C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Z51 trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Theo Harris
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default C7 Z51 trouble

After 90 miles on my new c7 I popped the targa top off ( love that feature ) and discovered after I carefully put it back a cracked windshield from inside out at a place that's covered by the drivers targa release latch
Old 10-12-2013, 10:35 PM
niphilli2
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 100 Posts

Sometimes when the winshield is installed it is not positioned correctly and creates stress on the glass. This stress can be multiplied when the roof is off (more body flex).

I had a 99 trans am, the first time I took the T-Top off and went down a twisty road the windshield split.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:13 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Received 68 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by niphilli2
Sometimes when the winshield is installed it is not positioned correctly and creates stress on the glass. This stress can be multiplied when the roof is off (more body flex).

I had a 99 trans am, the first time I took the T-Top off and went down a twisty road the windshield split.
The C7 is one hell of a lot stiffer than that spaghetti POS trans am. This shouldn't happen.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:19 PM
RamAir972003
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by DDSLT5
The C7 is one hell of a lot stiffer than that spaghetti POS trans am. This shouldn't happen.
So I guess all t/a are pos I didn't know that...
Old 10-12-2013, 11:30 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by RamAir972003
Learn something new everyday! Fire Chickens blow as far as build quality goes.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:07 AM
JeffInDFW
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

So does your LT5. And your attitude, while we are at it.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:00 AM
T_Vert
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

the Firebirdis 10 steps down from the vette of its generation. Driven in quite a few and they are wet noodles.

Last edited by T_Vert; 10-13-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:04 AM
brokenparts
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The c7 is stiffer due to advancements in technology and quality of materials. Its not rocket science but in some ways it is

Hope OP gets his car fixed and would love to hear dealers/GM's explanation on the subject.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:24 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by JeffInDFW
So does your LT5. And your attitude, while we are at it.
LOL. I think the truth is hurting you a lot right now. Its very simple - your TA flexes more than Arnold on muscle beach in the 80s!
Old 10-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Vegas Sam
Pro

Received 287 Likes on 97 Posts

Sorry for your trouble, OP. I'd head into the dealership 1st thing tomorrow. To the other commenters, chill out on the bashing of other rides. I've owned several F-bodies over the years, and yes, the C7 is the newest thing, but Corvette quality hasn't been a bragging point over time.I owned a C5 that rattled like a tin can by 40k miles. Relax.

Last edited by Vegas Sam; 10-13-2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:59 PM
niphilli2
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 100 Posts

LoL.. This website is pathetic sometimes

To the OP... Sorry to muddy up your post with nonsense.

It is still a valid point that the windshield in your car may have been installed improperly, keep it in mind. Look closely and see if you can tell if this was an impact based crack or a stress based crack.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:14 PM
Stars_Fan
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by T_Vert
the Firebirdis 10 steps down from the vette of its generation. Driven in quite a few and they are wet noodles.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:28 PM
Theo Harris
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vegas Sam
Sorry for your trouble, OP. I'd head into the dealership 1st thing tomorrow. To the other commenters, chill out on the bashing of other rides. I've owned several F-bodies over the years, and yes, the C7 is the newest thing, but Corvette quality hasn't been a bragging point over time.I owned a C5 that rattled like a tin can by 40k miles. Relax.
Dropped it off yesterday, new car sales manager came to service department and looked at the car ( also missing a small amount of paint on the top of the trunk gate), he was very nice and professional, his concerned was how soon they can get a new windshield from Chevy. They gave me a new Chevy to drive and apologize for the inconvenience. I have purchased several Porsches from Len Stoler before and Len Stoler Chevy is as good in customer service as their Porsche brothers.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:31 PM
Theo Harris
Instructor

Originally Posted by Theo Harris
Dropped it off yesterday, new car sales manager came to service department and looked at the car ( also missing a small amount of paint on the top of the trunk gate), he was very nice and professional, his concerned was how soon they can get a new windshield from Chevy. They gave me a new Chevy to drive and apologize for the inconvenience. I have purchased several Porsches from Len Stoler before and Len Stoler Chevy is as good in customer service as their Porsche brothers.
BTW I love the new C7 Z51, I hope they fix it before 10/25/2013 as I have a date at the track with my new baby...lol
Old 10-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Graham Behan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the OP , it sounds like part of the release mechanism came into contact with the windshield due to incorrect placement of one or both.

Graham.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:35 PM
DDSLT5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Graham Behan
Doc must be on the happy juice !

Graham.
Just Boost Graham, just boost! You know where that comes from!!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:43 PM
Jesse
Administrator

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Founder St. Jude Fundraiser

If you notice any of your comments gone, it's because they were against one or more of these forum rules:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...conflicts.html
For the most part, the CF community remains a friendly place where ideas, thoughts, and assistance can be found. Unfortunately, there are times when members forget that this is an Internet forum and issues between members can get out of hand. This includes members turning to the forum to air a personal offline/on-line problem which results in sides being drawn by participating members.

In these situations, it is the forum's role to expeditiously end any conflict for the good of the forum and its membership. The forum's goal is not only to remain family, work, and corporate server safe, it also will not serve as a battleground where offline/on-line personal matters and drama are permitted to be played out in front of other members.

Any thread(s) that contain open bickering, name calling, subtle derogatory messages, "digs," personal attacks, or anything negative in nature will be closed/edited or deleted, and any participating members who post in violation of this rule, will jeopardize their posting privileges.

If any member is being harassed on-line in a thread or privately via PM, they should avoid a confrontation with the offending member and immediately report the problem to a section Moderator via PM, or by clicking on the "report post," icon under their user name.
The Moderator will evaluate the issue and take appropriate action to rectify the situation.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...rd-others.html
The Forum should be a place where we treat one another with civility so that it remains a fun and friendly place to hang around with other Corvette enthusiasts. Hostility to others is rude and inappropriate.
Personal attacks cannot be tolerated. Attack ideas, not fellow Forum members.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...-language.html
The Forum’s software is set up to block certain words and terms we consider to be inappropriate for use on the site. Typically, the words and terms included are those that are crude, vulgar and/or involve racial epithets.

That does not mean the software will block all inappropriate words or phrases. Setting it up to do so would be an exercise in futility because we wouldn’t be able to identify everything that should be included or the exceptions when the term or phrase would be acceptable in a particular context.

Altering the spelling of words/terms to bypass the blocking feature of the software is in conflict with Forum rules. Moderators try to show some tolerance if the word/term is altered enough so as not to be blatant. As a guideline, moderators often will ignore an otherwise inappropriate word or term so long as at least two letters of the word/term have been omitted or changed to symbols, although that should not be interpreted as a license to sprinkle inappropriate language with symbols in a thread.

Moderators cannot ignore words/terms (even with altered spellings) that are used to convey hostility toward other Forum members.

It's also inappropriate, of course, to introduce inappropriate language to the Forum via images or links. Members who quote the inappropriate links/images or comments in their reply, are held equally accountable as the member who originally posted it.

The judgment of moderators will be final in such issues because the moderators are charged with using their best judgment in maintaining a level of civility that ensures the Forum is a fun and friendly place for Corvette enthusiasts to hang around.
Play nice, stay on topic, or stay out of the thread

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z51 trouble

Old 10-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Theo Harris
Instructor

Originally Posted by brokenparts
The c7 is stiffer due to advancements in technology and quality of materials. Its not rocket science but in some ways it is

Hope OP gets his car fixed and would love to hear dealers/GM's explanation on the subject.
Dealer still has the car...they determined that it was an exterior impact and I lucked out since I purchased Some insurance coverage at time of finance of the vehicle, however Chevy does not have new windshields in stock nor do they know when they will have them...WTF answer is that???

So I must pick up the car and drive it with a crack windshield till Chevy decides to make some parts, or maybe not.....Now I remember why I was buying Japanese and European cars...lol
Old 10-16-2013, 01:14 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir972003
As a former owner of a 2002 Collector Editon Trans Am, I call your comments worthless trash talk DDSLT5.

The cars you are maligning are over a decade past their last production. But when they reigned, nothing else with a live axle was in their class.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:03 PM
TooMch
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can we just quit defending the Firebirds? Let it die.

This is a thread about the C7 windshield cracking.

The Dealer determined it was from an Exterior collision???? How convenient. Not their fault. Do you remember anything hitting the car?

Crazy. I get upset when someone tries to avoid taking responsibility. If there is some proof, it is one thing. So that's what I'm wondering.

And what insurance covers this?

On top of that, I kind of laugh that GM does not have any replacement windshields yet. Sorry, OP, I'm sure it is not funny to you.

Quick Reply: C7 Z51 trouble