C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 LT1 Motor Limit?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 10:49 AM
thegame
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by StingerBG
Only ones I can think of are the Vengeance Racing drop in forged pistons, mainly because they won't require any re-balancing due to the fact that they are a direct replacement for the OEM Cast pistons.
That is an awesome idea.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:24 PM
officermartinez
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by officermartinez
My wife and I wanted to say thanks to everyone for the excellent push of information here on the forums. Today, we took the first step to make it official. Months ago, Theta touched on the subject early on for us when it comes to forged internals for our car. Happy to report that we're taking the next step. In roughly 3 weeks, I will have secured my funding for our car to be stripped down in October. I've already got the parts listed above installed on our C7. Here is a brief summary of the new items to be installed:

TS&P VVT-1 Camshaft (with larger 33% fuel lobe)
TS&P Hardened Chromoly Pushrods
DOD Delete Kit (DOD hole plug, head gaskets, ARP head stud kit, lifter tray and lifters)
Comp Cam Phaser Block
PRC .650" Dual valve springs (including titanium retainers, hardened spring set and new valve seals)
CNC machine port our heads and hone the block
Custom Tune
Circle D PRO III 3200 rpm Torque Converter
Forged Wiseco Pistons and new rings (compression lowered to approximately 9.5 - 10:1)
ECS pulley (bought two different sized ECS pulley's to play with)

OK.. it's official. Baily's Hyperformance Factory took possession of our C7 yesterday evening. After speaking with Chris @ Baily's and Julio from Alky Control, I stepped up to a dual nozzle meth setup. I also spoke with the awesome guys at ECS when I purchased my extra pulley's. Shooting for 13-14 pounds of boost and my latest RWHP estimates should land me solidly in the 800+ RWHP arena. Yay, forged internals.. We're pretty excited.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:49 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 864 Likes on 601 Posts

Awesome. Keep us posted on the build. What's the time estimate?
OK.. it's official. Baily's Hyperformance Factory took possession of our C7 yesterday evening. After speaking with Chris @ Baily's and Julio from Alky Control, I stepped up to a dual nozzle meth setup. I also spoke with the awesome guys at ECS when I purchased my extra pulley's. Shooting for 13-14 pounds of boost and my latest RWHP estimates should land me solidly in the 800+ RWHP arena. Yay, forged internals.. We're pretty excited.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:50 AM
officermartinez
Pro

Originally Posted by C7&7
Awesome. Keep us posted on the build. What's the time estimate?
About three weeks, give or take. SEMA threw us a small curve ball but I think all of the logistics have been worked out.

Another side note.. the day before we dropped off our C7 at Baily's, I scratched up the front Z06 stage 1 splitter on our car while parking . It can be repaired (it's painted carbon flash metallic) but for me, the cost would be the same if I just went ahead and purchased a new one. So, I purchased two more brand new replacement Z06 stage 1 splitters and they are currently being painted at Bruce Lowrie Chevrolet in Fort Worth. One will go on the car and the other will be kept as a spare (because I am sure it will happen again). I will probably just give the damaged one away and let someone who can do paint and body work, work their magic on it.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:09 AM
StingerBG
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

About three weeks, give or take. SEMA threw us a small curve ball but I think all of the logistics have been worked out.

Another side note.. the day before we dropped off our C7 at Baily's, I scratched up the front Z06 stage 1 splitter on our car while parking . It can be repaired (it's painted carbon flash metallic) but for me, the cost would be the same if I just went ahead and purchased a new one. So, I purchased two more brand new replacement Z06 stage 1 splitters and they are currently being painted at Bruce Lowrie Chevrolet in Fort Worth. One will go on the car and the other will be kept as a spare (because I am sure it will happen again). I will probably just give the damaged one away and let someone who can do paint and body work, work their magic on it.
I did the repair on mine and it only cost about $12! But I did already have the 501Q Carbon Flash paint from the first time I painted it.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:24 PM
officermartinez
Pro

C7 LT1 Motor Limit?

I'm hoping some of the big hitters who own C7 LT1's can chime in with their thoughts.. I know fuel will be one issue on the stock pump (even with a 33% increased fuel lobe on the cam + dual nozzle 100% methanol alky control). Any other issues with 800+ rwhp LT1 Stingrays? Transmission? Axles? Output shaft?

I've upgraded the torque converter (Circle D Pro III 3200). For the M7's owners, any suggestions?
Old 11-02-2015, 11:07 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

C7 LT1 Motor Limit?

I'm hoping some of the big hitters who own C7 LT1's can chime in with their thoughts.. I know fuel will be one issue on the stock pump (even with a 33% increased fuel lobe on the cam + dual nozzle 100% methanol alky control). Any other issues with 800+ rwhp LT1 Stingrays? Transmission? Axles? Output shaft?

I've upgraded the torque converter (Circle D Pro III 3200). For the M7's owners, any suggestions?
So far fuel and pistons seem to be the big issues. No issues from the M7 that I have seen.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:02 AM
connyv
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by C7&7
Yea you're not going to get to that kind of power with E85 and the stock fuel system. The low pressure side has to be upgraded as well as the high pressure side with a cam or LT4 setup (or both)

Good recipe:

headers
cam
blower at 10 psi
meth

700-750 to the tire and safe

Anything over I would be thinking a built short block and upgraded fuel system to not have to rely on the meth.

My $.02
nice....that is my goal for next year for a C7 2014....now I just need to find a shop around Gilbert AZ to do that for me!
Old 11-09-2015, 09:38 PM
officermartinez
Pro

My wife and I wanted to say thanks to everyone for the excellent push of information here on the forums. Today, we took the first step to make it official. Months ago, Theta touched on the subject early on for us when it comes to forged internals for our car. Happy to report that we're taking the next step. In roughly 3 weeks, I will have secured my funding for our car to be stripped down in October. I've already got the parts listed above installed on our C7. Here is a brief summary of the new items to be installed:

DOD Delete Kit (DOD hole plug, head gaskets, ARP head stud kit, lifter tray and lifters)
Comp Cam Phaser Block
PRC .650" Dual valve springs (including titanium retainers, hardened spring set and new valve seals)
Custom Tune
Forged Wiseco Pistons and new rings (compression lowered to approximately 9.5 - 10:1)

Just purchased the Borla ATAK exhaust system a few minutes ago. I spoke with Steve at Borla for a full 30 minutes on the BEST system for my particular setup. He recommended this system for my build. That officially means that no part of my exhaust will be factory..

Last edited by officermartinez; 11-09-2015 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:46 PM
ilivas
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I think Vengeance just did a car making 850whp on stock shortblock/heads with cam, ecs 1500 @14 psi, and dual nozzle meth.

You can get away with a lot more power if the fuel is up to snuff. Meth helps a lot.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:46 PM
NinjamanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 102 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Comp Cam Phaser Block
Custom Tune

Just purchased the Borla ATAK exhaust system a few minutes ago. I spoke with Steve at Borla for a full 30 minutes on the BEST system for my particular setup. He recommended this system for my build. That officially means that no part of my exhaust will be factory..

Nice build, man! Keep up the good work. If you still have the dinged up stage 1 splitter, let me know! I might be able to work my magic if you're willing to give it away.

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2015, 01:11 AM
officermartinez
Pro

Originally Posted by ilivas
I think Vengeance just did a car making 850whp on stock shortblock/heads with cam, ecs 1500 @14 psi, and dual nozzle meth.

You can get away with a lot more power if the fuel is up to snuff. Meth helps a lot.
Originally Posted by NinjamanZ51
Nice build, man! Keep up the good work. If you still have the dinged up stage 1 splitter, let me know! I might be able to work my magic if you're willing to give it away.

Thanks!
@ ilivas... That's wonderful news. Hopefully, I will be able to safely push our LT1 to the same levels (or more). We have an ECS 1500 and we have 3 different pulleys in front of us (13-14 pounds of boost).. We've also got a TS&P cam, TS&P head work, forged Wisco pistons w/ lowered compression, American Racing Headers w/ X pipe, Borla exhaust, dual nozzle Alky Meth control, Circle D aftermarket Pro III 3200 RPM converter.. Hoping for 800+ rwhp. Time will tell. If everything goes right, we hope to get our car back before Thanksgiving.

@ Ninjaman51 ...if you want the splitter, we will part with it at no cost.. All we ask is you pay for the shipping. Just warning ya, it can be a bit expensive.

Last edited by officermartinez; 11-10-2015 at 01:11 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:56 PM
NinjamanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 102 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Pm me some pics if you don't mind and we can go from there. Thanks for your time!
The following users liked this post:
BlueKnight87 (01-28-2016)
Old 11-11-2015, 11:30 AM
officermartinez
Pro

Originally Posted by NinjamanZ51
Pm me some pics if you don't mind and we can go from there. Thanks for your time!
I'll shoot you some pictures in a couple of minutes..

*** Sent (3) pictures ***

Last edited by officermartinez; 11-11-2015 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Updated Status
Old 11-28-2015, 03:17 AM
officermartinez
Pro

Just a small update. Hopefully, we will get our car back in the next 10 days or so. Baily's Hyperformance dropped all of the suspension, exhaust system, trans, torque tube and engine. The only thing left was the "shell" of the car. The Circle D 3000-3200 stall was installed and I believe our Borla Atak exhaust was being prepped for install as well. As far as I know, everything was reinstalled minus the engine / front suspension.

We were waiting on the heads to be finished. It's getting close to getting our car back up and going. We bought the Borla Atak cat-back Z06 exhaust (P/N - 11869) and took it locally to Specialized Performance Coatings to be professionally ceramic coated BLACK. We haven't forgotten the wheels and tires. We purchased the non-run flat Michelin PSS's (255 35 19's up front and 295 30 20's in the rear). Those will be mounted on a brand new set of Vertini RF1.1's (19x9.5's fronts, 20x11's rears). It's almost like an early Christmas present.. LOL!

Name:  imagejpeg_9_zpso4xhovb1.jpg
Views: 6485
Size:  136.8 KB

Name:  imagejpeg_0_zpsux54lzo3.jpg
Views: 6423
Size:  146.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3876_1447778524207_zps1qx2t00h.jpg
Views: 6454
Size:  245.0 KB

Name:  imagejpeg_7_zpsrpc08k0b.jpg
Views: 6450
Size:  140.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3906_zpsjwarvdo0.jpg
Views: 6439
Size:  191.1 KB

Name:  IMG_3908_zpsixb0uax7.jpg
Views: 6412
Size:  313.9 KB

Name:  20151124_104015_zpsqougea0i.jpg
Views: 6425
Size:  220.8 KB
Old 11-28-2015, 11:02 AM
blue_bomber697
Drifting

Received 1,296 Likes on 479 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

We haven't forgotten the wheels and tires. We purchased the non-run flat Michelin PSS's (255 35 19's up front and 295 30 20's in the rear). Those will be mounted on a brand new set of Vertini RF1.1's (19x9.5's fronts, 20x11's rears). It's almost like an early Christmas present.. LOL!
Just out of curiosity, why did you get like the smallest tires that fit your new, wider wheels? You could've easily gone to 275 fronts and 305 rears with those wheels still in the MPSS tire. Or gone with sticker tires because I know you have a pretty strong build. I just feel like you still won't be able to get much traction with that set up. (You are supercharged if I remember correctly?)
Old 11-28-2015, 02:12 PM
officermartinez
Pro

Originally Posted by blue_bomber697
Just out of curiosity, why did you get like the smallest tires that fit your new, wider wheels? You could've easily gone to 275 fronts and 305 rears with those wheels still in the MPSS tire. Or gone with sticker tires because I know you have a pretty strong build. I just feel like you still won't be able to get much traction with that set up. (You are supercharged if I remember correctly?)
Very good question! A few reasons. We are supercharged / forged / etc..

#1 - Price to performance ratio. What % of "improvement" will I gain going from a 255 to a 275 & going from a 295 to a 305? Not much at all (if any in real world numbers). But financially, the cost of making that jump would not be worth it to us.

#2 - Form and function. We don't plan on drag racing our car at the local 1/8 or 1/4 mile track each week. Will we dabble from time to time? Probably just a bit. But at the end of the day, it's just a good ole fashioned American sports car. Our focus is to keep it as such. We could have gone with stickier rubber and wider tires (again, the cost to maintain that setup would be much higher). At roughly 800 - 850 rwhp, there isn't really too many tires out there that I know of that would make a good all around tire (all weather tire / street tire / 15,000 - 20,000 mile tire).

#3 - This is probably THE most important of all. Being happy. We are happy with the way our car is. One day, maybe we will get tired of having "295's" in the rear and just go full on crazy by removing the rear ducts and throwing on some "375's" ..But, at the moment, it's not our focus. We are content with a modest looking Stingray, a few aftermarket exterior styling parts, a nice set of wheels, a sexy exhaust note and a tiny 900-1000 crank hp engine. Hehehehe.

The following users liked this post:
Dkroese (01-17-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 LT1 Motor Limit?

Old 11-28-2015, 02:50 PM
blue_bomber697
Drifting

Received 1,296 Likes on 479 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

We are content with a modest looking Stingray, a few aftermarket exterior styling parts, a nice set of wheels, a sexy exhaust note and a tiny 900-1000 crank hp engine. Hehehehe.

Hah... Modest looking stingray... Your car is beautiful and is a huge inspiration. And that engine... Mmm. Thanks for the very appropriate and thought out answer! Definitely makes sense from that point of view.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:12 PM
officermartinez
Pro

Originally Posted by blue_bomber697
Hah... Modest looking stingray... Your car is beautiful and is a huge inspiration. And that engine... Mmm. Thanks for the very appropriate and thought out answer! Definitely makes sense from that point of view.
Thanks for the compliment! I'm heading down to Baily's today. I'm told that my block should be delivered back to them either today or tomorrow. The build is wrapping up and we should get our car back sometime soon. While the car is still on the lift, I am going to swap out my slightly scratched front OEM stage 1 splitter with a new freshly painted front OEM splitter.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:25 PM
5LEEPER
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

what do 700whp C7 vettes run in the 1/4 or 1/2 mile?

Quick Reply: C7 LT1 Motor Limit?