C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 yr add-on to bumper to bumper when purchased new? Also wheel and tire insurance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 05:47 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Default 2 yr add-on to bumper to bumper when purchased new? Also wheel and tire insurance?

Just curious what the dealers have been hitting some of you off with for the wheel protection.. how long and how much? also are there any cosmetic plans or are they just structural? i just ordered a 19 and when it comes in i'll be in the office with the guy.. making a decision I will try to make it while "informed" lol

Also, i know GM has this option that you ONLY get one chance at doing when you pick the new car up, an added 2yrs to the 3/36.. How much are new C7 owners paying for that? I believe that is a "set price" correct? or no?

Obviously the Wheel/Tire thing is gonna be all over the place but have to ask..

thanks in advance for any insight.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:56 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Bob,

one used to be able to also add the extended GM warranty (now known as GMEPP ?) right before the original 3/36 expired.
Is this no longer the case ?

Gary

Last edited by Gary '09 C6; 06-23-2019 at 09:56 PM. Reason: sp
Old 06-23-2019, 10:16 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

No. That is still available.

There's an option now that when you purchase a new gm vehicle you can add to your existing bumper to bumper. I believe its 2yrs 24k miles on top of the 3/36.

I am curious on a C7 how much GM is getting for that option. Now.

If you leave the dealership and return a day later you cannot get it... that's how strict it is.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 06-23-2019 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:38 PM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

I will have to look at my paperwork 16/C7Z. I bought my 19 Z06 in November 2018 and took the extended warranty plus on the wheels and tires. Soon as I get a chance to look at my paperwork I can let you know what I paid. Unfortunately not home at this time.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:59 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Originally Posted by ZO6 cracker
I will have to look at my paperwork 16/C7Z. I bought my 19 Z06 in November 2018 and took the extended warranty plus on the wheels and tires. Soon as I get a chance to look at my paperwork I can let you know what I paid. Unfortunately not home at this time.
Thanks Crscker.. I'm going to just assume the extra 2yr bumper to bumper being closer to if not the $2k side of that spread lol.

The wheel tire insurance length and cost and any bs loopholes) is what will be up in air. I already think I made my mind up to get the extra 2yrs tacked onto the bumper to bumper. I mean it's almost double the bumper to bumper warranty comes with the car..
Old 06-23-2019, 11:16 PM
runner61627
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 256 Posts

The GM tire and wheel with cosmetic coverage for 60 months was $1200 from MacMulkin. It was slightly ($100?) less from Dennis Fichtner.
Important to note the contract states for the cosmetic portion that alloy wheels will be repaired, but the coverage will not pay for replacement.
I originally purchased the Tire and Wheel, but opted to cancel within 60 days (full refund) and instead purchased monoblock forged wheels based on numerous reports of bent/cracked GS/Z06 wheels. Didn’t want to worry about the apparently problematic wheels and repetitive repairs....
The following 2 users liked this post by runner61627:
23/C8Z (06-25-2019), beaversstonehaven (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 08:13 AM
ZO6 cracker
Drifting

Received 693 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Thanks Crscker.. I'm going to just assume the extra 2yr bumper to bumper being closer to if not the $2k side of that spread lol.

The wheel tire insurance length and cost and any bs loopholes) is what will be up in air. I already think I made my mind up to get the extra 2yrs tacked onto the bumper to bumper. I mean it's almost double the bumper to bumper warranty comes with the car..
Hi 16/C7Z ,
Checked on my paper work. You are close enough on the extra 2 years. Also my wheel and tire was the same as the other posting $1299.00 But I took it because it covers the wheel replacement if it cannot be fixed. My dealership recommended because they had past issues with wheels cracking I was told from my salesman. My contract states if a wheel needs to be replaced they will. I know you read posts on here guys having issues with dealerships but I don’t see having a issue if something happens to a wheel. Also I took it because all the issues you read about. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
23/C8Z (06-25-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 10:42 AM
2ZORNOT2Z
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 259 Posts

I didn't do the extended warranty because I plan to mod mine down the road but I did get the wheel/tire. My wheel/tire was not through GM, was $1600, lasts 5 years and has $0 deductible. That last part is a good question to ask - what is the deductible. Also a good question to ask is how many wheel replacements before you are maxed out on coverage. I can replace up to 6 wheels supposedly. Hopefully I don't need to do that but, given a single forged wheel/tire will cost more than $1600 (especially the rears), I chose to go the route of buying insurance just to see if I have issues or not. I may end up buying forged wheels with all-season tires for winter months when it's pothole season around here anyway but don't have to decide to do that right now.
23/C8Z (06-25-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 02:56 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Someone correct me, but I've read on here w/in the last few months or so that (some of) the wheel and tire policy will allow for replacement once, but not more. Thus, if you're in an area that's severely road-challenged, and it happens a second time (meaning, non-repairable, and not just paint and straighten)---then what do you do? Maybe you've had 1 wheel or combo tire/wheel replaced, it's happened again, and now you have to pay out of pocket for a new one, go repro, or go all out and buy 4 forged wheels?????

If that really is the case---once only for replacement---I'd need to do a cost analysis. Granted, a new, OE wheel + tire would most likely be more than $1200. But it could also be $1200 toward a different, stronger set of wheels some time later on.

Note: on the 2 year add on to 3/36 I have no comments, but I do know that in the relatively recent past, just about all mfrs. are giving dealers (I guess I'd call it an "extra") another way to make some money, both on new cars and CPO or used cars. As written above, they have these "today-only" warranty extension deals, and it seems they mean only today. Plus, it isn't some bogus, aftermarket insurance or fly by night operator. It isn't cheap, but "insurance" of any kind usually isn't cheap---it's just how much are you willing to pay for peace of mind, if you need that at all. It's been a few years but one CPO F&I person offered me an added 80K miles on top of the mileage on the factory powertrain, not on the in-service, not on the miles on the car that day. Was good, but not cheap.

Last edited by AORoads; 06-24-2019 at 03:02 PM.
23/C8Z (06-25-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 03:52 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

I do like the idea of the GM 2 year B2B extension warranty, and since it is up to each individual dealer to set the price, I would offer the dealer 1K for the two years extra coverage. Everything is negotiable. If you get a 3LT or 3LZ package, and the leather bubbles, delaminates, or shrinks on the dash or you have seat cover issues, the warranty would cover it....no so with the GMEPP coverage.
Old 06-24-2019, 04:21 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

For the wheel tire insurance really think about that before you buy it. First of all, read the fine print, like will they replace or repair wheels and how many times will they do it, like others have mentioned. Then look up the posts about the wheel problems this car has and see how people are waiting for replacement wheels to become available while their car sits, and the problems they have dealing with the dealers in getting their wheels fixed or replaced. It's a shame that a customer has to worry about their wheels on a brand new car that costs 70k plus, but that's how it is in this situation. I opted to just see if the wheels hold up and if they don't I'm replacing them with forged rather than going through this problem over and over again with the garbage OEM wheels. Thanks a lot GM, I'll be thinking about this when I buy my next car(s).
Old 06-25-2019, 12:00 AM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

so let's say the above 2 yrs/24K mi's extra B-to-B coverage costs $2,000...

a 4-yr/40K mi. GMEPP added at the end of the original 3yrs /36K mi. period (with under 20K mi's on car) likely costs about $2,000+/- ?
(not B-to-B, but covers power train, some major components, and MSRC shocks)

the latter could be a better value with not significantly more risk ? FYI that is the route I went when I bought my car new in Feb. '11

can't comment on the wheel & tire insurance...
23/C8Z (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 08:43 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Originally Posted by c54u
I do like the idea of the GM 2 year B2B extension warranty, and since it is up to each individual dealer to set the price, I would offer the dealer 1K for the two years extra coverage. Everything is negotiable. If you get a 3LT or 3LZ package, and the leather bubbles, delaminates, or shrinks on the dash or you have seat cover issues, the warranty would cover it....no so with the GMEPP coverage.
for me, I will really have a tough time passing on the B2B 2yr extension if it's in the 1750 or so range doing the math in my head, for 800 bucks or under 70/mo for those 2 years, I get to walk in and leave the car, get a loaner? no deductible? no hassle "gm fix it like it's still new... " in year 4 and 5 that's a nice option.

my other question is what do I get at end of year 5? Can I THEN get GMEPP? Or do I have to get it before 3/36 if I have a 5/60 B2B?

as for the dash peeling etc. I communicated with a Manager at the plant whom i was lucky enough to befriend a couple of years ago. He advised me that i shouldnt base my order on the dash. The issue had been addressed

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
so let's say the above 2 yrs/24K mi's extra B-to-B coverage costs $2,000...

a 4-yr/40K mi. GMEPP added at the end of the original 3yrs /36K mi. period (with under 20K mi's on car) likely costs about $2,000+/- ?
(not B-to-B, but covers power train, some major components, and MSRC shocks)

the latter could be a better value with not significantly more risk ? FYI that is the route I went when I bought my car new in Feb. '11

can't comment on the wheel & tire insurance...
Gary, the price I got quoted on the 84mo 48k mile platinum is insane. It was about 2250 zero Deductible GMEPP.. around 1850 or so for same with 100 deductoble per visit.

I would like to do both. Get the added B2B and then the extended. I will find out when I sit with Finance guy... in a Month or so i guess.

Also, I believe the GM added 2yr B2B is set price by GM based on model?

Have to ask one of these more knowledgable people. I actually have access to gm global connect through a buddy I wonder if I can navigate that to find it?

As for the wheel and tire package?

I will beat them up about it and take it if it is what i feel dirt cheap.

if it isn't? I'll just get forged wheels or something else and see what happens.

The 10 spoke blade wheels I have now are fantastic and everyone i speak to about those wheels has no issue with cracking (they get pretty sandblasted way more than the tightly spaced design of the original Z06 if this gen wheel), but the silver pearl color of the wheels I have now hides it to good extent.

Thanks to everyone who replied. Good info!

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 06-25-2019 at 08:48 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2 yr add-on to bumper to bumper when purchased new? Also wheel and tire insurance?

Quick Reply: 2 yr add-on to bumper to bumper when purchased new? Also wheel and tire insurance?