C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported & coated stock exhaust manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 09:32 AM
NinjaZX14r
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Stock Ported Manifold Results

So basically you get 11 HP increase, for a $300.00 porting job, $80.00 to Ceramic Coat it, plus shipping charges, and all labor to install, plus q set of stock gaskets.

That is a lot of money and effort and time just to gain 11 HP and keep a stock look.

NInja
Old 01-05-2016, 09:40 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,823 Likes on 2,961 Posts

Similar cost and gains as an intake, and better HP/$ than the optional NPP exhaust

MikeyTX is doing a before/after dyno test of the ARH mid-lengths on the same dyno so that will be a good comparison to see how the gains compare at 3x the cost of ported/coated exhaust manifolds.

Last edited by Kracka; 01-05-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:51 PM
VERBOTEN
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Subscribed
Old 01-05-2016, 08:23 PM
NinjaZX14r
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Waiting

Originally Posted by Kracka
Similar cost and gains as an intake, and better HP/$ than the optional NPP exhaust

MikeyTX is doing a before/after dyno test of the ARH mid-lengths on the same dyno so that will be a good comparison to see how the gains compare at 3x the cost of ported/coated exhaust manifolds.
Anxious to see the two comparisons in HP and cost in terms of each item, labor, shipping, gaskets, install and such.

If ARH can come up with a header to join the Corsa X pipe without throwing a code and come up with 21-25 HP without tuning.....and have a decent price....that would be interesting...

Only thing better would be to get the headers double ceramic coated out of the box!

Ninja
Old 01-06-2016, 10:08 AM
kotik
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 22 Posts

so ceramic coating, can someone expand on this. I'm not great in physics (I took it in HS), but heat can't disappear, it has to dissipate, right? So, if it's not dissipating in the engine bay (like it normally would with stock manifolds), it will start to dissipate near catalytic converters and the hpipe connection. Isn't that where the oil cooler is located? Wouldn't that heat up the oil even more? I'm already having oil temp issues, and I don't need to add to that.

$300 for 10hp, $30/hp... not too bad (SC adds 150hp for about $5500). With headers u almost always have to include a tune, (which will void ur warranty if u ever have engine issues) which when added to the cost of headers is about $500-1k extra, so $2-3k for header set up for a gain of 20-30hp, $100/hp.

would adding ported header, CAI, and xpipe give me about 30hp without a tune?
Old 01-06-2016, 10:13 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kotik
so ceramic coating, can someone expand on this. I'm not great in physics (I took it in HS), but heat can't disappear, it has to dissipate, right? So, if it's not dissipating in the engine bay (like it normally would with stock manifolds), it will start to dissipate near catalytic converters and the hpipe connection. Isn't that where the oil cooler is located? Wouldn't that heat up the oil even more? I'm already having oil temp issues, and I don't need to add to that.

would adding ported header, CAI, and xpipe give me about 30hp without a tune?
You are correct in that it moves the heat downstream, but the real beneficial part is getting it out of the engine bay. Between these ceramic coated manifolds and adding a bottle of Redline Water Wetter to the cooling system, my car runs noticeably cooler (coolant & oil temps) now than it did when completely stock. Removing the secondary cats in the factory X-pipe will also help move the heat downstream since that is once less place for it to collect.

+30whp for the three mods you mentioned w/o a tune is likely a bit high, but 20-25 would not surprise me.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:48 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

More pictures, along with comments from the porter:

You will notice how much material was removed on the manifold flange, this area was gasket matched to remove any flow restriction coming from the cylinder head. Gasket matching the manifold flange creates a step on the cylinder head, (reversion layer), that restricts any exhaust pressure/pulses from going back into the cylinder head. Any exhaust making its way back into the combustion chamber during the intake stroke is never good for power production.

Stock VS Ported

Before and after collector

Typically I would not need to have such a polished texture if the parts were going to be ceramic coated. Our sand blast cabinet will evenly texture the surface with 80-grit aluminum oxide. The blast cabinet can easily fit long tube headers, x-pipes and some mid-pipes.

Once sandblasted, parts are carefully handled and ceramic coated using industry leading ceramics from Cerakote. We chose to apply Jet black ceramic for a stealth look. The ceramic coating is applied both inside and outside of the manifold and cured at 650F for 1 hr. Once cured, the part is ready to be installed with no further break-in required.

Last edited by Kracka; 01-06-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:58 PM
kotik
Burning Brakes

You are correct in that it moves the heat downstream, but the real beneficial part is getting it out of the engine bay. Between these ceramic coated manifolds and adding a bottle of Redline Water Wetter to the cooling system, my car runs noticeably cooler (coolant & oil temps) now than it did when completely stock. Removing the secondary cats in the factory X-pipe will also help move the heat downstream since that is once less place for it to collect.

+30whp for the three mods you mentioned w/o a tune is likely a bit high, but 20-25 would not surprise me.
I just like number 500, even if its at the crank

Ok, thanks for the water wetter tip, ill look into that. It was my understanding that the placement of the oil cooler too close to the exhaust is one of the main reasons why the oil temp is so high, so im just not convinced how ceramic coating is gonna help. Heat in the engine bay shouldnt have an effect on the oil temp. Id love to see some kind of under the bonnet temps with ceramic coated headers vs without. I never have coolant temp issues, but my wngine oil temps (along with tranny temps) start to creep up after hard driving (with a few insances going up towards the red, especially tranny temps). P.S. I drive on the autobahn.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:59 PM
kotik
Burning Brakes

More pictures, along with comments from the porter:

You will notice how much material was removed on the manifold flange, this area was gasket matched to remove any flow restriction coming from the cylinder head. Gasket matching the manifold flange creates a step on the cylinder head, (reversion layer), that restricts any exhaust pressure/pulses from going back into the cylinder head. Any exhaust making its way back into the combustion chamber during the intake stroke is never good for power production.

Stock VS Ported

Before and after collector

Typically I would not need to have such a polished texture if the parts were going to be ceramic coated. Our sand blast cabinet will evenly texture the surface with 80-grit aluminum oxide. The blast cabinet can easily fit long tube headers, x-pipes and some mid-pipes.

Once sandblasted, parts are carefully handled and ceramic coated using industry leading ceramics from Cerakote. We chose to apply Jet black ceramic for a stealth look. The ceramic coating is applied both inside and outside of the manifold and cured at 650F for 1 hr. Once cured, the part is ready to be installed with no further break-in required.

Great description, im sold on the product, but not ceramic coating.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:07 PM
Dogfather6
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Pictures never really do justice to the porting work, except these! I am sure in person they will look even Godlier!!! What a FANTASTIC WORK!
Old 01-06-2016, 05:46 PM
Jet Vet
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 116 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Wow! Sure exceeds my expectations!

JV
Old 01-07-2016, 08:22 AM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 562 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Those manifolds look great. I agree that I would like to see more about the benefits of the ceramic coating. To be honest all my cars in the past had ceramic coated exhaust manifolds or headers, but with the vett I'm considering to forgo the coating to make sure my warrantee stays intact so the techs don't see the coating.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:22 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jet Vet
Wow! Sure exceeds my expectations!

JV

Next up, he'll be getting them on a flowbench.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:24 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by chefcg1
Those manifolds look great. I agree that I would like to see more about the benefits of the ceramic coating. To be honest all my cars in the past had ceramic coated exhaust manifolds or headers, but with the vett I'm considering to forgo the coating to make sure my warrantee stays intact so the techs don't see the coating.
Understandable. Without coating, these will obviously be 100% stock appearing unless removed from the car.
The following users liked this post:
marcouvo (01-18-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 10:33 AM
VERBOTEN
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

QUOTE]Those manifolds look great. I agree that I would like to see more about the benefits of the ceramic coating. To be honest all my cars in the past had ceramic coated exhaust manifolds or headers, but with the vett I'm considering to forgo the coating to make sure my warrantee stays intact so the techs don't see the coating.[/QUOTE]

Have you thought about adding header wrap instead....the techs might chuckle, but probably wouldn't think much about it. I've done this in the past and used the excuse that there was a hot spot in the floor.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:54 PM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Next up, he'll be getting them on a flowbench.
They look as if they took more out of the center runners than the last shop that was doing them, curious to see the flow bench results.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:33 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by chefcg1
They look as if they took more out of the center runners than the last shop that was doing them, curious to see the flow bench results.
I am too! I'll be looking at both the overall increase and the runner balance. I like the look of the extra work in the collector, we'll see how translates into airflow!

Last edited by Kracka; 01-10-2016 at 10:34 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ported & coated stock exhaust manifolds

Old 01-14-2016, 03:04 PM
Mr. Jones
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Are the runner walls checked for material thickness after porting?
Will the manifold crack after it has been heat cycled for say 6 months a year?
I like the idea of the ported stock manifold but I don't want a cracked manifold.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:29 PM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

I know they were checked after the initial prototype manifolds were done to ensure enough thickness for durability, but whether or not each individual manifold is checked would be a question for the porter himself.

I've had mine installed for a full year (~10k miles) now, including multiple cross-country roadtrips. I've also run ported/coated cast manifolds on numerous other cars and never once had a failure. I unfortunately can't say the same for tubular headers I've previously tried.
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Jones (01-15-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 10:36 AM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Any updates on flow?

Quick Reply: Ported & coated stock exhaust manifolds