Sponsored by:

PDR question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 09:02 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Default PDR question

If you set the performance data recorder with no overlay whatsoever, is some of the optional overlay information still available/recorded somewhere in the car? In other words, if I didn't want my speed seen from the visual recording overlay, could a dealer for example still pull that info from the PDR or even from somewhere else in the car? (And yes, I realize one can get a rough idea of the speed by timing the rate of passage of physical milestones on the road, if those can be seen/identified)
Old 07-07-2019, 09:06 PM
scuba pro
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

All that information is on the SD card, I do not know if they would be able to get that without the card though.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:13 PM
MCK_Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Yeah, telemetry is recorded if you use the overlay or not.
You need to put the SD card in a PC running an application that can see it though, otherwise it just looks like a video file.

Why not just back it up somewhere other than the SD card its on and erase the one in the car if you are worried about someone looking at it?
Old 07-07-2019, 11:56 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Why do you care whether the dealer sees it or not? That doesn't do anything to block any part of the warranty. My dealer sees plenty of my 150+mph runs around various tracks every year.

Bill
Old 07-08-2019, 04:33 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Why do you care whether the dealer sees it or not? That doesn't do anything to block any part of the warranty. My dealer sees plenty of my 150+mph runs around various tracks every year.

Bill
I never said anything about not wanting a dealer to see it. I was thinking if anyone can pull the information out--if it's possible in the first place--it would be a dealer.
Rather, I am more concerned about it being used to establish that I was driving fast if someone cuts in front of me and I want to show them at fault. I don't track the car, but I use the PDR as a dash cam.

So, is it that other file in each pair...not the mp4 but the smaller one..that contains the telemetry info?
Old 07-08-2019, 05:01 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Originally Posted by IAIA

So, is it that other file in each pair...not the mp4 but the smaller one..that contains the telemetry info?

I don't think so, the other file is just a small image to show the thumbnail when bringing up the videos to replay on the PDR.

I only load the actual video in the Cosworth software and it has all the info, so it's likely stored as metadata in the video file.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:03 PM
MCK_Z06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

I never said anything about not wanting a dealer to see it. I was thinking if anyone can pull the information out--if it's possible in the first place--it would be a dealer.
Rather, I am more concerned about it being used to establish that I was driving fast if someone cuts in front of me and I want to show them at fault. I don't track the car, but I use the PDR as a dash cam.

No, I think its embedded in the mpeg. The small file is a thumbnail photo if I remember off the top of my head and the .gpx file is specific data about a race track.
So if you just pop the SD card for the PDR out and put it in your pocket the data can't be had... that being said though if you get into an accident that data is recorded in a built-in module that can be accessed by your insurance company or whoever has the correct tool to access it. (Maybe even On-Star remotely.)
Basically you can easily pocket any video evidence & telemetry you may have recorded but the information that's recorded in a significant accident is not so easy to get rid of... on any modern vehicle really
Old 07-08-2019, 05:11 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Former Moderator

in fact, I opened the mp4 in a text editor, and at the end of the file, there are sections for the following:

Boost Pressure Ind
Coolant Temp
Intake Boost Pressure
Oil Pressure
Oil Temp
RPM
Accel Pos
Clutch Pos
Brake Pos
Tyre Pressures (all four)
Tyre temps (all four)
Gear
Trans Oil Temp
Fuel Level
Fuel Capactiy
Steering Angle
Distance
Speed
ABS Active
Traction Control Active
Vehicle Stability Active
Corner Exit Setting
Driver Performance Mode
Speed Request Intervention
Speed Control Response
Engine Speed Request
Engine Torqure Req
Battery Voltage
Lateral Acceleration
Longitudinal Acceleration
Vertical Acceleration
Latitude
Longitude
Altitude
Heading
GPS Fix
Beacon
CPU User
CPU System
CPU Free
CPU IO
CPU IRQ
Disk Read Rate
Disk Read Operations
Disk Read Time
Disk Write Rate
Disk Write Operations
Disk Write Time
Recording Event Odometer

so, lots of info in the video file.
The following users liked this post:
IAIA (07-09-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 07:26 PM
chuckrbt
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

The PDR is not your enemy on this. If the police think you are speeding, they can read your "black Box" and get that information. It has nothing to do with the PDR - the data comes from your OBD port. I have been told that the police don't need to get a warrant to download your data. You might want to confirm that if you know a lawyer.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:02 AM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 560 Likes on 362 Posts

From what I've read, the black box only saves a short amount of time - like 5 seconds before an air bag deployment. If so, police (or insurance companies) couldn't get much information from it.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:31 AM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Just to be clear....nothing has happened (yet) that I'm trying to cover up. I was just wondering about what's actually on the SD card with no overlay in case I need to use it to show bonehead moves by other drivers when I'm going even 5-10 mph over the limit. Someone above mentioned copying the file onto a computer, but I can't see how that changes the file at all.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:47 AM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Former Moderator

Just to be clear....nothing has happened (yet) that I'm trying to cover up. I was just wondering about what's actually on the SD card with no overlay in case I need to use it to show bonehead moves by other drivers when I'm going even 5-10 mph over the limit. Someone above mentioned copying the file onto a computer, but I can't see how that changes the file at all.
in this case, what you can do is save the video to a computer, and use some other video software to edit the video and save a new file. This should remove the stored information. Uploading to youtube would also remove the data and only show the video information.
Old 07-09-2019, 11:23 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

OP - I've thought about this as well. I use my PDR as a dashcam often times. In cases where I'm over the speed limit (as is every other car), could that be used against me? The cops probably wouldn't care, but the insurance company might. Good advice above on how to delete that data.

Get notified of new replies

To PDR question

Quick Reply: PDR question