C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screen flicker

Old 01-07-2014, 10:05 AM
globexam
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screen flicker

2014 Stingray with nav and without prediction or reason, the info screen will "roll" bottom to top or "flicker" bottom to top. Nothing stops it short of turning off and back on. Anyone else observing this?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:17 AM
Chip A
Instructor

Check with your dealer about an ECM re-flash, but here is a possibility that there will be a screen replacement or "other" permanent fix by GM available after Feb.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:55 PM
globexam
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by chip a
check with your dealer about an ecm re-flash, but here is a possibility that there will be a screen replacement or "other" permanent fix by gm available after feb.
thanks...will do.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:54 PM
Chip A
Instructor

Check your site mailbox.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:52 AM
globexam
Heel & Toe
Support Corvetteforum!

Default guess what

Originally Posted by Chip A
Check with your dealer about an ECM re-flash, but here is a possibility that there will be a screen replacement or "other" permanent fix by GM available after Feb.
Friendly Chevrolet in Dallas, does NOT know what to do about it. Further my service adviser said members of the Corvette Forum are not Chevrolet people and do not know (basically) anything about Chevrolet problems/solutions. By chance do you have a bulletin number or something "concrete" I can give them to help them? They also report that the mild "whine" I hear at speeds above 40 on straight roads does not exist! Anyone else hear it?
Old 01-14-2014, 09:47 AM
bgood
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by globexam
Friendly Chevrolet in Dallas, does NOT know what to do about it. Further my service adviser said members of the Corvette Forum are not Chevrolet people and do not know (basically) anything about Chevrolet problems/solutions. By chance do you have a bulletin number or something "concrete" I can give them to help them? They also report that the mild "whine" I hear at speeds above 40 on straight roads does not exist! Anyone else hear it?
This link may help. It isn't the TSB notice, but you can see where others have had t he issue. You should report it on that thread as well.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...ns-thread.html

Chevy Customer Service monitors the forum as well. You can send them a PM and they may be able to provide the TSB to you to present tot he dealer. You can contact them here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/priv...newpm&u=352244

Old 12-13-2014, 10:45 AM
waheed4312
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default screen flicker

dear all
I am working on screen flicker problems
found the wires going in to screen, usb connector losses and wire locking cable tie with body very tight . remove or cut ties .problems will solve automatically

regards
waheed
The following users liked this post:
z06clif (04-06-2016)
Old 12-16-2014, 02:53 PM
Jeff M C
Intermediate

2014 Stingray with nav and without prediction or reason, the info screen will "roll" bottom to top or "flicker" bottom to top. Nothing stops it short of turning off and back on. Anyone else observing this?
Dealer replaced mine under warranty for the same problem.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:05 PM
SilversledC7
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This was my screen flicker.

Dealer said GM requires dealers to reflash before replacing. They reflashed the unit and ordered a replacement screen the same day.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:44 AM
hawkfe
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C1 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by SilversledC7
This was my screen flicker.

Dealer said GM requires dealers to reflash before replacing. They reflashed the unit and ordered a replacement screen the same day.
Just started having the problem the last couple of weeks, have a scheduled appt with the service dept Monday to do the seat flash, and a recall item done. Will see what happens.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:02 AM
S/C 5.0
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Happened Today

8000 miles. Was on the way to the dealer and it was not working at all. Pushed the screen button a couple of times and it started flickering. Of course by the time I got to the dealer it was working perfect. The good news is I take my dealer a Mobil 1 Filter and they put Mobil 1 in for free.
Old 04-05-2016, 01:07 PM
NickHall
Madison Wisconsin
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Screen Flicker - Add mine to the growing list

Yep. Me too.
My screen started to flicker for maybe 10 trips (two long distance) and then went black by the end of each trip.

First started to just flicker, then after an hour of this it just went black.

Turned off and restarted car, and it booted fine, but the flicker came back after an hour of driving.

Each time I drove it, the flicker got worse and lasted longer.

Took it to the dealer and they up-dated the "radio" software and gave it back to me. I told them it was not a software issue, but they would not replace the screen, even after I told them about the hundreds of units that GM needed to do a screen replacement to fix the flicker.

So I called GM Customer Services and told them about the problem. They acknowledged that it was an issue on many of the first production runs, and they gave me a case number.

Went back with the screen actively (in real time) going in and out for them to see with their own eyes (yes I had a video for them as well), so they FINALLY replaced the screen after GM authorized it against the Case Number.

So after 4 dealer calls and one GM call, and two trips to fix a well know hardware issue with the early C7s, the dealer finally did their job, but not until I called GM Corvette and got the Case Number on it.

Interesting, GM says screen replacement is a 3-4 hour job, it took them over 8 hours to do it. But at least it got done. And, while they had the dash apart, then noticed the emergency flashers were never connected during the build. So they connected them and now I got emergency flashers.

Good news is the new screen appears to be working well.

I see so many others on the 3 corvette forums have had the same issue with varying degrees of success getting it fixed. I hope this helps, but if yours goes out, get a video of it flickering and then tell the dealer that it is a well known problem in GM and that they have ordered several thousand new screens that are now in stock at GM and are being sent out to the dealers. So part supplies are no longer a problem for this fix.

The OEM supplier had put in bad connections that tended to fail a lot. So they had to supply the better parts to GM for free. The ones now on the assembly line have the better units I am told.

Last edited by NickHall; 04-05-2016 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 08:47 AM
NickHall
Madison Wisconsin
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Free oil is part of the deal

Originally Posted by S/C 5.0
8000 miles. Was on the way to the dealer and it was not working at all. Pushed the screen button a couple of times and it started flickering. Of course by the time I got to the dealer it was working perfect. The good news is I take my dealer a Mobil 1 Filter and they put Mobil 1 in for free.
They should put in free Mobil 1 oil for three oil changes as part of the purchase price. At least that is what they did for me.

Thanks and my best to you.
Glad I got my screen flicker fixed.
Nick
Old 05-04-2016, 07:57 PM
Gamble52
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it just the screen that gets replaced? Mine started to go out and the dealership will verify it this weekend and they said a replacement gets there within 24 hours. Is there a way to get it upgraded to have apple carplay? It's a long shot...but warranty is warranty. Mine is up this December, and this screen issue has gotten me worried. I'm wondering if i should purchase extended bumper to bumper warranty.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:16 AM
CyberGreyAl
1st Gear

Default Screen Flicker

Originally Posted by waheed4312
dear all
I am working on screen flicker problems
found the wires going in to screen, usb connector losses and wire locking cable tie with body very tight . remove or cut ties .problems will solve automatically

regards
waheed
How do you get to the wires?
Old 07-07-2016, 06:55 AM
rrod436
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Getting mine replaced too. Had the flash done, but it didn't work. Took it back and the service writer and tech agreed that there was a problem with early cars and saw the flicker for themselves. They told me of a "backorder" and it would take 1~2 weeks to get the part. GM knows about it.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:09 AM
unload
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my screen was just replaced for the second time. 2014

Get notified of new replies

To Screen flicker

Old 07-27-2016, 09:41 AM
jonn127
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well isn't this just wonderful, mine started jumping a little bit yesterday. Then this morning when starting up, it cranked a couple times, quit, then cranked a couple more times and started, wasn't sure if its related.
So if mine just started flickering, is it just going to get worse?
Old 07-27-2016, 02:01 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Check with Classic or Reliable Chevy here in DFW. We had a similar issue with our first 2014 car and Reliable fixed it under warranty.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:28 PM
irpete
Instructor

Took mine to the dealer 10 days ago and they agreed to replace the screen however GM says the screens are on backorder with no timeframe of when they will have more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Screen flicker