C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery dead - how do you open the trunk to jump start?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 04:40 AM
xxaarraa
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Battery dead - how do you open the trunk to jump start?

A couple of days ago, I dodged a bullet. I had forgotten to turn off the Range AFM unit when I last parked the car about 10 days ago. I show up, and the driver's side door opens, but passenger door doesn't open. I sit in, and try to start it and nothing. Console doesn't light up. I try to communicate with car via onstar, and nothing.

I close the driver's side door (mistake) and plug the key fob into the steering column thinking its a key fob issue. Nothing. And now I am locked inside the car and cannot get out.

I use my cell phone to lookup where the emergency release handle is (my first corvette), then use the emergency release to let myself out and go around back to pop the trunk. Nothing, trunk release won't work. Go back around and try the button from the driver's side console, nothing trunk still won't open.

Now I am getting annoyed. I go back in through driver's side, use the manual release on the passenger seat and open the passenger door, then let myself into the trunk awkwardly through the front seats and plug in my jump starter via the cigarette lighter socket in the back.

That put enough juice back in the system to let me open the rear trunk, take apart the carpet and finally jump start the car. All kinds of warning lights on - airbag, "engine is in low power mode" this and that. After driving the car for about 10 minutes the warning lights go away.

Question is this - if the battery is completely dead, how the heck does one get access to the trunk to jump start the car? And what use is onstar if it doesn't have redundant power to help in these sorts of situations? Getting locked inside your own car is really stupid.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 07-23-2016 at 04:41 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:37 AM
kennedyd
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

1. Separate metal key from fob.
2. Look over rear license plate (under ledge) for key slot.
3. Insert key and turn.

You can call OnStar on your cell phone and they will help you if they can. If the battery is dead, they can't do anything to unlock the doors either as far as I know.

If car is locked and battery is dead, use above procedure to open trunk. On rear driver's side panel just behind rear wheel is small "T"-handle. Pulling handle opens driver's door.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:23 AM
undercooked chicken
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Why didn't you check your Owners Manual? Would have saved you a lot of grief.

Last edited by undercooked chicken; 07-23-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:54 AM
raylo
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 255 Posts

These threads are actually good to see once in awhile. Otherwise by the time this happens to us we might forget this detail.

Originally Posted by undercooked chicken
Why didn't you check your Owners Manual? Would have saved you a lot of grief.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:27 AM
Cromagnum
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Dont forget not to slam your doors until you reindex your windows. You may not like what happens if you forget.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:04 AM
raylo
Drifting

You must not be here under the (heat) dome. Not ideal top down/off weather!

Originally Posted by Cromagnum
Dont forget not to slam your doors until you reindex your windows. You may not like what happens if you forget.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:17 AM
Cromagnum
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by raylo
You must not be here under the (heat) dome. Not ideal top down/off weather!
Im in Houston. Im at ground zero for the heat it seems like.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:19 AM
raylo
Drifting

Yes indeed, you are! I grew up on the Gulf Coast. With the way the summer weather patterns here blow from the southwest I calll the GOM the mother of all humidity.

Originally Posted by Cromagnum
Im in Houston. Im at ground zero for the heat it seems like.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery dead - how do you open the trunk to jump start?

Quick Reply: Battery dead - how do you open the trunk to jump start?