C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone track with a SC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 04:47 AM
kotik
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Does anyone track with a SC?

I have a 2015 z51, but here in Germany 460hp just doesn't cut it. I am constantly getting harassed by RS6's, Ferrari's, and turbo Porsche's and tuner cars. I have successful ran 1 to 1 with GT3 RS 991, but i'd like more power. My autobahn sessions usually last anywhere from 5-15 minutes of driving at WOT, and I see oil temps and tranny temps rise quite significantly. I am planning to remedy that by wrapping my cat back, but that won't do much for the oil temp. I also go to track AT LEAST once a month, sometimes twice. On a cooler day I can run 2 moderate laps around the nurburgring without the car overheating (both tranny temps and oil temps start to go up to the red at the end of second lap, if I drove it hard). This next season i'll also add spa and hockenheim to my track list, which usually create more heat.

So right now i'm contemplating adding xpipe, ported and coated stock manifolds, CAI and larger throttle body, but that will only add 30hp and put me $1500 in a hole. So I was thinking of just throwing one of those $5k SC instead (seems like better $ per HP value), but i'm seriously concerned about heat issues. Is there anyone that has a SC and does hard driving without heat issues? How much is the cars balance affected by a SC system?

I used to have E90 M3 that I ended up SC'ing (ESS 575 kit, to a final output of 600bhp, roughly 510whp) and I never had heat issues with it, and the car's balance was not ruined. I ran many track events, even did Spa in the rain with no significant issues. It handled just as well as when it was stock, and was very manageable and didn't try to kill me.

Last edited by kotik; 12-17-2015 at 04:48 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:03 AM
MikeLsx
Drifting

Received 200 Likes on 151 Posts

every thought about going with heads and cam instead? might be better with the heat. still decent gains.

Last edited by MikeLsx; 12-17-2015 at 05:03 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:40 AM
Steven Popham
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

The supercharger will make more heat, more horses more heat everyone is upgrading the tranny cooler and radiator on these cars that run them hard. I'm going to start working on my cooling in a few weeks

Edit, I have the ecs kit and it makes a world of difference but I would go with the a&a next time

Last edited by Steven Popham; 12-17-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:56 AM
Seannyc
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven Popham
The supercharger will make more heat, more horses more heat everyone is upgrading the tranny cooler and radiator on these cars that run them hard. I'm going to start working on my cooling in a few weeks

Edit, I have the ecs kit and it makes a world of difference but I would go with the a&a next time
What reason to go with a&a next time
Old 12-17-2015, 09:52 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Seannyc
Curious of the same, I truly believe we offer the best kit with the most expense spent in material.

To answer the OP's question though, we have several customers road racing with our supercharger kit. Being that the radiator is not blocked with the intercooler, they do rather well. Especially if the car is a Z51 with the larger radiator.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:59 AM
CDH76
Safety Car

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

I'll let you know in February! Going to Circuit of Americas. We will see how it holds up! ecs kit, meth, headers w/out cats. That will be a cool month here in Texas. I am curious to see how it does in the summer.

Last edited by CDH76; 12-17-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:30 AM
Steven Popham
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

1. I like the scoop on the a&a intercooler I hate the flaps under my car dragging the road.
2. I like the fast shipping time of a&a, can keep promised deadlines
3. I like a&a ships a new balancer with the kit vs bolt on addition
4. No need to change water pump and screw with core returns.
5. The kit is less expensive.

These are the main reasons but #1-2-3 are my big reasons for my statement.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:32 AM
Steven Popham
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by CDH76
I'll let you know in February! Going to Circuit of Americas. We will see how it holds up! ecs kit, meth, headers w/out cats. That will be a cool month here in Texas. I am curious to see how it does in the summer.

Doug, do you answer PM's still?
Keep me in the loop I would like to go with a group of vette guys, that way we can be overheated and crying together
Old 12-17-2015, 11:06 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

1. I like the scoop on the a&a intercooler I hate the flaps under my car dragging the road.

I did not have to do anything with my water pump.

There are some pretty good deals out there at the right time so price should not really be a determining factor given that I'd suspect your within 5-6 percent between the vendors.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:08 AM
david.a8.z51
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
I did not have to do anything with my water pump.

There are some pretty good deals out there at the right time so price should not really be a determining factor given that I'd suspect your within 5-6 percent between the vendors.
Your car must be a 14, not a 15. Explains the water pump.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:12 AM
david.a8.z51
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been sitting on the fence between A&A and ECS for a little while now. ECS has a larger head unit in the base kit and the restrictor plate. A&A has the ram air feature, the nice balancer, and is a little cheaper. Competition makes things great!
Old 12-17-2015, 12:26 PM
blue_bomber697
Drifting

Received 1,296 Likes on 479 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

My car is lowered and the bottom ram air dam scraping bugged me too, so I just trimmed it with a dremel tool. Shaved it down enough so it doesn't really scrape at all, yet still directs air through the intercooler. Easy fix.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:56 PM
Steven Popham
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

I'm going to take the flaps off and weld me an air scoop on top of the intercooler and copy a&a
Old 12-17-2015, 01:56 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321

1, we offer the intercooler either way, the cost is the same to us so it's the same to you. If you would prefer it changed just send it in and we will install it for N/C.
Also keep in mind that those flaps are at the same height as stock, after all those are GM parts for that vehicle.

2, I'm terribly sorry there was a shipping delay with your kit, we had thought your area was 3 days shipping but it took four. We had it boxed ready to go as planned for your Quick install but did not anticipate the extra day in the brown truck. We truly are sorry about that, which is why we offered to put you up in a hotel or anything else we could possibly do. Again, I'm terribly sorry for the day delay, I know it was intrusive to your schedule.

3, We offer the same as an option, we feel the hub is a much easier install, especially for the DIY'r and we have never had a failure to date. Keep in mind that the stock balancer is not running the supercharger like in years past, so it does not have anywhere near the load on it as the C5 or 6's, thus not requiring to change it until you crest into 2200R HP.

4, We machine the housing to fit our HD tensioner, the long term benifits of a matching tensioner to TQ output far out ways swapping a housing IMHO. (2015 only)

Originally Posted by david.a8.z51
I've been sitting on the fence between A&A and ECS for a little while now. ECS has a larger head unit in the base kit and the restrictor plate. A&A has the ram air feature, the nice balancer, and is a little cheaper. Competition makes things great!
But it's not cheaper once you make the other have all the same components that we offer. We simply include more material costs for what we truly feel is a better product. Not saying either is bad by any means, and of course I'm going to be biased to our kit, but we do include more.

Plus some of the deals our vendors offer are just amazing.

I'm going to take the flaps off and weld me an air scoop on top of the intercooler and copy a&a

Like I said, send it in, N/C.

We are working on a vertical option soon also for the non road racers.

Last edited by DOUG @ ECS; 12-17-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:04 PM
Seannyc
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm deffently goin wit the Ecs next summer

Only thing I'm tryin figer out is the new procharger with the new intake they say it adds more Hp so waitin to see if it offers good enough Hp and TQ for now it's Ecs
The following users liked this post:
DOUG @ ECS (12-17-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 02:06 PM
blue_bomber697
Drifting

Received 1,296 Likes on 479 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Only thing I'm tryin figer out is the new procharger with the new intake they say it adds more Hp so waitin to see if it offers good enough Hp and TQ for now it's Ecs
ECS has the best hp numbers pretty consistently, and unquestionably more torque.

That, and the restrictor plate design makes moving up in power a breeze instead of swapping pulleys.
DOUG @ ECS (12-17-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 02:31 PM
Steven Popham
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

Doug, I'm not saying I'm not happy with your kit because I am, I wish we had known about the scoop option, leaving my neighborhood all I hear is the flaps dragging where is the stock z51 never drug. The kit you guys make really delivers on performance for sure. Mike at calvo made the install a success and the car is a blast to drive.
DOUG @ ECS (12-17-2015)

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone track with a SC?

Old 12-17-2015, 02:50 PM
DOUG @ ECS

Unless I'm mistaken, the Procharger intake is only for the C7Z kit. So you can remove the stock supercharger. It would not fit a std C7.

Originally Posted by blue_bomber697
ECS has the best hp numbers pretty consistently, and unquestionably more torque.

That, and the restrictor plate design makes moving up in power a breeze instead of swapping pulleys.
Thanks for noticing, we have come to realize that this is a very addicting game we play, so we try and make it as easy as possible to upgrade the HP without having to make any changes with the base supercharger kit. I think we have achieved that better then any other centrifugal company.

Doug, I'm not saying I'm not happy with your kit because I am, I wish we had known about the scoop option, leaving my neighborhood all I hear is the flaps dragging where is the stock z51 never drug. The kit you guys make really delivers on performance for sure. Mike at calvo made the install a success and the car is a blast to drive.
That's strange, is the car lowered? Either way though, our offer stands indefinitely.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:52 PM
Steven Popham
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

Well I'm fat so it might lower when I'm in it!
Old 12-17-2015, 02:52 PM
NateDieselF4i
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

More info on OP's actual question?

Have any actual info or videos of customers road tracking cars with your system, Doug?

Quick Reply: Does anyone track with a SC?