C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How-To: Remove/Replace outside rearview mirror

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 11:28 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15
Default How-To: Remove/Replace outside rearview mirror

The following How-To covers the explanation of how to Remove/Replace the Outside Rearview Mirrors and includes specifications, schematics, etc.

These How-To guides are neither endorsed by or property of Corvette Forum or myself in any way/shape/form. All liability stemming from any actions taken in relation to these guides is solely placed upon the user.

We hope you will find these guides useful.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:28 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Name:  RuuF0KB.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  298.2 KB
Old 01-26-2015, 11:29 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

See the following How-To for Front Side Door Trim Replacement:

Driver Side: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rim-panel.html

Passenger Side: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rim-panel.html
Old 04-08-2017, 10:29 AM
C6BlkVette
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just posted this question in the wrong thread (door trim replacement) so re-posting here: is it possible to replace just the portion of the rearview mirror (driver's side in my case) at the swivel joint? On mine the approx inch and half base between the door and the swivel joint is OK, only need to replace the shroud and mirror. Appreciate any feedback.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:34 AM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I think you'll have to get to it from inside the door, which means it's all gotta come off if you want the housing off. The mirrors just pop off, so you could at least do that and take a look. If I remember right, everything holding it on is inside the door. Mirror removal:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ror-glass.html
The following users liked this post:
C6BlkVette (04-09-2017)
Old 12-18-2018, 04:33 AM
Pineapple
Burning Brakes

Received 794 Likes on 381 Posts

Just an update for those interested, you can remove the upper mirror housing without taking off the interior door panel. I just did this when swapping to APR carbon fiber mirror housings. Rotate the entire mirror housing assembly to expose x2 torx screws on the bottom side where the felt liner is. It’s a tight fit so use a combination of a torx bit and a tiny wrench to get to it. Pop out the mirror itself to expose a few more torx screws. Remove those along with the mirrors motor assembly and the entire upper mirror housing will slide off.

If you need to remove the base of the mirror housing you will have to remove the interior door panel following the instructions on the first post. Here is a tip: you do not need to remove water deflector cover to access the x3 nuts holding the mirror assembly to the door. Just remove the 10” woofer and you’ll have much better access to the x3 nuts.

Last edited by Pineapple; 12-18-2018 at 04:37 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:28 AM
Pineapple
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dekaliber
@Pineapple Thanks for sharing that — I know this is an old thread but I just scraped the edge of my mirror on the side of my garage while pulling out this morning (facepalm). It's not awful but it's annoying enough on a new car that I'd like to get it repainted. I'm hoping to just remove the upper part of the housing so I can take it to a bodyshop to get resprayed without having to bring the whole car in.

The outside torx screw seems easy enough to access but how the heck do you access the one on the inside between the mirror and the car? I can't even see it...

Anything to be careful about when popping off the mirror glass in terms of damaging the motor or any clips?
Swivel the mirror housing in the other direction to gain access to that torx screw. Clearance is too tight to get your screwdriver in, so I used a torx bit and a small wrench to get to that torx screw.

It's not really possible to damage the mirror motor itself since it was designed to pivot around if you force it. It is possible to break the 4 plastic clips attached the mirror itself if you just yank it out from 1 side. The safest way to do this is using both hands to pull the mirror out. You want to distribute the "pull" evenly as to not break the clips.

You can refer to the pictures from my post here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598554904

Last edited by Pineapple; 05-02-2019 at 02:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dekaliber (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 01:15 PM
Pineapple
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dekaliber
Did you use a pry tool to remove the mirror glass or does tilting it give you enough room to get in there with your fingers?
Tilting it down slightly will give you enough clearance to get your fingers underneath.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pineapple:
dekaliber (05-03-2019), McCarthy1986 (03-01-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To How-To: Remove/Replace outside rearview mirror

Quick Reply: How-To: Remove/Replace outside rearview mirror