Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed new battery now having issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2024, 07:39 PM
RacerRik
Burning Brakes

Received 477 Likes on 274 Posts

What exactly does that infamous little black wire do?
Old 04-26-2024, 07:43 PM
RacerRik
Burning Brakes

Received 477 Likes on 274 Posts

I recently changed my battery and made sure all connections were exactly as original. I still ended up with warnings about windows, TPMS reading "--" and most concerning, the transmission was shifting poorly. All problems worked themselves out after a few drives.
Old 04-26-2024, 08:39 PM
Citation
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerRik
What exactly does that infamous little black wire do?
It’s a ground for electronics.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:29 PM
Raggaemon
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've taken my C7 to the local dealer twice, they checked the axle for mechanical issues, fluid level, as well as examining the full length of the wire harness, they came across a small amount of corrosion on two of the wire harness connectors at the rear of the car which were replaced, the battery cable had intermittent electrical shorts, they replaced the positive and negative post connectors along with the thin black ground wire, they tightened everything securely. The Service Rear Axle message appears after driving a few miles, it never happens on start-up, and it clears after I press the SEL bottom on the steering wheel, until the next time I drive it. So for it's not resolving on it's own.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:32 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,846 Likes on 1,022 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'10, '14

Originally Posted by Factoid
I recently changed the battery in my C7 and fortunately had no issues. That said, I also changed both batteries in my Jeep Gladiator. This is not for the weak! To get to the smaller battery under the fuse box, you have to remove the fuse box and pull out all the cables that connect to it. It was scary.

You have to remove the main battery outlined in green, then the fuse box outlined in blue, then pull all the cables aside that plug into the fuse box, and finally remove the aux battery cover to access it. Putting it back together was harrowing!
@Factoid

I wind up removing the Auto SS battery on the Jeeps, there are a few options there but this is not the Easter egg I wanted to address. I'd like to talk about that giant orange egg in the center. NICE!

The following users liked this post:
Factoid (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 06:26 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,753 Likes on 3,026 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Rabbi
Because of all the threads on this subject I will always pay the dealer to change the battery.
No need to pay a dealer to change a battery, this is a simple procedure that almost anyone can do....you got this man
The following users liked this post:
Factoid (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 11:51 AM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,618 Likes on 2,825 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by devnull
@Factoid

I wind up removing the Auto SS battery on the Jeeps, there are a few options there but this is not the Easter egg I wanted to address. I'd like to talk about that giant orange egg in the center. NICE!

Yes, @devnull , that hemi was the BEST upgrade I made to my Gladiator! It easily tows my boat and C2 race car and hauls butt! You can also remove the front wheel and wheel well liner to access the aux battery but that is also risky.

To keep this C7 related, a battery tender really helps extend the life of your battery. I keep both my C7s on tender when not driving. I also use one on the Jeep and both my wife’s cars when they are not going to be used for two weeks or longer.

This tender was a selected option and came with the car.

The Jeep tender (circled in blue) came from Amazon.

Quick Reply: Installed new battery now having issues