C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP Reverse-Engineered - Full Open/Close, Non-Factory-NPP Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 03:59 AM
red 1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by smola
I have few of them, anyone interested PM me. Ant is using one of mine too. The boards are fully equipped and tested. I can supply also connectors. npp control board , connectors, and fuse bypass
​​​​​​​
This kit works, I bought mine from this guy, board connectors and all.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:40 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by smola
I have few of them, anyone interested PM me. Ant is using one of mine too. The boards are fully equipped and tested. I can supply also connectors. npp control board , connectors, and fuse bypass
​​​​​​​
Wow awesome. I didn't know you still had a few left!
Old 02-20-2018, 05:11 PM
mayhem2408
3rd Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I am currently working on a new controller which will require no installation of switched. It is controlled from an Android Phone (and maybe iPhone in the future) using bluetooth.

This is an early prototype simple to prove the system works. I have nearly everything I need to build a working prototype except for the 5 pin plugs.

Here is a video of my proof of concept and is where I am at so far. It is fully functional but not practical and far from pretty.

Last edited by mayhem2408; 03-12-2018 at 05:13 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by mayhem2408:
Boiler_81 (03-15-2018), Cashie (02-21-2018), FYREANT (02-21-2018), RichAshley-Black99 (03-14-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 05:45 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by mayhem2408
I am currently working on a new controller which will require no installation of switched. It is controlled from an Android Phone (and maybe iPhone in the future) using bluetooth.

This is an early prototype simple to proof the system works. I have nearly everything I need to build a working prototype except for the 5 pin plugs.

Here is a video of my proof of concept and is where I am at so far. It is fully functional but not practical and far from pretty.
https://youtu.be/jodcE-Cxfoo
The biggest challenge with this is (I have a true retrofit so speaking from experience) is that in order to be able to start the car up with the valves closed you have to use either always hot power and remember to turn the valves on before start up (and off after you park the car) or you have to find an switches accessory power source and then you have to go through the whole process once the power is on.

I had mine on the first setup with always hot power and it was hard switched with a toggle switch by my right leg. If I forgot to turn it off, it would obviously kill the battery. Except for the high pitched sound you get from the valves having power running to them you would sometimes not even notice the were on (closed position). The same sound I hear in you clip when you activate them.

Where are you planning to tap in to power for this since there is no existing wiring for you to tap in to? Also I would recommend not tapping in to the 20A fuse for the 12V accessory plug as many are already tapping that for their methanol systems.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:52 PM
mayhem2408
3rd Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
The biggest challenge with this is (I have a true retrofit so speaking from experience) is that in order to be able to start the car up with the valves closed you have to use either always hot power and remember to turn the valves on before start up (and off after you park the car) or you have to find an switches accessory power source and then you have to go through the whole process once the power is on.

Where are you planning to tap in to power for this since there is no existing wiring for you to tap in to? Also I would recommend not tapping in to the 20A fuse for the 12V accessory plug as many are already tapping that for their methanol systems.
I have done some testing on the valve and it appears to draw about 2-3 amps during the close operation but does not draw much power holding it closed. There are a number of options I can play with. One would be to tap directly off the battery and run a replay off the accessory to switch battery power on and off. The relay will draw very little power, less than 50mA from the accessory and the relay will supply battery power directly to the circuit.

For me, I will simple tap off the accessory power as I don't draw much current there. But if this causes a problem, the above method could be used. It's personal preference where people tap their power from and will be different for different vehicles. I plan to have the ability to set via Bluetooth to ability to power up using the previous valve state, or power up with the valve closed, or power up with the valve open (Saved in the Arduino EEPROM). All this is planned and not implemented yet. I have simply designed a basic circuit and Arduino code to control the valve to prove the it will work. Obviously this project is in its very early days, but I think the end result will work out great.
The following users liked this post:
FYREANT (02-21-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 08:59 PM
red 1
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mayhem2408

This is an early prototype simple to proof the system works. I have nearly everything I need to build a working prototype except for the 5 pin plugs.

https://youtu.be/jodcE-Cxfoo
Here is the link for the 5 pin connectors.

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/1-...FVA8Twod6j4HTw

the manufacturer part number is 1-1718806-1 and is also available from several other suppliers such as mouser.

Last edited by red 1; 02-24-2018 at 09:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by red 1:
FYREANT (02-24-2018), mayhem2408 (02-26-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 10:33 PM
ht_pro
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey thank you for this!! Much appreciated

Originally Posted by red 1
Here is the link for the 5 pin connectors.

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/1-...FVA8Twod6j4HTw

the manufacturer part number is 1-1718806-1 and is also available from several other suppliers such as mouser.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:01 AM
Mr2times
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow awesome. I didn't know you still had a few left!
Got very excited when I saw post that there is still some left.
I tried to PM about it but it says Smola's PM storage is full. I can see why haha
Is it still possible to get my hands on one of these brilliant kits?
Old 03-25-2018, 08:38 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Mr2times
Got very excited when I saw post that there is still some left.
I tried to PM about it but it says Smola's PM storage is full. I can see why haha
Is it still possible to get my hands on one of these brilliant kits?
If you don’t get ahold of him within a week, PM me and let me know. I can ping him via email.

Ant
Old 03-26-2018, 12:27 AM
Mr2times
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don’t get ahold of him within a week, PM me and let me know. I can ping him via email.

Ant

​​​​​​Thanks Ant! Smola was very good in reaching out to me and it's now all sorted.

I'm very excited to receive my kit!

& Thanks Smola!!!
Old 03-26-2018, 12:18 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Mr2times
​​​​​​Thanks Ant! Smola was very good in reaching out to me and it's now all sorted.

I'm very excited to receive my kit!

& Thanks Smola!!!
Good deal!
Old 04-25-2018, 10:51 AM
ChristianAnarchist
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Tried to message Theta to see if it's possible to buy any of these parts but so far no response. Does anyone know if he's selling?

Also tried smola but message says his inbox is full.

Thanks.

Last edited by ChristianAnarchist; 04-25-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:01 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist
Tried to message Theta to see if it's possible to buy any of these parts but so far no response. Does anyone know if he's selling?

Also tried smola but message says his inbox is full.

Thanks.
Theta hasn’t signed into the site for a couple years. Not sure what happened, but he was deaing with medical issues back then.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:44 AM
Tech4882
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

FYI for those interested in building a breadboard circuit. I think I discovered a discrepancy between the circuit schematic diagram and the breadboard layout. I built a breadboard according to the schematic and could not get it to work (measuring frequency with an oscilloscope), so I reviewed the first breadboard design and discovered that the duty cycle resistors connect to the +10 volt line rather than the 10k resistor as shown on the schematic. I made the change and it worked great. PM me if you'd like more details.
ht_pro (05-12-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 09:42 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Tech4882
FYI for those interested in building a breadboard circuit. I think I discovered a discrepancy between the circuit schematic diagram and the breadboard layout. I built a breadboard according to the schematic and could not get it to work (measuring frequency with an oscilloscope), so I reviewed the first breadboard design and discovered that the duty cycle resistors connect to the +10 volt line rather than the 10k resistor as shown on the schematic. I made the change and it worked great. PM me if you'd like more details.
Are you able to build a couple for forum members by chance? I know several have mentioned they would like to buy a “plug and play” retrofit setup.
ht_pro (05-12-2018)
Old 05-12-2018, 04:35 AM
ht_pro
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you able to build a couple for forum members by chance? I know several have mentioned they would like to buy a “plug and play” retrofit setup.
I may be one of those said members. Or if you did have a schematic and bill of material handy then I could wire it. I'm an Industrial Engineer who took Circuits and Physics. And yes Ant, I still have my Z06 mufflers that I have not mounted and I still want to

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Old 05-12-2018, 09:35 AM
Tech4882
Advanced

I can provide the schematic and BOM. All parts are available on Amazon except the valve connectors which are available at DigiKey or similar electronic parts suppliers. Access to an oscilloscope to test the performance is recommended. An inexpensive one that I use (Hantek HT6022BE20Mhz) is also available on Amazon. As soon as I complete, I'll post the parts list and schematic.

This is the breadboard layout provided by Theta that I used.
FYREANT (05-12-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To NPP Reverse-Engineered - Full Open/Close, Non-Factory-NPP Retrofit

Old 05-12-2018, 05:46 PM
Tech4882
Advanced

Here's the bread board back side interconnects.

Attachment 48283707

Last edited by Tech4882; 05-16-2021 at 04:14 PM.
FYREANT (05-12-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 09:31 AM
Tech4882
Advanced

Default Revised NPP schematic

Here's the corrected schematic.

Last edited by Tech4882; 05-16-2021 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:27 PM
Tech4882
Advanced

Here's another link for the valve control connector.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?...ds=1-1718806-1

Quick Reply: NPP Reverse-Engineered - Full Open/Close, Non-Factory-NPP Retrofit