C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL after installing cam?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 03:29 PM
IELAC7
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default CEL after installing cam?

So I have a base 16 stingray A8 and I had a shop (reliable well known LS shop) do some work. Consisted of intake, headers, x pipe, trans cooler, flex fuel sensor, cam, pushrods, springs, chain, DOD and AFM delete, etc. Once everything was done the car started up right away and everything was great except for the idle, obviously. Didn't drive it, didn't rev it, nothing. Just started, made sure everything was fine and turned off right away.

It got towed to the tuner and upon starting it to verify that everything was fine they realized there were some codes thrown being P0340, P011, and P2089. The car itself was fine, started fine, idled relatively ok, and the tuner really thought it was just some temp codes, cleared them, and started over again but they came back. The car got towed back to the shop that did the work and they are now going to start diagnosing it but everyone is confused since everything seemed to be fine. They are going to start removing the chain cover and see if maybe a cam sensor failed.

They are well known for work on everything <C6 and is the first C7 they work on. They have done LSX swaps, whole motor rebuilds, trans rebuilds, and just about everything. So I'm not really concerned that they don't know what they're doing. But since it is the first one they do a cam swap on we're looking for some help.

Any advice would be appreciated. I forgot the exact specs of the cam but it is pretty much the most aggressive cam we can run without upgrading the converter.

Thanks guys
Old 09-13-2016, 04:43 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by IELAC7
So I have a base 16 stingray A8 and I had a shop (reliable well known LS shop) do some work. Consisted of intake, headers, x pipe, trans cooler, flex fuel sensor, cam, pushrods, springs, chain, DOD and AFM delete, etc. Once everything was done the car started up right away and everything was great except for the idle, obviously. Didn't drive it, didn't rev it, nothing. Just started, made sure everything was fine and turned off right away.

It got towed to the tuner and upon starting it to verify that everything was fine they realized there were some codes thrown being P0340, P011, and P2089. The car itself was fine, started fine, idled relatively ok, and the tuner really thought it was just some temp codes, cleared them, and started over again but they came back. The car got towed back to the shop that did the work and they are now going to start diagnosing it but everyone is confused since everything seemed to be fine. They are going to start removing the chain cover and see if maybe a cam sensor failed.

They are well known for work on everything <C6 and is the first C7 they work on. They have done LSX swaps, whole motor rebuilds, trans rebuilds, and just about everything. So I'm not really concerned that they don't know what they're doing. But since it is the first one they do a cam swap on we're looking for some help.

Any advice would be appreciated. I forgot the exact specs of the cam but it is pretty much the most aggressive cam we can run without upgrading the converter.

Thanks guys
they left the VVt tables stock.... Tell them to zero out the table from 3k down and it will be fixed
The following users liked this post:
IELAC7 (09-19-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 04:48 PM
IELAC7
Instructor

Originally Posted by T/A KID
they left the VVt tables stock.... Tell them to zero out the table from 3k down and it will be fixed
seriously? Don't play with me emotions. Is it really that easy? Lol
Old 09-13-2016, 04:53 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

seriously? Don't play with me emotions. Is it really that easy? Lol
yep... Problem is the factory cam has a lot more movement to it compared to the aftermarket phaser... So on the stock table where it moves quite a bit more causes a problem with an aftermarket cam.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:54 PM
IELAC7
Instructor

yep... Problem is the factory cam has a lot more movement to it compared to the aftermarket phaser... So on the stock table where it moves quite a bit more causes a problem with an aftermarket cam.
I'm waiting on him to call me back to have him try it. If this is it, I owe you a beer. If you're in SoCal lol
Old 09-13-2016, 04:56 PM
T/A KID
Drifting

I'm waiting on him to call me back to have him try it. If this is it, I owe you a beer. If you're in SoCal lol
no worries!!! It will fix the problem
555ctsv (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 08:34 PM
555ctsv
Burning Brakes

Received 785 Likes on 340 Posts

I've got my fingers crossed for ya man! Hope its a simple fix
IELAC7 (09-19-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 09:18 PM
IELAC7
Instructor

no worries!!! It will fix the problem
Nope. Didn't fix the problem. The tuner had already done that apparently.
Old 09-13-2016, 09:18 PM
IELAC7
Instructor

Originally Posted by 555ctsv
I've got my fingers crossed for ya man! Hope its a simple fix
Thanks bud. We'll see. I miss my baby lol
Old 09-13-2016, 10:23 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Ask your tuners if the codes say (Permanent) after the description in the scanner. If so, and there are no fresh instances of the code then they are fixed, but the code itself will not go away. The Permanent listing of the codes do not turn on the CEL and they will only go away after a long time.
IELAC7 (09-19-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 10:34 PM
IELAC7
Instructor

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Ask your tuners if the codes say (Permanent) after the description in the scanner. If so, and there are no fresh instances of the code then they are fixed, but the code itself will not go away. The Permanent listing of the codes do not turn on the CEL and they will only go away after a long time.
ill ask him in a few. He's tuning right now but I really hope they know this. It seems like basic stuff one would know after doing this for so long.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:42 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

ill ask him in a few. He's tuning right now but I really hope they know this. It seems like basic stuff one would know after doing this for so long.
It's new and C7 tuning is not like C6 tuning.

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 09-13-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:44 PM
IELAC7
Instructor

It's new and C7 tuning is not like C6 tuning.
Permanent codes are new? The tuner has tuned plenty of C7s both stingrays and z06s
Old 09-13-2016, 10:46 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Permanent codes are new? The tuner has tuned plenty of C7s both stingrays and z06s
Ok, I read this was the first C7, but you were talking about the wrench.

Permanent codes are newly displayed, let's put it that way.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:15 PM
IELAC7
Instructor

Ok, I read this was the first C7, but you were talking about the wrench.

Permanent codes are newly displayed, let's put it that way.
well I just got off the phone with the tuner and he told me everything. The car wouldn't start initially and that concerned him. He got it to start on the second try but backfired really loudly as soon as it started. Got the codes. Tried to see if it was the VVT table and wasn't. Left the car alone for the night since it was late. Next day the car wouldn't start until the 3rd attempt and there more codes and also backfired extremely loudly upon start. Checked the codes and shut the car off for good and had it towed back to the original shop. None of that was ever mentioned to me. He thinks the cam sensor and actuator are bad probably from wen installing the chain cover back on. Going to keep quiet and check the car out tomorrow and hope nothing is too bad.

I'm so angry and feel betrayed because I wasn't told anything that had happened.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:13 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Yes obviously mechanical with all that new info. No use feeling angry and betrayed, I doubt the lack of communication was personal. Enjoy life, it's just a car and tomorrow's a new day and it will get fixed.

Last edited by Higgs Boson; 09-14-2016 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:16 AM
T/A KID
Drifting

well I just got off the phone with the tuner and he told me everything. The car wouldn't start initially and that concerned him. He got it to start on the second try but backfired really loudly as soon as it started. Got the codes. Tried to see if it was the VVT table and wasn't. Left the car alone for the night since it was late. Next day the car wouldn't start until the 3rd attempt and there more codes and also backfired extremely loudly upon start. Checked the codes and shut the car off for good and had it towed back to the original shop. None of that was ever mentioned to me. He thinks the cam sensor and actuator are bad probably from wen installing the chain cover back on. Going to keep quiet and check the car out tomorrow and hope nothing is too bad.

I'm so angry and feel betrayed because I wasn't told anything that had happened.
If all that's the issue... You have more problems than vvt table then

Get notified of new replies

To CEL after installing cam?

Old 09-14-2016, 12:56 AM
IELAC7
Instructor

Yes obviously mechanical with all that new info. No use feeling angry and betrayed, I doubt the lack of communication was personal. Enjoy life, it's just a car and tomorrow's a new day and it will get fixed.
well I wouldn't feel as bad if it weren't for the lying. I was initially told it was a 3 day job, then 2 weeks and it's now going to be 10 weeks Saturday. When I asked if everything was ok he said the car started up right away at his shop yet the tuner has texts where he asks him what could be wrong because it wouldn't start after closing it up. And he never mentioned anything that happened at the tuners except that the car started up fine, idled fine, but just threw CELs and they took it back to be safe.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:57 AM
IELAC7
Instructor

If all that's the issue... You have more problems than vvt table then
yup. The tuner is thinking its a cam sensor and an actuator.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:23 PM
Translator
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Which shop performed the installation and who is your tuner? Since the shop that performed the installation differs from the tuner, I hope that the "blaming game" does not ensue. Good luck!

PS: You are in great hands with Ben and Cody attempting to assist, especially with the both of them coming together.

Last edited by Translator; 09-14-2016 at 01:46 PM.
IELAC7 (09-14-2016)

Quick Reply: CEL after installing cam?