C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DCT in a Vette.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 05:05 PM
VIN666
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sequential would be boss.
However, I have heard more than once that they will never be in a production car, because one always has to be able to go from drive to neutral, which in a sequential isnīt possible.
Not sure if thatīs driven by some yahoo at the OEMs or government mandate...
Had a long discussion about this with guys that did the T850.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:26 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
Brother! What does a SLS cost? What does it weigh? How fast is it around the RIng? Do you think GM will build an 8000 rpm production engine? How high do you think the C7Rs engine will rev.?

Do you honestly think GM is going to build a transaxle like this?

What does this arrangement do to the CG, both longitudinally and vertically? Where do you put the golf clubs? Draw all the shafts with your crayons just for your own amusement. Check the angles of the side shafts. Plan and side view.

Or like this Ferrari FF. I'd would not admit to anybody that I was on this FF drive train design team if I were. I'd be ashamed.

They are both crap solutions and engineering nightmares.

Now, if you were talking sequential, I'd be with you.
Note how compact this is. Note were the single clutch is. Note the position of the gearbox in front of the rear axle. This is a thing of beauty, simplicity, lightness and strength.

Do you know that you can purchase this type of gearbox for your C7 right now? Today? There are some sequentials in Corvette street cars already.
Do you know that the LT1 requires a big flywheel/clutch or a torque converter bolted directly to the end of the crankshaft and they can't be remote? Do you know it can't rev up or down too fast therefore the gearbox does not need to change that fast as a F458 does.

Lastly, for this post anyway, GM will have a very light and strong A8 that will fit into Cadillacs and Vettes pretty soon.
Corvette does not have a transaxle which requires a single casing. This is engineering cost saving geneous which is the mark of GM.
I would like the M7, the A7 and for the hyper Vette, the sequential.
Or, just the sequential with a dry clutch or a torque converter. QED.
Did you know that the LT1 has a 14" diameter starter ring(so it can use the same starter that the manual's flywheel uses) with splined center for direct connection to the prop shaft and that the torque convertor is located at the front of the rear mounted transmission? The torque convertor is not mounted to the engine's crankshaft and wasn't on the C5 or the C6 either.

Last edited by JoesC5; 10-01-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I just look past the end of my nose, unlike you.
Guilty as charged. My bad. Had looked beyond the end of my nose, in this case, the end of the torque tube, I would have found the TC.
The front mounted damper tuning requires a load on the other side of the crankshaft. That was my focus which was at the tip of my nose.
One must always be aware of global factors in any engineering endeavour. I notice you focused on a mute point. It's funny how one accuses others of things that they are guilty of themselves.
I have done work on vibration dampers involving Suburu and Porsche engines in aircraft applications and I knew this was a design consideration.
Anyway, what about the rest of my post? How bout the LFA gearbox? Like?

Since you are being picky, you mention that the 901 gains 46 pounds with the PDK. The cars that have the clutches directly behind the engine have an advantage, don't you think?
The Corvette requires substantial friction surfaces for the two clutch packs in a remote location. You actually compare the two designs, mmmm. The Corvette has a bigger engine also. The gain will be at least twice the weight that you have stated and that is just for the clutch packs. Take a look at the DCT pictures again. What a disaster. That is one heavy mother, complex and expensive and of dubious reliability. How many track days do you think you will get out of that baby?
What does the SLS and the Ferrari cost again?

You also compare the weight of the 6L80 to the TR 6060. If you looked beyond your nose, you know I was talking about the next generation of auto transmissions and torque converters which weigh about the same as the M7.

I understand. It happens to me also.

The DCT in a Vette will weigh more than the ZF A8 and will place the CG out of envelope, vertically as well as longitudinally. What, pray tell, would be the consequences of that?
Keep the engine and transmission between the axles I say.

Fast shifts come with consequences and design factors have to be increased. A torque converter can absorb these loads and with some clever mapping to the staged gear shifts, there need not be any interruption of torque and maybe some multiplication. Check out autos at the drag strip. Watch them lurch during shifts.

There are Mercedes cars with ZF autos that rev beyond 6500. We have moved on. Please keep up. Like the LS engines, the LT1 will not be happy over 7gs and the race car, even less.

Last edited by Shaka; 10-01-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:37 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
I actually agree. Modern converter autos can shift in < 0.1 seconds. I think we'll see a very trick 8-speed auto in the later C7s and hi-po C7s.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:43 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Guilty as charged. My bad. Had looked beyond the end of my nose, in this case, the end of the torque tube, I would have found the TC.
The front mounted damper tuning requires a load on the other side of the crankshaft. That was my focus which was at the tip of my nose.
One must always be aware of global factors in any engineering endeavour. I notice you focused on a mute point. It's funny how one accuses others of things that they are guilty of themselves.
I have done work on vibration dampers involving Suburu and Porsche engines in aircraft applications and I knew this was a design consideration.
Anyway, what about the rest of my post? How bout the LFA gearbox? Like?

Since you are being picky, you mention that the 901 gains 46 pounds with the PDK. The cars that have the clutches directly behind the engine have an advantage, don't you think?
The Corvette requires substantial friction surfaces for the two clutch packs in a remote location. You actually compare the two designs, mmmm. The Corvette has a bigger engine also. The gain will be at least twice the weight that you have stated and that is just for the clutch packs. Take a look at the DCT pictures again. What a disaster. That is one heavy mother, complex and expensive and of dubious reliability. How many track days do you think you will get out of that baby?
What does the SLS and the Ferrari cost again?

You also compare the weight of the 6L80 to the TR 6060. If you looked beyond your nose, you know I was talking about the next generation of auto transmissions and torque converters which weigh about the same as the M7.

I understand. It happens to me also.

The DCT in a Vette will weigh more than the ZF A8 and will place the CG out of envelope, vertically as well as longitudinally. What, pray tell, would be the consequences of that?
Keep the engine and transmission between the axles I say.

Fast shifts come with consequences and design factors have to be increased. A torque converter can absorb these loads and with some clever mapping to the staged gear shifts, there need not be any interruption of torque and maybe some multiplication. Check out autos at the drag strip. Watch them lurch during shifts.

There are Mercedes cars with ZF autos that rev beyond 6500. We have moved on. Please keep up. Like the LS engines, the LT1 will not be happy over 7gs and the race car, even less.
Good insights ..thanks
Old 10-02-2013, 03:03 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The Porsche 911 Carrera 4s has both a 7 speed manual and a 7 speed PDK transmission available.

Curb weight with the manual is 3186 pounds and the curb weight of the7 speed PDK is 3230 Pounds, An increase of 46 pounds over the 7 speed manual.

A 6L80 Corvette transmission weighs ~122-125 pounds more than the TR6060 transmission.

Looks to me that a PDK(DCT) transmission in a Corvette would weigh less than an automatic transmission, shift as fast, if not faster, and the car would weigh less.

GM has said that the auto transmission was not capable of handling engine RPM's over 6,500, not high lateral g's on the track. It would seem to me that both of those restrictions would be a hindrance in designing high performance sports car.
The Corvette 6L80 weighs 229 lbs while the TR6060 weighs 121 lbs (according to Tremec) for a difference of 108 lbs. The 6L80 weight includes the torque converter, however the TR6060 weight doesn't include the clutch/flywheel, the clutch pedal/linkage, or the clutch hydraulics. The clutch/flywheel alone is about 60 lbs bringing the difference to only 48 lbs which is about the difference between the Porsche 7M and PDK. Looks like the DCT would come in close to the 6L80.

Also, there are many 6L80s in Z06s where the LS7 redlines at 7000 RPM...clearly 6500 RPM is not a limitation. And it's never been said a 6L80 isn't capable of high g road course work.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by glass slipper
The Corvette 6L80 weighs 229 lbs while the TR6060 weighs 121 lbs (according to Tremec) for a difference of 108 lbs. The 6L80 weight includes the torque converter, however the TR6060 weight doesn't include the clutch/flywheel, the clutch pedal/linkage, or the clutch hydraulics. The clutch/flywheel alone is about 60 lbs bringing the difference to only 48 lbs which is about the difference between the Porsche 7M and PDK. Looks like the DCT would come in close to the 6L80.

Also, there are many 6L80s in Z06s where the LS7 redlines at 7000 RPM...clearly 6500 RPM is not a limitation. And it's never been said a 6L80 isn't capable of high g road course work.
Yeah, he presents his material in a political manor. Though accurate, it is highly selective and disingenuous. Engineering is all encompassing and you simply can'r be 'dishonest'. Natural law is the truth, and nothing but the truth.

The 6L80 does have oil pick up problems when the car has wings and slicks and there can be slippage in high G turns. Tadge mentioned it but I don't know what has been done on the Z51 to address this. I expect a real cool A8 in the C7 soon. It may first appear in the high performance C7, the one with the big brakes.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:49 AM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Yeah, he presents his material in a political manor. Though accurate, it is highly selective and disingenuous. Engineering is all encompassing and you simply can'r be 'dishonest'. Natural law is the truth, and nothing but the truth.

The 6L80 does have oil pick up problems when the car has wings and slicks and there can be slippage in high G turns. Tadge mentioned it but I don't know what has been done on the Z51 to address this. I expect a real cool A8 in the C7 soon. It may first appear in the high performance C7, the one with the big brakes.
Link for the portion in bold please. I've never heard of this but of course that doesn't mean it didn't happen, just means I've never heard of it and am curious.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:14 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Link for the portion in bold please. I've never heard of this but of course that doesn't mean it didn't happen, just means I've never heard of it and am curious.
Check the Autocross and Road race section. It is discussed somewhere there.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:47 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Assuming shifting issues (shifts when the driver wants it to not when it wants to) can be resolved the real problem with using a torque convertor based auto on a road course is heat from the torque convertor. I have a friend with a supercharged C5. The car was basically setup for drag racing with a high stall convertor but he has progressed into road courses since they are a lot more fun. He trashed the tranny two times before the builder told him the torque convertor was generating too much heat. Too resolve that my friend used his tuning software to keep the TCC locked up even when shifting. That has reduced the transmission over heating issues since the convertor isn't generating as much heat and made the transmission predictable from a shift standpoint.

Bill
Old 10-02-2013, 01:39 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default But!?

Is that DCT we saw going to handle a Vettes torque? Or was really for the 410hp TT V6?

Old 10-02-2013, 05:54 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Check the Autocross and Road race section. It is discussed somewhere there.
Sorry, it was your statement...you need to produce the proof. Like you said in another thread, this is the technical forum and you need to be able to back up what you say...no facts by proclamation. I'll be waiting...
Old 10-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by VIN666
Sequential would be boss.
However, I have heard more than once that they will never be in a production car, because one always has to be able to go from drive to neutral, which in a sequential isnīt possible.
Not sure if thatīs driven by some yahoo at the OEMs or government mandate...
Had a long discussion about this with guys that did the T850.
The LFA seems to do just fine. New seamless designs have have two cam barrels. When a shift is requested, the first barrel is asked to disengage the gear that it is in. The second barrel targets the next gear so it is in two gears at once. The barrels are electro mechanically activated and neutral can be selected at anytime. The barrels move thru 60 degrees instead of the 120 for the single barrel. The shifts are faster than any DCT. The shifts don't depend on clutches which are subject to to wear and hydraulic problems such as heat. Smooth changes are done with rev matching and the single clutch slip. When you slow down, it will sequentially change down and stop with the clutch disengaged. Lifting both padels, it will go into neutral at any speed with a max of two shifts with the clutch disengaged.. At low loads, the single clutch can engage after the the barrels have skipped a gear set from 1st to 3rd to 5th to 7th.

Last edited by Shaka; 10-02-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Sorry, it was your statement...you need to produce the proof. Like you said in another thread, this is the technical forum and you need to be able to back up what you say...no facts by proclamation. I'll be waiting...
The appropriate smilie is not available to to convey my sentiments in this matter.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:03 PM
VIN666
Pro

Nah, when I say sequential, I mean motorcycle style single cam with a shift lever, not paddle crap. Think touring car transmission.

Interesting video though.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:13 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Nah, when I say sequential, I mean motorcycle style single cam with a shift lever, not paddle crap. Think touring car transmission.

Interesting video though.
Touring cars, DTM and even Ausie V8s for 2014 have single barrel sequential tms which are electronically controlled. The driver pulls the gearshift back for upshifts and forward for down. This year, the Ausies had to work the clutch with their foot for both up and down shifts.
The clutch and the actual shift is fly by wire. Like F1 cars, this is easily made automatic.
The are street going C5 and 6 driving around the USA with padel shift sequentials. The LFA is the most refined for street and I would love to see something like that for the super Vette.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:18 PM
VIN666
Pro

I know what you are talking about, I just always wanted a car with a fully manual, all mechanical sequential gear box.
That would just be the best thing since ... ever.

To me anyway.

Only plug and play application I know is for Nissan 6 cylinder cars though and the ones I like aren't legal to import yet. Give it a few more years and I might add one to the collection

Get notified of new replies

To DCT in a Vette.

Old 10-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

I know what you are talking about, I just always wanted a car with a fully manual, all mechanical sequential gear box.
That would just be the best thing since ... ever.

To me anyway.

Only plug and play application I know is for Nissan 6 cylinder cars though and the ones I like aren't legal to import yet. Give it a few more years and I might add one to the collection
You can get it done on your C5 or 6 for < $100 000. If you want to work the clutch yourself and loose the padel shift, you could get it for maybe $20 or $30 installed.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:57 PM
VIN666
Pro

LOL.
Yeah... NO.
You can get the trans for the Nissan for 5k and the car for 15... so, if I ever get one, it's probably going to be that route. Plus, that way it's a proper shifter without the cables.
Not hating on the C5/6/7s, but let's face it, nothing beats a linkage for shift feel.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:45 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

No cables used on the c6. metal shaft from shifter box to the gear selector at the front of the trans.

Quick Reply: DCT in a Vette.