Sponsored by:

My V1 custom hard mount

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 11:05 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts
Default My V1 custom hard mount

I love my V1, and bought one for my ZR1 before I even got the car. Finding a mounting spot was tricky though. I didn't want to compromise visibility any more than necessary, and I have to be able to reach it easily to mute it while driving. I ruled out conventional mirror mounts due to the former, and a dash or low-window mount in front of the hood bulge due to the latter. And I would prefer not to add any new holes to the car if possible. So I decided on mounting it to the left of the mirror using the vent slats as holes to feed machine screws to washers that would distribute load. Aside from slight possible deformation of a couple vent slats it is completely reversible.

The first step was to remove the cover plate behind mirror, and the little cover clipped onto the back side of the mirror.

V1 mount clip, supplied with the V1. Drilled two holes, and used 3M tape to shim it so it would be relatively level once the cover plate was re-installed.

Then I fed the screws (had to cut them down with a hacksaw) in from the bottom with washers to distribute load with lock washers under the nuts.

The finished installation (sorry the mediocre pics) leaves most of the C7's visibility intact. Most critically it does not interrupt the sight line going below the mirror.

The driver's view out the front:

I used this wire tap from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PMDWSVD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PMDWSVD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It installed just as advertised.

Last edited by Palantirion; 07-02-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:57 AM
subieworx
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 94 Posts

I'd run some larger washers on that or a metal plate that can expand outwards beyond the slats you currently have it mounted on.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:10 PM
Palantirion
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by subieworx
I'd run some larger washers on that or a metal plate that can expand outwards beyond the slats you currently have it mounted on.
-That is a good idea, and something I could do pretty easily. I also might alter the tape shim to square up the V1 case slightly. What I posted was a quick-and-dirty proof of concept. Oh, and it isn't clear in the pics but the front screw's washer tightens very solidly to the plastic cover - not just the vent slats. So it carries most of the load, the rear screw just serves to keep the alignment. I'm going to run it as-is for a little while and if anything loosens of shifts then I'll revisit the hardware.

Get notified of new replies

To My V1 custom hard mount

Quick Reply: My V1 custom hard mount