C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno Tuned

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 04:57 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

GM has so much power on the table yet to be cracked on the C7, makes me think they are going to do stage kits from factory... Simple stage one could be a upgraded air filter, and ECU flash with a new tune... Charge $1,200 and it ups the power by 30whp/wtq+... People will be scratching at the door of their local Chevy dealer
Old 10-07-2013, 07:53 PM
R23HTC
Le Mans Master

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette
GM has so much power on the table yet to be cracked on the C7, makes me think they are going to do stage kits from factory... Simple stage one could be a upgraded air filter, and ECU flash with a new tune... Charge $1,200 and it ups the power by 30whp/wtq+... People will be scratching at the door of their local Chevy dealer
If it didn't effect the factory warranty they sure would be!
Old 10-07-2013, 09:18 PM
CPhelps
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by OBSSSD
As I said before if your focus is way off then the final product will also be way off. Shipping the car with a factory calibration that allows for the 1% of owners who will put 87 octane in the car and drive it hard severely compromises the car for the other 99% who aren't idiots. But that seems to be what happened here due to the power gains from a tuned bone stock car. Perhaps they de-tuned the C7 due to possible reliability concerns with the LT1 so who knows?

Either way 460hp was a joke right out of the gate
Threads crop up all the time about owners who only put 87 octane in their cars, so I think your 1% figure is quite a bit off. I'm with you, 93 octane all the way, but GM can't rely on all their customers doing that. GM can't rely on all their customers that get into a jam and fill with sub premium due to availability to drive reasonably until they are through with the "bad" gas, either. They need to make their tunes safe for extreme conditions.

Originally Posted by LS3_E85_Corvette
They did it with the 2.0L LNF turbo DI motor, a factory stage kit including a tune and a few other components allowed the engine to go from 260/260 to 290/340 and retain factory warranty. If I remember correctly it was ~ 500 dollars, too. Granted the turbo helps a lot with being able to increase power with tuning.

Last edited by CPhelps; 10-07-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:01 PM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by VIN666
Not long ago there wasn´t even a 460 Hp Vette and a 8l v10 made 450 Hp...
So calling it a joke is a bit unwarranted I would think.
The car is capable of and should have put down around 480-490hp from the factory, but since GM engineers wanted to leave something on the table to make their lives easier for a refresh in a couple years they sandbagged
Old 10-07-2013, 10:30 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Originally Posted by 21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
Quote:
I guess the geniuses with millions of dollars and all the PHd's couldn't figure out what the aftermarket hacks playing on dynos will in the next few months

With all due respect, don't underestimate the ability of all of the aftermarkets tuning capabilities as there are former GM, Chrysler and Ford engineers that now work at several of the well known Performance Shops.

It's my opinion that the car should be tuned individually based on
octane, climate, how the cars being used, the customers expectations as well as several other parameters.

Not at all trying to take away from the knowledge and skill of GM calibration engineers as I am sure they know their stuff.

Best Regards,
John Page
Twenty First Century Muscle Cars
www.21stcentruymusclecars.com
Agree. Graham at LPE is a fine example!
Old 10-13-2013, 06:32 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
Base line tune compared to 21CMC tune, both done same day, same dyno and same fuel.....

Stock>>>>>> 21CMC tune
RWHP 398.7>>> 430.3
RWTQ 391.7>>> 427.0

The tuned graph was even done in 6 degree higher heat

Tremendous gains over entire power band!

We will have mail order tunes available soon!

Best Regards,
John Page
Twenty First Century Muscle Cars
www.21stcenturymusclecars.com
John that is fantastic! Very nice numbers from an automatic. I assume you are using HP Tuners?

We have our own tune coming with our new intake, but using the stock intake you have achieved the best numbers I have seen so far. Good luck on your future ideas.

Are you leaving the TM for the tranny in this tune? Our C7 is an A6 as well.

My thread back in January touted the GDI system, and I claimed that the LT1 should be around 500+ HP from the factory. Based on the huge gains from your tuning, and LGM's headers, it is apparent that I was pretty close in my estimated hp numbers. 430/.85= 505 HP (LS7 territory)

Jim Hall

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Last edited by Halltech; 10-13-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,532 Likes on 523 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I can't wait to get a tune and a CAI... I imagine about 40-45whp and close to matching tq with this combo

HALLTECH:

How long till CAIs will be shipping?
Old 10-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

[QUOTE=Z0Sick6;1585166764]I can't wait to get a tune and a CAI... I imagine about 40-45whp and close to matching tq with this combo

HALLTECH:

Take your questions to our thread. I don't want to highjack John's great work.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:00 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by CPhelps
Threads crop up all the time about owners who only put 87 octane in their cars, so I think your 1% figure is quite a bit off. I'm with you, 93 octane all the way, but GM can't rely on all their customers doing that. GM can't rely on all their customers that get into a jam and fill with sub premium due to availability to drive reasonably until they are through with the "bad" gas, either. They need to make their tunes safe for extreme conditions.

They did it with the 2.0L LNF turbo DI motor, a factory stage kit including a tune and a few other components allowed the engine to go from 260/260 to 290/340 and retain factory warranty. If I remember correctly it was ~ 500 dollars, too. Granted the turbo helps a lot with being able to increase power with tuning.
GM also can not rely on the consumer to change the oil, or even use the correct oil, so they put a disclaimer in the owners manual stating that if you don't follow their requirements, and you screw up your engine, they won't fix it on their dime.

Same goes with the gasoline octane. In the 2104 C7 owners manual it states that you have to use 91 or higher octane gasoline, and if you use lower octane gas and you screw up your engine, they won't fix it on their dime.

Pretty clear what GM requires you to run in your car, both oil and gasoline, and the ramifications if you choose not to.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:20 PM
21STCENTURYMUSCLECAR
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Halltech
John that is fantastic! Very nice numbers from an automatic. I assume you are using HP Tuners?

We have our own tune coming with our new intake, but using the stock intake you have achieved the best numbers I have seen so far. Good luck on your future ideas.

Are you leaving the TM for the tranny in this tune? Our C7 is an A6 as well.

My thread back in January touted the GDI system, and I claimed that the LT1 should be around 500+ HP from the factory. Based on the huge gains from your tuning, and LGM's headers, it is apparent that I was pretty close in my estimated hp numbers. 430/.85= 505 HP (LS7 territory)

Jim Hall
Hi Jim,

This is a manual car, not sure how these other guys are getting 420-430s stock, must be that cool, dry Florida air

J.P.

Quick Reply: Dyno Tuned