Question on checking engine coolant level, C7 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page >

Question on checking engine coolant level, C7

Notices
C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on checking engine coolant level, C7

Old 09-21-2016, 05:49 PM
ron landgraf
CF Senior Member

Default Question on checking engine coolant level, C7

In the owners manual there is a reference to the cold fill line on the coolant surge tank.
Is this on the outside or inside of tank?
I don't see a line on the outside.
Removing the cap there is a white, plastic looking piece that looks like it could serve as a level indicator.
Looked on you tube for a video, found none.
Thanks!
Old 09-21-2016, 06:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Thanked 2,958 Times in 2,027 Posts

Originally Posted by ron landgraf View Post
In the owners manual there is a reference to the cold fill line on the coolant surge tank.
Removing the cap there is a white, plastic looking piece that looks like it could serve as a level indicator.
Thanks!
I don't know for sure if this is it or not but look at the bottom front front of the reservoir between the electrical center and the reservoir. My reservoir has a black top with a white body. Right at the bottom of the white body there is a raised white line with two raised white arrows pointing down at it and some sort of symbol between the two arrows. I believe that line is the cold fill line. You may need a pencil style flash light that you can put beside the electrical center aimed at the reservoir to get enough light to see it.

For some reason over the last few decades designers of many consumer products seem to think the human eye can easily discern white on white letters, black on black, blue on blue, etc. It must be something they teach in school, How to make things hard when you don't have to. The brake reservoir on the master cylinder is the same way. Totally invisible to the casual observer but visible if you use a light to generate some shadows to get contrast.

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Dearborn For This Useful Post:
ron landgraf (06-21-2017)
Old 09-21-2016, 06:33 PM
ron landgraf
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn View Post
I don't know for sure if this is it or not but look at the bottom front front of the reservoir between the electrical center and the reservoir. My reservoir has a black top with a white body. Right at the bottom of the white body there is a raised white line with two raised white arrows pointing down at it and some sort of symbol between the two arrows. I believe that line is the cold fill line. You may need a pencil style flash light that you can put beside the electrical center aimed at the reservoir to get enough light to see it.

For some reason over the last few decades designers of many consumer products seem to think the human eye can easily discern white on white letters, black on black, blue on blue, etc. It must be something they teach in school, How to make things hard when you don't have to. The brake reservoir on the master cylinder is the same way. Totally invisible to the casual observer but visible if you use a light to generate some shadows to get contrast.

Bill
Thanks,
I was able to locate the white line. Not easy to see without a pencil light.
Ron
Old 06-21-2017, 05:16 AM
okaythen
CF Senior Member

there is only 1 level indicator right? (min level) and it doesn't say max or min. with couple arrows and "read manual" symbol I guess in the middle.

Very hard to see, so how about max level? no worries for max?

brake fluid I can't see it at all, can't see where the fluid level is even with a flash light.

also for my windshield fluid, there seems to be cut aways or ripped off. (in the center of pic) do you guys' also look like that? odd why is it like that.
Attached Images  
Old 06-21-2017, 07:52 PM
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by okaythen View Post
there is only 1 level indicator right? (min level) and it doesn't say max or min. with couple arrows and "read manual" symbol I guess in the middle.

Very hard to see, so how about max level? no worries for max?

brake fluid I can't see it at all, can't see where the fluid level is even with a flash light.

also for my windshield fluid, there seems to be cut aways or ripped off. (in the center of pic) do you guys' also look like that? odd why is it like that.
that just looks like remnants from the plastic manufacturing. Just visual.
The Following User Says Thank You to BrunoTheMellow For This Useful Post:
okaythen (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 02:13 AM
okaythen
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn View Post

Bill
Only minimal level and no max level on the surge tank right? How often do you guys top off the tank? My coolant gets below the level often, probably because I drive in city traffic a lot.

So any dex-cool will do? There are a few brands. And mix it to 60% drinkable water/distilled water and 40% dex-cool. Last time when coolant was low I filled it up with 9oz of distilled water. So this time I better do coolant and not water only again. This one will do right, cheapest I found. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Prestone-...-1gal/16889200

Do you guys just fill it to the cold line, or do you go over it some? I think I have been driving it below the mark, not too long though the temp was ok.

Last edited by okaythen; 12-02-2018 at 04:10 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:31 AM
f1reb1rd
CF Senior Member

There is a low level indicator on the tank. It is clear like the tank but it has raised lettering and an arrow. Its right at the bottom of the tank where it curves down word and in the front facing the fuse box
Old 12-02-2018, 06:19 PM
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ron landgraf View Post
Thanks!
The line outside is hard to see but that plastic rib inside is perfectly aligned with it. Just fill to the top of that little rib.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:57 PM
madrob2020
CF Senior Member

Only minimal level and no max level on the surge tank right? How often do you guys top off the tank? My coolant gets below the level often, probably because I drive in city traffic a lot.
Should not be losing coolant. It would probably be a radiator cap not sealing, hose(s) clamp not tight, overflow tank cap allowing fluid to escape under pressure. Worst case, check your oil for water contamination from coolant getting past head gaskets or such & getting into engine. I researched this losing of coolant before chiming in with my OPINION.

Last edited by madrob2020; 12-03-2018 at 10:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to madrob2020 For This Useful Post:
okaythen (12-04-2018)
Old 12-04-2018, 11:58 AM
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member

It's not a low level or max level. It's a fill-to mark.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:46 AM
okaythen
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow View Post
It's not a low level or max level. It's a fill-to mark.
Cold fill-to mark right? So there is no low level so when do you know when to fill it when it gets low? just keep checking and fill it to the fill-to mark?

Also in the manual there is no part number for the coolant, it just says dex-cool, so any dex-cool coolant will do?
Old 12-05-2018, 09:17 AM
madrob2020
CF Senior Member

Cold fill-to mark right? So there is no low level so when do you know when to fill it when it gets low? just keep checking and fill it to the fill-to mark?

Also in the manual there is no part number for the coolant, it just says dex-cool, so any dex-cool coolant will do?
Yes, according to my OM for '16 Z, that is COLD fill mark. It may be higher when hot so don't check when hot 'cause you could get STEAMED. It just calls for Dex-Cool so any will do & it should be a 40% Dex-Cool/60% drinking water (according to OM). Most people here recommend distilled water 'cause you never know what minerals/contaminants are in the drinking water which you don't want in the system. Capacity is 11.8 qts. for LT1/LT4. Also found Service Bulletin PIP5330B on corvetteactioncenter.com for '16-'17 all Vettes about loss of coolant or smell of coolant. It says dealer should pressure check system & if leaks are found at outer cylinder head bolts then that/those banks need replaced-OH JOY!

Last edited by madrob2020; 12-05-2018 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:34 AM
okaythen
CF Senior Member

Oh god that doesn't sound good. So you guys don't really lose coolant? My other car would lose coolant I thought it's normal if it's very little.

I googled PIP5330B and got results but searched for it in forum here and I didn't find any beside this thread, interesting I guess few people have this problem or few discovered it.

So PIP5330B sounds like a big job, Sounds like Z might be staying at the dealer for awhile

Last edited by okaythen; 12-06-2018 at 02:38 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:56 AM
madrob2020
CF Senior Member

I would not buy the premixed 50/50 Dex Cool. It's going to take almost 3 gal. of those to REFILL if you flush the system. You are paying for WATER in the premix stuff & it's mixed higher than the OM calls for, whereas the CONCENTRATE you add the water, so you're paying just for Dex Cool (less,1 gal. makes 2 gals @ 50%).

Last edited by madrob2020; 12-06-2018 at 08:57 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question on checking engine coolant level, C7

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: