Sponsored by:

Prototype C7 KnightDriveTV MAX-Din Full Console Screen Preview

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 03:16 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,347 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Default Prototype C7 KnightDriveTV MAX-Din Full Console Screen Preview

Some of you may know of me from C5/C6. This unit has been developed as a single unit, proof of concept. I cant divulge too many details right now, but you wont see this anywhere.

This is a very large IPS unit, fully integrated into the C7, plug and play. The intent is to integrate all functions, android auto/carplay wireless, etc.

Retail on this would be 2590.00, but a group buy reduction is possible.

Last edited by KnightDriveTV; 01-12-2024 at 03:31 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by KnightDriveTV:
CPB (01-12-2024), Lord Gray Hair (01-12-2024), mdolandese (01-16-2024), racerx3317 (01-17-2024), StayinStock (01-12-2024), Vader_C5 (01-14-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

02-07-2024, 03:04 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

UPDATES: Test car arriving on Saturday for full system test and video ahead.

You're seeing here first on this forum...

Old 01-12-2024, 06:14 AM
Lux
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

That is awesome.
The following users liked this post:
RonR80 (02-09-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 08:00 AM
StayinStock
Safety Car

Received 3,443 Likes on 1,681 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Glad to see this! killing it as always man!
Old 01-12-2024, 09:03 AM
2019GSTX
Lurker

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 576 Likes on 357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20

Very cool...definitely one of a kind.
Following progress
Thanks for the teaser shots
RonR80 (02-09-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 09:06 AM
CPB
Pro

Received 269 Likes on 184 Posts

Seems cool, but elimination of physical HVAC seems like a downer. The presence of a volume **** is great.

Would PDR work? All the chinese can-bus android auto systems I have seen can do a lot, but do not have the GM applications cloned into them.
^&right (01-13-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 11:36 AM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by CPB
Seems cool, but elimination of physical HVAC seems like a downer. The presence of a volume **** is great.

Would PDR work? All the chinese can-bus android auto systems I have seen can do a lot, but do not have the GM applications cloned into them.
A lot of systems have been done on their end, but the plan would be to continue to develop on my end. I am debating how to proceed because the costs are rising.

My other MaxDin products are developed by a different company, and we very much co-developed those. This situation is a bit different, but I am positioned with exclusivity. I have to extensively test functionality and then start to work through the system, for various improvements/bugs/logic details, etc.

I really was just curious what peoples feedback was and to determine if I want to move forward.
The following 4 users liked this post by KnightDriveTV:
CPB (01-12-2024), Flattman (01-12-2024), miami08VETTE (01-12-2024), StayinStock (01-12-2024)
Old 01-12-2024, 02:08 PM
jerkyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 186 Likes on 84 Posts

I like it a lot and would defintely be interested if it became reality at around that pricing
Old 01-12-2024, 03:26 PM
tarunpatel
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree I love the setup and would consider purchasing if these was available after everything working and tested~!
Old 01-12-2024, 03:35 PM
bradNTx
Le Mans Master

Received 117 Likes on 46 Posts

I would be interested if I could go back to stock with the same effort as the install. My limited experience with Chinese retrofit kits is that they don't hold up to daily use over time and you wind up wishing for the OE system to regain lost functionality.
Old 01-12-2024, 04:05 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by bradNTx
I would be interested if I could go back to stock with the same effort as the install. My limited experience with Chinese retrofit kits is that they don't hold up to daily use over time and you wind up wishing for the OE system to regain lost functionality.
Well, we should speak in realistic terminology here. The oem screens in the C7 are chinese made, just like the wheels, etc, so it really depends on what company, what core os is used and of course if the unit is supported and warrantied by someone who can stand by the product.
The following 2 users liked this post by KnightDriveTV:
Lux (02-14-2024), miami08VETTE (01-13-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 12:19 AM
Pineapple
Burning Brakes

Received 800 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by KnightDriveTV
Well, we should speak in realistic terminology here. The oem screens in the C7 are chinese made, just like the wheels, etc, so it really depends on what company, what core os is used and of course if the unit is supported and warrantied by someone who can stand by the product.
The LCD panel itself on the stock C7 may be Chinese sourced but the entirety of the infortainment system, both hardware and software are designed by GM. The individual components are then sourced from various suppliers but are built to GM’s standards, including validation, adherence to quality standards (UL, IPC, IATF) and audits to make sure these suppliers aren’t cutting corners.

Most people here would assume your kit is designed and manufactured by a 3rd party Chinese company as many of the Android based full infotainment replacements are. It looks like you’re working with a Chinese ODM who provides the full system and you’re perhaps private labeling it only. Are you saying your solution is made in China but designed (reverse engineering of GM systems, R&D, PCB design/validation) is NOT from China? If so that would for sure be a good thing but I don’t think that’s the case.
Old 01-13-2024, 04:35 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Pineapple
The LCD panel itself on the stock C7 may be Chinese sourced but the entirety of the infortainment system, both hardware and software are designed by GM. The individual components are then sourced from various suppliers but are built to GM’s standards, including validation, adherence to quality standards (UL, IPC, IATF) and audits to make sure these suppliers aren’t cutting corners.

Most people here would assume your kit is designed and manufactured by a 3rd party Chinese company as many of the Android based full infotainment replacements are. It looks like you’re working with a Chinese ODM who provides the full system and you’re perhaps private labeling it only. Are you saying your solution is made in China but designed (reverse engineering of GM systems, R&D, PCB design/validation) is NOT from China? If so that would for sure be a good thing but I don’t think that’s the case.
I really dont understand this debate that arises frequently around screens. Tons of aftermarket parts sold, have chinese involvment. CNC parts, full products may be assembled here but use chinese delivered components...this is business today, this is the environment today.

I am presenting a product via a clear partnership because there are expertise required to create something like this. If you want to do it on a low volume scale, then US based manufacturing isnt going to happen.

The best case scenario, is the unit can be made by a manufacturer whose business are products like this, then combine thise resources with my company, who can deliver the customer service, support, beta testing and ongoing development. Its the best hope of seeing certain products brought to market.

This particular product has me in a different position than the other units I sell, because I was much more integral into the development of the C5 and C6 units. I also was at SEMA representing this process. This company approached me on the C7 unit as a potential US partner, but I made it clear there are certain standards and requirements that I have, in order to do business with them. I wont tolerate many things, I demand certain things, and thats it. I do this in order to maintain the best interest of the community first, and thats it.

Inevitably, this product will come to market. Many companies selling many products will "warranty" whatever, because they buy units by the container and rebox/reship. This arrangement would be much different, which allows for ongoing product support, ongoing development, etc all direct and exclusive to my brand because I have specific resources.

I hope this adequately answers the question so real feedback can be sought out versus this chinese debate circle.

In closing, I will also point out that while GM North America has some level of software development and integration involvement, I can guarantee you that china (such as entities like SAIC-GM Shanghai and preceeding contractual chinese based partners) is deeply involved in that aspect as well. There is no getting around this, period.
The following 3 users liked this post by KnightDriveTV:
corvettezman (01-13-2024), CPB (01-13-2024), miami08VETTE (01-13-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 08:34 PM
^&right
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 189 Posts

Pardon me, I'm unfamiliar with your work, but what does this offer, for $3k, the factory system doesn't?
Woodson (01-14-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 08:58 PM
St.Char
Melting Slicks

Received 302 Likes on 172 Posts

Looks like a great setup, I say bring it to market.
KnightDriveTV (01-13-2024)
Old 01-13-2024, 08:59 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by ^&right
Pardon me, I'm unfamiliar with your work, but what does this offer, for $3k, the factory system doesn't?
The price is projected at 2500.00 or potentially less, with a volume prebuy. I'm not sure where the 3000.00 number stems from.

Wireless carplay/android auto, custom interfaces, birdseye view capability is possible, movies/storage, a much larger screen area, screen space for datalogging/split screen, etc.
Old 01-13-2024, 09:44 PM
^&right
Burning Brakes

Received 401 Likes on 189 Posts

Pardon me, I misread your original post as $2990
KnightDriveTV (01-15-2024)
Old 01-14-2024, 09:15 AM
bradNTx
Le Mans Master

Received 117 Likes on 46 Posts

My question wasn't intended to start a **** storm. Without going into my understanding of quality of small batch Chinese manufacturing I am just trying to find out if I can reverse the install and get it back to stock should the need arise using my original parts.
For the record I have seen many brand name aftermarket HU's die an early death and if they are outside of warranty you are SOL. Companies go under, parts go obsolete. I promise I wasn't trying to knock your work or your company. I know nothing about either. I salute your efforts to try to bring something to market. I know it's not easy and to be honest I have to believe Corvette customers are probably some of the most picky out there (though stuff I read on the Lexus forums could be worse). You are taking on quite a task for what is probably not that much profit at the end of the day and wish you much success.

Get notified of new replies

To Prototype C7 KnightDriveTV MAX-Din Full Console Screen Preview

Old 01-15-2024, 01:03 PM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 839 Likes on 467 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Would your system retain the Sirius XM platform?
Most Chinese aftermarket devices do not as this platform is not available in China.
Old 01-15-2024, 08:37 PM
CPB
Pro

Received 269 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettezman
Would your system retain the Sirius XM platform?
Most Chinese aftermarket devices do not as this platform is not available in China.
If it cannot use the SiriusXM antenna, then you could install the application onto the headunit or alternatively run it from the phone over wireless android auto or carplay.
Old 01-15-2024, 09:43 PM
VinceC5
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 285 Posts

Interesting. What are your thoughts on the audio output side? Will it interface directly with after market DSP units or will the factory processors need to stay in place? What Bluetooth chip set will it have?

Quick Reply: Prototype C7 KnightDriveTV MAX-Din Full Console Screen Preview