C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-25-2015, 06:57 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

How-To: Install Short Shifter / Replace Stock Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 07:34 AM
ccap
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
I got the same code when doing my shifter work. It's because the drive mode selector **** was unplugged and either the ignition was on or the ECU was checking for some reason. This happened 1 of the 2 times I was in there so it seems to be hit or miss. I cleared the code with my Diablo handheld and all has been well since!
OK this concerns me. I want to d this mod, but if a code pops up I don't have anything to clear it. Is there a certain state the car should be in before you start disconnecting? i would imagine ignition off, but anything else that will assure me the codes won't pop up.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:54 AM
ccap
Instructor

OK Guys. I just placed my order!

I also want to get some sound/heat deadening material to wrap while its open. What does everyone recommend? While I am at it, I also want to do the doors.

Thanks
Old 05-21-2016, 07:34 PM
ccap
Instructor

OK Guys. I just installed the MGW Shifter. WOW!! Unbelievable difference. After taking out the OEM and comparing it with the MGW, it's night and day! This changes the who behavior of the car and how you drive it. Worth every penny and very easy to put in. I just followed the awesome instruction in this threat and was good to go!.

One thing that baffled me was when I put the actual shifter in. It was not at the 7 O'Clock position like in all the videos. I was in the 6 O'Clock position. I left it like that and finished the install. Works great, just a bit confused why MGW is sending it this way now.

Here is a pic.

This is at the 6 O'Clock position. Not like the 7 O'Clock that I was seeing during the install. This is how it was shipped from MGW
Old 05-21-2016, 08:00 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by ccap
OK Guys. I just installed the MGW Shifter. WOW!! Unbelievable difference. After taking out the OEM and comparing it with the MGW, it's night and day! This changes the who behavior of the car and how you drive it. Worth every penny and very easy to put in. I just followed the awesome instruction in this threat and was good to go!.

One thing that baffled me was when I put the actual shifter in. It was not at the 7 O'Clock position like in all the videos. I was in the 6 O'Clock position. I left it like that and finished the install. Works great, just a bit confused why MGW is sending it this way now.

Here is a pic.

This is at the 6 O'Clock position. Not like the 7 O'Clock that I was seeing during the install. This is how it was shipped from MGW
You have it in right. The changed things because there was a difference in how the c6 and c7 console was arranged. I don't think the offset would work in the c7.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:19 PM
Marc DeSatnik
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

if i start the car with the console still disconnected will it throw a service engine code? i installed the shifter and now have the SEL on.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:35 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Yep you need to connect everything back up or it will throw a code.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:43 PM
Marc DeSatnik
Racer

that's just it. it is all connected again. i checked and made sure all plugs are connected. do i need to use a reader to clear the code?
Old 06-03-2016, 10:55 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

I got a tool, OBDLink MX Bluetooth Scan Tool, and it was less than 100 dollars and reset mine. Not sure if you can do it without the tool. I used an app called torque and the combo works great and is simple to use.
The following users liked this post:
Marc DeSatnik (06-03-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 11:00 PM
Marc DeSatnik
Racer

i'll try it tomorrow. thanks
Old 06-03-2016, 11:02 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

You're welcome. Mine did the same thing and that's why I got the obd reader.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:01 PM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

If you're having a hard time removing the ebrake plug, there is a tab on the passenger side (bottom if you turn the console with the underside facing the driver) that has to be depressed first. Use a flat head or small trim tool to depress and it should pull right out.

Similarly, for the cigarette lighter plug, there is a tab on the driver's side above the brown collar that must be depressed (it's hard to see). To do it, push the gray part IN, depress the tab with a small flathead and it will pull right out.

The USB plug has a black tab that initially faces the driver and is on the part of the plug that is towards the rear of the car.

I bled to bring you this information.

Last edited by Jedi-Jurist; 07-02-2016 at 11:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jedi-Jurist:
braveheart3158 (05-02-2021), Flattman (08-09-2022)
Old 07-03-2016, 01:37 PM
Jedi-Jurist
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default Lost reverse?

Did the swap, am putting it all back together and while all the gears work great, it won't go into reverse. Have not tried driving the car yet. Anyone else have this issue? If it won't go in while driving, how do I fix it? Help!

UPDATE: Heart attack averted, it worked fine after starting the car. I guess there's a reverse lockout when the car is off I never knew about.

Last edited by Jedi-Jurist; 07-03-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:39 PM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Elite275
Ok....I've installed a supercharger before but can't get the damn boot off the shift ****. Haha. What am i missing here? I turn it and can't get it drop down even with force. It feels like it should dropm but is catching something and I don't want to force too hard and tear the boot. Any ideas?
I guess this may be a sign I am not meant to do this mod.....tried ordering today and kept getting a error charging my card with 3 different credit cards. So I figured I would call and order on Monday, so I read this how to and watched the MGW vids, and I go out to the garage to tackle STEP 1, removing the shifter boot and fail. The boot just shifts on the chrome ring, but the ring won't budge. I can peel the boot all the way back and still can't get it to disengage. Maybe I just need to give up......yet I too was able to install a supercharger on my G8 but can't tackle step1 of this install. WTF?
Old 11-26-2016, 07:57 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by 08G8V8
I guess this may be a sign I am not meant to do this mod.....tried ordering today and kept getting a error charging my card with 3 different credit cards. So I figured I would call and order on Monday, so I read this how to and watched the MGW vids, and I go out to the garage to tackle STEP 1, removing the shifter boot and fail. The boot just shifts on the chrome ring, but the ring won't budge. I can peel the boot all the way back and still can't get it to disengage. Maybe I just need to give up......yet I too was able to install a supercharger on my G8 but can't tackle step1 of this install. WTF?
It's not A fun task.It can be stubborn.I decided to take mine to A local shop.I get heated when things don't go well and start looking for the hammer,lol.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:23 PM
08G8V8
Racer

It does look like a very easy install, except for the rubber boot portion, but I guess not if I can't get past the initial step! I am only 2 hours from MGW, but not sure if they do installs, but I will ask Monday when I call to order. Might be worth the drive.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:30 PM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

It does look like a very easy install, except for the rubber boot portion, but I guess not if I can't get past the initial step! I am only 2 hours from MGW, but not sure if they do installs, but I will ask Monday when I call to order. Might be worth the drive.
They did A year or so ago at the same price.Someone that does it all. The time can do it fairly quickly.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:13 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

I wrapped mine with a piece of cloth and used pliers and it came right off. My boot was slipping on the factory ring so the ring was not turning. Once I got it off I had to reinstall the boot on the ring and get the rubber o-ring back on. It easy to do if you turn the boot inside out when you re-install it. Good luck.
08G8V8 (11-27-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To How-To: Install Short Shifter / Replace Stock Shifter

Old 11-27-2016, 08:48 AM
08G8V8
Racer

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
I wrapped mine with a piece of cloth and used pliers and it came right off. My boot was slipping on the factory ring so the ring was not turning. Once I got it off I had to reinstall the boot on the ring and get the rubber o-ring back on. It easy to do if you turn the boot inside out when you re-install it. Good luck.
Thank you! I was able to twist it like this. And was able to also get the boot back over the ring without taking it apart. Now the ring twists easily, just as shown in the MGW video, which makes sense because in the video they had already had the console apart and shifter installed. Definitely didn't twist easily on my car without some persuasion from the pliers.

Feel all should go smooth until installing the rubber boot everyone seems to have issues with, so it's guaranteed to give me issues!

And I just tried re-ordering on the website and the order went through this time.

Last edited by 08G8V8; 11-27-2016 at 08:53 AM.
braveheart3158 (05-02-2021)
Old 11-27-2016, 09:03 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Thank you! I was able to twist it like this. And was able to also get the boot back over the ring without taking it apart. Now the ring twists easily, just as shown in the MGW video, which makes sense because in the video they had already had the console apart and shifter installed. Definitely didn't twist easily on my car without some persuasion from the pliers.

Feel all should go smooth until installing the rubber boot everyone seems to have issues with, so it's guaranteed to give me issues!

And I just tried re-ordering on the website and the order went through this time.
Glad it worked! I love this forum. No matter what you're working on somebody else has probably run into the same problem and found a solution. I've gotten a lot of good tips here. Glad I could help out.

Last edited by badhabit_wb; 11-27-2016 at 09:04 AM.
08G8V8 (11-27-2016)
Old 03-22-2017, 02:40 PM
CourtneyJudd
Pro

Received 169 Likes on 95 Posts
Default copy of pdf

I am also thinking about doing this project.
Thanks so much for your effort to make this easy for others.
i would like a copy of the pdf when finished....
could you email me one at k4wi@k4wi.net ?
Thanks, Courtney

Originally Posted by slief
Great work Theta! That's incredibly detailed and very useful. This will be very helpful for me next week when I install my MGW shifter. I copied everything you put here into a document which I have nicely formatted. Once you are complete with this, I will finish the document and convert it to a printable PDF which I wil add to this thread with credit to you, That way it can be easily printed and used by other members while working in their car as they proceed with their install. I know I will be using this as a guide line when I install mine next week. Thanks again for the great contributions!!!

Quick Reply: How-To: Install Short Shifter / Replace Stock Shifter