Sponsored by:

Projection icon

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 12:52 PM
slburgie
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Projection icon

Just what is that icon for on the center screen. It says I must connect to it but doesn't say what. All the other icons, PDR, front cameras and rear cameras work fine. 2019 GS

Last edited by slburgie; 04-19-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2020, 01:01 PM
DPC57
Pro

Received 323 Likes on 141 Posts

Connect your iPhone with car play, or your Android phone with Android auto using a USB cable to the connection in the center console.
The following users liked this post:
blkvet6 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 02:51 PM
slburgie
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts

thanks
Old 04-19-2020, 03:11 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Don't forget to download the Android Auto app (or Carplay app for iPeople). Also, use a USB data cable, not a USB power-only cable. How do you tell the difference? Connect the cable to your PC. If you see a way to mount the phone's file system then you have a data cable. And make sure you've paired your phone via Bluetooth to the car. Once you've done that you should see the Projection Icon change. Tap that.

For Android Auto, see https://www.android.com/auto/. For instructions on how to use Carplay... ask iPeople.
blkvet6 (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 04:11 PM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Received 689 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria
(or Carplay app for iPeople).

For instructions on how to use Carplay... ask iPeople.
First instruction is that there is no app. CarPlay is baked into iOS.
Old 04-19-2020, 04:43 PM
RWDonly
Racer

Received 255 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRobSJ
Android Auto is “baked in” to the latest version of Android as well. For older versions of Android, the phone should automatically launch the installation for AA if it is not already installed on the phone.
Old 04-19-2020, 08:52 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Being "backed in" does not make is a non-app. It's still an app as in an application. It's just included by default.

And I'm so sorry I didn't know this but I don't have, nor want, an iPhone. Hell, even my MacBook runs Linux!
Old 04-19-2020, 08:56 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RWDonly
Android Auto is “baked in” to the latest version of Android as well. For older versions of Android, the phone should automatically launch the installation for AA if it is not already installed on the phone.
Really? This is news to me. Now granted, I always install AA and IIRC I installed AA on my S10+ when I got it. I don't believe that AA is backed in. In fact, it says I can uninstall it and I don't think you usually can uninstall backed in apps.
Old 04-19-2020, 09:40 PM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

Being "backed in" does not make is a non-app. It's still an app as in an application. It's just included by default.

And I'm so sorry I didn't know this but I don't have, nor want, an iPhone. Hell, even my MacBook runs Linux!
Oooo sorry if I hit a nerve. The Apple vs Google thing must be war fought tooth and nail for you.

But if you want nothing to do with Apple, then perhaps don’t offer any advice at all about them...especially if it’s going to be wrong.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:56 PM
defaria
Safety Car

First off, you hit no nerve. There is no war. There's a lot of assumptions on your part though.

I don't need to have Apple products to comment on them (though I do have a MacBook as I said). And I didn't offer any wrong advice either. I merely stated that iPeople use Carplay and you should check with them.

Meantime you should check your own thoughts about nerves and wars as you sure seem to be slinging arrows for no particular reason.
Old 04-19-2020, 11:03 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,549 Likes on 14,107 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sadly, no Apple Car Play on my '14. Oh well, that's the breaks.
Old 04-20-2020, 02:38 AM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

First off, you hit no nerve. There is no war. There's a lot of assumptions on your part though.

I don't need to have Apple products to comment on them (though I do have a MacBook as I said). And I didn't offer any wrong advice either.
Typical Internet forum behavior. It’s ok. Plenty of other people do it. Someone talks out of their ***, gets corrected by someone who knows better, and then they get huffy about it. Been seeing it for as long as the Internet has been around and will continue to see it till the end of time.

You did offer wrong advice. You said they need to download the Android Auto app or CarPlay app. If someone followed your advice they’d be looking on the Apple App Store for something that doesn’t exist.

Oh and since you hate being corrected...

It’s not an app. It’s an API that’s part of the operating system that allows you to access apps.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:00 AM
defaria
Safety Car

It’s not an app. It’s an API that’s part of the operating system that allows you to access apps.
It's an app - period. It's not part of an OS. And OS is the software that supports a computer's basic functions, such as scheduling tasks, executing applications, and controlling peripherals. Thus the OS controls the hardware, allocating memory, managing processing and the like. Carplay is one of those processes. It's part of a distribution of apps that are apparently included with the base package but that doesn't make Carplay anything more than an app. It's not an API. And API a set of functions and procedures allowing the creation of applications that access the features or data of an operating system, application, or other services. An API by itself does nothing unless a process, an app, exercises it. An API is a definition of how an *app* can interface with an OS or a library. By itself, it doesn't run anything, rather it's a definition of how an app can use its functionality.

I admit I didn't know that Carplay came backed in. Sue me!
Old 04-20-2020, 11:10 AM
MikeBravo56
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I guess everyone is getting a little stir crazy sitting at home. My question is. What does the projection app do?
Old 04-20-2020, 11:35 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,836 Posts

^^^
Ya im getting tired of being in my house. The projection icon is basically a placeholder until you plug your phone in. Then the icon changes based on your phone (Android, Apple....) so you can use AA or Carplay.
MikeBravo56 (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 11:39 AM
defaria
Safety Car

If by projection app you mean Android Auto (I will refrain from talking about Carplay as it seems to cause iPeople to get their iPanties in an iPad...) which runs on your phone and communicates to your car via a USB data cable. You can find out all about it at https://www.android.com/auto/. Basically it puts Google Maps (or Waze) on your 7-inch screen with some limited functionality for safety reasons. It also integrates interaction with phone calls as well as provides a touch screen interface to media players like Google Music, Spotify, etc. and podcast type apps - BeyondPod, Podcast Addict, Stitcher, etc. Finally, it allows you to send and receive text messages. It's really quite convenient.
MikeBravo56 (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 12:55 PM
TheRobSJ
Drifting

It's an app - period. It's not part of an OS. And OS is the software that supports a computer's basic functions, such as scheduling tasks, executing applications, and controlling peripherals. Thus the OS controls the hardware, allocating memory, managing processing and the like. Carplay is one of those processes. It's part of a distribution of apps that are apparently included with the base package but that doesn't make Carplay anything more than an app. It's not an API. And API a set of functions and procedures allowing the creation of applications that access the features or data of an operating system, application, or other services. An API by itself does nothing unless a process, an app, exercises it. An API is a definition of how an *app* can interface with an OS or a library. By itself, it doesn't run anything, rather it's a definition of how an app can use its functionality.

I admit I didn't know that Carplay came backed in. Sue me!
Don’t feel like googling and looking into this anymore. You think it’s an app, I think it’s a protocol and user interface. If I still give a crap about this issue when quarantine is over and I’m back to work (probably won’t), if I remember I’ll ask some of my clients who do actually work in the software side of things at Google and Apple exactly how it’s classified. And if I’m wrong, I’ll bump this thread and eat crow.

Get notified of new replies

To Projection icon

Old 04-20-2020, 05:35 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Don’t feel like googling and looking into this anymore.
That's OK - I did it for you. My definitions of OS and API are from the web. They are the definition of these terms.

You think it’s an app, I think it’s a protocol and user interface.
You can think that if you want - you'd just be wrong.

If I still give a crap about this issue when quarantine is over and I’m back to work (probably won’t), if I remember I’ll ask some of my clients who do actually work in the software side of things at Google and Apple exactly how it’s classified. And if I’m wrong, I’ll bump this thread and eat crow.
Have you ever installed different distros of Linux? How about installed different ROMs on your phone? If you did you'd notice something quickly. Different distros and ROMs have different sets of applications. But how can that be if they are OSes? I mean how could one OS that is Linux have a different set of programs you can run than another? How can different ROMs give you different dialers and other apps if they are all Android? The answer is that such things are not just OSes rather they are OSes that are bundled with different apps. As such the apps are apps and not part of the OS but part of the distribution.

Again, the OS, by definition, is "the software that supports a computer's basic functions, such as scheduling tasks, executing applications, and controlling peripherals". By that definition, Carplay and AA are apps as they are not responsible for scheduling tasks, executing applications and controlling peripherals. They do those things by making calls to the OS.
Old 04-20-2020, 07:34 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Guys, no one cares.

Take it to PMs if you need to keep bickering.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:54 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Elk
Guys, no one cares.

Take it to PMs if you need to keep bickering.
Why? Are you incapable of simply not reading posts you're not interested in?

Quick Reply: Projection icon