C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Course Upgrades Review DeWitts, Wilwood Z06 Grills

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 04:49 PM
axr6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by leadville1
I just spent two days at Road America...

...DeWitts Radiator - The radiator made a tremendous difference on the track, my water temps never went over 220 degrees even after a 30 minute session, the highest oil temp I saw was 210 degrees. While cruising on the highway my water temps hover at 190-200 and my oil temps are staying around 180 degrees. This single upgrade solves your cooling issues.
Were you driving in the upper RPM ranges (4-6k) for the full 30 minutes on the track? You are showing some surprisingly low oil temperatures for track usage. I always figured that the oil cooling would be the main problem but, if the DeWitts radiator alone brings those numbers down this much, all the better!

Bingo and ceramic coat your headers. That is what I have.

Temps are fully under control with what I have done to mine. The DeWitts by far made the biggest change. Even in 80 degree heat in traffic with the air on the temps are staying at 200 degrees water and around 200 oil.
I don't have ANY issues either with the water and oil temps with my stock C7 under normal, low RPM driving conditions even exceeding 90 degrees ambients. Just like your numbers above. However, as soon as I raise the RPMs and put some load on the engine, particularly in lower, 2nd or 3rd gears, the oil temps skyrocket to 300 degrees within a very few minutes while the water staying around 230-240 degrees.

So, it is the high RPM, heavy load performance of the DeWitts radiator that I would like to read about. If you (or anyone) could comfirm that the DeWitts would keep my temps down under those conditions, I'd be happy to purchase one and not worry about temperatures any more.

Thanks for your posts on the subject.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:35 AM
Jet Vet
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 116 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Does the DeWitts radiator void the manufacturers warranty?
Old 07-08-2015, 08:07 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet Vet
Does the DeWitts radiator void the manufacturers warranty?
only on the radiator and probably any coolant leaks in the future will be pinned on the radiator (even though it isn't related). also anything that happens during installation would not be covered, like broken tabs, missing screws, etc.

I like to have my dealer install the mods I can't do in the garage. they are happy to help.$$
Old 07-10-2015, 07:09 AM
leadville1
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by axr6
Were you driving in the upper RPM ranges (4-6k) for the full 30 minutes on the track? You are showing some surprisingly low oil temperatures for track usage. I always figured that the oil cooling would be the main problem but, if the DeWitts radiator alone brings those numbers down this much, all the better!

I don't have ANY issues either with the water and oil temps with my stock C7 under normal, low RPM driving conditions even exceeding 90 degrees ambients. Just like your numbers above. However, as soon as I raise the RPMs and put some load on the engine, particularly in lower, 2nd or 3rd gears, the oil temps skyrocket to 300 degrees within a very few minutes while the water staying around 230-240 degrees.

So, it is the high RPM, heavy load performance of the DeWitts radiator that I would like to read about. If you (or anyone) could comfirm that the DeWitts would keep my temps down under those conditions, I'd be happy to purchase one and not worry about temperatures any more.

Thanks for your posts on the subject.
Trust me I live at high RPM's and full load for the entire session at the track and the DeWitts is keeping it cool. There is NO downside to this modification.

There are a few tricks to installing it. They had to install some spacers in my hood vent to get it to clear without interference and they trim where the mounting brackets go slightly.

I can't imagine owning a Z06 and not having this radiator. For a Z51 it makes it far better at heat management on the track.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:14 AM
sigelitest
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Trust me I live at high RPM's and full load for the entire session at the track and the DeWitts is keeping it cool. There is NO downside to this modification.

There are a few tricks to installing it. They had to install some spacers in my hood vent to get it to clear without interference and they trim where the mounting brackets go slightly.

I can't imagine owning a Z06 and not having this radiator. For a Z51 it makes it far better at heat management on the track.
will it fit into a regular stingray with out modding anything. also do i use the one for a z51? I dont see one that fits on their website.

Last edited by sigelitest; 07-13-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:23 AM
GoldenOne
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my experience with upgrades this weekend

I have done the following upgrades so far:
dewitts radiator, LMR 160 tstat with adjusted fan settings, header wrap and oil cooler heat shield. My car is Z51 M7 with procharger.
I ran streets of willow springs temp 90 deg weather.
I was able to run all 4 sessions. Staying in 3 and 4th gears mostly. My highest temp oil temp was 275 on the last run. engine and transmission temps were not an issue. Previously I was not able to run all sessions due to oil temp.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:11 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenOne
dewitts radiator, LMR 160 tstat with adjusted fan settings, header wrap and oil cooler heat shield. My car is Z51 M7 with procharger.
I was able to run all 4 sessions. Staying in 3 and 4th gears mostly. My highest temp oil temp was 275 on the last run. engine and transmission temps were not an issue. Previously I was not able to run all sessions due to oil temp.
Does Dewitts radiator have the in and out on the same side (double pass)?

Streets of Willow is pretty technical small track so not having big straight (high air flow) could be a factor. I guess we need a better oil cooler regardless.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:26 PM
axr6
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

275 is still very high for oil temps, particularly considering that you were staying in 3rd and 4th gears only. Had you used 2nd and 3rd, most likely your oil temps would be considerably higher.

As it seems, the real solution will be primarily a better oil cooler or, the combination of the radiator + oil cooler.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:58 PM
GoldenOne
Advanced

Originally Posted by AliZ51
Does Dewitts radiator have the in and out on the same side (double pass)?

Streets of Willow is pretty technical small track so not having big straight (high air flow) could be a factor. I guess we need a better oil cooler regardless.
location is same as stock radiator.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:01 PM
GoldenOne
Advanced

Originally Posted by axr6
275 is still very high for oil temps, particularly considering that you were staying in 3rd and 4th gears only. Had you used 2nd and 3rd, most likely your oil temps would be considerably higher.

As it seems, the real solution will be primarily a better oil cooler or, the combination of the radiator + oil cooler.
the supercharger contributes to that heat. i ran chuck walla in the desert over 100 deg and oil didn't get close to that before supercharged.

Last edited by GoldenOne; 07-13-2015 at 02:02 PM. Reason: forgot sentence
Old 07-13-2015, 04:16 PM
sigelitest
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

location is same as stock radiator.

So is it a drop in from the stock radiator and which one did u use. I cant find one that is spec-ed out for the 2015 stingray
Old 07-13-2015, 06:35 PM
GoldenOne
Advanced

Originally Posted by sigelitest
So is it a drop in from the stock radiator and which one did u use. I cant find one that is spec-ed out for the 2015 stingray
it is drop in. i think i ordered mine with LMR. check their website.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:09 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

check with Ben@WeaponX
Old 08-01-2016, 05:17 PM
pishta50
2nd Gear

I see you did the DEI Titanium wrap on the pipes. It helped me also. DEI just came out with a Catalytic converter shield and oil line sheath just for the C7. Even knocking out the heat coming off the converter not soaking into the lines or the cooler helped me tremendously.

It works really well and I can take off and on easliy. It's flexible and held on with stainless ties they give you in the kit.

It goes on the cat itself and not around the cooler to the cooler can do it's job but not get the heat soak from the cat.

Last edited by pishta50; 08-01-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:11 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

I am going to revive this thread as it's a very good temperature management thread. I just recently did:

DEI exhaust wrap around my transmission
DEI cat shield
2017 z06 front brake ducts
Removed all insulating/plastic covers from engine

My car is a 570 rwhp procharged z51, see picture on left (before removing engine covers) no other power or cooling mods.

90 degree ambient. EOT got to 300 as ECT got to 260. I had to short shift at 6000 rpm to keep from overheating. Also had to take it easy for about a lap every 5th lap or so to decrease temps down to 235-240. I don't think the cat shield did absolutely anything. However the pipe wrap around the transmission seems to have done way more than expected. As long as I didn't redline 3rd, my transmission never got above 220. Prior to this, it matched EOT and ECT (in terms of % of max).

Here is a video of my fast lap. Ambient was 90 degrees. Video starts 3rd lap in session, ECT started video at 220 and ended video at 250. There's no EOT datalogs but it was at 300 anytime ECT was 250+. IAT goes from 120-140 on the 3 laps.

I think my next logical step is a radiator. I cannot install an oil cooler or secondary radiator in the grill without major modification due to position of the massive horizontal procharger intercooler.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:05 PM
malexand123
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Subscribed
Old 11-30-2018, 08:39 PM
GT2BHPPY
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you made any changes that fixes the minor fitment issue under the hood. Why should I spend almost $900 and have to make minor cuts?

Quick Reply: Road Course Upgrades Review DeWitts, Wilwood Z06 Grills