C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic C7 Trans Overheating on track

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 07:09 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Davis
Yes, I overheated the trans there too.

Having said that, the track layout we were using was obviously less stressful on the transmission than the track I normally run. Plus, the way the class is run, even with the fastest group we weren't really starting to push things until the second half of the second day, so most people are not really stressing the cars at all. They also mentioned something about a minor mod to give the transmission more air, but I don't know the details.
I would like to know which is the minor mod.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:15 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C7Z51
Can someone send me the link to Tadge saying the car was made to last a full day(full tank?) on the track? I think it was in a magazine article? I'm trying to setup a class action lawsuit with my lawyer.
Keep us posted
Old 10-13-2017, 07:28 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
In the An optional cooling pack for C7 (track use or other) post on the Ask Tadge forum he says "...For example, the front-mounted supplemental trans cooler developed for the Z06 automatic will be included in the Z51 package for automatic coupes starting in the 2016 model year." Later he adds"...but we will make every effort to make sure that the changes are backwards-compatible to vehicles already produced."
This never happened, those parts have not been available for prior years, without risking to lose the Powertrain warranty. Tadge and neither GM went by their word, they only care for future sales and just forget about their loyal customers. Let's see if I buy another product from them, probably I would go instead to their competition.

Last edited by 911Hunter; 10-13-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:43 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

I went to Sebring on Saturday and Sunday. I figured I would give you guys an update on how the car performed. There were 3 hours of track time each day with a 30 minute warm up. The transmission was fine for the 30 minute warm up but then overheated 90 minutes later about 20 minutes into my first 30 minute track session. I was by all means not pushing the car hard as I was unfamiliar with the track. The exhaust wrap seemed to help a bit. The transmission lasted the whole 30 minute track session when I manually shifted but trans temps were hovering around 260. I didn't finish the last 90 minutes of track time on Saturday as the car was beeping non stop after the DIC transmission overheat message came on. I cooled down the car, let it sit for 20 minutes off and even tried restarting the car 7 times to see if the beeping would stop, temp was around 180. Finally about an hour into my drive home, I stopped to get a bite to eat and forgot to fasten my seatbelt when I left. Oddly enough, once the seatbelt chime/DIC message popped up and I fastened my seatbelt, the beeping stopped.

Today I went to the dealer and they pulled all the parts required to mount the front end Z06 cooler on my car. All in all, the parts are going to cost around $1k for the radiator and lines. I'm waiting on the tech to call me back with the cost to install. I also contacted GM technical support to see if they can cover it under warranty. We'll see what happens.
Sounds like an expensive fix for a cure to GM's mistake Did it work better? Was it covered by GM's warranty?
Old 10-13-2017, 07:49 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 5thGear
I just finished talking to GM Customer service. They told me to get a secondary cooler installed at the dealer at my own risk and cost. I don't think they even know what I am talking about it. They said unless the issue is a recall, they will not cover it.
The dealer told me that its impossible to know if this would work or not. They are also worry that programming might be needed for temperature sensors. They recommended that I trade in my 2015 for a 2016 which would have a secondary cooler. I will not do.
If its not too much trouble, Would you mind posting/PM what part numbers are need for the secondary cooler?
I was expecting this answer from GM, they only care of keeping selling. They want customers to pay for their wrong engineering design mistakes. That is completely B.S.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:56 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Here's an easier view of just the main drawings:

So it seems that the '14 A6 overheating issue was left completely out of the equation. No solution.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:18 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by descartesfool
I reported that my AFM actuators failed last June on my first day on track. Also that the manager of the Ron Fellows school confirmed they were having the same issue when cars were driven hard by the instructors, and that GM knew about the issue. I had mine replaced last year and dealer told me they did not have an upgraded part at that time. Too bad that they have come up with a new part that still fails. What was GM thinking when they called these the Most track capable corvette ever. Are they incompetent or stupid thinking these issues would not show up in customer cars?
Old 10-13-2017, 09:46 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Running the required lines for the front cooler won't be a fun, fast, or cheap task.

When the Z06 was introduced most of the after-market side skirt manufacturers cautioned in their instructions to use caution when installing the driver's side skirt to avoid drilling into the cooler lines that lie just above the rocker panel because repair/replacement would be very expensive and difficult.
The following users liked this post:
911Hunter (11-24-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 08:23 AM
911Hunter
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911Hunter
I'm very disappointed after taking my A6 '14 Stingray Z51 to my local PCA track for DE, I thought that my Stingray that was track ready with the Z51 package was going to beat or at least give a strong competition to the other sport cars there. The Stingray Z51 was not able to finish any of the 3 trial courses that I drive, it did not mater if I went in full auto or paddle shift, sport or competition mode, even that the transmission shifted greatly always I unfinished the course because my transmission overheated in less than 5 minutes of tracking the way the car was supposed to perform, it was a full day event at just 83 F and I left at half day very embarrassed and worried if my car could have a major failure if I continued there. Shame on GM of selling a supposed Z51 track ready automatic that is not well equiped with sufficient transmission cooling for the track. The car looks great, has great handling, strong engine, great transmission, just the transmission cooling is a big joke and very embarrassing that it was the only car that did not finished, even embarrassed by a couple of Honda Civics that were doing better. And then GM does not give a solution to us or allow us to upgrade that cooling issue, letting us know that we could lose or Powertrain warranty if we do an upgrade on our own, this is a complete B.S.
I have went to the track with a Porsche 911 and '11 Mustang GT 5.0 even on hotter weather and never had a shameful experience like this.
Here I share the picture of my dash, showing the transmission temperature, before cool down.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 911Hunter; 11-24-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:16 PM
Deepdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 430 Likes on 251 Posts

it's been awhile since the last post on this thread. Has there been any new developments on cooling upgrades for the 2015 A8's??
Old 01-16-2019, 07:19 PM
ap6954
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Deepdiver
it's been awhile since the last post on this thread. Has there been any new developments on cooling upgrades for the 2015 A8's??
For a 2015 you are fighting a losing battle until you add another cooler or a much bigger one. I have fought that battle. I added the GM secondary cooler and all the GM tubing and clips up front by the radiator over a year ago that is now on all z51’s and my trans temps don’t go above 200 F on track on a hot day running hard on slicks. You could not tell it’s not a factory install.

Last edited by ap6954; 01-16-2019 at 08:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 11:36 AM
Deepdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 430 Likes on 251 Posts

^ What was the cost of all the parts? What was the cost of the labor?
Old 01-17-2019, 01:21 PM
ap6954
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oling-kit.html

Go to the above thread and read though it. All the info you need about adding the aux trans cooler to a 2015 A8. Three of us have done the install like the original poster, Bill did. Cost? I think $1400 in parts. We each did it all ourselves so the labor was “free”. I can’t remember how long it took. I think it’s documented in the thread somewhere. Can you do it cheaper? Probably by using braided line and installing it so you don’t have to disassemble the whole driver side of the car to run the tubing but we all wanted OEM look and parts.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:22 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 641 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by ap6954

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oling-kit.html

Go to the above thread and read though it. All the info you need about adding the aux trans cooler to a 2015 A8. Three of us have done the install like the original poster, Bill did. Cost? I think $1400 in parts. We each did it all ourselves so the labor was “free”. I can’t remember how long it took. I think it’s documented in the thread somewhere. Can you do it cheaper? Probably by using braided line and installing it so you don’t have to disassemble the whole driver side of the car to run the tubing but we all wanted OEM look and parts.
We have options for transmission cooling for about the same cost with all brackets lines, fittings and hardware needed to install.

Quick Reply: Automatic C7 Trans Overheating on track