C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dry Sump vs Wet Sump

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 01:02 AM
Papas02C5
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dry Sump vs Wet Sump

Ok here is my question...
Is it true that a dry sump motor will produce more horsepower than a traditional wet sump system. If this is correct why is it that Chevy is rating the Z51 and non Z51 cars with the same horsepower numbers? I understand the reasoning behind the installation of the dry sump in the Z51 and not in the Base cars. I was just wondering about the horsepower....
I am sure this has been discussed but I could not find it when I did a search... Thanks.....

Last edited by Papas02C5; 03-03-2014 at 06:25 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:13 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Papas02C5
Ok here is my question...
Is it not true that a dry sump motor will produce more horsepower than a traditional wet sump system. If this is correct why is it that Chevy is rating the Z51 and non Z51 cars with the same horsepower numbers? I understand the reasoning behind the installation of the dry sump in the Z51 and not in the Base cars. I was just wondering about the horsepower....
I am sure this has been discussed but I could not find it when I did a search... Thanks.....
The hp difference would be so minor it would not be worth noting. People that get caught up in a thread like this are the same ones that ague about what oil frees up the most hp..

The factory "dry sump" system is kinda crappy anyways just like it was on the c6z.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:24 AM
Papas02C5
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by breecher_7
The hp difference would be so minor it would not be worth noting. People that get caught up in a thread like this are the same ones that ague about what oil frees up the most hp..

The factory "dry sump" system is kinda crappy anyways just like it was on the c6z.
I'm not trying to start a "which oil is better" thread. I am just curious about all I have read about the dry sump systems. This is the first car I have owned with a dry sump system installed...
Old 03-03-2014, 06:26 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

If you want to free up HP through the crankcase then look into a vacuum pump.

www.GZMotorsports.com

I had one on my Z06 and it was a big difference!
Old 03-03-2014, 06:40 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

I'm not trying to start a "which oil is better" thread. I am just curious about all I have read about the dry sump systems. This is the first car I have owned with a dry sump system installed...
I understand that. My point is that between the factory set ups the hp difference is so minor that it's not worth noting.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:49 AM
W88fixer
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

My understanding is that dry sumps main attribute is always having enough oil and reservoirs to help ensure the pump always has enough oil to pump into the engine.

I’m sure both the dry and wet sump engines have measures to ensure there is no crankshaft “windage” so the counterweights don’t beat the oil into foam.

I’d bet there would be more difference in HP between individual engines of the same type than between an average of several engines of each type. Don
Old 03-03-2014, 11:17 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Really depends on the application, I dont think the advantage on these is in freeing up power. Its keeping oil supply under hard cornering and adding more volume to keep it cooler.

A well designed race type dry sump will scavenge oil from various places, valley, heads etc so oil never drips down on the cam/crank and causes windage. Plus that scavenge stages cause negative pressure in the crankcase so no need for vacuum pumps. Plus people want to put engines lower in the chassis so that puts the oil closer to the crank so you are limited by a large capacity wet sump system.

Plus most aftermarket dry sump pumps are more efficient then the OE type they replace, so they can pick up a few HP. Then there is the safety aspect of dumping a quart of oil on a racetrack if a rod goes through the pan as opposed to 10 quarts.

The Vette OE setup is a nice option for hard cornering but I dont think there is a much of a power benefit from it. Even the best dry sump as opposed to mediocre wet sump with a decent windage tray isnt going to make much more power, whatever extra HP you get is bonus for spending a lot of time and money plumbing a multi-stage dry sump. Keeping air-free oil supplied at all times is its main benefit.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Both setups are SAE tested by GM. If there was enough of a power difference to claim more, believe me, GM would. A dry sump can add power depending on how bad the wet sump is and how good the dry sump is.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:24 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7

I'm not sure what would make any dry sump system crappy over another... care to explain?

The HP boost comes from the lack of oil hitting the crank. In short, in a traditional pan when you are doing performance related items (hard cornering, acceleration, braking) it is likely that the crank is sloshing through oil. This means you are losing power because it has to slosh through oil instead of air.

The reason why the power is the same is engines aren't given power numbers while actually moving. So, on a dyno, you are likely to see the exact same horsepower between the two. In the real world it feels like the dry sump engine has more power because it retains all of it instead of losing it through turns and hard acceleration.

GM keeps the HP number the same because of this
Old 03-03-2014, 12:10 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

The dry sump has less horsepower as the crankshaft has to pressurize the oil twice as it has two oil pumps. It takes horsepower to drive the oil pump(s).
Old 03-03-2014, 12:18 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
I'm not sure what would make any dry sump system crappy over another... care to explain?

The HP boost comes from the lack of oil hitting the crank. In short, in a traditional pan when you are doing performance related items (hard cornering, acceleration, braking) it is likely that the crank is sloshing through oil. This means you are losing power because it has to slosh through oil instead of air.

The reason why the power is the same is engines aren't given power numbers while actually moving. So, on a dyno, you are likely to see the exact same horsepower between the two. In the real world it feels like the dry sump engine has more power because it retains all of it instead of losing it through turns and hard acceleration.

GM keeps the HP number the same because of this
Sure... Its crap...

Needs upgraded...

http://store.katechengines.com/are-l...ge-3-p144.aspx

Old 03-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

The wet sump pans in modern cars are designed well to keep oil off the crank. They have windage trays/etc. I doubt the crank is just cutting through oil during corners.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:15 PM
Hgar99
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most performance cars now have a windage tray which keeps the oil away from the crank which will also increase the HP very slightly as well as keeping the oil from being aireated by the crank. The purpose of the dry sump system is to insure there is always adequate oil supply under high corning forces. The external tank works as a surge tank or reservoir to make sure the pump has consistent supply. It is true that the larger pump will require a slight more HP to drive, however in the overall picture your couldn't detect it on a dyno.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:23 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The dry sump has less horsepower as the crankshaft has to pressurize the oil twice as it has two oil pumps. It takes horsepower to drive the oil pump(s).

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...mp_conversion/
Old 03-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Just to clarify the power difference we're talking about though, this article found a difference of 3-4hp.

So before anybody starts shelling out for a conversion...
Old 03-04-2014, 07:11 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Originally Posted by Theta
Just to clarify the power difference we're talking about though, this article found a difference of 3-4hp.

So before anybody starts shelling out for a conversion...
I know, just stating it as I've heard some people claim their dry sump corvette motors make 15hp more...now the GZ vacuum pump does make more of a difference
Old 03-04-2014, 07:33 PM
Papas02C5
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
I know, just stating it as I've heard some people claim their dry sump corvette motors make 15hp more...now the GZ vacuum pump does make more of a difference
This is exactly why I started this thread... This is what I have heard as well..... 15hp is quite a big difference.... Tell us more about this GZ pump please....

Get notified of new replies

To Dry Sump vs Wet Sump

Old 03-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

This is exactly why I started this thread... This is what I have heard as well..... 15hp is quite a big difference.... Tell us more about this GZ pump please....
it's basically a pumped version of a catch can. it created a vacuum in the crankcase and relieves pressure the pistons normally have to work against. it pulls all the blowby and oily mist out instead of any of it at all going back into the intake. it pumps into a catch can.

I had one one my z06 and there was a definite seat of the pants difference. it is worth it. no oil in the intake is a huge bonus. even with catch cans I would get at least some....vacuum pump removes all lines into the engine.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:21 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

How difficult is the GZ vacuum pump install? Or, relatively speaking on the C6?
Old 03-04-2014, 09:28 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by Theta
How difficult is the GZ vacuum pump install? Or, relatively speaking on the C6?
easy if the kit is correct. you should call them and see....when I put mine on it needed some fabrication and different belts than it came with. that's was in 2010 i think....

Quick Reply: Dry Sump vs Wet Sump