C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 A/C Fan Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 08:32 PM
hansesm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C7 A/C Fan Issue

My 2014 Coupe A/C fan is running non-stop when the A/C is turned on. The fan stops immediately when the A/C is turned off. My local Chevy dealer states "it's normal". But I clearly remember not running all the time.

Am I crazy or not?

Noisy is Texas
Old 06-22-2015, 09:01 PM
bob guzzy
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Of course it runs when the AC is on, if it didn't your car would over heat as soon as the AC was on a few minutes.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:20 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by hansesm
My 2014 Coupe A/C fan is running non-stop when the A/C is turned on. The fan stops immediately when the A/C is turned off. My local Chevy dealer states "it's normal". But I clearly remember not running all the time.

Am I crazy or not?

Noisy is Texas
Fan runs all the time a/c on or off. But you can turn the fan on any speed you want including off anytime you want
Old 06-22-2015, 09:23 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by hansesm

Am I crazy or not?

Noisy is Texas
Are you talking about the fan inside the car or outside in back of the radiator.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:42 AM
rothchilds
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by BJ67
Are you talking about the fan inside the car or outside in back of the radiator.
I assume the radiator fan is what he is saying. Mine runs all the time whenever air conditioner is on.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:04 AM
xp800
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 151 Posts

Both my 2014 and now my 2015 do the same thing as the OP. It's normal.

The car will also run the AC under certain conditions by default mostly in humid conditions.

To disable this, you need to disable Auto Defog in the vehicle settings. Then only AC when button pressed...
Old 06-23-2015, 10:25 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

If you are talking about the engine cooling fan then yes it is normal and has been for a very long time across models. When the AC is engaged and the compressor is running then the engine compartment fan has to run to bring air across the condenser or the AC will not cool and the compressor head pressure will quickly go excessive. Like your home AC system it is not some magical source of cold air but is instead a heat transfer system transferring heat from inside the cabin to outside and that outside rejector of heat (the condenser) must have air flow across it.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:52 PM
hansesm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default But....

Originally Posted by NSC5
If you are talking about the engine cooling fan then yes it is normal and has been for a very long time across models. When the AC is engaged and the compressor is running then the engine compartment fan has to run to bring air across the condenser or the AC will not cool and the compressor head pressure will quickly go excessive. Like your home AC system it is not some magical source of cold air but is instead a heat transfer system transferring heat from inside the cabin to outside and that outside rejector of heat (the condenser) must have air flow across it.
Is it loud enough to hear inside the car? Just seems very loud

Thanks for the quick responses

Get notified of new replies

To C7 A/C Fan Issue

Quick Reply: C7 A/C Fan Issue