny and be done with it and shift at any RPM.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:28 PM
Z06_Ruff
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 174 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

I have not noticed this message on my car. Curios to find out what this could be.

Quick Reply: 7MT dash display alert