C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Corvette torque tube failure...again!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 02:47 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Old 03-04-2017, 10:06 AM
csgoman
4th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan4time
Hello Scott, do you feel I would have continued problems with my 2016 Corvette? Either with engine or torque tube/flex plate related problems? Thanks, Dan
Good morning Dan, it's an interesting question and if I used my experience I'd say most likely you would. I believe the failure is in the hold down clamp for the flex plate as I stated before. I haven't as of yet heard of a bulletin that addressed this issue. One concern I have for my fellow owners is that if they have had multiple torque tube failures and the engine hasn't been disassembled and inspected for thrust bearing wear, that they will have a reduced engine life that won't show up until later down the road. Hopefully it becomes apparent under warranty but I'm feeling that there will be a lot of stingray owners in the next few years having engine issues. I've driven my car in all sorts of conditions. Even with 200 days down during the year, I've managed to put 28k miles on it. Every single one of those miles besides the first 1500 were plagued with issues, ranging from engine performance, transmission wouldn't shift out of first (auto), memory seats didn't work, rattles from factory improperly installing interior panels, clunking in rear end, and the right rear control arm coming apart or loose (literally) while driving down the road. We are expecting to pick her up today after the HMI for the radio went into update mode during the control arm repair and the dealer had to repair that before delivering it back to us. It's now been over 30 days at the dealer just for the control arm and the HMI.
The following users liked this post:
Footsam (04-14-2018)
Old 05-13-2017, 06:13 PM
vvarizona
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque tube failed

My 5 month old C7 Grand Sport with 5000miles on it had a torque tube
failure....I can't believe it. I thought GM was building quality cars?
I have 5 other cars...so I don't drive the C7 frequently and I have never raced it or abused it! What is going on???? Any opinions? Will it continue to fail?
Old 05-13-2017, 08:43 PM
Dan4time
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sadly sold the Corvette...

Originally Posted by vvarizona
I have 5 other cars...so I don't drive the C7 frequently and I have never raced it or abused it! What is going on???? Any opinions? Will it continue to fail?
I went through two torque tubes and one flex plate within 5000 miles. Unfortunately I heard some noise a couple weeks after the last time I brought in the car, same noise as the flex plate issue. That was it for me. No more Corvette. I loved the car, was my second one, but this issue kept recurring, so that was all I could take. I am very disappointed. I hope you have better luck than me.
Dan
Old 05-17-2017, 10:37 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

FYI this is occurring in Z06's as well. I took my 16 Z06 in to the dealer yesterday for a noise that I really thought was being caused by the belt tensioner. After a little while the service writer comes to me and says that it's the torque tube and even though my flexplate has been replaced already they have a new one they want installed at the same time. Funny thing is my 11 GS had to have the same thing done to it fairly early on. Once it was repaired it never gave me any more trouble. As I have over 38K miles on it now I hope this one lasts as well. My GS was totalled at just shy of 100K, but it was quiet as a church mouse. I'll keep the board informed.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:18 AM
slcslc5
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2016 C7 Torque Tube / Bearing Issue

Originally Posted by csgoman
Dan, it's very possible engine damage could or would have occurred depending on the length of time and the severity of the torque tube damage. What happens is when the diaphragm style flex plate expands, the prop shaft moves back. Then when throttle is released, it snaps back into position and when the hold down clamp doesn't hold, the splined shaft slips in the flex plate. However the clamp isn't loose enough to let it slide back in so it forces the crankshaft forward into the block. The thrust washer is only half and located in the upper crank main bearing for number 3. This gets damaged easily and causes excessive crank runout or in most cases wil bind the crank and then eventually locks it up. Mine died after I ran it on the freeway because the crank seized in the block due to excessive pressure forced by the torque tube prop shaft. This was indicated by the starter smoking and no crank when trying to restart. The starter was replaced and the engine ran until warmed up and then died again during a roadtrst. Found a noise coming from the flex plate ring gear was hitting the starter drive gear in the rested position. Found torque tube prop shaft had slipped back again and this is evident when looking through the inspection hole of the bell housing. The beating surface of the prop shaft into the housing should be close to flush but was back about a half inch. GM indicated service procedur may not hav been followed and that was the cause of the failure. I know for a fact this wasn't the case as I was the the doing the repair. I did some research after finding the hold down clamp was the same one from the original replacement of the torque tube and also found the Z06 uses a beefier flex plate and carbon torque tube instead of Aluminum. Very possible the added strength and lighter weight of the Z06 setup helps from failures happening as often in those cars. I'm actually wanting to find more owners with the same issues. There is in my opinion a design issue since these failures are happening so soon. In my case at 2500 miles and again 5k miles after and then again another 7k miles after that. I haven't had the car long enough since the eng e was replaced a second time to see if the new Goodwin clamp for the prop shaft does a better job. Highly suspect that people having the flex plate replaced because of the noise which was indicated in a GM bulletin as the flex plate aren't looking at the torque tube when removing it. Therefore when the torque tube gets reinstalled after the plate replacement, it changes the position of the prop shaft to give more clearance to the crankshaft only temporarily until the customer drives the vehicle a little more and then the issue reoccurs. GM has revised the procedure a number of times. An engineer was called out to verify the service procedures were done correctly. I had to one time correct the engineer as the prop shaft to convert or plate was phased incorrectly. I have 28k miles on the car right now and it's still in the shop. I have had another dealer working on it instead of taking it to mine during the last few repairs just to avoid any conflictt of interests. End results still the same. Everyone of those miles but the first 1500 were plagued with issues. My car was ordered under the employee program and built on a Monday 11-16-15. I ordered the car in August of that year. Very disappointed to experience this as my pre 2002 F-Bodies never had these issues.
Add me to the list! I too have a 2016 Z51 with 8000 miles at the dealer waiting for new "complete torque kit to fix that bearing" to come in. I was told that the torque tube caused a bearing to go out and needed to be replaced. I asked about the cause and was told premature wear on faulty bearing. I have to admit I happen to be female and don't know a lot of technical info but appreciate and love high performance cars. I previously owned a 2008 coupe and 2013 GS. Never had a problem with either. But after reading this thread I have to admit I am a little concerned about this possibly happening again and also engine damage. Is there anything you suggest I make sure is checked, repaired or replaced or should I just trust the dealer to fix the problem . . . ?
Old 06-11-2017, 01:39 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Hi Dan
You aren't the only one. I too have a Z51 and am also on my 3rd torque tube, 3 engines, rear axle, control arm. The kicker is I'm also a tech and have worked on my own car unde warranty. The torque tube puts wear on the thrust bearing which is the number 3 main bearing and tears up the crank and hammers the block. "
My god....those are serious issues get rid of that thing!
Most new cars may have some teething issues but thats insane

Seems to be the more pricy a car the more headaches they have sorry to hear that man.

only had 3 problem child vehicles, (owned close to 50 of em)they were all brand new late model stuff

Keep us posted!!
(btw that shark grey looks killer!)
Old 06-11-2017, 02:07 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by slcslc5
Add me to the list! I too have a 2016 Z51 with 8000 miles at the dealer waiting for new "complete torque kit to fix that bearing" to come in. I was told that the torque tube caused a bearing to go out and needed to be replaced. I asked about the cause and was told premature wear on faulty bearing. I have to admit I happen to be female and don't know a lot of technical info but appreciate and love high performance cars. I previously owned a 2008 coupe and 2013 GS. Never had a problem with either. But after reading this thread I have to admit I am a little concerned about this possibly happening again and also engine damage. Is there anything you suggest I make sure is checked, repaired or replaced or should I just trust the dealer to fix the problem . . . ?
Its hard to say if you should trust the dealer. Depends on if they know what there doing or not. The description they gave you is too vague. If they are referring to the crankshaft bearing then that requires disassembly of the engine. Maybe they should be replacing the entire engine or maybe they are just referring to a bearing in the torque tube.
You could ask them if they followed this procedure. http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...dure-1313.html
Old 06-12-2017, 01:27 PM
Dan4time
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
Its hard to say if you should trust the dealer. Depends on if they know what there doing or not. The description they gave you is too vague. If they are referring to the crankshaft bearing then that requires disassembly of the engine. Maybe they should be replacing the entire engine or maybe they are just referring to a bearing in the torque tube.
You could ask them if they followed this procedure. http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...dure-1313.html
Hello, after two torque tubes, and flex plate issues, all within 5000 of new, I sadly got rid of the Corvette. I am very, very disappointed. I loved the car, but knew I was in for more issues in the future. It can cause major crank damage, and all associated parts.
slcslc5 (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 05:46 PM
slcslc5
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks DJ - I will. Supposed to get the car back Thursday. I'll keep my fingers crossed and post the outcome.
djnice (06-12-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 04:25 PM
DadS
Cruising

Originally Posted by Dan4time
Thank you, I love the car. I had a 2014 Laguna Blue Corvette (my first Corvette), now I own a 2016 Shark Grey Corvette, auto, Z 51 package, magnetic ride control. A lot of fun to drive. I have 5500 miles on it. Had two torque tubes, and now a flex plate replaced. I think its all good now!

Nice! Enjoy it.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:54 AM
terry50
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 16 stingray. The other day i put it in passing gear to go through a yellow light. It went into passing gear. When letting off the throttle it stayed at the same r.p.m . Its like putting it in first gear, and taking it up to 50, and let go of the gas. R,p.ms stayed up. Its a auto 8 speed. Anyone else with this problem
Old 07-25-2017, 10:42 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Maybe it was in performance shift mode, which it will engage automatically when driving hard. It should have went back to normal within 10 seconds or so.

Last edited by djnice; 07-25-2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:14 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by djnice
Maybe it was in performance shift mode, which it will engage automatically when driving hard. It should have went back to normal within 10 seconds or so.

Discussed in the Owner's manual. I call it puppy mode! Ooh, Ooh, let's play and drive spirited!

Track – Performance Algorithm
Shift (PAS) recognizes
aggressive cornering, heavy
braking, and high acceleration to
select and hold lower gears
when not using paddles.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 07-25-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:35 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

as djnice and eboggs noted the transmission was behaving exactly as intended. GM automatics in their sport/performance oriented vehicles have included some form of PAS/PAL (performance algorithm shift/performance algorithm liftfoot) for over a decade and what you did triggered PAL. It assumed after an aggressive maneuver you were likely to continue driving in that manner so it held the lower gear just as a manual transmission driver would do under the same circumstances.

It can be unnerving the first time you experience it as I experienced it in my then new 2008 Cadillac CTS the first time I did a fast merge onto an interstate shortly after break-in miles were complete. The first thought is "what did I break?". When the transmission goes into performance mode and you don't like the results you can normally override it by holding in the + paddle for a second and this will take you back to normal "boring" mode.

Last edited by NSC5; 07-25-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:54 AM
Anita Schoenfeld
1st Gear

Default Torque tube failures

Originally Posted by vvarizona

I was just on this thread about 2 weeks ago about the failure of the torque tube on my 2016 C-7 Stingray. I don't race it, never exceeded 65mph for the first 1000 miles, etc etc. I don't drive it much but it has now 9000 mi. Suddenly heard rumbling in differential when backing up or shifting into 1st. It was diagnosed as a torque tube issue. However, there were no parts ANYWHERE in distribution and no idea when they would be available. All of the available parts where committed to new buildout.

I contacted the Region and they were rude and useless. So I emailed MARY BARRA...the CEO of GM. The next day I got a call from the Executive Office. Nice people. Part was available in 3 days and it took 3 days for the repair. I hope I won't have a problem again, but I doubt it based on what I am seeing.

I strongly suggest when this issue comes up that you email Barra. It needs to be elevated to her level if we want to get this issue resolved. The email address is:
mary.barra@gm.com
Old 11-13-2017, 05:41 PM
Owen MC
Cruising

Default Random misfiring in c6 with no trouble codes

Hi Dan
You aren't the only one. I too have a Z51 and am also on my 3rd torque tube, 3 engines, rear axle, control arm. The kicker is I'm also a tech and have worked on my own car unde warranty. The torque tube puts wear on the thrust bearing which is the number 3 main bearing and tears up the crank and hammers the block. I can go into greater detail but it seems to have come down to the hold down clamp for the torque tube prop shaft appears to have a torque to yield bolt and that doesn't call for replacement in the service procedures. I've deducted on my own and reported it to the engineers through GM technician assistance. As of just now I started a case with GM to replace the car. I have worked for GM for a number of years and understand their procedures and policies very well. Please feel free to contact me and I am sure I can answer many of your questions. I've tried to stay silent about my ordeal as to keep from influencing others. Keep in mind I've owned my 16 Z51 since December 2015 and I put on 28k miles on the car and it's been in the dealer more days than I've had it in my driveway and that isn't an exaggeration. Over 200 days down. There is so much more I've experienced but hopefully it all works out in the end. I'm here to help,

Scott "GO MAN"
Scott, I’ve been trying to figure out a random misfire in my 2011 grand sport. No codes. It’s at the dealer now. I’ve changed out the plugs and wires with the plugs gapped at .040. I’ve swapped out many parts from my 2013 grand sport with no change in problem. It occurs when decelerating and will continue with about 10% throttle. Any more or less and no misfire. The dealer has cleaned the intake and injectors and it is still there. A GM bulletin said to check the torque tube coupling before going any further in the engine. Oh and it’s getting about 12.3 mpg. It has alwYs had 93 octane fuel run in it. I’ve heard no vibration or felt any except when decelerating and then very little throttle as i said. Have you ever seen this problem.

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 Corvette torque tube failure...again!

Old 12-13-2017, 11:26 AM
Ag4life96
4th Gear

Default Torque Tube, Driveshaft, & Drive Belt Tension issues - 2017 Stingray

Hi Dan
You aren't the only one. I too have a Z51 and am also on my 3rd torque tube, 3 engines, rear axle, control arm. The kicker is I'm also a tech and have worked on my own car unde warranty. The torque tube puts wear on the thrust bearing which is the number 3 main bearing and tears up the crank and hammers the block. I can go into greater detail but it seems to have come down to the hold down clamp for the torque tube prop shaft appears to have a torque to yield bolt and that doesn't call for replacement in the service procedures. I've deducted on my own and reported it to the engineers through GM technician assistance. As of just now I started a case with GM to replace the car. I have worked for GM for a number of years and understand their procedures and policies very well. Please feel free to contact me and I am sure I can answer many of your questions. I've tried to stay silent about my ordeal as to keep from influencing others. Keep in mind I've owned my 16 Z51 since December 2015 and I put on 28k miles on the car and it's been in the dealer more days than I've had it in my driveway and that isn't an exaggeration. Over 200 days down. There is so much more I've experienced but hopefully it all works out in the end. I'm here to help,

Scott "GO MAN"
Hey Scott! I'm having similar issues with my 2017 Z51 Stingray. This is my 3rd Corvette starting with a 2008 Coupe (Red), 2014 Stingray (Black), and this one. I traded the 2014 in b/c at 29K miles, 2 engine lights kept coming on and the A/C was intermittent. I figured i would dump it and get a new one that was white...my favorite. I just got it in September and it only has 2600 miles on it. On Sunday, 12/3/17, i started hearing this horrible noise while idle at lights and even while driving and when you make a sharp turn, it would make a popping sound. Anywho, I pulled over in a parking lot and made this video so you can hear the engine noise.

It has been in the shop since 12/4 and to my knowledge, the following repairs have been done so far. I am female and know nothing about cars, but here is a list of repairs from the Service peeps to date:
1: Replaced front deflector-skirt (This was broken to my surprise upon arriving to the dealership...i know i didnt hit anything to break it...i'm wondering if it fell off and broke due to all these other issues...but they wont admit to that)

2: Replaced tensioner-fixed the ticking noise

3: Replace bolt-goes on clamp for driveshaft to engine per TAS. That reduced the rattle, knocking noise but didn't fix it. TAS recommended replacing driveshaft assembly (aka torque tube)

Any thoughts or input to my situation? I am like Dan in this post...i LOVE Corvettes and my husband thinks they are a piece of crap. With that said, i just pray this is a one off and will be fixed. Listen to my video and let me know what you guys think.

JB
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Corvette Engine noise 2017.mp3 (216.9 KB, 175 views)
Old 12-15-2017, 12:05 PM
Ghostnotes
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I have my engine out 7sp, with 22k miles. Prior to removal i had no issues but is this something i need to check while it's out or after it goes back in. End play can be checked while coupled. Or would it be recommended to replace anything while its down. Any input related to that?
Old 12-17-2017, 11:38 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,218 Likes on 3,459 Posts

As said, things happen for reasons. A dealer needs to find the cause of your recurring issue. It's NOT common; something is amiss. When I worked for dealerships as a kid the corporations had factory reps who were trained to go to dealerships and help figure out such conundrums.

Last edited by Avanti; 12-17-2017 at 11:42 PM.

Quick Reply: 2016 Corvette torque tube failure...again!